Cary and Kalinda: Never the Twain Shall Meet?

• Please log in to reply

25 replies to this topic

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

So I noticed that in the ‘Spoilers Discussion,’ we’ve been talking a lot about Cary and Kalinda as a potential couple… and yet there’s no actual topic about them. So I figured… why not make one and air out our opinions on them?

In any case, I'm with a lot of people in being over a possible Cary/Kalinda relationship. The actors have fabulous chemistry together (and it's awesome seeing a handsome WASPy dude like Cary go starry-eyed over an older WOC like Kalinda) but the writing has been abysmal for them over the course of the last few seasons. They're stuck in a serious relationship rut where every time Cary tries to get closer, she eventually draws him in just a little before rebuffing him. Oh, they share sexy conversations in the mean-time (which I do enjoy, since Matt Czuchry and Archie Panjabi do have ridiculously good chemistry) and do favors for one another in the mean-time… but mostly, Cary is in this weird masochistic want-and-get-rejected pattern with Kalinda that pretty much hasn’t altered since Season 1.

And the one time they actually do hook up… the show (and Kalinda) brushes it off and it doesn’t get revisited until the ridiculous health-care plot-line comes back and Kalinda rejects Cary for actually sensibly exploring his options when she makes outrageous demands from the new firm. Which just frustrates me even more, as it seems like an easy way to separate those two right when they might actually make some headway in their relationship. (And Kalinda might actually get some interesting character development!)

Cary and Kalinda might be fun to watch together but watching a 4-years-in-the-making relationship fizzle out like this just made me more frustrated than ever. And worse, it made both of these characters look pathetic. By the end of season 4, Cary looks like a guy who’s still hung over a woman who demands impossible things of him and throws hissy-fits when he denies her… and Kalinda looks like an emotional child angry that she can’t use sex to control him anymore.

Good relationships make both partners look all the better in it. But relationships like the one Cary and Kalinda are in end up making both people look like twerps. And I'm at the point where I'd rather Kalinda go off with her harem and Cary find someone who actually enjoys being with him. He’s so often in the role of the groveling desirer when he’s with Kalinda — I want to see him be the object of desire, for once!

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

I don't have any faith in those writers. They've screwed up Kalinda's character. They've screwed up Cary and Kalinda potentialities. They've left Matt Czuchry without a decent storyline (or love interest) for 2 years. And everytime I read something about season 5 it gives me new reasons not to watch anymore.

I loved Cary and Kalinda but writers have wasted time they can't recover anymore. But, honestly, I don't think they want to recover it. They just love to mock fans about those two. There's not a serious intent of doing something consistent with them.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Jun 29, 2013 @ 11:33 AM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 7:18 PM

That really is the major problem with the C/K ship, isn't it? There's all the potential in the world to do something fun, interesting and sexy with these characters... but the writers seem too damn lazy to put in the work of actually developing a plausible relationship or even understandable reasons for why these two might actually want to be involved with each other. Why bother doing that when they can just shove Cary off to the side and show Kalinda having sexy sexy sex with random side characters who make little-to-no impact on the actual main plot?

Honestly, we’ll be lucky if Matt Czuchry gets a story-line more interesting than “he has to woo Kalinda back and grovel at her feet in despair before she deigns to look at him again!" in the next season. And given how much the Kings like to torture Cary (emotionally and hell, even physically!), I’d be surprised if they let the poor guy have any kind of professional triumph either.

10 to 1, I bet half his story-line will be taken up by him pathetically chasing Kalinda around and the other half will document the small rise and swifter fall of Florrick, Agos, and Associates. This show will never let Cary win.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 2:43 AM

I don't think things will improve for Cary's character or for Matt Czuchry. I'm sure writres have convinced him that season wil be different. But it won't be. Florrick&Agos will be just their way to give other storylines new life. And we’ll be lucky if Matt Czuchry gets a story-line.

That really is the major problem with the C/K ship, isn't it? There's all the potential in the world to do something fun, interesting and sexy with these characters... but the writers seem too damn lazy to put in the work of actually developing a plausible relationship or even understandable reasons for why these two might actually want to be involved with each other. Why bother doing that when they can just shove Cary off to the side and show Kalinda having sexy sexy sex with random side characters who make little-to-no impact on the actual main plot?

