6-13: "In Care Of" 2013.06.23

• Please log in to reply

951 replies to this topic

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

Well, don't forget Weiner said "Not every episode can be a Joan episode!"

That's one of my biggest pet peeves from show runners. The audience has a complaint about not seeing enough of a character, or plot points drop, and they respond with "Not every episode can be a ___ episode!" as if that's the point.

And not every viewer can be a mind reader.

SuzN

SuzN

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

Well, don't forget Weiner said "Not every episode can be a Joan episode!"

That's one of my biggest pet peeves from show runners. The audience has a complaint about not seeing enough of a character, or plot points drop, and they respond with "Not every episode can be a ___ episode!" as if that's the point.

Here's the question  - is Weiner such a lameass that he doesn't understand the complaint?  Or is it just a lameass excuse for him getting sidetracked or losing interest in a storyline or character?

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

Probably both.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

Probably both.

Plus a dose of this (which he wouldn't say out loud, but is probably thinking): "There's people that complain, and then there's people that actually create shows and get them on so that the complainers of the world will have something to complain about, and I'm comfortable being in the latter group."

Geeni

Geeni

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

Or is it just a lameass excuse for him getting sidetracked or losing interest in a storyline or character?

Taking this to the Weiner/BTS thread.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

I re-watched this episode a couple of days ago.

If Don was enough of a drunk to already have the DTs in the Hershey meeting, did he have to take a flask with him to Pennslvania? He ca't just go cold turkey.

As much as I so want Megan to just run off to California and be done with the whole Megadon marriage, I don't see it. She walked out of the apartment Wed evening. She most likely came back at some point. Don took the kids to PA and then what? I can't see him taking the whole four day holiday on his own with them and dealing with his alcoholism too. At some point, they probably turned back around to NY and they all had Thanksgiving dinner together.

At least, I am pretty sure that's what we will find out when season 7 opens net year.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

If Don was enough of a drunk to already have the DTs in the Hershey meeting, did he have to take a flask with him to Pennslvania? He ca't just go cold turkey.

I am fairly sure Don was cured of his alcoholism by the power of talking about whores. Little known but fool proof cure for the DTs.

On the one hand, drinking and driving even with kids in the car was very common. On the other, it still sort of negates that moment if he had to get a buzz just to make it through.

Edited by Cherith, Jul 8, 2013 @ 6:37 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

Although I love a good classical allusion as much as the next person, I'm not sure that Chanel no. 5 was meant to evoke any circles of hell in Dante's Inferno. If anything, it was a reference to Marilyn Monroe, who, when asked what she wore to bed, famously quipped, "Chanel no. 5." Meaning of course she slept nude, wearing the sexiest perfume on the market. It's one of her best-known quotes, and would still have been pretty fresh in peoples' minds only 6 years after her death. Peggy's actually being very flirty, and all but inviting people to picture her as a naked Marilyn.

I also don't think the writers were making any classical allusions.  They can't even convey the simple fact that Joan landed Avon, so I'm not about to credit them with callbacks to Dante.

I'd forgotten about Marilyn Monroe's quote, but I agree that Peggy was inviting people, specifically Ted, to picture her nude since that is the only way her comment "It's all I wear" could literally be true.

But for Peggy to say that, someone must ask it and I think Cutler asking "Chanel Number 5" fits in with his character better than anyone else's.

MissStanwyck

MissStanwyck

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Re Cutler, in an earlier ep he asked either Moira or Scarlett if she was wearing Shalimar...So I think it was just a joke about his sense of smell, er, sliminess.

Something sort of interesting about this season...In the premiere, Sandy talks about her mom's death. Then runs away to CA. Then Rogers's mother dies. IIRC, he says how he now no longer has unconditional love.

Then of course we have all that imagery about Don's stepmother...And Silvia as a mother. And she leaves him (Don).

And the season ends with Pete's mother dying. He then goes to CA.

ETA taking this a bit further, we have these three characters--Don, Pete and Roger-finally stepping up to the plate a bit more as fathers. Both Sides Now as well?

And even taking this further, you could say Ted "gives up" his relationship with Peggy (who some have thought was very maternal to him) to be a father to his kids. I don't fully see it that way bc I think Ted is a douche, but it could fit in thematically maybe.

Edited by MissStanwyck, Jul 10, 2013 @ 12:28 PM.

Zolagirl50

Zolagirl50

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

MissStanwyk, that's an interesting observation about all of the mothers dying this season - I guess I didn't realize that until now.  It is fitting that these men couldn't seem to get beyond a certain adolescent/child-like way of acting and way of wanting things as long as those giant mother figures and mommy issues clouded their path.  They almost couldn't be parents themselves because they were stomping their feet at their mothers or looking for some imaginary approval.  But now, with the mothers gone, they are able to step into their own light and start to see themselves, perhaps, as men who need to father their children, instead of boys who still need to be mothered themselves.

myrenae

myrenae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

I think Don could get through Thanksgiving weekend with his kids because he has a history of being a functioning alcoholic.  Yes, he has been increasingly unable to function lately but he has enough practice going through the motions that he can fall back on it if he needs to.  I am not sure he didn't take a flask with him on the trip.   He might have just paced himself?

At any rate, I didn't get the sense he was even drunk in the Hershey meeting.  He just sort of broke.  He came across to me as sober, almost lucid.

Megan enabled him IMO and that encouraged him to fall off the rails.

Anyway, I just now saw the episode and I thought it was great.  Between Don and Ted, I would take Don.  In some ways Peggy is right and Ted is a "better man",  but that better man used her and fell back on his family as an excuse to walk out. He kept saying "I want it but I am too GOOD to have it."  He was weak.  I don't have much respect for him.

I don't have much respect for Don either, but he doesn't pretend to be a Boy Scout.

