8-1: "A Beautiful Day" 2013.06.30

• Please log in to reply

118 replies to this topic

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 8:39 PM

It bothered me that Dexter didn't clean up the broken mess. Why would he want Angel to think that he did that right after the conversation they had? He's going to give Angel one more thing to think about wrt himself and LaGuerta? That just seems like the kind of detail he'd think about. It would have taken him all of two minutes.

I don't know that I agree that Deb was deliberately trying to put herself in a position where she'd be killed. If she wanted the guy to go nuts on her all she had to do was linger on the phone with Quinn.

Makes Dex more "human", as did his very hurt look (MCH can really bring it w/nothing but a facial expression) when Deb said she hated him and referred to him as "nobody...just some loser."

For me this just might have been the hardest part of the market scene even worse than the "I shot the wrong person" person line. Being nobody to someone you love is almost worse than being hated by them. And to have her say that about him in front of a genuine loser douchebag after all that they've been through together...yikes, yeah, my feelings would be hurt too lol.

A couple people mentioned the possibility of her being the brain scooper. I think, she manipulated the brain scooper into his acts, but now wants Dexter's help in stopping him so she is not implicated in his crimes. Maybe he was another "test subject," that wasn't "successful" as Dexter.

The other idea that's going through my head is what if she thinks that the brain guy is going to come after her and that's why she wants Dexter's help. Maybe the brain scooper is angry with her or maybe she knows that he plans to target Dexter at some point and doesn't want that to happen because she still has other plans for him.

I remember that in the very first episode Harry and Dexter discuss about a dog killed by the young Dexter, is it that dog (second drawing)? Then Harry says that there weren't just dog bones, implying Dexter has killed someone or some other animal, but that story has never been explained in deeper details, am I wrong? Anyway the third drawing maybe is about that..

I'm curious to know if anyone remembers this better. The only conversation between Dexter and Harry regarding a dog that I can recall was about Debra's dog that ended up being given away. IIRC Harry told Dexter not to even think about [killing the dog], Dexter told Harry that he wasn't going to hurt it, Harry gives the dog away, and Dexter almost tells Deb the reason why but is kept from doing so by Harry. I remember thinking that maybe Harry was thinking that Dexter was worse than he actually was but if he knew that Dexter had killed animals before that makes a lot more sense to me that he'd be super freaked about his wife bringing a pet into the house.

I'm inclined to agree with Atomic Clock regarding LaGuerta's bench.

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

The only conversation between Dexter and Harry regarding a dog that I can recall was about Debra's dog that ended up being given away.

In S1 there is a flashback to when Harry took Dexter camping and (as far as we know) first talked to him about being different.  He mentioned a neighbor's dog had gone missing, Dexter insisted the dog was annoying and keeping his mom who was sick at the time awake.  Harry says there were other bones in the grave other than Sparky's or whatever the dog's name was.  So yeah, that drawing may refer back to that.

Oh and yeah thank god for Quinn's everpresent bathrobe seriously the small amount of jutting hip bone I saw was enough. It's almost like Dexter is the current Ally McBeal--- no one can be as skinny as Deb/Calista Flockhart but damn if everyone isn't trying, intentionally or otherwise, Quinn and Jamie are bordering on looking like they've been on a starvation diet. And I don't buy Quinn losing weight for some other role, his face looks like its aged 6 years in the past 2 seasons. Not attractive people.  You're making Lilaaah look plump.

Edited by LevitateMe, Jul 2, 2013 @ 8:54 PM.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

A couple people mentioned the possibility of her being the brain scooper. I think, she manipulated the brain scooper into his acts, but now wants Dexter's help in stopping him so she is not implicated in his crimes. Maybe he was another "test subject," that wasn't "successful" as Dexter.

Based on Dexter's trojectory, I wouldn't call him successful. But I agree with this theory. I don't think Vogel is The Melonhead Killer. I think she's the trump card the writers are going to use to make Dexter and Harry more sympathetic. Dexter has been Vogel's guinea pig from the start. The Melonhead Killer is probably another. In other words, Vogel's little experiment is now backfiring on her.

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 2:28 AM

Thanks LevitateMe, for reminding me of that scene. I've only seen the early seasons once. (I can't wait to go through them all again once the show is over.)

Dexter has been Vogel's guinea pig from the start. The Melonhead Killer is probably another. In other words, Vogel's little experiment is now backfiring on her.