For what I care now, they can do whatever they want with Kalinda's sex life. I've just enough of Cary being involved and wasted in those plots.

And bring on someone new for Cary if every season they feel the need to reach the usual Kalinda's sexy girlfriends quota (ON SCREEN), to do nothing with what they've started with Cary/Kalinda 4 years ago and keep proposing again it every year anyway.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Jun 29, 2013 @ 5:15 AM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

And bring on someone new for Cary if every season they feel the need to reach the usual Kalinda's sexy girlfriends quota (ON SCREEN), to do nothing with what they've started with Cary/Kalinda 4 years ago and keep proposing again it every year anyway.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him with someone else! Hell, anyone who would give him the time of day would be an improvement over Kalinda's way of treating him. I thought he and Robyn were very fun together, and she has the sort of fun, silly-without-being-obnoxious personality that brought out a laid-back warmth in him that's missing from his anxious pining with Kalinda.

But even if Cary did get a love-interest, I'm kind of afraid it would be a retread of Dana, who he had no chemistry with and who was seeming more interested in Kalinda than in him. (Because of course, how could even an apparently heterosexual woman deny the charms of Kalinda! The Kinsey Scale trembles at the very mention of her.) Or to show how Cary still pines over Kalinda even after he's in a relationship with another woman. Which just makes Cary seem more pathetic than anything else once again.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 4:26 AM

I doubt they'll never give Cary his own love interest, because he's somewhat trapped in that penality box for Kalinda's love interests. When things between the new love interest and Kalinda don't work they free him to make up temporarliy for it. When they find a new love interest for her they put him in the penality box again. That's how things work with Cary. He won't be entitled to have his own love interest as long as writers will consider him just a Kalinda's love life tool.

So the point is that between those two it's always all about Kalinda. We often are asked not to care about Cary's point of view because the only love life they keep writing about is the Kalinda's one (with awful results I'd add). Even Dana wasn't a Cary's love interest for real. All their conversations were about the case or about Kalinda. She was just someone they used to give Kalinda's another adorer/foil and to tangle up Will's storyline.

And that's what I hate about their relationship: they keep doing nothing to real further that storyline and to develop Cary/Kalinda relationship but they keep involving him in every private Kalinda's storyline. Blake, Dana, Nick. And everytime they do it, the following season they start over again like nothing happened the season before and nothing really change between them.

Why didn't they involve Kalinda in Cary's father plot for istance? We have always seen Cary entering Kalinda's world but what does Kalinda really know about Cary? She could have learned a bunch of new interesting things about Cary and start finally to reconsider what she thinks about him (whatever she thinks about him) at least and see him in a new light. But no. Let's have Cary being beaten up by Nick and nobody never find about it. That was surely more interesting, yeah. The truth is that Cary and Kalinda know absolutely nothing about each other because all their plots were never really about them and what's going on between them.

I don't know, but I'm tired of that thing.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Jun 30, 2013 @ 7:38 AM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

So the point is that between those two it's always all about Kalinda. We often are asked not to care about Cary's point of view because the only love life they keep writing about is the Kalinda's one (with awful results I'd add). Even Dana wasn't a Cary's love interest for real. All their conversations were about the case or about Kalinda. She was just someone they used to give Kalinda's another adorer/foil and to tangle up Will's storyline.

Eurgh, you just reminded me of why I hated Dana and her relationship with Cary so much. If Cary was a real person, I'd seriously be telling the poor sap to look into therapy to figure out why he keeps being involved with women who don't give a damn about him at all.

Anyway, yeah, I didn't like Dana much and was glad she was off the show. And if Kalinda and Dana are the only examples of romantic partners this show can dredge up for him, I'd rather Cary lock his balls up in a vise and focus solely on his career from now on.

The truth is that Cary and Kalinda know absolutely nothing about each other because all their plots were never really about them and what's going on between them.

That's basically exactly why I'm so disappointed in these two as a pairing. Their relationship always ends up being a side-show to The Pulpy Adventures of Kalinda and we end up learning almost nothing about how they might work together if they were together. Hell, I'm not even 100% sure how they feel about each other -- or why they feel that way.

