Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls: Urine Trouble Now!

• Please log in to reply

156 replies to this topic

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

This show has a premise I should enjoy. I don't know why it just doesn't grab me... or rather it hasn't yet.

Captain Tact II

Captain Tact II

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

Needless to say I was a bit annoyed at yet another stereotype, black people who have a problem swimming.  I wonder what stereotype they'll show next.

Yeah, but this was a black BOAT CAPTAIN who couldn't swim!  I think it was more a matter of "people who are in worse shape than they think they are" and can't swim.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

Agreed. This wasn't really even a swimming issue - they had something to float on. It was a strength issue. They couldn't paddle themselves hard enough against the current.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

This show has a premise I should enjoy. I don't know why it just doesn't grab me... or rather it hasn't yet.

Well there's a back aching for the lash!

I thought the first episode was the most compelling. I was riveted. The second one was a comparative letdown. The third was passively enjoyable. Good enough for summer viewing but I hope it picks back up on the challenges and less focus on the pairs. This isn't the amazing race. Make them drink more urine.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

So where is tonight's episode filmed?  

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

She seriously didn't see the duck embryos coming? And then they both flounced and didnt feed the camp? Good riddance.

The guys have a point. They are hauling packs and picking up the slack for the weaker members while the kid and his dad stand around and conserve energy.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

I think the whole show is filmed in NZ, isn't it?

My tween thinks Bear is trying too hard to appear manly so is in the closet.  I was really hoping we'd see him crouched behind a tree with binoculars watching the father and son in the hot tub.

The dude is really making me appreciate Jeff P. and Phil K.  

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 7:01 AM

I'm amazed that Bear can't grasp the concept that there are some things you just can't bring yourself to eat when you're not literally fighting to live. This is a game show; not at all the same.

That said how are these people surviving unless they get more food than we see? Beans aren't a perfect protein - that's why they so often get paired with corn which has the proteins the beans don't. And yeah the rice is carbs but still- are they eating more than 1200 calories a day?

Donna was done and dragged Canden (Canden? What the hell?) down with her so I'm fine with them going.

That via ferro looked brutal but then I suffer slightly from vertigo.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 7:35 AM

You could live a long life on beans and rice.  They don't seem to be losing weight yet, at least not like Survivors do, so I imagine they're getting enough calories to replace what they're burning, or somewhat close.  That pot of beans looked HUGE.  They might not get it on 'excursion nights' but I wouldn't be eating maggots and shit if I knew I had an all-you-can-eat bean buffet coming the next day.  

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

That's a bigger pot than they've shown before. I hope the maggots and everything are providing the other vitamins and minerals. Also he should be giving them brown rice, not white.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 7:53 AM

I'm used to seeing a pot of rice on Survivor and everyone getting a half a cups worth at the end so I thought the pot was huge too! 

I think Bear's point is that the gnarly stuff he brings them is their source of protein and other vitamins that they need to have sustained energy in the wild.  While they may be able to survive on rice and beans, they will not be as strong, especially as time goes on, if they don't eat the crawly things.

I was actually captivated watching people eat the maggots last night.  It was hard for me to imagine being that hungry.  I think if he would have called them "field worms" or just said they were something that they weren't, then I would have been ok with it!  But my mental association with maggots is just.....gross!

The duck thing didn't look that bad, especially since they had fire.  But the lame part was that the mother daughter team didn't even bother and just ran off.  I thought she was going to say that she had pet ducks or something like that.  And the daughter could have also finished the task but she ran off too.  Lame.  I think both the food and shelter teams were terrible.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

The show is only eight episodes.  I wouldn't worry about their nutrition.  I think the gross eating is more like Fear Factor-- do it or get eliminated because it makes good tv to see people eating disgusting things.  

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

I wonder if when people were cast for this show, they specifically didn't want survivalist types, I haven't seen any women on this show like the women on "Naked and Afraid." 

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

I have to admit, I'd have a total freak out too if I found out I just boiled a bunch of unhatched baby ducks.  And then I would eat them.  I liked that that one guy said, "This is why I'm a vegeterian" while he was eating one.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

The dude is really making me appreciate Jeff P

Bear is definitely coming across as a pretentious ass, but nothing can every make me appreciate Jeff Probst.