I wonder though what makes Vogel think that the experiment is backfiring? Presumably she wants her experiments to kill--that's the point of them--and the Melonhead Killer seems to be doing just that so I wonder what the problem is? To me it only makes sense if she feels that she's being threatened in some way or maybe if innocents end up being in danger but isn't the Melonhead guy going for types that the BHB would go for? This sounds like someone who is doing what Vogel would have wanted them to do assuming that she did indeed try this experiment on this guy in addition to Dexter and whoever else.

I don't really have a problem with the writers making Harry and/or Dexter more sympathetic but in the case of Harry at least, I feel like it does make sense that he got the idea of the Code from somewhere and didn't just pull it out of thin air. The fact that Harry was the one to help steer Dexter on to this path has always made Dexter a little sympathetic to me. I didn't need the Vogel revelation to have those feelings. Nor do I feel like the addition of Vogel necessarily absolves Harry or Dexter somehow of responsibility for various actions over the seasons.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 5:48 AM

Aimee Garcia is currently a healthy fashion model sample size. I hope she doesn't become emaciated down the line, though.

I was so excited at the start, munchies in hand, but as the episode went along, my excitement dwindled. I think the less I saw of Deb and Deb and Dexter, the less believable it felt. Dr. Vogel was impressive and the acting and writing were all hitting their marks, but it was too stylishly on the nose and therefore contrived. They bring in his nemesis each season and this is the clearly his nearest equal yet. She is poised to be his undoing. I just hope they exceed my expectations by still surprising me in a plausible way.

I am looking forward to Hannah McKay's return.

Edited by anonymiss, Jul 3, 2013 @ 6:27 AM.

Fiesole

Fiesole

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

I just need to share a weird thought I just had... how high do you think is the possibility that the naked woman at the beginning of the episode is a hooker? I think she might be, not only because she looks like a hooker to me, but it could also be just another aspect of Dexter's personality that is collapsing.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

I wonder though what makes Vogel think that the experiment is backfiring?

This is sheer speculation, but in future episodes, we'll probably find out that Robert Bailey, the victim from this episode, didn't fit Vogel's code. Yep...I bet the code wasn't actually Harry's, but Vogel's. Either that, or Vogel came up with the basic concept of the code and Harry used his cop skills to hone it.

Vogel probably thinks that psychopaths are a fact of nature and the code can make them beneficial to society in their own way. We've seen that, though Dexter learned the code from Harry, he's had a hard time sticking to it. Lila, Miguel Prado, Trinity, Lumen, Travis Marshal, Hannah and now Deb are all proof that, when Dexter doesn't stick to the code, disaster ensues. Vogel would probably argue that this only proves how important the code is, but Dexter and the Melonhead Killer are evidence that the code may look good on paper, but it doesn't translate well in the real world.

I don't really have a problem with the writers making Harry and/or Dexter more sympathetic but in the case of Harry at least, I feel like it does make sense that he got the idea of the Code from somewhere and didn't just pull it out of thin air.

I had no problem with the idea that Harry was the genesis of the code. The writers had all of the basic building blocks in place without having to add Dr. Vogel as a retcon. Everything from Harry's affair with Laura Moser to his rage over the release of Juan Rinez layed the groundwork for a frustrated, misguided  cop who wanted to try to turn Dexter into something more constructive than an animalistic serial killer like his brother.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

I finally watched the new episode of Dexter:
I loved all Dex/Deb scenes, Vogel is creepy, poor Deb without her ethics and poor Dexter without his Deb; but overall the episode was too slow and full of fluff. Quinn, Jamie, Elway, Briggs, El Sapo… zzz…

Also, IMHO, Deb’s spiral was too much. I think they could’ve handled better an internal spiral without making her leave MMPD and go down all that stuff.

I noticed this parallel:

• Season 4: "Without Deb, I'd be ... lost."
  • Season 8: “Debra was right. I was wrong. It’s me who’s lost. A better person would let her go, but I don’t know how. Without her, I don’t know who I am anymore.”

Nice shoutout. Gives, at least, the illusion of continuity.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

There is nothing healthy about me being able to count your ribs when you are not stretching your arms out to elongate your back. It does not look like a size that is healthy on her.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

Brilliant opening episode. Lots happened to.

Deb's downward spiral is sad to watch but makes complete sense as well.

Dexter has put her in such a horrible position but I even feel bad for him when she spurned him as well.

Andrew's death has only widened the gap with them as well though I found him a boring character.

I'm guessing Elsapo is going after Deb no.

Angel will probably pick up from where Maria left off at some point with investigating Dexter and Deb.