Kalinda, as far as I can tell, feels a kind of fondness for Cary that still doesn't make room for much trust. And yet, she gets hurts when he (as she sees it) betrays her by 'going behind her back' to seek Robyn out. (Which I don't think is a betrayal at all but whatever -- Kalinda thought it was). So what does she expect and want from him? Friendship? A friends-with-benefits type of relationship? Or a relationship where she can waltz in and out at her convenience and set all the rules, which he has to obey? (That's more or less what she wanted with the Will & Cary negotiations -- and it's a horrible deal for Cary if so.)

And I'm even up to the point where I'm squinting to see why Cary is still so love-sick over Kalinda. Sure, she's sexy and mysterious and smart and all -- but does he on some level enjoy being picked up and dropped at her whim? Is he into playing the love-sick Romeo figure? Does he figure that the occasional pleasures of her company are worth feeling hurt when she walks away time and again? He seems to want an actual commitment from her but if so, he picked basically the worst person in the world to try and get into even a semi-committed stable relationship with.

It's been 4 seasons of dancing around one another and I'm still confused about what the hell their relationship is about.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 2:46 AM

Anyway, yeah, I didn't like Dana much and was glad she was off the show. And if Kalinda and Dana are the only examples of romantic partners this show can dredge up for him, I'd rather Cary lock his balls up in a vise and focus solely on his career from now on.

Besides the infinitesimal Kalinda's stuff and the brief daddy's stuff, most of his storyline had always to do with his career in the last 4 seasons so I think now they should focus more on the "emotional" stuff. Mostly because MC needs some material to show he's able to act and he's not a smirking background actor.

And if they stop to think about Cary like a Kalinda's satellite when it comes to his love life, maybe they'd be able to finally give him a love interest worth the name. But I'm sure they'll keep wasting time to involve him in Kalinda's mess whatever they'll do with her.

Or a relationship where she can waltz in and out at her convenience and set all the rules, which he has to obey?

That.

And I think that dynamic is not doing any favor to Cary's character anymore.  Did Robert King say that Cary's is the most rebellious character in the show? I wish he would kick against that thing too and finally move on (and send her to hell for once).

Edited by Cassiopea76, Jul 6, 2013 @ 5:30 AM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 4:40 AM

Picking up from a bit back, here's a slightly spoilery article that describes the Kings' thoughts on Cary and Kalinda (as well as some other potential love interests):

http://www.afterelle...terest/07/2013/

Some relevant non-spoilery stuff:

Both Cary Agos (Matt Czuchry) and Alicia Florrick (Julianna Margulies) are people she trusted, and now Kalinda is caught in the middle.

“It’s a hard one,” Robert said. “It’s a real tough one, because she really feels betrayed by people who are important to her who are leaving the firm to start their own firm, and she didn’t know Alicia was going with them. So it’s frustrating for her. She loves Will – I mean loves, as a buddy. [She's] very dedicated to Diane, even more so. But what she does is she starts up this relationship with Cary that both of them are wondering if its being used or truly romantic.”

But it doesn’t mean that Kalinda and Cary will never happen. Kalinda is fiercely bisexual and she has not been able to commit to anyone other than herself.

“You want to keep both sides of Kalinda open but you also kind of want to see—she’s touched on both sides of her personality by different sexes,” Robert said. “It’s not something that’s an either or—she really is someone who finds her best self in both sexes.”

However, given the spoilery bits in the article, it seems pretty clear that Kalinda and Cary are miles away from the more committed relationship that Cary seemingly wants. (Or... possibly wants. Who the hell knows for sure, given how little time they spend on Cary? Still, if it's just a sexy fling with Kalinda that he's after, he's sure been pining after it for a strangely long time.) After all, notice how the article talks only about

Spoiler
Cassiopea, I think your belief that Cary is simply going to be used as Kalinda's romantic b-plot (whenever some sexy guest-star isn't around, of course) is sadly accurate!

Poor Cary. But I guess that's what he gets for not being one of the showrunners' favorites!

