Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls: Urine Trouble Now!

• Please log in to reply

156 replies to this topic

North of Eden

North of Eden

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

...and one and done.

Worst reality show since PIRATE MASTER which is the last reality show I gave up on even before it was cancelled.

I went into this knowing nothing. I have no idea who Bear Grylls is or why he's "famous" and I don't really care. This show had way too many problems. To me competative reality  shows are the spiritual ancestor of gladiators fighting it out in arenas. I don't want to see teams working together to help each other! I want them pitted against each other. Secondly I don't like that the host decides who goes. There is a reason SURVIVOR doesn't do those subjective competitions like they did in the early seasons with a judge deciding who did what better....competitions should be clearly won or lost on one's own merits....not someone's opinion. This was just terrible.

It's sad that 72 HOURS on TNT is being watched by vitually no one and it blows this out of the water in terms of grueling physical competitions in the wild plus there is great conflict even within the own teams. So...goodbye to this kumbya version of a reality show. I can't beliefve NBC

didn't renew LOVE IN THE WILD this summer apparently in favor of this horrible offering.

ottomaddox

ottomaddox

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

I'm undecided on the host judging the competition. I can see a point for letting the group decide, but then again, Hell's Kitchen seems to be pulling it off. I feel particularly sorry for anyone that had asparagus the night before filming...

gigi1701

gigi1701

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

I had to drink my own urine for some health kick thingy I did thirty years ago. It really isn't that bad and if the alternative is death then drinking urine is it! Really if it is your own, it kind of works, if there are no other alternatives, then you make it work. I didn't know about heating the muddy water, but should that ever be an issue, it is good to know. Fun show, love Bear from his other shows, I thought a competition would be weird, but so far I am okay with it.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

I like the idea that Bear is doing the eliminating.  Alliances won't help to vote off the team the others are afraid of.  Often on these shows the weak players team up to eliminate their competition.  I just want to see the strongest team win.

susannot

susannot

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

I kind of like the show, for 2 reasons:

1-the spectacularly gorgeous New Zealand scenery where the epic Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed;

2-as far as reality tv shows go, it is absolutely never going to make anyone a STAH.  For famewhores, it is a very bad idea.  Most of the attractive people were puking and looking ridiculous by show's end.  Less good-looking, but competent people, will win.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

I was surprised at how entertaining this was.  The first episode was faster and more jam packed...I watched it on DVR and was hooked!  Tonight's episode was more storylined but still fun to watch.  I don't mind the product placement...I'm used it from Survivor and well, somebody has to pay for these productions don't they??

The scenery is quite spectacular and the teams aren't really loathsome (yet).  Sure they are diverse but what reality show isn't?  At least the stuff they are doing is entertaining.

Do they get to keep the P&G stuff to take with them?

Bear Grylls is kinda cool.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

I felt that the producers of this show wanted to show, once again white supremacy, that white people can do anything and everything better than anybody else.

I hardly think that's the case. The two girls simply didn't belong on a show like this. But there's the Catch-22 - do they cast all teams made up of healthy young survivalist experts? Or do they try to cast  racially diverse "regular joes?" The former would probably make for a rather unexciting, if someone educational, program, whereas the latter consists of a lot of folk that simply aren't cut out for this type of experience.

But my point is that it seems they ALWAYS cast people of color, especially black people who aren't cut out for that type of experience.  

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

I was kind of surprised to see Team Esmeralda go - I really thought it would be the girl with her mother. I guess it's kind of a toss-up at this point, none of the three teams called out for being in danger is going to make it to the end.

This week's wasn't as good as last week's, but I did like how they had to actually make the slingshot themselves.

The prize was . . . deodorant? Honestly? Isn't that about the last thing on earth you'd care about during a trip like this? I'd rather have the toothbrushes.

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

I am really enjoying this show.  I like a true competition with one judge at the end.

The mix of cooperation and competition is terrific and tru to life.

I also really love not having the stunt casting Survivor and others have devolved to.

Am having fun and looking forward to it each week.

fountainof

fountainof

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 8:03 AM

I am not sure if I like it yet.  I do like that it is kind of like EcoChallenge for ordinary people.  I love the idea of EcoChallenge and have watched it when it was filed and this is kind of like that but not wit competitive teams that train for the challenge.

The first episode was a bit boring as the tasks were easily done by the teams in that category.  I liked that in the second there was more fatigue and teams couldn't complete what they were assigned.  It would be nice if there was a team with generally fitter, more outdoorsy women, as the man/man teams are seemingly in the lead overall and it doesn't have to be that way.  Some of the problems this week were altitude related and the woman could have trained for that.  Maybe no one trained at all?

