S10-Jasmine Harper: Legs To Infinity

• Please log in to reply

41 replies to this topic

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

Another of the many Contemporary female dancers.  (She may have dated Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer, but don't tell anyone.) 

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

Jasmine will be featured in Ciara's video debuting later today. After seeing her in this small clip I can't wait to see her get H/H. Girl can work it. I wonder when this video was filmed? Maybe before she went to learn she made the top 20? I'm sure the show has limitations on what the dancers are allowed to do once they make the top 20 and are under contract during the show.

She's definitely my favorite girl right now because she's not the run of the mill Contemporary girl. She has some bite to her.

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

Jasmine Harper was my favorite since I saw her audition. The other girls they featured were good, like Amy/Makenzie/Hayley, but they didn't get me excited. Her height really helps - I'm always a sucker for the long legged girls like Kayla and Jordan. Plus, she has this interesting jerky quality that Sasha had that makes me want to watch her. I'm excited to see how this season goes for her. She's like Kourtni Lind and Sasha did the DBZ Fusion Dance and became this powerhouse dancer.

And yes, I'm excited to see her kill a Hip-Hop routine. Sasha never got a chance to get really buck in her season, so I hope Jasmine makes up for it.

GCMJ

GCMJ

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

Does anyone think that Jasmine dances a little heavy?

FrogLenzen

FrogLenzen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

Mary Murphy does:

Jasmine [H.] struggled in Las Vegas. She had a heaviness to her; she was on the fence for us.

http://www.wetpaint....utm_source=t.co

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 3:27 PM

I don't think she necessarily has a heaviness to her, but she dances with a lot of power and strength. I guess that can come off heavy when you have other contemporary girls that dance softer. I like her and enjoy her style a lot better. I just like powerful dancers. I would be interested in seeing her dance a  standard ballroom or soft piece because I think she could definitely do it. She just seems very versatile to me and my eye just automatically gravitates to her in the group pieces. She has stage stage presence for days.

And yes, I'm excited to see her kill a Hip-Hop routine.

The full video for that Ciara song was released and let me just say that she needs to do H/H like now. Hard hitting H/H, not some soft crap. She's in the green jumper in the first dance sequence and then the black hat to Ciara's right in the second dance sequence/setting. 

Plus, she has this interesting jerky quality that Sasha had that makes me want to watch her.

I've noticed that as well. They both have that grounded, earthy, interesting quality of movement.

rose711

rose711

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 4:12 AM

Jasmine is a beautiful dancer. She also seems filled with enthusiasm and a great love of dance.
Nothing seems to get her down, even the terrible costumes she has been given.

I think she has even improved during the competition, maybe more than the other girls.

TKmor

TKmor

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 1:36 PM

Jasmine is one of my favorites on the girls' side. Though it's apparent that she's a little shy, none of that comes across when she dances. I said in Aaron's thread that it's regrettable that they weren't given a tap routine or at least a Broadway-esque jazz that incorported tap. Someone posted video of her "messing around" backstage somewhere, tapping an impromptu routine some guy. It appears she would have been able to handle a tap-heavy routine with Aaron.

I've noticed that for Jasmine, the choreographers often tended to go with routines that had an earthy and at times, Southern feel to them. Much of that was music selection. (They did that with Sasha at times). I hope they give her a wider range of characterizations. I thought she was fantastic in the Justin Giles contemporary--Giving Tree--so I know she's capable of much more than being the hot mama of the show. Though she definitely is that!

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

I thought she was fantastic in the Justin Giles contemporary--Giving Tree--so I know she's capable of much more than being the hot mama of the show. Though she definitely is that!

For me, Jasmine is the chameleon of the group. She can warp into whatever is needed for the role. She has a great stage presence and performance quality that you usually only see in seasoned performers. Not a 20 y/o. I always have to remind myself that she's still practically a baby, but dances with the most maturity. I wish they would give her one of the big, emotional Contemporary numbers as well. I think she can more than deliver a tear jerker. Her face in the "Giving Tree" when she was holding that apple away from Aaron was unbelievable. She never looks the same in expression when dancing like a lot of these dancers usually do. I'm waiting for her to be given that big emotional dance that truly sets her apart from the rest.

I've seen Jasmine friends tweet her and say they were surprised that she's finally coming out of her shell. It seems that she is indeed shy until she starts performing, but her personality comes through even when just standing there. She's just magnetic. I agreed with Mary last night when she said she's always looking for her and wondering what Jasmine is doing. I do that during every group routine.

As far as the Tapping goes; her and Aaron wanted to do a Tap routine together. She's really good at it from what I've seen. She has the unique combination of technique, performance, stage presence and believability in the dance that I think is setting her apart from the rest. Tara-Jean the winner from SYTYCD Canada summed it pretty well when she said she's like a Beyonce on stage. She's the one I foresee being on big tours after this is done.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2013 @ 6:15 AM

Dance Plug interview post Season 10 Top 10> Jasmine & then Marko

She is so beautiful and seems to be so much more confident than when the show started.  Also, and can't say just how happy I am that the hairstylists made her get her hair out of her face.  

