Devious Maids

• Please log in to reply

367 replies to this topic

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 11:06 PM

I searched both the Drama and Sitcom sections for a topic on this and found none. Here's the synopsis for the show from Lifetime:

Lifetime will premiere its highly-anticipated new drama "Devious Maids," executive produced by Marc Cherry ("Desperate Housewives") and Eva Longoria ("Desperate Housewives"), on Sunday, June 23, at 10PM ET/PT. The ensemble all-star cast, Ana Ortiz ("Ugly Betty"), Dania Ramirez ("Entourage"), Roselyn Sánchez ("Without a Trace"), Edy Ganem ("Livin’ Loud") and Judy Reyes ("Scrubs"), portray five maids with ambition and dreams of their own while working for the rich and famous in Beverly Hills.

In "Devious Maids," murder and mayhem collide in the mansions of Beverly Hills’ wealthiest and most powerful families. Class warfare has never been as fun and dirty as it is in the tony enclave where the staff is as clever, witty, outrageous and downright devilish as their employers. Whoever holds the dirt holds the power, and before the season is over, illicit affairs will be revealed and deep dark secrets exposed as we learn the sordid details behind a shocking murder of a beloved housemaid.

The series centers on a close-knit group of maids who are bonded together by their jobs, life struggles and the melodramatic "upstairs-downstairs" universe that engulfs their employers. Rosie (Ramirez), a widow who left her son back in Mexico when her husband died, works as the maid and nanny for a pair of self-absorbed and successful actors, Peri and Spence Westmore (Mariana Klaveno, "True Blood," and Grant Show, "Swing Town"). Aspiring singer Carmen (Sánchez), hopes that her pop star employer Alejandro (Matt Cedeño, "Days of Our Lives") can help jump-start her career, but Odessa (Melinda Paige Hamilton, "Mad Men"), his very loyal housekeeper and her boss, will stop at nothing to stand in her way. Zoila (Reyes) is the senior maid for Genevieve Delatour (Susan Lucci, "All My Children"), a codependent, emotionally unstable wealthy woman. She works alongside her teen daughter Valentina (Ganem), who has a crush on Genevieve's handsome son, Remi (Drew Van Acker, "Pretty Little Liars").

In the series premiere, the women turn to one another for support when their friend and fellow maid Flora (Paula Garces, "CSI Miami") is brutally murdered at the home of her employers, Evelyn and Adrian Powell (Rebecca Wisocky, "American Horror Story," and Tom Irwin, "Grey’s Anatomy"), at one of the largest society events of the year. Meanwhile, newcomer Marisol (Ortiz) is hired to clean the home of Taylor and Michael Stappord (Brianna Brown, "Homeland," and Brett Cullen, "Damages"), a newlywed couple with a complicated love history. But Marisol has ulterior motives and when someone she loves becomes wrapped up in Flora’s murder, she goes undercover to learn the truth.

Inspired by the hit telenovela, "Ellas son...la Alegría del Hogar," "Devious Maids" is produced by ABC Studios. The series was created by Marc Cherry ("Desperate Housewives") and is executive produced by Cherry, Sabrina Wind ("Desperate Housewives"), Eva Longoria ("Desperate Housewives"), Paul McGuigan ("Scandal"), Larry Shuman ("Kissing Miranda"), David Lonner, John Mass and Televisa USA’s Paul Presburger and Michael Garcia.

The show has also had a bit of controversy from some individuals of Hispanics who believe the show perpetuates stereotypes about Latinas. Here's a link to an article about the controversy if anyone's interested.  

http://ohnotheydidnt...7.html#comments

I thought it was an interesting read with some valid points.

I caught the pilot episode on Hulu and it's certainly appealing if you're looking for that mindless, soapy, fun summer show. The telenovela elements were also obvious and it had its funny moments. But again, I definitely understand some of the criticisms the article above was referring to.

As for the characters, I figured immediately that Marisol was either an undercover cop or the dead girl's mother or sister. Did not expect her to be the accused guy's mother. Zoila is cool and her eye-rolling at her boss is funny. Carmen is obnoxious but I assume we're supposed to view her that way and Rosie is sweet. The issue with the stereotypes and all especially bothered me with Zoila's daughter.

