Beverly Hills Pawn

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

Follow Yossi and his girls of the Dina Collection pawn shop in posh Beverly Hills, and the customers who bring them everything from bedsheets used in "The 40-Year Old Virgin" to raptor eggs from "Jurassic Park III."

I found Yossi funny and the women who work for him have the patience of saints. Interesting mix of customers and clients.

In the first episode, a woman named Candice comes in with sheets used in The 40-Year Old Virgin movie. She says a friend of hers bought them and she had a COA. There are white hairs on the sheets, not human ones. Yossi tells her she looks a little like Marilyn Monroe, but privately tells us "from very, very, very far away"... she is a little harsh. She wants money to further enhance her boobs. He declines on buying the sheets, especially after one of his assistants starts sneezing, as she is allergic to cat hair.

The next lady who comes in has raptor eggs in a big case from Jurassic Park III. Her ex-husband bought them and they promptly take her to the VIP room while they wait for Dan from Premiere Props to arrive to give them assistance in pricing them.

An aside: my cousin bought some clothes supposedly worn in a film from Premiere Props. There was no tag on them stating who wore what, just a piece of paper from them saying they were legit. Then another friend bought some sweat pants supposedly worn in another film, and again, no tag or anything. He paid $850 for a pair of sweat pants. So I started looking at their auctions. They had shoes supposed to have been worn by Charlize Theron in the same film, ranging in size from 8 to 10. I emailed to ask them how could that be. I got a really rude, nasty response. So, I am not so sure Yossi has paired himself up with the best "expert" on matters like this.

The next customer is an actress who I've never heard of, but she must have married well because she lives in a mansion with one heckuva view. And several garages full of collector cars. She wanted to sell the 1955 Astin Martin for a million, but Yossi would only give her 1/4 of that. I got the impression he was buying it for himself.

Finally, my favorite customer of the day. A lady comes in with a diamond ring she was given when she toured with a rock band, and she wanted to get $11,000 for it, I think. Dominique, the senior of the assistants who works there, came over to look at it. She said she was sorry, she couldn't give her that much. But she could give her $110,000 for it. Turns out it was 19th century antique art deco setting and a G quality diamond. The woman was in tears she was so happy. 

Imagine what she could have gotten for that at an auction and not a pawn shop?

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

The show really seems canned. I liked seeing the different items. If the parlay or tweak this it could be like "Million Dollar Listing"

It surprised me the earring the girl thought were worth $350 were $90 g. And sold right away. Of course, the magic of tv

The girls who work there get on my nerves with their insincerity.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 4:22 PM

Yes, the blonde is too much. The other girl always has her mouth open in a look of disbelief. At everything.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:20 AM

Can you imagine what Les from "Hardcore Pawn" would have offered that girl for her ring that was worth $110,000 ?  I can just see Les asking her "what she'll really take  for it" and " will you take $100. ?

No way that Les would have told her what it was really worth.

My dh and I were watching but I left the room when the woman with 3 (?)  garages full of cars wanted to sell the Astin Martin for a million dollars so she could buy her husband an island.

WTFever!

I'm out.

Edited by melissa1925, Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:21 AM.

sammy806

sammy806

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 10:18 AM

Have watched a couple episodes now and am wondering 'just how fake is this show?'.  The young woman who is Cory is an actress (Cory Oiver on IMDB) who, I'm guessing, has no or very limited 'pawn shop' associate experience.  Have they ever had more than one customer at a time in the store OR do they just set up the most interesting customers to come in at a set time to film their 'experience'? Thinking this is much more scripted than actual 'reality'. 

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

I just realized the Niki who bought the ET hand is an actress also.   I saw her a couple of years ago on Ross Mathews's video blog. He used to go bargain shopping with her at Target scavenging the clearance items on end caps. So she buys a $7,000 prop?

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

My son and husband love to watch all the pawn shows, but we just can't get into this one. Yossi seems like a dirty old man and the one where the 16 year old was given a car (driven by Channing Tatum in 21 Jump Street), he couldn't keep his hands off her and kept asking her to kiss him. He also has a face which seems incapable of moving, even when he is telling a joke.

The two younger sale clerks also look like they are so ditzy they couldn't work in a dollar store much less a high store like this. And the movie props are mostly boring and can't imagine people paying a lot for most of them. Rick from original PS, and Les from Hardcore Pawn could kick this guys ass , he seems like a slimy wimp.

micaki

micaki

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

Have watched a couple episodes now and am wondering 'just how fake is this show?'.  The young woman who is Cory is an actress (Cory Oiver on IMDB) who, I'm guessing, has no or very limited 'pawn shop' associate experience.  Have they ever had more than one customer at a time in the store OR do they just set up the most interesting customers to come in at a set time to film their 'experience'? Thinking this is much more scripted than actual 'reality'. 

Actually all 3 sale clerks are actresses. Bad. Actresses. But actresses nonetheless.

Dominique Pinassi
http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Aria Johnson
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2359393/

Cory Oliver
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0646803/

For some reason Dominique isn't even listed in the cast for the show
http://www.imdb.com/..._=tt_cl_sm#cast

Why do the networks have to lie to viewers? I wish they'd quit trying to pass new shows as reality! We knew 'Married With Children' wasn't real but we watched it anyway!

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

I watched two episodes of this show. As much as I liked hearing about the items and the possible back-story on said items, I couldn't stand how fake the girls on this show act. They are terrible actresses and overall, it was enough to keep me from watching again. I don't get why the people who develop these shows think that the viewers love the cheesy, fake storylines, the bad acting, and all the filler. Maybe I don't speak for all the viewers, but that is how I feel. Just get to the point. If it means you have to have more items to showcase, then do that instead of all the filler crap.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

Aria, the blonde, has a lazy eye and really bad extensions.  That's all I can think of when I look at her. When I see Dominique, I think of MK on the Shah's of Sunset.  Cory reminds me of those lame actresses on Vanderpump Rules.  And she supposedly was in Silk Stalkings just like Lisa Vanderpump.   What's interesting is that these actresses all have huge gaps in their careers according to IMDB.

And while I'm snarking, Yossi sounds like Cindy Brady and is super creepy with how he tries to be a lady's man hitting on every woman.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

While this show is completely fake, the store has been featured in various shows over the years. They've all been about places to find "hidden treasures." Basically, discounted luxury goods. Those shows were a lot more interesting.