The Freshman Class

• Please log in to reply

75 replies to this topic

zerographic

zerographic

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

Following 4 different people through Culinary School.

Jasmine - single, mother, early-20's, stripping part-tie to make money for school and rent

Jared - mid-20's, veteran, has PTSD, insomnia, multiple TBI

Ben - late 30's, married father of 2, in extremely dire financial straits, wants to open his own restaurant

Tiffany - mid-40's, married mother of 3 (I think), in a VERY traditional marriage

Anyone else watching this?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

I wanted to reach through the tv and slap Jasmine during her dinner with her mother. She was so annoying! You know it's going to come to,light because you are on a reality show, your mother even guessed that was what you were doing, just own up to it and stop acting like a drama queen. Also, if you are so ashamed maybe trade in your Lexus and try to do something else. I have no problem with stripping but her ridiculousness about telling her mother was beyond annoying.

I wish they would spend more time in the classroom and less on the personal lives of the students.

Cadisun

Cadisun

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 1:43 AM

I wish they would spend more time in the classroom and less on the personal lives of the students.

I agree, especially now that they are finally moving from strictly classroom theory to actual  kitchen work.

Tiffany (the mother) is going to get kicked out of the program if she keeps messing up by being late (she already has two strikes against her in a three strikes and your out situation) and whining to the instructors.  I wonder if she would do better if she was able to concentrate on her own class work instead of worrying about her daughter. 

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 1:54 AM

I forgot all about this show! I set up a series recording on the FN when they had the first show on because it was in HD, but I guess that was the only show they had on, and I just forgot about it until I saw this thread. I found the other shows on the cooking channel (not in HD :-( ), so I'll have to catch up. I don't know why FN only showed the first episode, but now that they dumped Paula Dean, they should have plenty of room for the other episodes!

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

I was wondering where the thread was for this show!

I actually love this show. I'm a sucker for those "follow-your-dreams-at-all-costs" type. They obviously selected the four students that could most up the drama quotient. Also, did none of these four research school before starting? They all seemed shocked that they spent the first 4-6 weeks studying theory and classroom learning instead of just jumping right in to cooking. And they seemed surprised that they needed to STUDY and take tests.

Jasmine - I admire her for taking steps to getting a better career. Her family seems a bit more well off, but they're not helping her with school. As her friend said last night, her mom obviously already knows (strongly suspects) about being a stripper and that's why she keeps asking about it. She seems determined, if not the brightest bulb. I think she'll make it.

Tiffany - lord, what a mess this woman is. She's worrying about her daughter, she's worrying about her husband, she's worrying about cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen. I'm actually glad they have separated for the time being. He seems like an asshole. I can see Tiffany not making it - she's barely hanging on.

Jared - How difficult to know that you can do something and be let down by your body. You can just see him getting distracted and trying to recall information and his brain just won't go there. However, he seems to be the brightest in the class and does really well on all the tests. I'm glad he gave his instructors the letter about needing some more time to complete tests.

Ben - I just love Ben. He seems so sweet and dedicated. I love that he initially rejected the help from his wife's parents, but in the end, needed some help and asked for it. I think he's underestimating how much it really costs to get a restaurant up and running. Maybe he's hoping some exposure on the show will get him some investors.

Lovecat

Lovecat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

One thing that struck me was Tiffany's comment about her daughter not really knowing how to cook, and that she was going to culinary school to learn.  Uh, I'm pretty sure that most people who go to culinary school can already cook--not professionally, not knowing all of the science behind things, not knowing all of the techniques they'll eventually learn--but well enough to crank out a basic chicken, rice, and carrots meal without having a nervous breakdown.  She's got to stop the whining, too.  Looks like Teacher Chef is trying to toughen them up in addition to teaching them practical skills.  There's no crying on the line!!

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

What day/time does it come on, and what channel?

Edited by sereion, Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:57 AM.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 12:44 PM

Mondays, 10:30pm ET, Cooking Channel.

I wish the episodes were 1 hour long. There's only 8 of them. I think 3 so far have aired?