Vogel is a fantastic addition to the series. Love her rattling Dexter in this episode.

Brain Surgeon is an interesting villain too.

Couldn't care less about Quinn/Jamie. I'm surprised Quinn has lasted this long given how dull he is to watch as a character, 9/10.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

So I have been putting on Season 7 episodes (do I secretly hate myself?)as background noise while I do housework etc all week and . . . . it makes the whole thing about Angel coming back to the force even more fucking stupid. Like, his entire storyline last year was how he needed to get a life outside of being a cop because he was either going to become a bitter asshole or he was going to die on the job. I mean, he mentioned it in almost every goddamn episode!

Then . . . we get an aside line in the premiere about how he came back because LaGuerta died. Fuck you show. Couldn't he stay retired? Hell, they could even use the (dumb) fact that apparently no one at the Worst Police Department Ever looked into the circumstances of LaGuerta's death and have Angel start looking into in on his own time because he knew something wasn't right.

Couldn't care less about Quinn/Jamie. I'm surprised Quinn has lasted this long given how dull he is to watch as a character, 9/10.

I swear everytime they are on screen I want to personally ask the writers why I should give a shit. I'm already preparing myself to get pissed about the inevitable scene where Angel finds out about them and freaks out.

ETA: How old is Jamie again? I always have to remind myself that she's Angel's sister and not his daughter.

Edited by hardy har, Jul 5, 2013 @ 6:36 PM.

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

Re: Jamie's age, I always figured she was supposed to be early to mid-twenties, like post high school or college or whatever and bumming around for a few years before she got more direction in life.

But then I looked up the actress b/c of the talk about her weight, and discovered that she was born in 1978, as was I.

I have not aged nearly as well as Aimee Garcia.

Sunshine Lover

Sunshine Lover

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

I'm confused...or maybe I'm just forgetting something.  I started watching this episode thinking that besides the Deb/La Guerta fallout, we'd be seeing more of Hannah.  As far as I recall, we last saw her in jail threatening Dexter with the knowledge that she knows what he is.  Did I miss something where that plot line was wrapped up?

Smudge

Smudge

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 2:12 AM

it makes the whole thing about Angel coming back to the force even more fucking stupid. Like, his entire storyline last year was how he needed to get a life outside of being a cop because he was either going to become a bitter asshole or he was going to die on the job. I mean, he mentioned it in almost every goddamn episode!

Then . . . we get an aside line in the premiere about how he came back because LaGuerta died. Fuck you show. Couldn't he stay retired?

I can forgive that, it's one thing for Angel to try and move on with his life, but the day he retires his ex wife & a fellow cop is murdered on the job? I can see how he felt he had unfinished buisness there and was needed more as a cop vs a resturant owner.

On the plus side, I've always liked Angel, I prefer to see him play a role this season in the department vs on the sidelines.

--

In general I was sort of meh on the first episode, then they showed the season previews and suddenly I'm all excited, I was sort of struck by how good this show has looked in teaser trailers & previews and largely failed to deliver on those promises... yet I still have high hopes.

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

I think they've set up a endgame with this episode where Dexter causes Deb's death either directly or indirectly.

mag32gie

mag32gie

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

For me, it was the best episode in years. Finally coming to a head in a way that seems to be very interesting.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

I like Angel too, but find him ever sadder after the way he was screwed around with and betrayed by Dexter and Deb last season. At the very least he doesn't make the show screech to a mind-numbing halt as it does every time Quinn is within camera range.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

I can forgive that, it's one thing for Angel to try and move on with his life, but the day he retires his ex wife & a fellow cop is murdered on the job? I can see how he felt he had unfinished buisness there and was needed more as a cop vs a resturant owner.

Agreed and I suspect this is part of how Angel will be a major player in bringing LaGuerta's murderer to justice.

Pagali

Pagali

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

I'm confused...or maybe I'm just forgetting something.  I started watching this episode thinking that besides the Deb/La Guerta fallout, we'd be seeing more of Hannah.  As far as I recall, we last saw her in jail threatening Dexter with the knowledge that she knows what he is.  Did I miss something where that plot line was wrapped up?

After Hannah's scene in jail, she went to court. She later escaped by faking (inducing?) a serious ailment that landed her in the hosptal. She escaped from there and the last view we had of her she was setting down a plant outside Dexter's apartment door, then leaving.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 5:20 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love Angel too, but it was just suuuuuch a waste to dedicate an entire season to his retirement and throw it away with one clunky expository line of dialogue. It's like the writers don't know what to do with him if he's not an active duty cop.

