Helen: Still Breathing at the Advanced Age of 37

• Please log in to reply

43 replies to this topic

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 1:44 AM

I could swear that red shell and pink pants raw silk outfit Helen wears a lot I've seen on Cindy McCain during her husbands run with Sarah P.

Thank! God! She! DID ENT! Get. The MEGAphone!
She already frames things volume, delivery wise, and sentence content like she's at a damn pep rally or giving a speech to a crowd from her balcony. And never shuts up.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

You can't be such a manipulative liar who uses people's humanity against them and not expect to pay a price.

Well put! I like the comparison to Survivor's Dawn, also. I hated Dawn for just that reason. I know all is fair in these games but it's one thing to lie about who you're in an alliance with and another thing to cry and pretend real, deep friendship or, Mike Boogie style, pretend to be in love with someone and then laugh at her in the DR. Those things can and should show the world who you are underneath and effect your reputation beyond the game.

She already frames things volume, delivery wise, and sentence content like she's at a damn pep rally or giving a speech to a crowd from her balcony

All part of the amazing fakeness of Helen.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

Question - I saw on the live feeds thread a comment about Helen's in-laws not wanting her to use their name. Anyone know anything more about that? That sounds insane.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, I found the answer. They just didn't want her using it in the house. Still weird, but not as insane as it first seemed.

Edited by Brian C, Aug 6, 2013 @ 6:56 PM.

Stepoff

Stepoff

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 3:01 AM

This was over on reddit and just had to share it over here, too. I read it all in their voices and it just cracked my shit up because it feels like something that really would happen between those three.

ETA: Switched it to a link instead of a full quote for copyright purposes. (Sorry)

Edited by Stepoff, Aug 7, 2013 @ 7:19 PM.

Lucasnyc

Lucasnyc

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 1:52 PM

I found myself getting annoyed at Helen's type-A personality and control of the game, just wrapping everyone around her finger to her eventual win. Then remembered in past seasons it was always the alpha-male controlling the house. So at least now the gender has changed.

one reason i like this show is it's sociological study, and how there are manipulators, and manipulatees who do everything to guarantee they will not win a half million dollars, and award it to a houseguest they liked the least.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

Here's a big difference though. Will and Dan were manipulators...but they let the viewers in on the scheme. Helen thinks the viewers are as stupid as the HGs. That's one of many resins I dislike her.
Mainly because she's a fakeass sycophant with corny shouty speech that drones on way too long. But her thinking She's smarter than all the house guests and viewers combined makes my eyes roll back in my head and get stuck.

torgoman

torgoman

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

Well, smarter than almost all of the houseguests would be a fair assumption.

I would sort of like Helen to win it.  Mainly because it would be the first time a married woman not in her twenties who was also a parent made it to the end without showmancing or the benefit of a former contestant sibling. 

eatingpaste

eatingpaste

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 4:45 PM

Will and Dan were manipulators...but they let the viewers in on the scheme.

It's funny you say this, because I was just coming to this thread to post about how Helen's specific motivations for each move she's made have been really unclear so far. Obviously her big-picture motivation is  to win a half-million dollars playing Big Brother, but I think it's strange that Helen hasn't had any DR sessions shown where she talks about why she's making the moves that she is. I don't think that she would have anything to gain by not letting DR in on her manipulations -- my assumption is just that they're not asking her those questions, or not putting her answers on the CBS show.

For example, does Helen truly like and respect Aaryn, honestly believing that she's the new Janelle, or does she plan to cut her loose at the first opportunity? Once Jessie, Spencer, and GinaMarie are gone, I'll be fascinated to see which direction Helen's loyalties fall, or whether she'll finally be recognized as a master manipulator and become the first to go before the rest of the house has to start cannibalizing itself.

Utica

Utica

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

Helen's fakeness is ugly and manipulative.  All the people who know Helen in real life are seeing her two-faced nature on TV.  I wouldn't ever want her consoling or cheering for me in real life.  I'd be wondering what she selfishly wanted from me.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 8:44 PM

Is Helen on a leave from her job or did she quit?  The reason I was wondering is her saying she's considering running for Mrs America, and then talking about running for office (lol, she's a republican and she lives in Chicago......those odds aren't good.)  I wondered if she had quit her job and this is her mid-life crisis.

Stepoff

Stepoff

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 8:53 PM

I think it would be hilarious if she really did push for office just to see her opponents attack ads against her.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 1:07 AM

In all honesty, I don't think Helen's going to be hurt by Big Brother the way Aaryn, Ginamarie, Amanda, Spencer, etc etc are. She's an awful person who stoked people's prejudices for her own gain, but it's not the kind of awful that's going to lead to major embarrassment. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Aug 14, 2013 @ 10:21 PM.
Off topic

PreTense

PreTense

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

I just watched some of the Jessie vs. Helen videos on YouTube:

Spoiler

To me, Helen's the worst person in the house and that's saying something.  I simply can't stand her.

If this belongs in a different thread please let me know.

Edited by PreTense, Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:17 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 8:35 AM

I think Helen is a terrible player, one of the worst I can remember on this show, because she is obsessed with being in control at all times. This prevents her from taking a risk with moves that would benefit her, because she is too worried about appearing out of control for even a moment. She also has zero sense of perspective. She can't fathom that Andy is not her toady, because she is just that awesome, how he could ever not be hers? She can never listen to what Elissa tells her because doesn't Elissa know she is Helen's scapegoat/pet?

What makes me strongly dislike Helen in a way that goes beyond being a bad player is how nasty she gets. If she has to get rid of a player, she really says ugly things about them that go beyond the game. It comes across like she has to make them seem like violent, abusive monsters who are personally threatening and attacking her. I have a real issue with a 37-year old mother and respected mover and shaker, as she bills herself, using this position to repeatedly put words out that that suggest other players are mentally unstable and violent. I also have a real issue with her frequent need to not only minimize racism in the house, but also to blame the people who were subject to racism. And the more she does this, even around people who are opposed to racism, the more I wonder if this is even strategy, or just some kind of a delusional worldview where nothing can be racist unless she is personally offended, because it's all about her.

This isn't a game about being nice or being a good person. Strategy can involve manipulating under the guise of being "good." Unfortunately, most of Helen's true bile is rarely game and is all personal, psychological attack. As a result, she has done nothing but tarnish the people who wanted to work with her and burnish the people who see her as, at best, an increasingly useless tool. 

Edited by steve91199, Aug 15, 2013 @ 8:35 AM.