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:39 AM

It's exactly what I expected. We don't need other proofs that they don't give a damn about Cary's character so there was no chance they could do something different with them that season. That C/K storyline will never work because whatever happens between them Cary doesn't matter for them. Kalinda feels this or that. But what about Cary? And if you read that article is pretty clear that Cary's a tool in Kalinda's search for her self best.Yeah, poor Cary and poor Matt Czuchry, because it doesn't seem that season they have something good in store for him.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:45 AM.

Arista

Arista

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

That article comes from a lesbian media site, so I don't expect to read much about Cary or his other possible romantic entaglements. That quotes from The Kings and the article itself are from Kalinda's perspective.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:58 AM

Quotes from The Kings about C/K are usually from Kalinda's prospective.

For istance....

Season 4 "  "one of the things Kalinda really likes is when Cary is in 'take no prisoners' mode.'"

Seson 3 "There's something about Cary that is always very important to her"

Season 2 " His growing up at the State's Attorney's Office, she's thrown by that and finds him, if not desirably sexually, at least desirable as an adult."

Edited by Cassiopea76, Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:59 AM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

When you look at how they talk about the Cary/Kalinda connection as a whole, it really does become amazingly, strikingly apparent that they see the whole thing from Kalinda's POV. Conciously or unconciously, they see the C/K relationship as this lop-sided entity where Cary has to prove himself as some pinacle of maturity and desirability to even get a taste of Kalinda's company. It's like he has to throw himself at her path over and over to prove that he can take whatever she dishes out, while it's taken for granted that of course he'd want to be with her. Because of course, what man (or woman or semi-sentient mammal) wouldn't want to be with Kalinda no matter how she treats them? (Even if said man ends up getting his ass beat by her crazy jealous ex for comitting the crime of being friendly with Kalinda in public.)

It's just very funny and lopsided and makes Cary look like some sort of sad, socially inept man who has nothing better to do than wait around like some sort of sad wallflower until Kalinda finishes sexing up the latest guest-star and gets around to paying attention to him again. (And even when he does get a girl -- paging Dana -- he'll still be pining for Kalinda nonetheless! Hell, said girl will probably end up pining for Kalinda also.)

It becomes even more sadly hilarious when I think about how much an actual relationship between Cary and Kalinda would likely crash and burn after a while. If they were actual real life people, I'd give them maybe 3 months tops before Cary gets sick and tired of Kalinda's mysterious act and Kalinda gets sick and tired of being expected to be emotionally stable or open. (Let's face it, Kalinda/Aloofness is the show's real OTP.) They both seem much more into the fantasy of each other than the actual, living and breathing, day-to-day reality.

I'm still very curious about where the hell the show is going to take these two, because the showrunners ship tease like nobody's business. But I'm thinking that any kind of stable, functional relationship is unlikely to materialize.

Edited by Mariagonerlj, Jul 31, 2013 @ 2:34 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

I don't think it'll happen either and while I like both Kalinda and Cary, I really don't think they are right for each other (never have).  I don't appreciate the show trying to imply that they might belong together either.  I think it's just a matter of convenience/laziness.  "Oh, we've got these two characters here, let's put them together."  I am not a shipper for most shows so I usually hate it when shows want to put their regular characters together just because.  At least make it plausible if you want to do that but as these two characters are written there's no way they could have a happy ending together.  OTOH, I understand the frustration on the part of those who think Cary is getting the raw end of the deal but I blame the writers for that.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

The funny thing is that even though I completely agree that any relationship between Cary and Kalinda is doomed to fail in the long-run, I'd actually love to see the show explore their connection further. Kalinda's about as emotionally accessible as an ice-burg (with the possible except of Alicia -- although that relationships long crashed and burned) and Cary seems to be just a bit emotionally needy and the sort of person who probably needs a partner who gives him a lot of open affection and support. (Which would be no surprise given his jackass father and the constant battering and rejection he's taken in during his career so far!) These two practically occupy completely different universes when it comes to thinking about what an 'ideal' relationship would be like and I'm guessing that if they actually had an affair, it would be a short-lived one that would (at best) end while allowing them to remain friends and partners. Cary, especially, seems so enarmored with his fantasy of who Kalinda is -- and it's a fantasy that likely doesn't have much to do with the actual Kalinda and her needs and patterns.