Give Me My Remote> Jasmine

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

Brief interview by GiveMeMyRemote > Jasmine on AS choreographing

BriaSamba07

BriaSamba07

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

Jasmine is my girl! She better win this season! 

I wasn't a big fan of Twitch's choreography last night. But it had some "wow" moments. As for the performance Twitch and Jasmine never fail to impress me. Jasmine just kills everything that's given to her. However, I am ready for Jasmine to get a stand out Contemporary piece with either Neil, Ade or someone her height or taller. That Apple/Tree dance she did with Aaron a few weeks ago didn't really showcase her Contemporary ability.

I would also like to see her dance a latin dance. Preferably a Cha Cha, Samba or Argentine Tango. If she gets another Hip Hop next week. I will scream!!

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

BriaSamba07, totally agree. I'm waiting for them to give Jasmine that big Contemporary number that everyone left in the competition has already had. They finally gave Aaron that moment last week. Jasmine is a skilled technician, actress as well as performer. She would kill an emotional piece. She needs a slow number next week to showcase what a truly multi-layered performer she is. I think people have gotten used to seeing her in upbeat numbers three weeks in a row, that they're forgetting she's actually a Contemporary dancer and pretty good at it. Thank goodness we have the opening group numbers to see that. I would also like to see her in an Argentine Tango or Samba. Hopefully we get to see one of these wishes next week. I'm holding out hope for a big Contemporary piece. because let's face it. That's what wins it for the females on this show.

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

Top 8 DancePlug Interview, including some words from Twitch: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2t_DaK1AKeM

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

I thought Jasmine did a good job on this, but she stated she's not that into superheros.  I think Comfort would have brought a little more to that part 'cuz she's got the "stank face" down to an art, but Jasmine brought "flavah" to the role as well and I'm pleased for her. 

Here is a WzraTv web interview with Jasmine.  (almost 18 minutes long)

Edited by anothermi, Aug 21, 2013 @ 9:37 PM.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

Synergistic Video > Jasmine & tWitch on their Hip Hop

Variation on other interview posted by geeweeze

Good, high energy Pacific Rim Video Press interview > Jasmine & Aaron   Team Tall. 

These are good wide ranging interviews. Fun and informative. I'll post the link in Aaron's thread as well. Fun to see these two together again. 

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

Dance Plug interview (Tara Jean again) > Jasmine after top 6 episode

She is soooo gorgeous. When I think of her with her hair in her face and the shyness during her audition I can't believe it's the same person.  I also wonder if they only showed that kind of footage of her so she would have a jooooourney, but then I read Adam Shankman's tweet in the Media thread and perhaps she really did have a journey. 

Synergistic Videos interview > Jasmine with Neil (and an annoying Tyce)

Ugh, waaaay too much Tyce.  He wants to be a director so he's practicing on SYTYCD. [/eyeroll] Mute his parts. 

Neil and Jasmine explain how they tried to make the concept work for them (IMHO that was the sub-text). 

Give Me My Remote interview > Jasmine on being Top 4

Edited by anothermi, Aug 28, 2013 @ 7:28 PM.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

Tyce is way too self-important and smug. I know it probably took a lot of self-restraint and discipline to not roll their eyes all the way to stfu-ville when he was explaining his concept. I can only imagine the conversations they had when Tyce wasn't around.

Jasmine: Was Tyce always like this?

Neil: Unfortunately, yes. Just smile and nod Jasmine and maybe he'll shut up about it

Jasmine: Is he really recording a voice over to explain again his self-indulgent theme? We have to dance to that?

Neil: Sigh...smile and nod Jasmine. Smile and nod.

I wish Tyce would've just gone with this dance was a remake of the Wizard of Oz and Jasmine was Dorothy being swept up in the Tornado. That could've explained those huge fans blowing all the trash on the damn stage at them. I hate that he predisposed people to not like it before having a chance to look at the actual dancing that jasmine and Neil did so beautifully together. Tyce ruins everything. That's why in the performance thread I said it's best to look at the routine w/o the sound or prepackage. I wish someone could change out the music on YT and remix it. Any techies around?

The icing on the cake was Tyce's self-satisfying smirk in the audience that always gives me the urge to slap him.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I didn't even realize it was Tyce talking. I just got distracted like "who the fuck is interrupting this beautiful dancing with this annoying voice?"  Ridiculous.  I NEED Jasmine to win.  She is the most beautiful dancer in the whole competition.  I would want her to win even if it was a single winner like in the good old days.  Even over Fik-shun who would be my boyfriend if I was...10 years old. (smile)  Now he's my son.  LOL!  But back to Jasmine...she is what dance is supposed to be.  Beauty and power and drama and emotion.  I think I have a crush...and I'm a straight woman.  LOL

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

I didn't see this posted here, so here goes. Jasmine is a pretty fab tapper: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Z_rZc5t7KJo

If they are bringing an AS tapper for Aaron I am surprised, as I think Jasmine would be able to perform a tap routine just fine. I wonder why they haven't done one already.

