Ravenswood: PLL "Spin-off" Series

• Please log in to reply

336 replies to this topic

calliesu

calliesu

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

Coming fall 2013, a new ABC Family drama called "Ravenswood."  The series is supposed to be a spin-off from "Pretty Little Liars," but the connection is unknown as of yet.  

Official synopsis:

"Ravenswood" will center on a town, not far from Rosewood, PA (the home base of "Pretty Little Liars"), which has suffered under a deadly curse for generations. Five strangers suddenly find themselves connected by this fatal curse and need to dig into the town's mysterious and terrible history before it's too late for each of them.

PLL's Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) is the only character we know of that will be making the move to Ravenswood.  Apparently, some PLL characters will also make appearances there:

This article about PLL says which episode the town of Ravenswood will make its first appearance on the show:

http://hollywoodlife...on-4-episode-6/

So basically, this show is supposed to be similar to PLL but with a supernatural element.  Sounds sort of like "Secret Circle"....

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

Well, PLL introduced it and it looks cheesy as hell. I'm not sure what to think yet. I did like how the color palette changed once they got into town.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

That town was supposed to be Ravenswood?  I was only half paying attention.  But I kept wondering why it suddenly looked like we were in some ghost story about people who somehow entered a town of dead people.

OhOhOoooh

OhOhOoooh

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 3:35 AM

I feel like I'm going to need a flashlight or a big bottle of Tylenol if I'm going to be watching this show.  Holy squinting, Batman!

calliesu

calliesu

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

So it's set to premiere on October 22nd, right after the PLL Halloween episode.

Here's a link to an article containing a video interview with Tyler (Caleb), Marlene King, Shay Mitchell, and more from the PLL cast:
http://www.eonline.c...enswood-spinoff
it discusses what the new show will be like...it's supposed to be even darker than PLL, and scarier.

What do yall think so far?

calliesu

calliesu

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=IAbeFKC0APo
Official trailer for Ravenswood. I think it looks pretty interesting! At least better than the trips from PLL so far.

Here's the official synopsis for the first episode:

After opting to stay in Ravenswood to help out new pal Miranda, Caleb begins to rethink his decision, especially after he meets Mirandas cold and unwelcoming uncle Raymond (Steven Cabral). Caleb also has some unpleasant interactions with local resident Luke (Brett Dier), who is struggling to deal with a recent family tragedy and its ensuing scandal, which has also swept up his twin sister Olivia (Merritt Patterson).
Unnerved by what they witnessed the night of the party, and besieged by strange and supernatural occurrences, Caleb and Miranda begin to investigate this bizarre town. Their first ally is Ravenswood teen Remy (Britne Oldford), who has a keen insight to the towns peculiar history and has started connecting some troublesome dots. These five teens have no idea how connected their lives are and the plans that Ravenswood has in store for them.

Love Caleb and can't wait see what this show is like, and what the supernatural elements are.

Edited by calliesu, Aug 30, 2013 @ 3:33 PM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 2:44 AM

TBH I just don't know about Ravenswood. I love Haleb, but I'm not sure about a series where Caleb of all people becomes the centre piece of another mystery. Mrs Grunwald was more interesting than I expected last PLL episode but am I bothered about another long running supernatural mystery? I'll watch the Halloween pilot and see. I hope they chemistry is as good as it is between the PLL characters, otherwise it won't be longer. And they will hopefully get rid of that blue filter.

Edited by Featherhat, Aug 31, 2013 @ 3:49 AM.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 3:00 AM

Wait, so Caleb meets a new chick and he's suddenly "Good luck surviving A without being murdered and/or framed for some crime or another, Hanna! Gotta fuck off to this creepy town with my new friend to investigate curses and shit. Call if you need a hand with hacker stuff!"

That's really cool.

Also, I'm not sure Caleb is seriously the best character to embroil in supernatural stuff, given that he can barely put up with regular A levels of illogical crap.

Which doesn't mean I'm not going to watch Ravenswood, because it looks like it's going to be crazy.

calliesu

calliesu

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

Wait, so Caleb meets a new chick and he's suddenly "Good luck surviving A without being murdered and/or framed for some crime or another, Hanna! Gotta fuck off to this creepy town with my new friend to investigate curses and shit. Call if you need a hand with hacker stuff!"