As a woman it kind of annoys me that for a lot of these teams the woman expect the guy to conpensate for them.  It is only episode two!  I was glad the team that went did as Esmerelda just talked too much about the guy being there for her and nothing about she could support him at all.  Poor guy he will be living his life to make hers better while she gives no consideration to his needs at all.

Captain Tact II

Captain Tact II

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Other than the egregious shilling of P&G, and the pee drinking, I liked the show.  I thought it was funny when Bear would spy on the teams and whisper to the camera like he was observing wild animals in their habitat.

Ha!  I KNEW there was something I liked about that!!  And I don't mind the shilling too much...it allows for more show time than normal (I think), since it builds a commercial or four into the program itself.

As far as the elimination/casting of minorties goes...I don't think it has a lot to do with some kind of White Power kick as it does the type people who are willing to fame whore on TV.  So far the most rational seem to be the (assumedly) retired dude and his son and the boat captain and his wife...

Assuming we weren't edited into submission and the two black women really didn't do much for prepping the meat to make sure there was food for the road...I can see the arguement to send them home.

having said that, the woman who vomited and the guy who jumped in fully clothed were both strong candidates for elimination.  Either one of those attributes (physical illness and jackassery) are just as bad as laziness and lack of forethought.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

As a woman it kind of annoys me that for a lot of these teams the woman expect the guy to conpensate for them.  It is only episode two!  I was glad the team that went did as Esmerelda just talked too much about the guy being there for her and nothing about she could support him at all.  Poor guy he will be living his life to make hers better while she gives no consideration to his needs at all.

The women on this show are so different from the more outdoorsy women on "Naked and Afraid" on Discovery.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 8:13 AM

But my point is that it seems they ALWAYS cast people of color, especially black people who aren't cut out for that type of experience.

I don't watch Naked and Afraid but I've seen strong black competitors overall on The Amazing Race.  My favorite winners were probably Uchenna and Joyce, who faced some of the toughest challenges I've seen. 

Survivor does get some of what I'd consider to be contestants who either fit or are very willing to act out black stereotypes fairly regularly, though.  I don't think they're 'screening in' people who will fail physically so much as people who will generate water cooler buzz with their social game. 

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

Yeah I think every fast forward should have double hair shaving!

The right couple went home tonight. Tantrums are never adviseable and muttering eating 3 grubs and being full is never going to endear you to people. Her boyfriend also did not help break logs for grubs and they both were paddling like they were in Lazyboy recliners. Lame!

I can't believe Bear jumped in! That was bizarre. He could have sent home 3 teams tonight.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 6:36 AM

She wad a real Whiny McWhinerson and more than deserved to go. Her "I am sensitive so I cry! " made my teeth grit. Yeah the others aren't tired or hurt or cold or wet or hungry. Just you, princess.

Grubs. Yum. Not.

I loved the sinking boat race. Please have more tests like that.

limaro

limaro

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

I was predisposed to like this show.  I always loved Bear's show so I'm glad to see him back on my screen. Once I accepted the staged aspects, it was entertaining and mildly educational.

And I'm pretty certain Survivorman Les Stroud (the real reality survivor star)  won't ever stoop to this sort of shilling. So I've got to get my fill of Bear.

GOA has not disappointed.  Bear's heroic dive into the water was a bit cheesy even for me, though.  I'm not sure anyone was at too terrible a risk there.

So far I've agreed with all the eliminations, and been happy for all the reward winners.

Surely the contestants know what they're up to when they sign on.  Dumb decisions, being upset at not doing as well as you thought you would  and failure to thrive are acceptable contestant reactions in my book.  But anyone who whines about cold and hungry deserves to go home for pissy bitchery.

LostintheHouse

LostintheHouse

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

Product Placement Over-Exposure:  So last night we not only had P&G products, we had Walmart steaks. 

Surely there must be several choices of plants to fill the belly and satisfy protein needs.  Because grubs and worms and other live, crawly things are truly icking me out.

Glad that Whiny Girl got eliminated, and happy that her supportive, excuse-making boyfriend left with her.  Loved his post-elimination interview:  "I'm still going to marry her, though."  Ugh.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

I'm not sure anyone was at too terrible a risk there.

Yeah, a couple of underwater shots seemed to indicate their feet were about a foot away from the bottom, so I don't really think drowning was an issue.

