Under The Dome

• Please log in to reply

2785 replies to this topic

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

Okay, so looks like tv is taking a stab of making at serializing a Stephen King book.

Mystery, drama and Sci Fi. Wonder how the CBS crowd is going to take to this.

Under The Dome Premieres June 24th.

From Wikipedia:

Under the Dome is an upcoming American science-fiction horror television series developed by Brian K. Vaughan and based upon the novel of the same name by Stephen King.[1] Both Vaughan and King will serve as executive producers along with Neal Baer, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank and Stacey Snider. Baer will serve as day-to-day showrunner. Danish director Niels Arden Oplev will direct the pilot.[2] The premiere of Under the Dome is scheduled for Monday, June 24, 2013, at 10 pm on CBS.[3]

Along with the show Haven, on Sci Fi, this show will be set in a small town in Maine (AWESOME). The synopsis of the show, (from Wikipedia):

Set in the not too distant future, Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.

http://en.wikipedia....ome_(TV_series) for the rest of the info.

http://www.underthedome.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1553656/

IGN Article: http://www.ign.com/a...ou-need-to-know

I'm interested, and definitely can't wait for it to premiere. Hopefully this will last.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Dean Norris is an excellent choice for Big Jim. He can definitely play an asshole.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

More articles:

CinemaBlend

Bloody Disgusting

Huffington Post

Most other reviews and articles so far seem to be fairly positive. Unfortunately I wish it was premiering now, instead of the 24th.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

This is interesting to me. Hope it is clever.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

I read the book a few years ago and it did creep me out.  I'm agoraphobic so being stuck under a dome with no way out is a terrifying idea.  I don't recall very much but there were some OMG moments and I'm wondering how they'll translate to the screen. 

Spoiler

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

I think I'll give this a chance because it seems like they are going to show how people deal with the event.  

It seems like every other show, Revolution, Defiance, etc., decides to have an apocalypse of some sort but then skips over it.  They usually ignore how people adjusted and instead  show everyone settled into the new social structure and the mystery of what happened is in flashbacks shown for the sake of the viewer but not really all that urgent to the characters.

I'm much more interested in seeing a show address the event and how to survive it and what might happen next.  Added to that, the mystery of what happened is much more engaging the closer to the event that characters are.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

Same here - normally I avoid Stephen King because he scares the bejeebers out of me, but I'm interested in this one specifically because they're showing how people react and adjust.  I am so tired of all the interesting stuff happening off-screen. 

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

I've been looking forward to this one so I hope it doesn't disappoint.  I think Stephen King is probably better suited to cable but, oh well.  We'll see what CBS does with this.  I've read a few King books though not this particular one so I'll be going in clueless.

Edited by rove3, Jun 12, 2013 @ 11:35 AM.

BettyWinchester

BettyWinchester

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

I really liked this book and thought it would make a great series.  I wish it would of been cable but at least it will be on tv.  I can't wait.  

gaPeach

gaPeach

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

Read the book and I love Stephen King so I am anxious to see how this all shakes out in a series.  It should be good with Stephen King producing it.  His characters are so real in his books it does not translate well when turned into a movie.  Not enough time to develop in a movie format but in a series it could be awesome.  As long as it does not drag down the storyline with too much character detail.

And I agree with those upthread that it would be better on cable.  Some good stuff that will have to be cleaned up for CBS to air.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

I admit, the only reason I'm going to watch is to see if they address my pet peeve with Domes and Dome-like shielding, why doesn't anyone ever try to just go under it? It's a dome, not a bubble, it'll stop a certain number of feet down.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

I'm with you lrdmordain; first question to be answered is whether it isa solid object or an energy barrier. I'm also scratching my head about fresh air, how they vent the heat/CO2, utilities (supplies, groceries, medicine, fresh water, electricity, internet, cable, SEWER/WASTEWATER!!!). It works for me in literature, maybe on stage but not on TV or in movies (The Simpsons doesn't count). Given that it's Stephen King, there might be enough to distract.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

I'm also scratching my head about fresh air, how they vent the heat/CO2, utilities (supplies, groceries, medicine, fresh water, electricity, internet, cable, SEWER/WASTEWATER!!!).

