The Hero

• Please log in to reply

120 replies to this topic

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 7:29 AM

I'm surprised this one doesn't have a topic already, having the Rock and all.

I wasn't going to watch this, but I caught ads for the encore presentation while watching 72 Hours.  I liked it overall.  I find the wrestler/entertainer annoying and creepy.  Surprisingly, I was not annoyed with Patty the crier.  But, hubba hubba, I do like Dr. Dave.

I also like Marty and Charles. 

Looks like an interesting show.  I will be back next week.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

I don't know how I feel about this show. I enjoyed the missions but I don't like the people. Hopefully they get more likable.

Pinklotus56

Pinklotus56

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 9:08 AM

Agree, like the missions, but don't like a lot of the contestants so far. I did like the cop (Charles) though. Really didnt like Darnell, Lydia or Sean (Shawn?). Love love love The Rock, so will keep watching just for him.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

Didn't like Dr. Dave whatsoever.  It's pretty douchey to brag about your so-called terrorist takedown, especially when I can find no mention of him in any of the news coverage of the event.  The Wikipedia article about the attack says the terrorist was taken down by an el-Al security guard.

Don't like Marty, he reminds me of a puppy that wants to "fetch the ball" over and over again.  And I wouldn't trust Lydia to put the money into the pot.  Patty is annoying.  Right now I'm supporting Charles.

But I don't understand what the voting is all about, these things are already taped and in the can, what are we voting for?  And how does the voting occur?  Via Twitter?

toooquiet

toooquiet

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Try this link from the NY Times dtd July 5, 2002.

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

Scroll down about eleven paragraphs.  The newspaper article doesn't paint him as a hero.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 8:53 PM

Thanks for that, toooquiet.  He seems to have a higher opinion of himself than that.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

I can't decide if this show is going to be great or just irritate the hell out of me.  I can say that Darnell is irritating as shit.... one of those guys who seems to constantly need to bring down other people and find fault with them because he's got nothing going for him.  i.e. he's a loser!  Wrestler dude was annoying at the end too, questioning people's motivations for putting the winnings in the pot.  I think he was projecting on to others what he himself would do and his own motivation.  He's also a little useless.  Patty needs to stop crying.  Can't really remember anyone else.

heyitsme87

heyitsme87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 2:35 PM

Will there be any eliminations on this show?

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

I'm confused about something.  TR told Patty(i?) that if she took the money, no one would know but the 2 of them.  However, if the consequence of that was that the other 2 who stayed back, now had to compete in the team challenge, wouldn't everyone know that Patti screwed them over, if she had taken the money?

If TR never says how much money is actually in the pot, I could see how people could keep the solo challenge money, however.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 1:12 AM

I'm confused about something.  TR told Patty(i?) that if she took the money, no one would know but the 2 of them.  However, if the consequence of that was that the other 2 who stayed back, now had to compete in the team challenge, wouldn't everyone know that Patti screwed them over, if she had taken the money?

I'm sure there would be a cover story about there being an added "twist" to the challenge without specifying that the twist occurred because she had taken money for it.

If TR never says how much money is actually in the pot, I could see how people could keep the solo challenge money, however.

Dwayne DID tell them how much was in the pot before they voted for Dr. Dave in the solo challenge. I'm sure that if the hero wins the challenge and decides to keep the money, or if the hero loses the solo challenge, Johnson will just say that "no money was added to the pot" leaving it open to speculation and/or the story told by the solo player as to whether the player kept the dough or lost the challenge.

BTW...

Dr. Mister Johnson:

I will take the money. Every single time. I don't care what America thinks. Please put me on the show.

Sincerely,

misterbfd

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 7:32 AM

He was referring to the two at the team challenge.  And I would imagine they've got some way of separating all the people that stayed at the penthouse so it would just be your word whether you were the one or not.  I guess we'll find out.

Calvnhobbes

Calvnhobbes

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 4:02 PM

Didn't like Dr. Dave whatsoever.

Dr. David Parkus. He had a few minutes in the spotlight on an old documentary in the late 90's, 'Trauma: Life in the ER'. He was pretty douchey back then as well.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

Ugh with Shawn (or Sean, however he spells it). I cannot believe he painted himself as both a victim of the "bullying" of the group because they won't let him play...AND as a step away from total poverty. If his life is in such dire straights he should just go ahead, quit the competition and get a job while he tries to make it as a wrestler. Seriously, I cannot fathom voting for him or having him win anything. These people cannot continue the poor, pitiful me routines or vilifying others because that wont win. Marty actually endeared himself to me tonight. So there's that.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 10:01 PM

Still can't stand Sean/Shawn.  I teared up at the end when The Rock was talking to Darnell.  Still liking Marty and Charles. 