And also, Jasmine just rocks everything. Guh...I love her.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

Once again, this should go in Neil Haskel's thread, but it's in the Dead Thread zone. Sooooooo...

Dance Plug interveiw > Neil on the dance by the Big Wind (my name, not his)

He talks about how they prepared for this dance and dancing with debris floating by but didn't say anything sub-texty about Tyce.  :-(

Edited by anothermi, Aug 29, 2013 @ 5:50 PM.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

Daaaaaamn, that leg bend/extension thing Jasmine did. I said "DUUUUUDE!" out loud. I was just floored by that. I'm floored enough by what her legs usually do, but that was on a whole new level of awesomeness/that's-just-not-rightness.

She's so amazing and so beautiful, yet they still can't dress the poor girl. Even her weird mirror disco-ball thing. It was a spandex bodysuit, yet somehow it was loose in some areas. How is that even possible?

Next week, a burlap sack. But she will still dance amazingly in it and will still be gorgeous and will still go! all! the! way! Jasmine FTW!

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

She's so amazing and so beautiful, yet they still can't dress the poor girl. Even her weird mirror disco-ball thing. It was a spandex bodysuit, yet somehow it was loose in some areas. How is that even possible?

The costume designers are just clueless on how to dress her body type. I've never thought the SYTYCD costumers were that great to begin with, but my God they're terrible this season. I said earlier in the season that Jasmine has boobs and I don't think they're used to that on a dancer's body. They like give her zero support in her outfits in that area. Every last pair of pants she has worn has looked like a MJ rip off. They're always too short. Like they've run out of material in trying to cloth her long legs and said forget it! That bodysuit should've been more fitted around the waist and like this with a more supportive top.

I think DWTS is much more successful in dressing their stars. They have some misses too, but that's usually when the Pros get too much input in the design. I'm looking at you Mark.

Daaaaaamn, that leg bend/extension thing Jasmine did. I said "DUUUUUDE!" out loud. I was just floored by that. I'm floored enough by what her legs usually do, but that was on a whole new level of awesomeness/that's-just-not-rightness.

Courtney Galiano said on After Buzz last night that she thinks Jasmine is borderline contortionist! She saw it and was like where are you going with that leg! It's amazing to look at. Sean Cheesman said he just wanted to bend her in half!

He talks about how they prepared for this dance and dancing with debris floating by but didn't say anything sub-texty about Tyce.  :-(

That's just him being professional because he does have to work with him. I'm sure there was a lot being said behind the scenes.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 12:57 AM

Courtney Galiano said on After Buzz last night that she thinks Jasmine is borderline contortionist! She saw it and was like where are you going with that leg! It's amazing to look at. Sean Cheesman said he just wanted to bend her in half!

Wasn't she doing some bone-breaking in her routine with tWitch?  Ouch!

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Cynthia187, yes she did. She did the same thing you see Fik-Shun doing at the end of his solo, by bringing the arm back then back around.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

Synergistic Productions > Jasmine (with some Dmitry, Mary, Travis)

Jasmine, too, is saying they did 6 routines... did I miss something? Jasmine explains why she chose HH. 

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

This is what was televised:  Jasmine/Fik-Shun, Jasmine/Comfort, Solo, Jasmine/Aaron and Jasmine/Amy. That's five routines. There was no televised group number. Unless they did one and there was a mishap and it didn't air on live TV. Dmitry said 6 and Cat said 6 at the top of the show as well. I like what Dmitry said about the time constraints and hinting at they gave them way too many dances to perfect in a short amount of time. That makes a difference. Especially, if you've never had a Latin routine and you have to learn technique along with a crap load of other routines. They should've just done a hat thing and limited the dances to 2 each and their solo. Otherwise, you get dancer fatigue and unlearned dance styles suffer from lack of practice time.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

GiveMeMyRemote interview > Jasmine on the Final 4 Performance

Talks about how it feels for Cat to have been instrumental in Jasmine being in the Top 20. 

Newly added...

Dance Plug interview > Jasmine Harper

I'm a little surprised TJ went to the Cyrus question but it was good to see that it's not the big deal for Jasmine that the show tried to convey.  (That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. )

added....

Pacific Rim Video Press interview > Jasmine

Sounds like she turned down Ciara before she got offered Top 20 which is a BIG risk.  Thank you Cat. 

Edited by anothermi, Sep 5, 2013 @ 6:25 PM.

Purplish

Purplish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

There was a good article in the Charlotte Observer about Jasmine Harper. Some highlights: she divided her time growing up between New York and Charlotte. In Charlotte she studied at Northwest School of the Arts (a public magnet school) as well as other (non-arts) schools in Charlotte and Union County NC. She also studied under instructors at the N.C. Dance Theater. After high school, she moved to Atlanta.

Here is a link to the full article.

MelloCello

MelloCello

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 4:07 AM

Aw, Jasmine, it shoulda been you!!!!

You were my favorite dancer all season and I'm so sorry you and Aaron weren't the big winners.

Don't know if the dancers actually read here, but Jasmine, I wish you all the success in the world.  You are a beautiful lady and an amazing dancer.