But I'd still much rather see these two at least try a romantic relationship of some sort rather than have Kalinda sex up random guest stars (none of whom interest me much as I know they're bound to exit the show sooner or later) and then bounce back to sad, lonely, wilting rosebud Cary whenever the Kings have run out of novel conquests for her. At least I care about the both of these two as individuals (though Cary's development is stupidly neglected and late season Kalinda is nowhere near as intersting as early season Kalinda). I think a well-written (if doomed) relationship between them would really show off some interesting facets to their character. Can Kalinda still care about Cary as a friend if they're in a romantic relationship? Can Cary mature and come to understand the difference between the real Kalinda and the fantasy Kalinda he's been pining over after years? How do they deal with each other after they realize how different their world-views are? Will they betray each other if the opportunity strikes? Can they sanely fight over something a little more important and compelling than Kalinda's health insurance? Can they still remain friends after the inevitable rupture?

If the Kings actually invested time and energy into writing these two as a pairing, instead of shipteasing them occasionally after they run out of new people to run by Kalinda, the Kalinda/Cary relationship could really end up as a very compelling one that leads to a lot of character growth. But of course, the Kings probably think that would drain Kalinda's 'mystique' too much. So never mind any of that. Bring on the next random love interest for her.

All this and we haven't had a bloody kissing scene between these two gorgeous creatures in years. Oh, the sad waste of it all!

Edited by Mariagonerlj, Jul 31, 2013 @ 3:02 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

Your scenario sounds thoughtful but let's look at how the Kings have written Alicia/Peter/Will.  I'd actually be willing (grin and bare it) the Cary/Kalinda story you've put out there but I have no faith it would get done half as well and would be completely muddled.

The thing is, I do agree that both these characters need people they can be close to/have a real friendship without strings attached; someone they can trust and depend on.  I'd settle for that over the sexual part but I'll hit the Powerball before that happens.

I'm actually curious to see what this new love interest for Kalinda is about based on what's been said about her approach with Kalinda but I'm not holding my breath on that one either and it still doesn't address Cary.  I think he and Robin would be a cute couple.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 2:11 AM

The thing is, I do agree that both these characters need people they can be close to/have a real friendship without strings attached; someone they can trust and depend on.  I'd settle for that over the sexual part but I'll hit the Powerball before that happens.

I'd really like to see a platonic friendship like that build between Cary and Kalinda at some point, but realistically, it would likely have to be after all the sexual tension left their relationship. Which would probably take a failed affair betwen them and/or a successful affair with another woman to get over for Cary, given how hard he's been pining after Kalinda for 4+ years. I would find it a little weird if Cary just popped up one day and went -- oop, I'm over you and your various saucy charms despite how they make up a solid 70% of your character, Kalinda. Let's be friends now!

And yeah, I strongly believed that a romance doesn't have to be the "hearts and kisses, puppies and rainbows, let's run off and have a litter of beautiful badass multiracial babies" type to be interesting and worthy of exploration. I strongly believe that Cary and Kalinda as a romantic relationship would implode pretty quickly. But it could at least be an interesting implosion! Given what great chemistry Archie Panjabi and Matt Czuchry have and how their connection dates back to the very first season of the show (however much of an ass Cary was back then), it just seems like such a waste of the show's time and energy to simply give up on their potential romance, and the character development that would come from seeing these two try (even if it's futile) to build a life together.

I think he and Robin would be a cute couple.

That said, I actually think Cary and Robyn were very cute! Cary seems to be into forbidden romances and steely ice queens who only begrudgingly reveal their hearts so Robyn's probably too cute, open and honest for his tastes. (Note: Cary really seems to enjoy women who make him jump through hoops, however frustrating it is in the long-run.) But I think these two had a really cute, goofy energy together and I thought their scenes together (especially the one where they try to pretend she's his associate in front of douchey law clerk guy) were very charming. Cary just seems a lot more laid-back and amused with her than with, say, Kalinda or Dana. I'd actually like to see Cary and Robyn become better friends and have more scenes together. However, given Robyn's guest-character status, I'm pretty sure she'll be platooned off the show show sooner or later and I doubt the showrunners will invest any more energy in them.