The one I am liking more with each passing week is The Rock.

Edited by Runningwild, Jun 13, 2013 @ 10:02 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:09 AM

Shaun is a slug, why would anybody trust him again?

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

I will watch The Rock in anything. I don't care that its a persona. He was really awesome with Darnell last night.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

I watched this show last night because I'd heard that it was completely different from what I'd assumed it would be based on the commercials.  I, however, did not devote 100% of my attention to the show, so I'm terribly confused by it.  But it seems fun.  I'll keep on.

The final challenge in the dry dock with the water rushing in, then having to find the sledgehammer, break out the sides, then find the wrench and get the top off?  I was actually biting my nails, and it did really come down to the wire.  That guy was giving it his all, and boy was he exhausted.  That was a no foolin' challenge so it makes the more cartoony stuff we see on Survivor look like chump change.  I still have no freakin' clue who all those people are, and what all is going on, but that last bit was really compelling.  I'm sure that just off camera was a cadre of rescue swimmers ready to step in, but I really had the sense that he was on his own fighting for his life.  Nicely edited and scored.

AladdinSane

AladdinSane

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

"..sometimes bigger isn't better....unless you're me" HA 

Stimpson

Stimpson

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 1:43 AM

I am surprised at how entertaining I am finding this show.  Finally a TNA reality competition that is worth watching.

The Rock is pretty funny with his one liners and really comes off as a likable guy.

I'm glad the wrestler is on the show.  He makes for good tv.  He was dead weight in the first episode and it was eye rolling entertainment watching him try to justify it.  I don't blame him for taking the money.  If only one person gets the pot at the end your chances aren't good relatively speaking.  You've got a 100% of leaving with cash if you take the offer.  $35k is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by Stimpson, Jun 15, 2013 @ 1:44 AM.

Pinklotus56

Pinklotus56

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

I don't blame the wrestler for taking the money either (I don't like him at all though), and I respect that he eventually owned up to it. It would be very, very hard to turn that money down. But I don't like how he keeps saying that the only reason people have turned down the money is to look good to the viewers and the rest of the team. Maybe that's the reason he would turn the money down, and maybe some of them would turn it down for that reason as well, but he seems to think that it's impossible that maybe people really DON'T want to screw over their team...or maybe they DO care about honouring their word. I really, really don't like him. He makes me wish this show eliminated contestants.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Yay!! So often I find myself at a TWOP forum WAAY into a show so I end up lurking. I had this on my sights when I caught the first trailer and I'm pleased to find it is really interesting and entertaining.

I don't blame Shaun for taking the money. BUT, there are consequences for actions... and unless he is lucky enough to pick up the phone again (and how random is that - interesting that Patty and he just happened to be around when the phone rang), I don't think he'll be winning any more money. That being said, when he was talking about Rock's past with poverty and getting cut from a football team, I got the feeling that TR wasn't terribly pleased to have his past used to justify his decision to screw everyone (and the American Red Cross).

Darnell... I didn't like you at first and you just won me over. That goosegg he got looked like a damn concussion! No kidding he was dazed by that. I'm surprised they didn't stop the game and a little concerned if they would for an even more serious injury. He pushed himself so hard and I had my hands at my mouth, eyes wide open pulling for him to make it just under the wire. To be only a few feet from $50,000 and not get it. Crap, I would need The Rock to talk me down from that too. He handled it better than I would (I'm not sure if I would just start sobbing or scream first and then start sobbing).

I like Patty. Normally the criers just irritate me and for some reason she doesn't. She has their really weird strength to her (and to be honest, I'm just cynical enough to wonder how bad that phobia really is. I've seen some seriously crippling phobias in my life and I'm just a little skeptical). Oddly, her bonding with Marty kind of endeared both of them to me. Speaking of...

Marty - WTFingF dude. CALM down. Seriously.. that kind of barking, chest pounding energy is exhausting to watch. Finally seeing a talking head of him where he talked about how Patty reminded him of a mom and he looked at her that way was refreshing. So glad to see that he has more than two speeds (I'm assuming he sleeps).

Rachel who needs to cut that fucking mop off of her head. Hideous. I love that she took lead, spoke Spanish and really led Athena in the challenge. I hate that she puffed herself up as "carrying her" when it looked like both were hustling and running around.

