The White Queen

• Please log in to reply

221 replies to this topic

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

I have no idea if this show will be any good, but since I love English history and period dramas, I'm a bit of a sucker for this.  I believe there's a trailer/promo out, but I haven't seen it yet.

The premise:

The White Queen is a riveting portrayal of one of the most dramatic and turbulent times in English history. A story of love and lust, seduction and deception, betrayal and murder, it is uniquely told through the perspective of three different, yet equally relentless women - Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville. In their quest for power, they will scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne. 

The year is 1464, before the Tudor dynasty ruled the country, and war has been ravaging throughout England over who is the rightful King. It is a bitter dispute between two sides of the same family, The House of York and The House of Lancaster.

The House of York's young and handsome Edward IV is crowned King of England with the help of the master manipulator, Lord Warwick "The Kingmaker." But when Edward falls in love with a beautiful Lancastrian commoner, Elizabeth Woodville, Warwick's plan to control the throne comes crashing down.

A violent, high-stakes struggle ensues between Elizabeth, her most fierce adversary, Lancastrian Margaret Beaufort, and Anne Neville, the pawn in her father's power game - each woman vying for the crown.

Premieres August 10 at 9PM EST on Starz.

Edited by politikgirl, Jun 10, 2013 @ 6:59 PM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

I've read 3 of "The Cousin's War" books (why oh why did Philippa Gregory feel the need to rename the perfectly named "Wars of the Roses?" and I studied this era at Uni so I'm cautiously looking forward to this, though I don't expect it to be much more historically accurate than The Tudors was. It looks like they will be incorporating "The Red Queen" and "The Lady of the Rivers" into TWQ title. It *should* be a female centric look at this period in history when most claims to the throne involved powerful matriarchs one way or another.  Despite being the "winning" grandmother I think Margaret Beaufort will be the trickiest character to play sympathetically.

MichelleAK

MichelleAK

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

I'm really looking forward to this.  I haven't read the Philippa Gregory books (I really don't care for her), but I recently finished Blood Sisters, which is a non-fiction history of the women involved in the Wars of the Roses, by Sarah Gristwood.  Her history also includes Marguerite of Anjou and Cecily Neville.  I'm hoping they do a good job with the series.

As for the "Cousins' War" usage, according to Gristwood, that apparently was what these ongoing conflicts were called by contemporaries, and "Wars of the Roses" came later.

Edited by MichelleAK, Jun 10, 2013 @ 7:04 PM.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

I just watched a few of the trailers and promos online and while I can't say that the show looks like it's going to be a "Game of Thrones"-esque quality show, it may be at the level of "The Tudors" (which I did enjoy even though it wasn't going to win any awards) and will definitely be better than that terrible new Mary Queen of Scots as a teenager show on the CW this fall.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 1:36 AM

I like Richard III, so I'll be rooting against Elizabeth Woodville throughout this whole show.  :)

Edited by corvus13, Jun 11, 2013 @ 1:36 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

I saw the first promo for this the night of the Spartacus series finale back in April and have been eagerly looking forward to it ever since.  This is one of the shows that makes me think Starz is serious about  becoming a legitimate, premium cable channel

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

I like Richard III, so I'll be rooting against Elizabeth Woodville throughout this whole show.  :)

Me too! Well I will when it hits DVD since I don't get Starz, but I'm on Richard's side.

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

I red the The Red Queen and The White Queen books, book club, and was pleasantly surprised since I'd never read Gregory before. I will definitely catch up on Netfllix.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 4:26 PM

I will definitely be checking this one out.  I've been intrigued since the first teaser trailers and the newest, longer trailer has only solidified that feeling.  I just saw two of the books (Red Queen and White Queen) at the bookstore yesterday and was sorely tempted to grab them both.

Libby96

Libby96

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

I've read all of Gregory's "Cousins' War" books thus far, and I love them. Maybe they aren't 100% accurate, but they are entertaining and have lead me to delve into other works, both fiction and non-fiction, that center on this time period. I've learned a growth deal. I'm looking forward to this TV series. By the way, Gregory's new book,"The White Princess", about Elizabeth of York, is coming out next month.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 10:06 PM

I've read all of Gregory's "Cousins' War" books thus far, and I love them. Maybe they aren't 100% accurate, but they are entertaining and have lead me to delve into other works, both fiction and non-fiction, that center on this time period. I've learned a growth deal. I'm looking forward to this TV series. By the way, Gregory's new book,"The White Princess", about Elizabeth of York, is coming out next month.

I am looking forward as well. Max Irons as Edward VI is steamy.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 2:15 AM

I just looked at a trailer on YouTube and I'm confused. Is this being broadcast by Starz and the BBC, or are these two separate series? All I can find is BBC promos.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Is this being broadcast by Starz and the BBC

Yes. Starz has the US rights and will air it in August; the beeb is airing it this month.