That said, I do think Robin and Wilson should have gone home before Spencer and Alicia. Granted, neither team was going to make it to the end, but Good Lord, Robin and WIlson couldn't even paddle themselves to shore even with something to float on. Everyone else managed to do that, even Alicia. The fact that the host had to jump in and pull them to shore should have sealed their fate right then and there. Forget about making it to the end, they couldn't even make it to shore!

I think Chris and Jeff, the Texas buddies who won the last challenge, are the most likely to win this whole thing as long as Jeff's knee holds up. If not them then maybe Royce and Kyle or Austin and Jim, the father and son team. I definitely think it's going to be a two-male team.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

Surely there must be several choices of plants to fill the belly and satisfy protein needs.  Because grubs and worms and other live, crawly things are truly icking me out.

Yeah, me too. I was wondering if skipping the grub eating was an option because the dehydration from the ensuing vomiting would do me in. Also, I liked the happy dance girl. Yes, it's a  obnoxious, but I'm a happy dance kind of person so I was with her on that.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

They are also apparently provided with rice and beans at the end of each leg, so maybe some of them figure they can get by on that. In truth that's probably providing them with more nourishment than a few grubs or weeds.

LemonLane

LemonLane

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 4:36 PM

The product placement amuses me for some reason. I now refer to it as the Proctor and Gamble mystery box. 

Bear jumping it to the water. That was cheesy. I don't think they were close to death but they certainly needed a bit of help.

I think the lack of food, not sure if they are just eating what we see or if there is other food provided, and all the hard tasks are getting to them. The lack of attention and the emotional breakdowns all point to being tired and hungry. I'd say most of them were not prepared for this sort of level of tasks. it's not exactly like an average day hike on a marked trail.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 7:06 PM

I think Alicia had to go, a negative attitude can be really difficult to deal with and dangerously infective in a difficult situation like they're in. And I'm enjoying this show in spite of my intense dislike of Bear Grylls. I used to watch his survival show, but so many times he demonstrated very dangerous and potentially fatal survival techniques. I felt like if people who were truly in a survival situation emulated him they'd likely get themselves killed. But as a host of this competition, I don't have much trouble with him.

But when it comes to actual survival in real circumstances, give me Les Stroud over Bear Grylls every day of the week,

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 8:07 PM

But when it comes to actual survival in real circumstances, give me Les Stroud over Bear Grylls every day of the week,

Totally with you on this, misterbfd.  Also, Stroud only eats disgusting stuff when he has to, and doesn't have a urine fetish.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

I had made chicken for dinner.  Then the roe footage came on.  So our chicken went into the frig for tomorrow and we had iced coffee smoothies for dinner instead. 

gigi1701

gigi1701

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 12:37 AM

Then the roe footage came on.

Didn't they have a fire going? Wouldn't they cook the roe instead of eating slimy and raw? I have seen it used on Iron Chef many times it is a delicacy. Why be purposely gross??  The bug challenges really get to me. I know that tribal cultures eat them, and they cook them a lot of the time. I understand eating raw if not in a place you can have a fire, but if you do have a fire what is the point of not cooking it?

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:24 AM

I think mostly because Bear rarely is depicted cooking anything.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

That said, I do think Robin and Wilson should have gone home before Spencer and Alicia. Granted, neither team was going to make it to the end, but Good Lord, Robin and WIlson couldn't even paddle themselves to shore even with something to float on. Everyone else managed to do that, even Alicia. The fact that the host had to jump in and pull them to shore should have sealed their fate right then and there. Forget about making it to the end, they couldn't even make it to shore!

The thing about Alicia though is that a bad attitude can really kill everybody else's soul; one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.  

Needless to say I was a bit annoyed at yet another stereotype, black people who have a problem swimming.  I wonder what stereotype they'll show next.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:27 PM

Why be purposely gross??  

And there it is. Being deliberately gross.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

Needless to say I was a bit annoyed at yet another stereotype, black people who have a problem swimming.  I wonder what stereotype they'll show next.

Ok, but the one particular team did have a problem swimming to shore and Bear jumped in to assist because their partner team left them behind. I don't think there was any racial motivation by the show there. Are you suggesting that TPTB scripted that part of the competition, or are you suggesting that they should have edited that portion out of the episode?

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

There was a good discussion about black people and swimming on TAR threads, since it does come up so much there.  Someone posted interesting articles about how it's statistically more likely that black people will be unable to swim or be poor swimmers, and the theories why that is. 

I can't blame the show for showing what actually happened.  Or is there concern they purposely screened for black people who are poor swimmers?