72 Hours

• Please log in to reply

72 replies to this topic

North of Eden

North of Eden

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

No, thread eh? Well, here we go then.

THE PROS: The grueling terrain was probably the best part about this series as the three teams had to brave their surroundings in the quest for the suitcase. There was a true Survival element to it unlike the constantly rewards fed contestents on SURVIVOR who pretty much just sit around the whole time plotting to back stab each other. The enviroment truly played a big role in the game when it managed to finally halt the near runaway sucess of the Blue Team who I thought for sure had it in the bag with the two Alpha Males.

THE CONS: Wait what? Three people have to SPLIT $100 (k). That's not gonna pay off a mortgage like the one woman had hoped for. Each person should get their own suitcase full of money. Then we have Dayna who was straight out of stereotype central casting. Why do the casting directors always have to go to that well. Same thing with the dude who had the "all show" gym muscles....that don't really lend much by way of swimming apparently.

Also I don't like that each week we have to get new teams. I think the two losing teams should move on to the next episode where one of them will either win or if they do not...the last place team should be eliminated...by week three then you would have one of the orginal teams vying for a last chance to win. If they muff that too.then they go home.

Fairly happy with the winners. I liked the NON-military guy. I can imagine it would be tough to be in a family where everyone else is in the service and you aren't.

Lastly was that hand sanitizer in the relief drop or in the supply drop? Either way that seems an odd thing to have in the jungle but the blonde waif was brilliant the way she employed it.

Edited by North of Eden, Jun 6, 2013 @ 10:07 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:27 AM

The Blue Team just pushed too hard, they didn't stop to rest and it finally cost them in the end.

I wish they would have given us some sort of idea as to how far apart the teams were, not just First Place, Second Place.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 7:25 AM

I enjoyed the show overall.  I didn't really care for too many of the contestants however.  The blond, skinny survivalist was my favorite.  Isn't she the one that vomited?  And ended up winning?  Awesome.  6 miles across the open ocean is a long freaking way.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

This is an interesting show but I wish that the contestants were more likable. Christian is a jerk (and incredibly sexist) so I spent too much time disliking him. I did like the green team.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

The good thing is if you don't like any of the people, you just wait until the next episode! I sort of didn't get the concept at first and kept thinking "how are they going to stretch this out over several episodes?" When I realized the whole race would be over by the end of the episode I was like "Huh? Is this a one episode series?" I kind of like the idea of a different cast every week and a different location. If they used the same location every week it would get pretty redundant.

As someone who's sick to death of all the gimmicky puzzles and challenges on Survivor it was nice to have a show where it's just trekking and surviving - kind of like how Survivor might be if I were in charge. Having only nine people makes it a lot easier to identify them all quickly as well. I didn't care for any of the first nine though. Hopefully they'll have some more interesting characters along the way.

Anyone know how many episodes they filmed?

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

I liked it.  It sort of reminded me of that show that was on last season where they escaped from Alcatraz and other places.  Except this show didn't have guards catching them and sending them back.  But it was 3 teams racing to the end.

The idea that none of the teammates know each other in advance adds to the drama.  They are forced to deal with the unknown and they are only as strong as their weakest team member. 

I didn't understand why the first team (red) arriving at the last marker didn't get an advantage for being first.  It seemed like they stood around chatting with the host till the 2nd team (green) showed up.  Then they all got their last package together and left at the same time.  That part didn't seem fair to the red team.  But I didn't really like most of the people this week.  So it didn't matter who won.  Hopefully next week I will like an entire team.

OldTowneTavern

OldTowneTavern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

Wait what? Three people have to SPLIT $100 (k).

When I realized this, I laughed and laughed.  So the whole time I kept thinking things like "Couldn't they spend less money on helicopter rides and more their contestants?"  Really, it's a shockingly low amount of cash for the punishing physical tasks the contestants are asked to do.  They could make more while keeping their clothes on and eating to their heart's content backstage on Wheel of Fortune.

I sort of like the show.  I'd prefer it if some mental challenges were put in the mix, and of course that would require casting contestants that can do more than look good in swimsuits and toss off empty insults.  Also, I think it would be better if the teams knew each other.  However, it still has an appeal.  I much preferred it to the Hero show with The Rock.  That had too much unnecessary backbiting, and arguing and stuff that I could turn to Survivor or The Real Housewives for.