It would be very nice to see Cary involved with a woman who actually, y'know, seems to sincerely care about him and enjoy his company without fleeing from him as though he's a plague victim. But now we're just talking pipe-dreams and fantasies!

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 4:00 AM

When you look at how they talk about the Cary/Kalinda connection as a whole, it really does become amazingly, strikingly apparent that they see the whole thing from Kalinda's POV

Well, it becomes even more apparent when every season they involve Cary's character in Kalinda's plots just to keep her busy but with absolutely no consideration of his own plot or storyarc. Did RK make amends about Cary's beaten up ridicolous plot? No, of course, because it doesn't matter.

Conciously or unconciously, they see the C/K relationship as this lop-sided entity where Cary has to prove himself as some pinacle of maturity and desirability to even get a taste of Kalinda's company.

And in their mind after 4 ys of tests he's still not enough for her. Indeed she loves Will, she loves Diane even more. And she worships Alicia. But hey, they still don't know how to define what she feels for Cary. Oh, yeah, she trusted him but he failed her last absurd test so...

It looks like she's not entitled to feel some genuine and clear feeling for him but just that using/maybe romantic/but mostly unidentified thing. And conveniently, because this allows them to let her jumping on a new love interest every season. Obviously they don't even bother to define or explain what Cary feels for her because whatever he feels for her it doesn't matter.

It becomes even more sadly hilarious when I think about how much an actual relationship between Cary and Kalinda would likely crash and burn after a while. If they were actual real life people, I'd give them maybe 3 months tops before Cary gets sick and tired of Kalinda's mysterious act and Kalinda gets sick and tired of being expected to be emotionally stable or open. (Let's face it, Kalinda/Aloofness is the show's real OTP.) They both seem much more into the fantasy of each other than the actual, living and breathing, day-to-day reality.

Cary and Kalinda dynamics have been the same for 3 years. After 3 years we are still discussing about the same things. It means that the writing for their relationship lacked development. And I'm getting sick and tired of it.

I'm still very curious about where the hell the show is going to take these two, because the showrunners ship tease like nobody's business. But I'm thinking that any kind of stable, functional relationship is unlikely to materialize.

Stable and functional relationship doesn't mean it has to last years. And since the show is not going to last forever they could have given them a shot. Personally I would be content with them just finally defining that thing between them and trying to explore it seriously. But that is unlikely to materialize because I'm sure writers will just keep jerking fans about it.

it would be very nice to see Cary involved with a woman who actually, y'know, seems to sincerely care about him and enjoy his company without fleeing from him as though he's a plague victim. But now we're just talking pipe-dreams and fantasies!

For those writers he's not good enough for it. He's just good enough to be Kalinda's occasional interlude.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Aug 4, 2013 @ 12:34 PM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

Conciously or unconciously, they see the C/K relationship as this lop-sided entity where Cary has to prove himself as some pinacle of maturity and desirability to even get a taste of Kalinda's company.

And in their mind after 4 ys of tests he's still not enough for her. Indeed she loves Will, she loves Diane even more. And she worships Alicia. But hey, they still don't know how to define what she feels for Cary. Oh, yeah, she trusted him but he failed her last absurd test so...

It looks like she's not entitled to feel some genuine and clear feeling for him but just that using/maybe romantic/but mostly unidentified thing. And conveniently, because this allows them to let her jumping on a new love interest every season. Obviously they don't even bother to define or explain what Cary feels for her because whatever he feels for her it doesn't matter.

And in the end, that's the most annoying part about their relationship's development -- or lack thereof. He's been in and out of Lockheart-Gardner and a few relationships; she's been through her fair share of struggles and even more relationships. But at the end of the day, we're still left in the dark about what the status of their relationship and feelings are.

Even with Cary, we can only kind of guess what he wants. He's clearly infatuated with Kalinda but what is he looking for when he's with her? A good time? A long-term relationship? Some fun in between work?

And things are even more unclear where Kalinda's involved. She's hurt because of his apparently hiring Robyn over her -- but what was she expecting? What does she want in the future? What "rights" is she looking for in their... partnership or whatever together?