MicksPicks

MicksPicks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

Be sure to catch this limited series.  I don't know how to cook and would never go to culinary school, but I do watch some of these shows.  The mom's ass is grass.  Culinary school is expensive, and while many of them seem to have grants or something, you'd think they'd read a syllabus first and not be surprised at the theory and testing given.  I have no reason to know the terms associated with cooking; they do.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

I keep seeing the commercials for this show but never remember when it is on. I caught the first episode online and think it's pretty interesting. I love these 'follow your dream' shows as well.

I'm glad Jared turned in his disability form. I assume this is for profit environment (more on that later), but I'm a college professor and can't give anyone special consideration unless I have a document from the student disability services office. I gather from the comments that although Jared does well, he struggles to do so because of his disabilities. He really needed to let the teachers know his issues and I'm glad he got over his pride and told them. What a lot that young man has gone through!

Online there's a clip of Ben and his oldest daughter out hunting. He seems like a great dad and happy with his family, unlike Tiffany's husband. Whew. He reminded me of the husband in 'Educating Rita' - very afraid of his wife changing and getting something he doesn't have.

OK, re school - many community colleges offer a culinary program. Maybe they don't have one where these folks live, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something. Anyway, the for profit schools cost an arm and a leg. I wonder if these students were taken in by the slick advertising these schools do and never even looked into a lower cost alternative at the local community college? I'm not knocking their program (though the for profit programs seem to be hit and miss), just that I know they tend to cost right around the amount students get from the loan programs. Isnt't that convenient? What happens is students become overwhelmed economically and often drop out, so no certificate/degree and now the have loan payments. I've seen it more times than not, and sadly, the economic burden of the loan repayment often prohibits these students from going to a 'regular' school and finishing their program.

MicksPicks

MicksPicks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 1:49 AM

Aliyameadow, small world.  I was both a college professor and also at one time a person who first wrote contracts for those who were eligible to receive government money to go to school (limit at the times was 10k so everything cost 9999.) and later was in a job that asked me to go evaluate them.  Oh yes, heaven.  I wanted to schools to make taxpayers out of these people.  Fat chance I thought.  I was right.  Few met my expectation although they did meet the practically non-existant expectations of the programs.  If they finished and got a job for even a day in some cases they were a success.  Anyway, the school on this show is expensive.  They have very nice quarters and have so far provided them with great knife sets.  They are much stricter with them and more job oriented in that they operate like a job would--high expectations, low tolerance for errors.  In that way they are different than many schools that exist just to pick up the government bucks.  This is why Tiffany the mom may very well fail.  She has problems yes, but they are hers to deal with.  She will try to argue with the school and have them do things another way.  The school's instructors aren't buying it. 

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 3:27 AM

Well, if I ever wanted to go to culinary school, this show would certainly change my mind, it is way too hard LOL. Tiffany needs to STFU, she comes in late repeatedly, she posts things on her blog against the rules, & then she whines about how hard it is because she's 41 years old & raised kids & they shouldn't be mean to her like that. What does she think having a job is like? You get to come in late all the time? You can post whatever you want about your employer & they won't get mad? She's one of the oldest students there, & she needs to grow up.

Terrinator

Terrinator

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

Tiffany's lateness is the most maddening kind--one minute here, two minutes there.  Maybe it's the editing, but if I were in danger of being a couple of minutes late I'd sprint from my car to the classroom instead of saunter.   Especially if I were paying a fortune in tuition.  If nothing else to just look like I was hurrying--she definitely had an "I don't care" demeanor.

Surely she was told to ask what was offensive in her blog.  She couldn't possibly be that clueless and making someone repeat what he finds offensive is no way to smooth things over. 

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

OK, re school - many community colleges offer a culinary program. Maybe they don't have one where these folks live, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something. Anyway, the for profit schools cost an arm and a leg. I wonder if these students were taken in by the slick advertising these schools do and never even looked into a lower cost alternative at the local community college? I'm not knocking their program (though the for profit programs seem to be hit and miss), just that I know they tend to cost right around the amount students get from the loan programs. Isnt't that convenient? What happens is students become overwhelmed economically and often drop out, so no certificate/degree and now the have loan payments. I've seen it more times than not, and sadly, the economic burden of the loan repayment often prohibits these students from going to a 'regular' school and finishing their program.