Edited by OldTowneTavern, Jun 7, 2013 @ 6:10 PM.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

No, thread eh?

Probably because I can't even find the show. 

BusyOctober

BusyOctober

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

I sort of like the show.  I'd prefer it if some mental challenges were put in the mix, and of course that would require casting contestants that can do more than look good in swimsuits and toss off empty insults.

I'd say for some of last weeks' contestants, using the GPS was a mental challenge.

rissatx

rissatx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

I like the premise but hated all of the contestants. Especially the blonde dummy. She kept saying she was a secret weapon but the only contribution she made was the hand sanitizer which any one with half a brain knows is full of alcohol so I didn't find that impressive.

I wanted to root for the divorced chick because I can relate to that situation and having taken many steps back but she just irked too.

Edited by rissatx, Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:20 PM.

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Especially the blonde dummy. She kept saying she was a secret weapon but the only contribution she made was the hand sanitizer which any one with half a brain knows is full of alcohol so I didn't find that impressive

Once they gave her the GPS, they did alot better. She was the only one who took the correct route to supply drop #3 which made up a ton of time and at the very end she was the one who suggested they go further down the path instead of getting in the water like the other team did which basically got them the win.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 9:03 PM

Why do these people go on these shows?  Eric on the Red team and that stupid hairdresser who claimed to be Wyatt Earp's great-great niece.  And then fell off the horse.  SMH.  Stop your whining people!

NoirDetective

NoirDetective

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

Ugh, the 2nd week of this show was horrible. I can't believe the fat and whiny piece of worthless garbage won. Sir, you proved nothing to yourself or your mother. You should be ashamed and embarrassed.

But this is clearly rigged. The way bankrupt man's Probst makes the teams wait at the final drop so all the others can catch up. How two weeks in a row they were all minutes apart at the end after what is allegedly several days.

Screw off, show. And Eric, you are truly pathetic. Donewith this failed enterprise.

North of Eden

North of Eden

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

Well hell that was awesome! This should have been the first episode..it might have generated better word of mouth.

And mostly it is thanks to the Red Team particulary Eric. It was if George Costanza somehow accidently wound up on a reality show. Watching his meltdowns was spectacular entertainment as well as his team mates reactions to it. In the confessionals he came across as a sweet mama's boy but out on the course he was a cantakerous bastard! And just when I thought after years of watching reality shows that Zip Lines were played out he actually made them interesting again as having to watch him be hauled across was outrageously hilarious. I don't think there has EVER been as hapless a contestant on a reality show as this guy! The bonus on the cake was as he lay there possibly dying his team mate is talking about how pissed she is that she'll lose her shot at the money basically if he dies.

Green Team was super boring and outside of the country girl that doesn't like to bathe they weren't interesting at all. No wonder they got less screen time. Blue Team...two fairly competent contestants saddle with a third wheel who couldn't pull her own wait.  Sad for them.

Points should be deducted from production for missing the money shot of Blue Southern Belle getting tossed from her horse.

Anyway much better than last week. Ratings are super low but I hope it gets to air all its episodes before the inevitable cancellation.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:10 AM

If I were on the red team, I would have pushed Eric off a cliff.  But I was rooting for their team, because Michael was awesome.  He has a lot going for him.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

The way bankrupt man's Probst

He really is a more generic Jeff Probst, isn't he? If you sort of squint or watch without your glasses (if you wear glasses) he could actually pass for Probst, even his voice is very similar.

There's something fundamentally wrong with this show and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's simply that it's too short - you barely get to know anybody before it's all over and they're gone. That has its advantages too, since if you don't like anybody you just wait until the next episode. Still, I don't think there's sufficient time to really decide who you're rooting for (or against). And with so little time to really get to know anybody, the talking heads play up their worst characteristics, so they all seem rather two-dimensional.