I know, I don't really see how they can get me to buy that Caleb, the best bf in Rosewood, is going to leave Hanna when a big poop storm is coming for her all the time. But I guess we'll just have to watch the Halloween ep. and see how they do this.

As much as I don't want Caleb to leave, I'm glad it's him and not Toby. Tyler is a better actor and I think can hold his own a lot better than Keegan. But I just love Caleb with any of the Marin family!! :(

Also, the girl (I think Miranda) that he looks at in the promo...she looks like a girl Caleb. If they hook up, it will just be weird.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 9:15 AM

That's really cool.

Also, I'm not sure Caleb is seriously the best character to embroil in supernatural stuff, given that he can barely put up with regular A levels of illogical crap.

Which doesn't mean I'm not going to watch Ravenswood, because it looks like it's going to be crazy.

I'm not sure how his hacking skills can help in a creepy town especially if there's supernatural elements to it.

StarsFallen

StarsFallen

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

That's really cool.

Seriously, think I love this description of Caleb randomly just going to a new creepy town. But yes, I'm probably watching this too. At least the first episode. 

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

Seriously, think I love this description of Caleb randomly just going to a new creepy town. But yes, I'm probably watching this too. At least the first episode.

Apparently he befriends this girl, Miranda, tries to help her, has second thoughts and there's something. the mystery that keeps him in Ravenswood, although he can go back and forth for whatever crossover they might have in the future.

JazzBuffy

JazzBuffy

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

That girl who looks like a female Caleb is probably going to end up being his sister, cousin, insert relative because why else would Caleb stay in a town and help. They have been building up his character to be someone who puts family first, he ran off to find his dad, reconciled with his mom, makes sure Hannah and her Mom are together, reached out to Hannah's dad to help her etc.

I'm assuming it is a curse that begins when all of the members come to ravenswood. I would assume they can't leave town til it is solved.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 10:44 AM

That girl who looks like a female Caleb is probably going to end up being his sister, cousin, insert relative because why else would Caleb stay in a town and help. They have been building up his character to be someone who puts family first, he ran off to find his dad, reconciled with his mom, makes sure Hannah and her Mom are together, reached out to Hannah's dad to help her etc.

I'm assuming it is a curse that begins when all of the members come to ravenswood. I would assume they can't leave town til it is solved.

Yeah, I think that's part of this show's mystery and it's supposed to bring the group together.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

I figured this would happen, but ABC Family has now confirmed it: in week 2, the show will move an hour and start at 8.

I'm really curious to see how the show does. They're promoting the show differently than they've promoted their other new shows; and ABC Family has never premiered a new show in the fall; and the broadcast networks have some major shows airing on Tuesdays at 8 (NCIS, SHIELD, The Originals, etc.).

Edited by Peterased, Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:53 PM.

calliesu

calliesu

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

For the sake of Tyler Blackburn, I hope it does well, bc I love him. My expectations are not too high (I had high hopes for ABCFamily's Twisted and they have pretty much squandered a really good premise), but I would really like for it to do well so I can keep watching Caleb while enjoying a good story. It would also be nice to have another good show to watch when PLL is on hiatus.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

I really have no idea, how it will do. Clearly they wanted a show/fall run that could "link" their two main seasons, they tried with S@B last year and it was only so so in the ratings. Launching it off PLL's popular Halloween eps and going straight into a full on series no "special preview" gives them the best shot they'll have, especially in October with the "spooky" theme. As calliesu says they praying it becomes as big a hit for the months when PLL isn't on.

PLL should get great ratings after the last twist and setting it in Ravenswood with some crossover characters should have more people tuning in than did to "Twisted" "The Lying Game" or "Chloe King". It could be the Grey's/PrP/Scandal match up of ABC Family. Only Shonda Rhimes dramas actually do ok ratings behind Grey's Anatomy, even when it was at its peak.

As for 8pm, its a hugely crowded slot but the biggest direct competition for the same demo is "The Originals" on the CW. Battle of the Spin offs.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:18 AM

I think the author of this review accidentally included his notes on everything that happens in the pilot, so if you want to be spoiled, check it out. (I imagine those notes will be deleted soon.)

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

Apparently I have a type.  The crazy over the top mystery/horror genre like PLL and American Horror Story because God damn it!  I kinda liked Ravenwood.  