ETA: Damn, Aimee Garcia is 4 years older than me! I totally thought she was in her early 20's.

Edited by hardy har, Jul 6, 2013 @ 9:25 PM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

But then I looked up the actress b/c of the talk about her weight, and discovered that she was born in 1978, as was I.

I have not aged nearly as well as Aimee Garcia.

You and me both.  I looked her up back when she was on Trauma and was really surprised (Her and Paula Garces, I want what ever they're on).  I'm a wee bit older but not by much.  She has an epic baby face.  Cute as a button and I've always liked her acting, even if her character here is sometimes grating a bit (I personally think it's intentional). 

CrashTextDummie

CrashTextDummie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 6:52 AM

I would like to congratulate Desmond Harrington and Aimee Garcia on one of the most ridiculous sex scenes I have ever seen. I understand the concept of tastefully hidden boobs, but clearly the creators of this show don't. Give her a bra if you can't come up with anything better than her just randomly holding one breast!

Had to laugh at the scene in the morgue. The way they telegraphed that Dr. Vogel is sinister bordered on self-parody. The way the autopsy room was lit already gave a serious "evil doctor" vibe, but they went and had Charlotte Rampling casually manipulate a brain all through the conversation. Bwah!

New Harrison is some serious uncanny valley shit. They got a kid that looks really similar to the old one, which made me spend a significant portion of the episode wondering if I was seeing things.

Thought the episode was suffered from really clunky writing, but at least they got most of the awkward exposition out of the way. I hope.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

but they went and had Charlotte Rampling casually manipulate a brain all through the conversation.

That scene really unnerved me on first watch but I didn't specifically realize the brain thing was what was doing it until I watched again.  I lolled so hard.  SHe may be a little over the top but I'm kind of digging it.  Makes me wish that Carradine's character were still around.  I'd love to know what he would make of her.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 7:56 PM

I get that people commenting here are hoping for an Emmy nod for her (this year or next), as am I, but I wouldn't hold my breath unless she brings it hardcore in a non-emo way between now and the end, because otherwise it's too easy to argue it's pure emotion not actual acting. FWIW I don't think she had to act much in the scene where she told Dexter how much she hates him in the supermarket.

Are you saying you think JC hates MCH in real life? Interesting.I never cared for JC's acting until last season.  I am surprised she wasn't nominated for an Emmy for last season (just had to look that up, I assume the nom's were for last season of Dexter but I know their seasons are off-time).  I thought she continued to be great in this first ep.  MCH and JC are the only reason I keep watching this show.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

JC killed it in the interrogation scene with Quinn and that wasn't Dex/MCH hatred but guilt and self-loathing while also being wasted and having a nervous breakdown. That should be her emmy submission, unless something else she does tops it, which I wouldn't be too surprised by.

Edited by anonymiss, Jul 15, 2013 @ 8:06 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

I am looking forward to Hannah McKay's return.

Could Hannah have been a previous patient of Vogel?

Edited by Bella, Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:55 PM.

hadapurpura

hadapurpura

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

Could Hannah have been a previous patient of Vogel?

She lived in a farm in the middle of nowhere, with an emotionally abusive father, probably without much money. I don't think so.

vimrod

vimrod

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2013 @ 3:56 AM

Clearly, if you want to be a serial killer, Miami is the place for it. With cops like these who needs alibis or to cover their tracks? It's so ridiculous how there has been no follow-up investigation on Dexter after LaGuerta's death. Let's see, Maria had very recently accused him of being a killer and a few days later turns up dead. Nothing suspicious there Miami Metro? Or the fact that said accused killer's sister runs out of the police force immediately folllowing Maria's death? Gah!

All this show really has going for it right now is Jennifer Carpenter. Dexter can suck it. Hate him. Leave your sister alone in her downward spiral, the one that you caused you asswipe!

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

I don't know that Dexter shouting "She died because she couldn't leave it alone" is such a huge tipoff. Ofc it looks that way from our perspective, but as far as I understood the reasoning of Laguertas death, Dexter set it up to make it look like the mexican killed her. So her not leaving the case alone simply means if she left it alone it wouldn't have lead her to the mexican who ultimately killed her.

I figure Angel may think Dexter is referring to La Guerta pursuing a killer alone without backup, maybe mixed with some angry resentment over her having suspected him and constantly frustrating/dressing down his sister on the job. I didn't get the impression that he felt any suspicion toward Dexter - I honestly don't think dude would be able to cover it up if he did.