Athena - meh. Even with being in two challenges - meh.

I like and dislike Lydia, but I haven't found solid ground for why I do and which way I'll go on that.

I really like Charles. He had a pretty chaotic childhood and his dad sounds like a maniac. He seems quite a bit more grounded than most of the rest of the cast, so he's in my top 3.

Dr Dave can suck it. The man pulled a great first challenge, he didn't dump the money... but something about him is just very smarmy. A bit of an attention whore. I admire that he's been through some shit and has some barriers up... I'm hoping he mellows out a bit and becomes a bit easier to watch.

All in all - good start and I'm looking forward to next week.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

I have to wonder about the impoverished upbringing of The Rock.  His father and grandfather were both professional wrestlers, and he grew up just down the street from my parents, in a very nice suburban neighborhood.

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

Dr. David Parkus. He had a few minutes in the spotlight on an old documentary in the late 90's, 'Trauma: Life in the ER'. He was pretty douchey back then as well.

Ah, that's why he looked familiar. I loved that show. 

(and how random is that - interesting that Patty and he just happened to be around when the phone rang),

AND the other 2 people in the house apparently don't hear the phone ringing. Uh huh. 

I have to wonder about the impoverished upbringing of The Rock. 

It may have been more of a self imposed poverty. Meaning, he was determined to make it on his own and not go running to the family. I know some people who need to try that.

lambie

lambie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 11:38 PM

I enjoyed this week so much more than the premiere. And I totally teared up the way Rock talked to Darnell at the end (and all the way through the challenge). Darnell was damned impressive in that challenge. The Rock came off as totally sincere -- and gave him a big ole man hug! Damn! 

I still think the format of the show is clunky though. Maybe it will make more sense to me as the weeks go on. 

Is Athena the one with the super curly hair? God, she's annoying. I get that she was panicking but she pretty much kidnapped that local man to run with them all the way to the meet-up spot. The cheerleader is right, she is useless. She can't be that frail if she made the cut for the show. They should have rotated every block so one person got a brief rest.

I can't believe this show was shot without a major riot happening. At least 3 times when they were on the streets I thought the crowds were going to overtake the contestants. Granted, he's The Rock and can handle his own shit but he must have had a super security detail because in the scene where Darnell had to find him in that street market there were people pretty much hurling themselves against the chainlink fence.   

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Wow.  Getting so there is nobody left to root for.  I'm so disappointed.

hjmugillecuty

hjmugillecuty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

I missed the voting and the individual challenge. I know Darnell got picked, but what else happened?

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

Darnell took the money, so they're going to tell everybody else that he failed at the Hero challenge.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

Wow.  Getting so there is nobody left to root for.  I'm so disappointed

I agree.  Last night was rough.  Still loving The Rock, though.

Stimpson

Stimpson

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

Wow, what a hypocrite Darnell turned out to be.

I don't understand the mindset of some of the contestants.  The $35k wasn't from the pot and didn't put a them at a real disadvantage.  Is no one allowed to have a prize unless the entire group agrees on it?  I would have told them I didn't know any of them and would never be seeing them again a month later.  I made no commitment to you not to take money so just deal with it.

The Rock cracked me up again with his jungle comments and hiding spot.

loxie 28

loxie 28

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

Ugh.  This show is just getting to be frustrating for me to watch.  I would assume that all the contestants didn't know about the sneaky offers in the show before they signed on.  They signed up to show the world what a "hero" they could be.  I'm sure when the producers cast the show, they were sure to sign on people who were desperate for money so their offers of deception would make for a juicier show.  

Basically what we are seeing is not a show about heroes, but a show about how everyone has their price.  For someone to get greedy and take an offer of money above anyone else on the TEAM is kind of despicable in my eyes.  Then to get all teary and say, "Don't judge me, because you don't know my situation, "  is really stupid, because everyone on that show probably needs the money for some kind of burden or another.  You sign up on a show to be a "HERO."  All this backstabbing is turning the team against each other, so the lack of integrity that some of these people are showing is obviously destructive.

Athena can suck it. I don't care if her decision didn't really affect the group's pot.  I don't care if she doesn't know these people.  Her actions showed her lack of character loud and clear.  I hope Darnell is happy with his decision after his daughter told him she wanted to be "just like him."  He just taught her to take the easy way out of a situation and put her needs before anyone elses.  

I guess that is what TV competitive reality is there for, though.  Fame whores who want easy money.