It's all left so vague because, as you said, the writers clearly want plenty of room to maneuver for Kalinda's next romantic sub-plot with Guest Star X. After 4 years, I want better.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:23 AM

I think the most annoying part of their relationship is that while writers were busy wasting time on Kalinda's love interest X or adjusting her messed up storylines they kept putting Cary in the waiting room without his own decent storyarc. And RK can say whatever he wants about season 5 but I'm sure nothing so good will come out of that "Florrick/Agos & Associates" plot for Cary. We'll be lucky if we'll see him in court a couple of times; then he'll be used like plot device most of the time and everything is likely doomed to end bad for him personally and professionally anyway: because it's what they do every damn season.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Aug 10, 2013 @ 3:44 AM.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

So what does everyone think of the interesting little scene between Kalinda and Cary in Season 5's Episode 2, The Bit Coin? I know we've been talking a lot (and very justifiably) about the previous 'holding pattern' that developed between Cary and Kalinda, where he gave her puppy dog eyes constantly out of some combination of low self-esteem and raging lust and she'd throw him the occasional sexual favor once in a while in between shagging whatever random guest stars the Kings set in her path. But amazingly, this episode seems to have altered that dynamic by quite a lot!

In fact, Cary seemed less likely to roll over and beg for a belly rub and more likely to roll his eyes at Kalinda and her obvious dismay at the coming split between the old guard and the young turks at L&G. I don't know if Matt Czuchry was explicitly told to act in a particular way but I felt as though Cary was definitely projecting less attraction and more annoyance at Kalinda. (Though given how horrid she looked, I think even a smitten Cary would be wondering if she had 2 black eyes in that scene. Does the makeup department hate Archie Panjabi or something?) And he didn't ask her to join his little band of defectors either -- which, combined with him insisting that Robyn be Florrick & Agos' investigator in Season 5's premiere (in the opening scene with Alicia) might mean he's given up on working with Kalinda in the future.

So what do you suppose this scene might mean? Is it just an insignificant little throw-away scene -- one made just to move the plot? Or does it mean that Cary and Kalinda's relationship has evolved to another level -- one where he's stopped pining over her and wants her to either give him some sort of commitment (in terms of his firm or his life) or he walks? I certainly hope so but you never fully know on this show...

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 8, 2013 @ 6:10 AM

So what do you suppose this scene might mean? Is it just an insignificant little throw-away scene -- one made just to move the plot? Or does it mean that Cary and Kalinda's relationship has evolved to another level -- one where he's stopped pining over her and wants her to either give him some sort of commitment (in terms of his firm or his life) or he walks? I certainly hope so but you never fully know on this show...

Too short to say more, but I just think they're showing that she's uncomfortable in that situation. She knows about the 4th associates schism and she's not helping David Lee at all but at the same time she didn't tell Cary anything about the phone calls. As for Cary and Kalinda relationship...I fear it's not going to improve. Right now she thinks Cary's new firm is not going to hurt so bad the firm (and Will and Diane) and she understands why they're doing this and sympathize with them, but once she'll find out about Alicia, I'm sure she'll blame Cary for not telling her about it (I'm not saying that she's right about it but that would be the typical Kalinda's reaction).And I think she'll pick L&G side because all the troubles Will and Diane are going through. In a few words no Cary and Kalinda and let's enter the new love interest. Those writers always find a way to cool off their relationship.

In fact, Cary seemed less likely to roll over and beg for a belly rub and more likely to roll his eyes at Kalinda and her obvious dismay at the coming split between the old guard and the young turks at L&G. I don't know if Matt Czuchry was explicitly told to act in a particular way but I felt as though Cary was definitely projecting less attraction and more annoyance at Kalinda. (Though given how horrid she looked, I think even a smitten Cary would be wondering if she had 2 black eyes in that scene. Does the makeup department hate Archie Panjabi or something?) And he didn't ask her to join his little band of defectors either -- which, combined with him insisting that Robyn be Florrick & Agos' investigator in Season 5's premiere (in the opening scene with Alicia) might mean he's given up on working with Kalinda in the future.

Cary, IMO, is too busy to be worry about Kalinda and her nth cold wave. And I also think that he hardly tried to get her but in the end it was her choice to not join them. Her reaction was excessive and they would have talked about it in a more mature way. But that's something will never happen in that show.

