Siberia

• Please log in to reply

743 replies to this topic

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 12:57 AM

Per NBC:

The series will premiere Monday, July 1 at 10 p.m. ET. In 1908, a meteor hit deep into the remote Siberian territory of Tunguska. Now, more than 100 years later, 16 contestants descend on Tunguska unknowing of the land's mysterious past. When a contestant is badly injured and no help arrives, the contestants are met with the chilling realization that the strange occurrences are not part of the show. With their safety threatened, competing contestants must band together in an effort to survive.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Please tell me that wasn't NBC's entire press release.  They left out so much crucial information.  Who's in the show? Contestants for what?  What sort of strange occurrences?  It's like they wanted to be mysterious and "leave us wanting more" but all they did was issue a half-assed, confusing press release and IMO that doesn't bode well for the quality of Serbia.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

It sounds like a more fictionalized Survivor-esque experience gone wrong. I liked the snippets on the ads I've seen.

Coming to this thread to see what's been said, so the Tunguska angle intrigues me as an old X-Files fan.

It also seems like it's borrowing elements from Harper's Island- mysterious doings, those left banding together until help comes.

I'm planning on checking out the premiere.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

This looks interesting based on the promos. I'll be checking out the premiere.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:18 PM

Per NBC:

. . . In 1908, a meteor hit deep into the remote Siberian territory of Tunguska. Now, more than 100 years later, 16 contestants descend on Tunguska unknowing of the land's mysterious past. When a contestant is badly injured and no help arrives, the contestants are met with the chilling realization that the strange occurrences are not part of the show . . .  

This sounds more scifi-ish than Lost. Just curious, Strega, why did you decide it should be in the Drama board?

Anyway, sounds worth checking out. Thanks for the heads up.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 4:18 PM

Comcast has the first episode up On Demand. It's fairly interesting and I'll give it a chance. At this point, it's simple fictionalized Survivor-esque faux-reality. Don't recognize any of the actors/"contestants" from anything else. Some of them are very shifty and things do begin to go very wrong. (Trying not to spoil here.) Shot with similar camera angles and style as Survivor to make it seem more realistic. Semi-

Spoiler

Edited by MsLark, Jun 25, 2013 @ 4:18 PM.

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

Caught the On Demand preview, it could be my new Harper's Island, with some supernatural weirdness thrown in, count me in.

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

I loved Harper's Island and this seems in the same vein, so I'll be checking out the premiere. I haven't seen any promos for it yet on NBC, though, which kind of surprises me (I've been hit over the head with constant Under the Dome promos on CBS, so I could be missing them).

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 2:08 AM

Also caught the first episode On Demand.  I'll probably check out the next few episodes, although it will be staying On Demand viewing (putting this against Under the Dome is just not a good idea, IMO.)  Don't want to get too much into it yet, but they do a good job with the "reality show" feel.  Totally reminded me of when I use to watch Survivor.  The look, the interactions, and the "contestants" fit in perfectly

Spoiler

Don't recognize any of the actors/"contestants" from anything else.

Went on IMDB, and it does seem like most of them are really newcomers.  Some do have extensive work, but it's either in independent stuff, or stuff in other countries.  I'll give the casting people credit on that, because any attempt that immersion would go out the window, if I spent the whole time going "Hey, it's that guy/gal!"

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

I tried to watch this, but had to give up after 20 minutes. The reality tv style turned me off so I won't be watching any more episodes.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 8:03 AM

I also caught the episode, if someone didn't see the promos they will think this is another survivor type reality, since none of the actors are recognizable and they do the reality format very well. They are in for a surprise.

ROFL you should keep watching

Spoiler

Edited by DrLar, Jun 27, 2013 @ 8:04 AM.

Authorized User

Authorized User

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

Judging from the American helicopter with a covered registration number, very anglo-typical clapboard cabins and a Canadian padlock they're clearly not in Siberia. Presumably this is just poor attention to detail but maybe I am underestimating the show and they're actually deliberate mistakes meant to tell us that the contestants are being fooled.

Arco

Arco

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 8:50 AM

My knowledge of Siberia is admittedly limited, but I thought that it must be pretty cold there most of the year so the contestants are probably not adequately clothed for the climate. I also wondered about the refreshing water, which I figured must be downright frigid. Nobody seems to be shivering as they wade through the water, however. And the first food tip that the contestants get is about mushrooms that, I think, have barely any nutritional value. What about a source of protein? I'd certainly take the $5,000 & get out of there, but I guess that's not an option based on the previews.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

I think it's summer and they must last through the winter, I bet they brought plenty of winter clothes

Spoiler

Edited by DrLar, Jun 27, 2013 @ 9:07 AM.

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

I was a bit disappointed, actually. Mostly my fault. I expected a drama couched as a reality show and it came across more as a heavily scripted reality show with some gore at the end. This essentially comes down to the cinematography and editing. I thought we'd be looking at things from the character's POV with no acknowledgement of cameras (or moreso that we'd see the cameras from their perspective only), instead we have it shot 100% like an episode of Survivor, with characters talking at the cameras and a host that intrudes regularly.

I dunno if I will give it another episode or not. I was pretty bored.

Edited by Misty77, Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:44 PM.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

The premise is that something fell on that area in 1908, a comet or meteorite (hence they had to remake the cabins), anyone else thinking aliens?

Spoiler

JuliJBG

JuliJBG

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 7:12 PM

if someone didn't see the promos they will think this is another survivor type reality, since none of the actors are recognizable and they do the reality format very well. They are in for a surprise.

This!

First, please know that I am a total sucker for reality shows--even really dumb ones.