The other part of the problem is that the pay in restaurants is horrendously low. They are not being compensated like law school grads and the idea of becoming the next Bobby Flay is pretty far fetched. They would be much better off going to a community college program rather than running up mountains of debt.

The better culinary programs usually insist on some prior work experience in the field so that students understand what they are getting into.

I started taping this last night as it seems intriguing.

Darian

Darian

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

Every time Tiffany says, "Oh, it's oooonnnnnnn," I want to thwack her. She's her own worst enemy. I felt for her in the first episode, but if she washes out of the program, I won't feel too bad.

On the other hand,  Jared is trying so hard and is so reluctant to ask for more time or other help. I was glad he did the Cannes competition and hope he was too discouraged by not winning, He didn't seem to be and was a good sport. I want him to do well. I really want them all to do well. 

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Tiffany is sabotaging herself. She knows exactly what she's doing by being late and writing that blog post. I think her husband's lack of support has gotten to her and is making her think she can't do it.

I am surprised by how little these students know when they start school. Jared didn't know what chickpeas were? Jasmine doesn't know how to make any kind of sauce but loves to cook?

Do they practice any of their knife skills at home? I realize julienne and batonnet are very precise, but none of these students seem to be knocking it out of the park.

Gale_Star

Gale_Star

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 1:04 PM

Tiffany is really starting to annoy me.  I also felt for her early on, but she strikes me as the type who feels the rules don't apply to her.  I agree the school is strict, but everyone else is arriving on time.  The teacher is not an "asshole" because YOU are late.  I hope the teachers don't take out their resentment of Tiffany on the daughter, who's still in the program.

JanetMacklin

JanetMacklin

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Thank goodness others are watching this as well. I know it's a regional accent but everytime Tiffany smugly said "It's awwwwn," it grated my nerves. Her instructor didn't even belittle her in front of her classmates. All he said was "Get a tardy slip." Yes, the attendance rule is strict but it's not hard to prioritize being there on time/early. I mean, Ben lives an epic drive away, he still manages.

Also, Tiffany's meek claim "I just needed to vent..." Uh, honey, that "it's awwwn," doesn't sound like you need to vent. And her comment "I'm just going to be a good girl and cook." You can't get away with that kind of simpering, get over yourself.  I wonder how invested in /affected by Tiffany's antics her daughter is. I know no one looks great in a chef's uniform but when that girl panicks, she makes a face not unlike the muppet character, Beaker.

I felt for Jared. I thought it was more a hearing issue than a memory issue, unless his very, very short-term memory is affected. When Chef Wes tore into his sausage, you could tell it was overcooked. And he didn't make an appetizer portion at all, regardless of the mishap.

I really root for Tiffany. Next week's episode shows some campus waitress randomly confronting her about her stripping. Which a stranger has no place to asking about in an educational environment. It seemed very critically said too. She's a single mother supporting her child. It's not your business how she does it.

Darian

Darian

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

I really root for Tiffany. Next week's episode shows some campus waitress randomly confronting her about her stripping. Which a stranger has no place to asking about in an educational environment. It seemed very critically said too. She's a single mother supporting her child. It's not your business how she does it.

Ok, you made me feel better, because I keep wanting to refer to Jasmine as Tiffany, too. I keep thinking I must know someone named Tiffany who looks like Jasmine. Or something. I couldn't agree with you more. I am rooting hard for her, too. She's providing for her child and doing well in a demanding program.

I want all three to do well. Tiffany's situation, with her husband not supporting her, hand me pulling for her, but she's squandered that goodwill. It seemed like her daughter does better without her mother's influence, but I guess we'll see if that lasts. But the other three all have challenges and are working hard to succeed. This isn't a competition, there are no pauses before someone is eliminated, but I am holding my breath when the instructor starts to give them their grades.        