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

I thought it was pretty awful.

So you think there is a curse and 5 teens will die and you pile 5 teens in a car on a foggy night and drive over a bridge. Good plan.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I'm not sure why anything that happened to him in this episode would make Caleb think he should stay in this town and not run back to Rosewood.

rr2

rr2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

There were some lame parts, but overall I kind of liked it. I have been getting tired of Pretty Little Liars for a while so I need another guilty pleasure show to take its place. 

So you think there is a curse and 5 teens will die and you pile 5 teens in a car on a foggy night and drive over a bridge. Good plan.

Yea. I saw that coming a mile away. But it is also like what is the likelihood that they would meet two more people that they know walking in the middle of the night. So she can't just drive past them especially when one is her boyfriend. 

Also it wasn't even an actual normal car accident. A ghost stepped in the middle of the road. Then Miranda (dumb*ss) grabs the wheel. 

Who do you think died?

At first I thought it would be Olivia, the sister or Miranda. Because the girl/boy ratio is 3/2. We just need one of the siblings alive. Miranda served her part at the moment to get Caleb there. I didn't think Remi because she is a minority and she has alot of access to the newspaper in town. 

Edited by rr2, Oct 22, 2013 @ 10:35 PM.

PeriwinkleEyes

PeriwinkleEyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Apparently I have a type. The crazy over the top mystery/horror genre like PLL and American Horror Story because God damn it! I kinda liked Ravenwood. 

I'm right here with you Nightmare Logic.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

I wish this show didn't have the PLL connection, but I still thought it was atmospheric enough to watch a few more episodes.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

Did anyone else think the brother was the one who threw the red paint on the homecoming queen girl?  His jacket looked like the guy who was running away, and he seemed like he really wanted her to join him in the "us against everyone else" thing he's got going on.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

Did anyone else think the brother was the one who threw the red paint on the homecoming queen girl?  His jacket looked like the guy who was running away, and he seemed like he really wanted her to join him in the "us against everyone else" thing he's got going on.

I thought there was a chance it was him, he'd have to be a teleporter to pull it off, but I guess that's possible for this show.

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

I thought there was a chance it was him, he'd have to be a teleporter to pull it off, but I guess that's possible for this show.

I thought this for a split second. The jackets were different, I could buy him changing his jacket quickly in the alley, but the guy that threw the paint was wearing completely different pants than Luke. Impossible for him to change pants that quickly. 

Edited by Mikita, Oct 22, 2013 @ 11:17 PM.

leopard9

leopard9

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

Is it bad if I'm already tentatively shipping Caleb and Miranda?  I liked this episode.  It was definitely better than PLL.  I wonder how they're going to justify Caleb being in Ravenswood?  He's not a citizen of the town so it's not like he can start going to the high school there.  In fact, who's he staying with in Rosewood?

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2013 @ 3:24 AM

I always liked Caleb/Hanna. But if they're going to be on different shows there's not going to be much of a relationship anyway, so he might as well start dating Miranda. I had not paid attention to casting for Ravenswood, so it was a nice surprise to see Nicole Anderson. I always liked her as Kelly Parker on MIOBI.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2013 @ 4:29 AM

Ravenswood is going to air from now until the holidays but PLL's 4B doesn't start until January, so are we going to see whatever happens to Hanna/Caleb twice? That was the great thing about Buffy/Angel airing their episodes back to back on the same night - when there were crossovers or even phone calls between the two main characters, we saw it right away. Then again, since PLL has its own crazy timeline, I guess Ravenswood's 1A could end up covering like 3-5 days and then when PLL starts again in January, someone will say it's only been a week since they saw Ali.

I love Hanna and Caleb's relationship so I really hope they don't break up, but if they do I don't want to have to watch it separately on each show. I don't know how they can keep Caleb in Ravenswood indefinitely though so I guess I'm just trying to figure out how the timelines on both shows are going to work.

The creepy uncle doesn't come off as creepy as he's supposed to be. I mean, he's not all rainbows and unicorns or anything, but he seems more standoffish than creepy.

So how did Remy manage to find a random photo of Caleb's "ancestor" but not the obituary? Did she use the fancy facial recognition newspaper scanning program that Ravenswood reserves for the old issues in the basement?