It's one thing to crush on the rich boss' son and her mother's feelings are understandable but I don't understand why she's going about getting him the way she is. The guy's really not going to be serious about her when she's basically coming across as ready and willing to do him at any second. Has she even had a real conversation with him? I'm assuming they're eventually leading to her receiving a wake-up call or at least I hope so, because the OTT sex kitten approach she's using isn't really making her look too good (of course I recognize this might have to do with the Telenovela aspects). Speaking of stereotypes, the rich bosses were all perfectly heinous and despicable. 

Edited by dancingonmyown, Jun 10, 2013 @ 11:46 AM.

Cyrotoxicity

Cyrotoxicity

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 3:39 AM

I really liked it for some reason, even more than Desperate Housewives.

It's campy, over the top fun with lots of humor, drama and a mystery element.

I also thought Marisol was a relative/sister or something. Not sure what to think of her being the mother of the guy, who was really creepy in that last closing scene. 

I can't believe ABC rejected this, and accepted Mistresses.

Edited by Cyrotoxicity, Jun 10, 2013 @ 3:43 AM.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

I also liked the pilot and feel slightly weird about that, mainly because I agree with the article linked above. From the article:

It is not wrong to be a maid, or even a Latina maid, but there is something very wrong with an American entertainment industry that continually tells Latinas that this is all they are or can ever be.

I read Tanisha Ramirez's Huffington Post article a few weeks ago and also agreed with much of what she had to say. Her four points to Eva Longoria were spot on: 

3. Aren't Latina teachers', doctors', CEOs' and entrepreneurs' stories worth telling, as well? Devious Maids marks the first time in American media history that a mainstream series features five Latina main characters -- a perfect opportunity to portray diverse characters, who in turn, have diverse careers.

4. Haven't maids' stories been told before? Hello, Maid in Manhattan, The Help, and every telenovela ever produced.

I refused to read The Help and I refused to see the movie. I have an older friend from Alabama who said one would never believe a black person in Alabama could be anything other than a maid after watching The Help. Not one female member of his family was a maid in 1950s/60s Alabama, but their stories weren't told. (Unfortunately, people of color who try to sell mainstream stories about people of color get shot down. I've been there for over 10 years.)

I feel so strongly about this that I probably won't watch Devious Maids, despite enjoying the pilot. I'm familiar with three of the actresses from Scrubs, Ugly Betty and As the World Turns/Without a Trace. I like them all and would love to see them on TV again, but I'm not sure why all the maids have to be Latina. I could probably stomach this if they were different nationalities.

I also thought the white employers' came off really poorly and stereotypically, as well.

The portrayal of Zoila's daughter was the most problematic in my opinion.

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:45 PM

I refused to read The Help and I refused to see the movie. I have an older friend from Alabama who said one would never believe a black person in Alabama could be anything other than a maid after watching The Help. Not one female member of his family was a maid in 1950s/60s Alabama, but their stories weren't told. (Unfortunately, people of color who try to sell mainstream stories about people of color get shot down. I've been there for over 10 years.)

In fairness about The Help, it was a story about a specific time and place in U.S. history in terms of African American women. And while I'm sure all weren't maids, the ugliness and hate and demeaning way the women were treated in the book/film was a very real part of the segregated South before the Civil Rights Movement. 

It would have been far more problematic if the book was written in present time and depicted African American women in Alabama as only maids. I'm sure many people would go, "wtf" and that I think is the issue some critics have with Devious Maids. It's that they feel that it perpetuates the idea that even now, in 2013, Latina women are all just sassy maids working for evil, horrible white people. 

Recollected

Recollected

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

I love what I have seen of the series so far. There were some parts that I did feel where a bit cheesy, in a sense, and could see why ABC passed but Lifetime is a good home for it.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

I'm sorry, I have to hope that this show crashes and burns so that Susan Lucci can go back to All My Children.  :)

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

Add me to the offended list, shame on Eva Longoria. I don't watch telenovelas but I am sure there are hundreds of others to choose from that are not so ridiculously stereotypical, uggghhh.

patternmaster

patternmaster

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

Agreed!

And while I'm sure all weren't maids, the ugliness and hate and demeaning way the women were treated in the book/film was a very real part of the segregated South before the Civil Rights Movement. 