Cadisun

Cadisun

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

I wonder if Tiffany went straight from school to stay at home housewife and babies without any work experience at all.  I mean what else could explain her entitled attitude and blatant disregard for the rules and disrespect for the instructors.  Her actions more closely resemble those of SOME self-important teenagers unsuccessfully dealing with their first job than a 40 plus year old.  No Tiffany, they are not there to pat you on the head, hold your hand and kiss your ass and let you get away with your habitual tardiness and disrespect for the program.  SMH.  

I wish Jasmine would just own up to her family about how she earns her money.  I think that would help to reduce the stress level she must be feeling trying to keep her mother in the dark. 

I feel for Jared.  I wonder if he has considered keeping notes about important aspects of new tasks such as two portions of an appetizer so he doesn't end up with one plate of a main course.  I have known people with memory issues that constantly write little notes to themselves in a notebook and refer to said notebook as "their brains" -- (smile).

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

I wonder if Tiffany went straight from school to stay at home housewife and babies without any work experience at all. 

I believe she said she got pregnant in high school, so she got married & became a wife & mother. I don't believe she ever had a career.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 1:46 AM

I don't like to root for people to fail but I so want Tiffany to be quicked out of her school. She is just delusional and takes no responsibility for her actions I want to smack her.

I missed the first episode did they say what the practical goals of these people were with their degree? Pay is shit and most of them don't seem to have even a basic love/passion/knowledge of cooking that you should have before spending so much money on this school. The only thing that would make sense if is the CC found these people and were paying their tuition.

cwreality

cwreality

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

I am pretty sure Tiffany just wants to be on TV. She and her family were the subject of an episode of True Life that was supposed to turn into a recurring show about those wild and crazy Theriots.

JanetMacklin

JanetMacklin

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

I am pretty sure Tiffany just wants to be on TV. She and her family were the subject of an episode of True Life

Oh my gosh, I skipped that episode entirely. Was Tiffany featured in it at all? I wonder if her husband is just playing the part of a controlling moron, then.

cwreality

cwreality

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

Yep, she was featured, along with her children. The husband didn't appear, but my read on this show is that he is playing a part. Jmo.

http://www.mtv.com/s...pisodeID=174577

Edited by cwreality, Jul 4, 2013 @ 12:22 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

I am pretty sure Tiffany just wants to be on TV. She and her family were the subject of an episode of True Life that was supposed to turn into a recurring show about those wild and crazy Theriots.

OMG, she's just another famewhore. Seriously, is anybody on any reality show not a serial famewhore? 

MicksPicks

MicksPicks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 3:00 AM

So what does anybody think about that guy, Ben I think, who is a taxidermist and has little kids?  He wants his own restaurant and I'm sure would do well.  He lives a very long way from the school so has quite a drive, but seems to do well.  He doesn't like being Mr Mom or the one to pick up from day care.  The preview showed him 2 months down on tuition.  Doesn't look like he will make it with those kinds of money issues.  You'd think he could take his paycheck from the show and pay to enroll next semester.  There are only 2 or 3 episodes left, I believe.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Tiffany's looking for attention and getting it.  It's wasy to easy to talk about work or school and never mention where you work or the names or accurate descriptions of co-workers or clients.  I've done it.  She was looking for the reaction she got.  No more sympathy for her.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

Shoot, it looks like they are only putting the first episode online and my provider doesn't have the Cooking Channel. Crap. This is what happens when you move, you either lose all your TV friends or you have to go all over the dial trying to find them in their new homes.

Does anyone know where this is available online?

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 2:22 AM

I get the impression that this isn’t a very good school. While he was making his béchamel sauce, Ben asked the teacher what béchamel should taste like. You would think that if they’re teaching someone how to cook something, they would demonstrate it & let the students taste it first. Just putting them at a stove & telling them to go at it is not my idea of good teaching. I even agreed with Tiffany (who I think whines too much) when she complained in a previous episode when they just had some kind of exam & they didn't even bother to show them where things were in the kitchen. They seem to be kind of arrogant, & they jump at any chance to write people up. I felt so sorry for Ben when he thought he was being a “dirtbag” for not being with his daughters enough, he seems like a really good guy.