Arco

Arco

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

This sounds interesting.

Richard III fans--was it Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time that got you interested? I read the book & recommended it to a friend. She got other people in our office interested, & they read it too. Then when we went to England together, we had to visit several Richard III sites including York, Sheriff Hutton Castle (I think that was the one in ruins where the cows were grazing), Pontefract Castle, & the Towton battlefield (a farmer's field). I wonder if you could make a movie out of the book? I don't think that's ever been done.

Edited by Arco, Jun 12, 2013 @ 4:23 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Richard III fans--was it Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time that got you interested?

Yes, most definitely.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

Richard III fans--was it Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time that got you interested?

That's what got me started.  I think it would be hard to do a movie of The Daughter of Time. It's very cerebral and has pretty much no action that would translate to the screen. But I love that book.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:56 AM

One of my favourite novels is The Sunne In Splendour by Sharon Penman, so suffice to say, I’m not anticipating this adaptation to be something I’ll enjoy at all. I’m not really eager to see Elizabeth Woodville being portrayed as some sort of heroic character, or for Richard to be portrayed as a villain to allow her to be that heroic character.

So while I am a huge history buff, and an even huger Medieval history buff, I'm not sure I'll watch this at all. You wait for years for the BBC to explore the period, and stop messing about in the Victorian and Georgian eras, and this is what they come up with? Disappointing, really.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

Between "The Daughter of Time" and  "The  Sunne in Splendor" I became a HUGE RII geek.

I HIGHLY recommend the book by Bert Fields "Royal Blood".  It gives a wonderful perspective in Richard and those around him.  He analyzes who else could have benefitted from the boys' death. 

He also, at the very end of the book does a fascinating "What if Richard had survived?" anayzis of just how different th wolrd would be today.  Honestly, I couldn't put it down.

This book might be out of print, so possibly it's available on Amazon.

Edited by Patsy Stoned, Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:28 AM.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

I love Phillipa Gregory, and I devoured The Cousins War series last year.  Since they are adapting 3 books into one series, I hope they will keep the 3 points of view.  In The White Queen, Elizabeth Woodville  and her family are completely sympathetic and Richard III is evil, but in The Kingmaker's Daughter, Anne Neville marries Richard and the opposite is true from her pov.  Of the three women, Margaret Beaufort is the most difficult to sympathize with.  I am cautiously optimistic.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

For any Canadians who are interested in the show: Super Channel signed a licensing agreement with Starz to bring some of its shows over the border including The White Queen.  I couldn't find an air date other than "later this year" and it isn't yet listed on the site.  Super Channel isn't great about running shows day/time with the US though so I won't be holding my breath for August 10th. 

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 7:38 PM

and will definitely be better than that terrible new Mary Queen of Scots as a teenager show on the CW this fall.

This is an actual thing? Dear God. I'm sure the CW will take all kinds of liberties with her story in order to have it come off like a Twilight-esque version of the Tudors in order to appeal to their demographic. A demographic that probably hasn't stayed awake in history class long enough to have any idea of who the hell Mary Queen of Scots is the first place.

I, too, saw the trailer for this show during the end of Spartacus. I'm excited for this along with that pirate show that's about a year away. Hopefully they are both good. 

Edited by Turkish, Jun 14, 2013 @ 7:39 PM.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

This is an actual thing? Dear God. I'm sure the CW will take all kinds of liberties with her story in order to have it come off like a Twilight-esque version of the Tudors in order to appeal to their demographic. A demographic that probably hasn't stayed awake in history class long enough to have any idea of who the hell Mary Queen of Scots is the first place.

Unfortunately, it's very much an actual thing.  The show is called "Reign".  It looks like Gossip Girl set in the Tudor/Stuart era.

I watched the pilot episode of "The White Queen" today.  Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

Edited by politikgirl, Jun 17, 2013 @ 5:45 AM.

beakermuppet

beakermuppet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 12:36 AM

I loved James Frain's Earl of Warwick, moaning and bitching in the background.

Spoiler

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 5:21 AM

Spoiler

Having read the pilot script it's going to be every bit a trainwreck as you might expect. I can't wait!

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:27 PM

I loved James Frain's Earl of Warwick, moaning and bitching in the background.

Aha!  Franklin, formerly of True Blood.  I knew he looked familiar. 

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

Also Cromwell in The Tudors.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Saw the first episode. It was ok. Nothing to write home about, but diverting enough. I wasn't all that interested in the central romance, but the interactions between the women were  interesting enough so if there's more focus on that I might stay interested.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

Where are you finding the first episode?

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

The first episode was shown on the BBC on Sunday. You can also probably find it online.

trojanchick99

trojanchick99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

The supporting cast makes this show. James Frain especially, was fantastic. The romance is going to be my least favorite aspect, I'm in it for the intrigue.