So why not tell the story through an educated African American woman view point why black maids they all got treated that way. Cause like Slade2 said that story would never be green lit.

I watched and the show does have potential. I like Marisol's character as undercover and Carmen's as an aspiring singer but the other ladies stories are absolutely stereotypical. Why couldn't Zoila's daughter Valentina be a college mate of the bosses' son and he be in love with her, why is she running a round after him like a freaking tramp. That whole maid uniform scene was ridiculous. Zoila and Valentian  working as a maids to pay college tuition would be believable. This could even be Zoila's second job and they could give her a day time office job. One of my sisters co-workers did this very thing and put all three of her daughters through college.

Rosie's story is just ridiculous and her boss was a joke, it would have been more interesting if her boss was actually assisting to get her son. Why can't at least one of the families be decent people?

That all being said I did enjoy the show mostly because of the main actresses. I'll watch but if they don't clear up the there storylines that I'm having a problem with I'll move on.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

I thought I'd hate it because it's pretty contrived but the actresses performances are appealing. And I love soapy goodness.

I'm giving this one a shot.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

I liked it.  I love Ana Ortiz.  Will keep it on my DVR pass.

All of the stories work for me but the wannabe singer is maybe the weakest.  Is that really the only way an aspiring singer can get a famous singer's attention?  Wouldn't it be smarter to try to meet him socially or in a club?

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

Really liked it.   It is light and fun (even with the murder mystery). The background music made me have DH flashbacks.  Putting it in the DVR.

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

The major thing this show has going for it versus Mistresses is that all the women can actually act. I'd say the daughter is probably the weakest but I don't think she's as much of a lead as the others so it's fine. 

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 3:05 AM

I enjoyed it. I watched Desperate Housewives from beginning to end, and I could see Cherry's influence. I just miss soaps, and this fills the requirement for me. I didn't realize who the guy at the end was unitl I read it above. Another DH flashback was Valerie Mahaffey. She played a crazy ex wife on DH too. Wikipedia says Richard Burgi who played Karl on DH is supposed to be on there. I hope so. Karl was scum but so handsome.

ItsJustATVShow

ItsJustATVShow

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 3:59 AM

Enjoy the numerous stereotypes watchers! What a joke of a show. I'd rather watch some Paula Deen.

Oh, and I will never watch Paula Deen.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 7:52 AM

Give me a break about "stereotypes". It's a show that's employing 5 Latina leads. It's told from their POV. When we have other producers who are willing to give Ana Ortiz the top-billing she deserves than we can talk about "stereotypes".

I am so fucking sick of shows with minority leads being attacked just because the folks don't like how the minorities are portrayed. Nearly every show on network & cable outside of BET has white leads. And people are going to make snide comments about this show? There's nothing offensive about the five women at all. The women are strong, aspirational and doing the best they can in a racist society that tries to make them invisible.

Edited by insanityproject, Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:05 AM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

Interesting take on Devious Maids.  http://www.racialici...yond-hollywood/

I am so fucking sick of shows with minority leads being attacked just because the folks don't like how the minorities are portrayed

It's a lot more than just that, it's about Hollywood wanting to show minorities one way and one way only.

Edited by EndoKE, Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:24 AM.

snakenax

snakenax

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

Eh, I find it refreshing to see a show with working class leads, especially female working class leads(when was the last time we got that, Grace Under Fire?). But then I find the classism of 'people only matter and are worthwhile if they're not those dirty filthy lower class people' to be really gross and problematic. Just fuck the idea that the only people worth having stories told about them or thought of meaningful are 'educated' self important twits.

Edited by snakenax, Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:41 AM.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

I don't find the program stereotypical.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

I haven't watched the show yet in order to form an opinion on how stereotypical it is yet. When I first heard about it I groaned at the premise of all these Latina's playing maids. That said, it's a show centered around five Latina who are legitimately the stars of the program so I can't be too mad about that. More people of color in major roles on tv is never a bad thing.They also assembled some of my favorites for these roles. I have been waiting entirely too long for Roselyn Sanchez's fine ass to return to television. 