I LOVED the choice of song at the end.  I would have preferred the Joni Mitchell version, but it was a pretty inspired choice.

it was too bad Don's pitch at the Hershey meeting had to end that way, because before he decided to turn it into a cathartic experience, it was an inspired campaign.  Like we had the old Don Draper back, and then he revealed.....the really old Don Draper?  Or I guess I should say Dick Whitman.

Edited by myrenae, Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:41 PM.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen... Jon Hamm's emmy reel.

Since the Emmys have come and gone, I thought I'd comment.

Too bad Jeff Daniels had what Emmy judges thought was a more inspiring monologue. I don't watch the Newsroom but the people I know who do were as surprised as I was. There's just not much that's Emmy-worthy about the show.

Edited by rogaine2233, Sep 25, 2013 @ 8:42 AM.

Zolagirl50

Zolagirl50

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

I was re-watching this ep the other day, and there is one detail that always irks me, in the middle of an overall exquisite ep.  When Peggy goes on a date- and I do feel like she went on a date - I don't think she was making it up because she came home "late".  But...where did Peggy find a date?  I'm certainly not saying she can't find a date, but I just didn't see her during that time hitting the bars and finding a guy who 'worked in finance'.  I don't know, this is the one thing every time I get tripped up on for no real reason!!

flotsette

flotsette

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Finally just binge-watched the season last weekend; been reading this thread all week. Here's some things I wanted to add.

- I don't think Don actually drank anything before the Hershey's meeting. He raises the glass to his lips, but doesn't seem to drink. Therefore, he still had the hand tremor in the meeting, which we saw.

- Peggy's date was someone else from the firm - from the finance department. It was a real date, but only to make Ted jealous.

- I got the impression that Bob and Manolo are a con team with Bob joining the firm solely to find marks. I think it's quite possible that he was never even actually hired (I recall a scene in an earlier episode where Pete doesn't remember interviewing Bob, although Bob says he did.). A big part of why I think this is because of that short scene in an earlier episode, with Bob yelling in Spanish, on the phone with Manolo. If they weren't in cahoots, why would they even be talking, much less about Pete and Dot, and in that manner? To me, the implication was Manolo felt bad about taking advantage of Dot now that he'd gotten to know her, and Bob felt the opposite, now that he'd gotten to know Pete! And Bob's hotheadedness in that scene shows that he's a fraud, and putting on a "reasonable levelheaded earnest guy" act the rest of the time.

Not to be boards on boards, but the total lack of consensus on the issue of what the deal is here seems to be another product of sloppy writing this season, like the Avon thing.

To bring it back to this episode, it makes me worry for Joan that he was there for Thanksgiving. Not sure he has a specific scam in mind for her, but I think he's just waiting for an opportunity. And in the meantime, he's getting all the inside info on everyone else in the office.

As far as Peggy's rise being realistic, Bob went from being nobody to handling Chevy in one season...

Edited by flotsette, Dec 7, 2013 @ 5:09 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Dec 24, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

"Not great, Bob!" made TWoP's list of 2013's funniest TV moments.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:29 AM

Just found this video of a 2000 tribute to Joni Mitchell.  Toward the end, at about the 1:23:30 mark, Joni comes onstage and sings Both Sides Now as I've never heard it.  Enjoy!

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

Joni wrote the song but the show used the more pop version that Judy Collins sang. I like Joni's version better, but for the show, I think Collins' version was the right choice.

ETA...thank you for this link! I am going to watch it all the way through later today. Some blasts from the past...Fairport Convention? I am usually the only one among my friends who has ever heard of them!

Edited by rogaine2233, Apr 6, 2014 @ 11:34 AM.

caitmcg

caitmcg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

Joni wrote the song but the show used the more pop version that Judy Collins sang. I like Joni's version better, but for the show, I think Collins' version was the right choice.

I agree that the Judy Collins version is better suited to the episode, but it was also pointed out in the "Music of Mad Men" thread that Collin's recording was released in 1967, but Joni Mitchell's own recording didn't come out till 1969, after this episode takes place.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 9:55 AM

ETA...thank you for this link!

You're welcome.  I saw Shawn Colvin perform on Saturday evening, then went looking for some videos of her on youtube.  Was delighted when I came across her duets with Mary Chapin Carpenter for the Mitchell tribute -- as well as all the rest of the performances!

Birdhee

Birdhee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 2:32 AM

I agree that the Judy Collins version is better suited to the episode, but it was also pointed out in the "Music of Mad Men" thread that Collin's recording was released in 1967, but Joni Mitchell's own recording didn't come out till 1969, after this episode takes place.

That wouldn't be a stumbling block. This was not music the characters were playing, like "Tomorrow Never Knows" in S5. They used Dylan's "Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)" to play out an S1 episode, and that Dylan album was three years away from release. There are other examples.  

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

They used Dylan's "Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)" to play out an S1 episode, and that Dylan album was three years away from release.

They also used The Decembrists' The Infanta  (2005) over the opening montage of Maidenform!  :-)  But I agree that the Collins version of Both Sides Now was appropriate for closing In Care Of -- it was all over the airwaves in 1967, and the tinkling sounds of its introduction immediately invoke a nostalgic, wistful feeling.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 6:38 PM

They used Dylan's "Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)" to play out an S1 episode, and that Dylan album was three years away from release. There are other examples.

I want to say that I remember Weiner saying something like they weren't sure if the show was coming back after the first season, so that was why he had chosen Dylan, as a possible series ender.  However, normally he would not have used it because it was wrong for the time period.  I thought the Judy Collins version was very appropriate for this episode, it's so wistful and she has such a beautiful voice.   

Edited by txhorns79, Apr 13, 2014 @ 6:39 PM.