That said, I stumbled across this OnDemand, having not seen a trailer and having NO idea that it was scripted. Damn! Without knowing, it seemed pretty heavy handed as a reality show, but I totally bought it until the end when I raced online to see what the hell was going on.  

Not sure if I want to see more or not. It was well done, but the gore at the end could have been handled differently. I think I would be more apt to really want to see more if there was more thriller-suspense and not just blood-and-death right in the first episode...

LyneaG

LyneaG

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

Judging from the American helicopter with a covered registration number, very anglo-typical clapboard cabins and a Canadian padlock they're clearly not in Siberia. Presumably this is just poor attention to detail but maybe I am underestimating the show and they're actually deliberate mistakes meant to tell us that the contestants are being fooled.

I didn't even notice those things - and I was looking for them after reading the original post - and I just think production assumed no one would catch it.  Personally, I wouldn't read anything into it.

Overall, I have to say that I kind of loved it.  This show is 100% and perfect combination of all my favorite things...reality tv is my guiltiest pleasure, especially Survivor which is clearly an inspiration for the camera-work; I love mystery and spooky things and there is the potential for a touch of sci-fi...as long as they keep like this, I will be one happy little puppy.

One thing I liked is that the reality show format allowed them to get some background and exposition stuff out of the way easily, so we didn't have to have a ton of convoluted and heavy-handed dialog to get certain facts out.

This could be a fun little summer tv vacation, I'm looking forward to it.

Authorized User

Authorized User

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 3:00 AM

I didn't even notice those things - and I was looking for them after reading the original post - and I just think production assumed no one would catch it.  Personally, I wouldn't read anything into it.

I only really noticed them because there was such a complete lack of any visual cues that they are in Russia. There was nothing shown that looked Russian and plenty of things that looked American. But you are correct that it's probably just lazy production rather than deliberate hints.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 3:40 AM

The thing what I loved most is that the special mushrooms which look just like a poisonous mushroom when they brought them back to camp were clearly baby portobellos that had been painted, complete with the red dye on the shirt they were contained in. Also, that they spent so. Much time looking for mushrooms and not seeing if the river had fish!

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 9:16 AM

I don't think I could make it on mushrooms alone, I'll be hunting for other food right away.

Awptc

Awptc

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

I sort of loved this in a really need something to watch this summer kind of way.  But, I'm already wondering if I'm going to get tired of it before long.  Obviously they can't survive the winter in just the clothes they have on and they are quickly going to starve if they aren't provided with food, so I'm interested in how the show is going to handle that.  For some reason, I really want to know how Sabina (sp?) got to the cabins so quickly and why that's important.  Even if she's a plant, why wouldn't she stay with the others?  I'm really hoping there is some decent writing that will tie everything together, but like others, I'm afraid that it my be inattention to detail.

atomationage

atomationage

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

It's being described as Blair Witch meets Survivor.  The cast is mostly unknown to me, as they would be on a Survivor episode.  I watched the first one.  It was interesting enough.  I don't know if I'll watch more than one more. 

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

I only really noticed them because there was such a complete lack of any visual cues that they are in Russia. There was nothing shown that looked Russian and plenty of things that looked American. But you are correct that it's probably just lazy production rather than deliberate hints.

So, is this reality TV or unscripted drama or what.  I did get a very strong Canadian vibe.  I've never been to Siberia, but I have been to the Canadian north.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

This was filmed in Manitoba.

nydude

nydude

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

Please feed Probst to the Smoke Monster =)

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 11:06 PM

I also caught the episode, if someone didn't see the promos they will think this is another survivor type reality, since none of the actors are recognizable and they do the reality format very well. They are in for a surprise.

Guilty.

I bought it until the cameraman came staggering in.  I was a bit suspicious with the weird animal sound and then the frog.

But.....when the one guy died and was hauled off, I thought, "Well, another bed just opened up!"

I know.  I'm stupid.

Edited by slasherboy, Jul 1, 2013 @ 11:13 PM.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

This was filmed in Manitoba.

I knew I recognized Canada.  It doesn't even look like they went very far north to film.

hjmugillecuty

hjmugillecuty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

Which one died? The environmental activist who wandered too far?

I hadn't seen any previews so thought it was a reality show until the cameraman showed up with the bloody head. That's also when I switched over to Enchanted during the commercial and got distracted. I thought it was a pretty decent premise for a reality show but when the frog showed up I began to get suspicious. I might keep watching, if they cut back on the blood.

AwesomO4000

AwesomO4000

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

The premise is that something fell on that area in 1908, a comet or meteorite (hence they had to remake the cabins), anyone else thinking aliens?

I was a bit suspicious with the weird animal sound and then the frog.

I'm guessing radiation-mutated creatures (or even people) of some sort? Maybe they'll go all cheesy, mutant bear Prophecy (the 1979 B movie) on us. Eww and I'd be a little intrigued.

I thought we'd be looking at things from the character's POV with no acknowledgement of cameras (or moreso that we'd see the cameras from their perspective only),

I think I'm okay with it not being that way. With this many people - as would be expected for a "reality" show - POV camera angles could get confusing. Also, depending on how the POVs are done, that type of filming sometimes leaves me queasy anyway. Blair Witch for example made me nauseous with all the camera jumping around angles when I saw it.

I missed the very beginning so may have missed some details, but...

I'll just tell myself that it's an American or Canadian show, and they got permission to drop things off with American helicopters and that they built the cabins there for the contestants and so used their style and supplies. I could imagine the Russians saying "You guys want to do a reality show where? O-ookay as long as we don't get held responsible, go ahead..." then under their breath... "Stupid Americans." All the while knowing full well something very wrong, creepy and/or to be avoided is going on there.

I haven't watched Survivor in many years, but from what I remember, I thought this first episode reproduced the reality vibe pretty well.