PetuniaP

PetuniaP

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

I really enjoyed the show. I liked the campy aspects and I found each character interesting...some more than others. I'm not that worried about the stereotypes...seems like the show acknowledges them to a certain degree...for example when Ana Ortiz's character applies for the maid role, the wife noted her lack of an accent and the fact that she appeared educated...almost disbelieving that she would want or be in need of a job as a maid. The job mostly seems to exist as a plot device to set up adversarial relationships on the show and create proximity between it's characters...much like Desperate Housewives used the cul-de-sac.

Looking forward to seeing how the various plot lines develop!

TomGirl

TomGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

I liked the pilot and will continue to watch. I agree that the characters, both maids and employees, are all broadly painted caricatures at this point, but I suspect that will change over time and suspect that growth is supposed to be one of the main themes of the series.

Also, knowing what Eva Longoria has done for the Latino community, both in her education and political activism, I can not believe she would be producing a show that fosters a negative stereotype of Latinas. Probably just the opposite.

Edited by TomGirl, Jun 24, 2013 @ 1:26 PM.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 5:28 PM

I liked this way more than I thought I would. Perfect soapy summer show,

The only one I did not like was Roselyn Sanchez's character trying to get the hot, latin singer to get noticed so she can become a recording star. She was too obvious, not subtle enough. Both her and Matt Cedeno are gorgeous - would have liked a different storyline with them.

Glad to see Ana Ortiz again. I really liked her in Ugly Betty and and happy to see her working again.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

I watched it tonight and enjoyed it. Particularly nice to see Ana Ortiz again - who I had really liked on Ugly Betty. I also liked seeing so many recognizable faces: Tom Irwin, Valerie Mahaffey, Brett Cullen and, of course, Susan Lucci. I'm not Latino but I didn't find anything stereotypical; I was actually pleased to see so many Latino ladies in leading roles.

Good, mindless fun.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

I liked it pretty well--but I'm hoping we will see Latinas portrayed as something more than "just maids" AND that not ALL the bosses will be stereoptypically bitchy white women. One of their bosses' should have been a gay man, a la Jeff and Zoila from Bravo!  All in all though, it's great to see five Latina women as leads, and I liked them all except Carmen--not really into her story of wanting to be a pop star.

My MAJOR complaint--not enough Lucci!!! They really should be promoting her more as being in the show...she's the only household name in the cast.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

My MAJOR complaint--not enough Lucci!!! They really should be promoting her more as being in the show...she's the only household name in the cast.

Not true.  Judy Reyes is from Scrubs.  Eva Longoria from desperate Houswives.  And unless you watch soaps Susan Lucci just isn't that famous.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Judy Reyes is a nice lady, but if you didn't watch Scrubs, you don't know who she is. Eva Longoria isn't, well, on the show. They say her name as a producer on every promo, so they are using her popularity, but the idea that you have to watch soaps to know who Susan Lucci is? Nope.

I know there are tons of people who know who she is and have never watched soaps. She's hosted SNL, been on the cover of many non-soap mags, starred in many TV movies and commercials, has been spoofed on SNL, and is on QVC and other talk shows all the time.

Topic? This show isn't going to appeal to young, hip demo so they should be promoting their most established star--Lucci--to get the more likely viewers.... The older ones with money.

That's my point.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

I didn't know La Lucci was part of this show. I definitely want to give it a viewing now.  

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

You're right, it wasn't Eva Longoria.   But the best asset(s) of this show are still the 5 leads not an over-the-hill soap actress.  Lucci is fun but has become a parody of Erica Kane over time.

patternmaster

patternmaster

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

Give me a break about "stereotypes". It's a show that's employing 5 Latina leads.

So what the shows employing 5 Latina women, doesn't mean the show isn't promoting stereotypes. I still don't understand why the daughter couldn't be in college and helping her mom with finances by working parttime as a maid or why the bosses have to be mostly white, rich, mean and uncaring (which is also a sterotype)

Also I've heard several radio shows discussing the show and all have mentioned Susan Lucci as the star, which is weird cause she's only in one or two scenes in the premiere. I don't get what the target audience they are looking for by promoting Lucci as the star. I agree that many who do know of her are a little older and I certainly don't see that set tuning in.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

I recommend this lecture by Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie about the danger of a single story.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=D9Ihs241zeg