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

As for Cary and Kalinda relationship...I fear it's not going to improve. Right now she thinks Cary's new firm is not going to hurt so bad the firm (and Will and Diane) and she understands why they're doing this and sympathize with them, but once she'll find out about Alicia, I'm sure she'll blame Cary for not telling her about it (I'm not saying that she's right about it but that would be the typical Kalinda's reaction).

It's hard to predict anything that Kalinda might do in the future, which I think mostly boils down to the fact that the writers use her "mysterious nature" as an excuse to make her do whatever the plot needs her to do. (Hence, the random and rather childish temper tantrum she had in the S4 finale over Cary not showering her with non-existent start-up money to join his new firm and instead moving onto the far cheaper Robyn. I really can't imagine the cool, collected, savvy Kalinda of Season 1 throwing a fit over simple business negotiations.)

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up getting angry at Cary yet again for not telling her Alicia was going to be a major partner in the new firm in order to give her yet another reason not to jump ship for Florrick & Agos. Of course, it would probably make more sense for her to get mad at Alicia but you know that's never going to happen.

Cary, IMO, is too busy to be worry about Kalinda and her nth cold wave. And I also think that he hardly tried to get her but in the end it was her choice to not join them. Her reaction was excessive and they would have talked about it in a more mature way.

If Cary and Kalinda were real people or at least characterized in a consistently realistic manner, I'd assume that Cary is already somewhat over Kalinda and her drama-queen/hot-and-cold tendencies. I'm sure he still feels a lot of desire and affection for her... but given how she handled his offer to join his firm (as well as the way she brushed off his apparent desire for more contact after their one night stand), he might have decided that trying to have a relationship with her that goes beyond banter-and-a-bang was useless and he should start distancing himself from her for the sake of his own emotional stability. Given that there's a snow-cone's-chance-in-hell of them eventually ending up in a stable, loving relationship, that's probably best for him. Though I would like to see their intense sexual and emotional chemistry on-screen yet again, I just can't see it ending well for him!

Then again, this show being what it is (that is: addicted to crazy plot twists as needed for 'drama'), he might be back to being crazy in love with her as soon as her latest fling ends and Kalinda needs another suitor. But I suppose we'll have to wait and see if that happens!

Edited by Mariagonerlj, Oct 8, 2013 @ 2:44 PM.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:36 AM

It seems like all our predictions about Cary's storyline (and love life) will come true and all things we hated about his relationship with Kalinda will be once again recycled that season.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:37 AM.

AVGS

AVGS

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

It seems like all our predictions about Cary's storyline (and love life) will come true and all things we hated about his relationship with Kalinda will be once again recycled that season.

I don't know.. I feel like they could make a mutual "is this quid pro quo or something more" fun, but I'm afraid it'll go in a nasty direction where they end up hating each other... And then Cary will be back on the unrequited love train next time Kalinda needs a new love interest.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

I don't know.. I feel like they could make a mutual "is this quid pro quo or something more" fun, but I'm afraid it'll go in a nasty direction where they end up hating each other... And then Cary will be back on the unrequited love train next time Kalinda needs a new love interest.

I think the quid pro quo thing was good in season 2 but now, after 3 ys, it would be just done there seen that. But I'm sure they'll somewhat regress their storyline to season 2 or season 3 status because they want to introduce a new love interest for her. And honestly, I don't mind: give her a new love interest, do whatever you want. I stopped to care about Cary and Kalinda long time ago when I got that those writers will never go there SERIOUSLY and mostly when I got that Cary is a big nothing when it comes to his dynamics with Kalinda who's the only one who matters for those writers.

But there's a thing I don't understand: if those writers are so against Kalinda and Cary being something more than a seasonal tease, which never get any serious development or a script worthy both the characters, why can't they just stop it and give Cary someone new to romantically interact with? Why do they insist on pissing off his fans having him always involved with her and with the same outcome?

No surprise here someone thinks that they just keep "using" him to give her something to do between one love interst and another.

So IMO until they won't cast or introduce the new love interest Cary is doomed to be trapped in all those old boring dinamycs with Kalinda with no chance to get something better and new to do in the romantic field.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:36 PM.