This time I agreed with the decision on who should go. Robin and Wilson have squeaked by two weeks in a row but Robin had such a positive attitude this time whereas Donna was just in total meltdown mode. As soon as someone sits down and cries and says "I can't do this," they should be out.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

I was surprised how young Robin and Wilson are.  I think they're like 36 and 40.  Jim is 61.  

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 6:41 PM

I'm amazed that Bear can't grasp the concept that there are some things you just can't bring yourself to eat when you're not literally fighting to live. This is a game show; not at all the same.

I agree. If I was truly starved, I would eat them.  But there is no way I could do that. I'd go hungry temporarily or quit the -show-.  It's entertainment, not life. As a rule, I don't eat babies; no lamb, no veal, no duck embryos.  Any egg I eat is unfertilized.

I switched the channel after that.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

Robin and Wilson are that young?  Really???  WOW.  Actually, I don't believe it.

The vegetarian guy does have a good sense of humor.

Is Bear coming off more smug to people than I am picking up?  He seems like a nice guy.  I wouldn't want to go on a date with him but as far as show hosts go he seems relatively Meh.  He doesn't get a lot of air time.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

He doesn't get a lot of air time.

Having seen some of his other work, that's a good thing. Maybe he'll have the survivetestants do THIS at some point (video may not be for the squeamish):

Bear Grylls turns a dead seal into a wet suit

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Kk1Cte0arDE

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

Anyone surprised that  Robin & Wilson didn't get booted ?

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

I wasn't. I knew when the food team abandoned the rest of the group they were toast.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

What I'm learning is that verbalizing discomfort in the wild is worse than being a draggy anchor.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

What I'm learning is that verbalizing discomfort in the wild is worse than being a draggy anchor.

Yeah it's sort of a 50/50 proposition. Neither team has a shot at winning, obviously, and either could have gone this week. But I think the mother and daughter were singled out more for abandoning their food duties rather than complaining.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

It looks like there's only one woman left in the competition?

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

Snarky sleep in girl with father and brown haired girl who stands around while her boyfriend does all the work. 2 chicks?

hjmugillecuty

hjmugillecuty

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

I agreed with Lucky about the traverse(?). His hands were already cramping and there was no one to help push him with the pulley. While it would have been more "Bear-like" to at least try it, it was better for the team for him to just be pulled across. If he had tried it and taken too long, it would have been too dark to get the eels and even later when the fire was ready.

I did think that Lucky and Louie might be sent home for it, but when Robin and Wilson didn't listen on how to make the shelter I knew they were done for. They lasted much longer than I expected.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

I agree with Lucky as well. Isn't the good of the group important especially since they didn't have flint fire? That rope was hard even on a good day, let alone cold, wet, fatigued with numbed appendages.

Bear said put the tarp underneath them. Neither of them must have heard that. They still did well though.

Props to the eel wranglers.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 6:56 AM

I wonder about the casting for this show.  After seeing Naked and Afraid on Discovery, I wonder if they deliberately cast people who had no survival experience.  On Naked and Afraid, the women, except for maybe one, knew more about survival than the men.  

I have a feeling that they didn't want anybody with survival backgrounds because Bear is the star, Bear is the teacher, Bear has to show them everything and rush in to save the day.  That would not happen if the contestants were more knowledgeable of survival.

I have never really liked Bear, I always preferred Les Stroud.  I think Bear is more famous because he's more conventionally good looking, plus I think he marketed himself more.  Les always seemed like a pretty laid back guy.

This show feels like one long infomercial for Bear's gear and whatever company furnished the "gift baskets."

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 7:50 AM

I wonder about the casting for this show. After seeing Naked and Afraid on Discovery, I wonder if they deliberately cast people who had no survival experience.

It seems to me that part of the point of the show is that these people have little survival experience.  It's what makes it more interesting to me because most of the participants are more like me.  It would be a different show if those involved had a lot of survival experience, and one I probably wouldn't watch.  Chacon a son goute, I guess.

Edited by proserpina65, Aug 6, 2013 @ 7:51 AM.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

I thought the people who built a separate shelter should have been reprimanded for it. It bothered me that they got to sleep in comfort while the food team got stuck with the crap the shelter people built.  The food team didn't have the option of making a separate shelter- they were off catching eels (cannot believe that "grab them with my bare hands" strategy worked) and got stuck with a terrible nights sleep.