Plus there seems to be a deliberate attempt to saddle every team with some loser who, on paper, shouldn't be on this type of show in the first place, like the nerdy computer guy on the Red Team this week. Why on earth would he have even signed up for this show? Did he just show up at some random cattle call for a "new reality show," and by the time he found out what it was, the lure of being on TV was too great to turn it down?

I don't know, it feels like it's going to be really redundant no matter what kind of location they use. Teams trekking through the wilderness only to be inevitably hampered by someone who runs out of steam.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

I really, really like the premise of this show.  It reminds me of my long departed, but much beloved event TV of the yearly Eco-Challenge.  Gorgeous scenery, decently dramatic obstacle challenges, survival actually depending on skills and teamwork, and team snark.  However, it is so rushed and edited together that you miss much of what would be fantastic.  If they strung each location over three nights, (like CBS does with Big Brother) I think it would go much better.  We'd get more details, more scenery, more drama...  So, I'm disappointed, yet hopeful that adjustments can be made to make it better.

But sharing the 100K is still lame.  As was plaid shirt loser-man.  WTF was he thinking coming on this show?

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

Jesus, Eric was a real piece of work this week.  What a freak show.  He needs to grow up, seriously.  I feel bad for his mom, having such a loser for a son.

Blond hairdresser chick was also annoying.  Your kids are embarrassed by you!!!!!!!  You make all women look bad.  Please stop it.

jhlipton

jhlipton

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 3:12 AM

So Eric is wheezing and panting and laying flat on his back for the whole 72 hours and his team still wins.  Bull***.  I just don't believe that even at his best, he'd match the Green Team.  If his terrain-handling skills were so great, take a little time away from the drama and SHOW ME.  Show where they went that the other teams didn't and how that made such a huge difference.  Otherwise, it's just a crock.

I'm glad I just set the VCR to record one episode of this.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

Yes, I'll have to agree with you there jhlipton - if they're going to spend half the episode focusing on Eric struggling to remain vertical they  need to balance it out by showing us just how in the hell they managed to stay in the lead at the same time. Also, I suspect that even though the first two teams got to the final supply drop right around the same time, the second place team had to wait behind and let the first team proceed first. They aren't doing a very good job showing the mechanics of how this race works. They seem more interested in the team dysfunction and drama.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

Between shows like this (72 Hours), The Hero, The Great Escape, etc, it's only a matter of time before someone dies (from medical issues) or gets killed on a show like these.   

I remember reading a headline, about two years ago, that read: "Reality Show Star Found Dead" only to find out it was a Meerkat.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

Somebody did die on the French version of "Survivor".  They shut down the whole production.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

Somebody did die on the French version of "Survivor". 

This was a medical issue, was it not?

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 10:30 PM

I remember reading a headline, about two years ago, that read: "Reality Show Star Found Dead" only to find out it was a Meerkat.

This..totally just cracked me up.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 12:31 AM

This was a medical issue, was it not?

The contestant died of cardiac arrest after performing a tug of war, but he had cleared medical tests prior to the competition.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

I really, really like the premise of this show. It reminds me of my long departed, but much beloved event TV of the yearly Eco-Challenge. Gorgeous scenery, decently dramatic obstacle challenges, survival actually depending on skills and teamwork, and team snark. However, it is so rushed and edited together that you miss much of what would be fantastic.

I really wanted to like this show precisely because I still miss the Eco-Challenge.  Unfortunately the episode I saw did not come close.  I think its brevity is indeed the problem, but on the other hand, if there's a contestant I really dislike, at least I won't have to see more than one show's worth of him/her.  Personally I wish some channel would just re-run the old Eco-Challenges.  I'd love to watch the Morocco one again, or the legendary Patagonia one.

North of Eden

North of Eden

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

The show has apparently been moved to air at the bizarre time of 10:15 on Fridays!

I guess it's better than cancelling it outright but clearly TNT must be dissapointed.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Couldn't they have at least notified us of the change?

Recollected

Recollected

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 1:22 AM

Couldn't they have at least notified us of the change?

They issue press releases but the general public doesn't view the sites that they're published on, which is a flaw I've attempted to voice on but my intern status doesn't get me far lol.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 7:25 AM

I was disappointed it wasn't on last night.  Will try to catch it tonight.  Not a good time for the show.