King's book actually goes into much of this, and it makes for major plot points.

I had to skip way ahead from near the beginning when it exceeded my tolerance for rapey stalker domestic violence, though. Being on network TV rather than cable may not be a bad thing for this story.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

King's book actually goes into much of this, and it makes for major plot points.

Thanks for the info. IMO, a good writer could have written a compelling story w/o those details and not have it detract; this is why King is a great writer. Don't have time now but will have to put it on my list to read. But only after the series concludes. No offense to anyone but I really doubt that TV, especially network, will be able to do justice to the book.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

I read this book. King did a wonderful job building the characters and the world that formed after the Dome came to be. However, I kind of feel like the book ended rather abruptly, but then at the same time I feel it was the only thing left to do. Logically the story really couldn't go any further without it turning into a bloodbath for all involved, which is why I'll probably check this out. It'll be interesting to see how they plan to expand this story/concept into an ongoing TV series.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

It'll be interesting to see how they plan to expand this story/concept into an ongoing TV series.

See, that kind of concerns me. 

Spoiler

Raachel2008

Raachel2008

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

I read the book and I liked it. I want to see what they can do this being CBS and all. I've always thought that King's books were cabele material due to their dark nature, so it's going to be interesting to see how far they are willing to go.

Edited by Raachel2008, Jun 14, 2013 @ 2:16 PM.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

I was disappointed to hear it wasn't a mini-series like The Stand.  I don't trust network TV to either not drag things out or not end on a cliffhanger.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

I find Stephen King adaptations to be hit and miss a lot of the time but this show had me at Rachelle Lefevre and her magical Merida hair.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Got the pilot and series on record as I'll be working. Really hope this works out.

Amtosbm

Amtosbm

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

I started this book a couple of years ago and its still sitting at page 50 on my KIndle. I just could not get into it. That being said a series could be a lot more interesting.  Although I do agree a mini-series makes more sense. Do they even do these anymore?  I will probably read the board and see if its worth checking out later.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

I'm assuming that's a longish miniseries is essentially what this will be.  Kind of like Harper's Island was so obviously a one season deal. 

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:06 PM

I'm assuming that's a longish miniseries is essentially what this will be.  Kind of like Harper's Island was so obviously a one season deal. 

Based on the quote below, I would say it will only be miniseries-ish if it flops out of the gate and gets canceled.
"'Under The Dome' Executive Producer Brian K. Vaughan Spills Secrets On New TV Drama." Maureen Ryan, June 19, 2013 interview on HuffPost.com

. . . I was lucky enough to get to talk with Stephen early in the process. He said, to quote Elvis, "It's your baby, you rock it now." The big thing he encouraged us [to think about] is, when he came up with the concept, he first thought about, "What if these people were trapped under this dome for potentially years, how might society change?" [When writing the book], he was on page 1,200 and thought, "Oh my God, they've only been trapped under here for a few days. I better wrap things up." He said, "Use television to go to the places that I couldn't." So when I sat down to write the pilot, it was just trying to capture the heart of the book while also having the freedom to know that we're allowed to go to different places. . .

Anyway, if it's unrelentingly dark and gross, I'll tune out. But based on ratings of dark and disgusting shows these days, that might give it legs.

Edited by shapeshifter, Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:07 PM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

Based on the quote below, I would say it will only be miniseries-ish if it flops out of the gate and gets canceled.

Ah ok.  To be fair, that was probably the plan for Harper's Island, too.  I just think it worked better as a one off long mini-series than what the creators may have intended. 

I would imagine this is going to be dark though. 

Thematic but non-specific book spoilers:

Spoiler

ETA: Spoiler bars to be safe

Edited by TheLabRat, Jun 23, 2013 @ 8:21 PM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

Anyway, if it's unrelentingly dark and gross, I'll tune out. But based on ratings of dark and disgusting shows these days, that might give it legs.

I agree with both those statements.  I haven't read the book and I will be skipping sentences with the words "in the book," but it's good to know that if it's too dark I can find out how it ends somewhere else. 

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

Yeah I'm assuming for anything other than very general statements we book readers should spoiler bar our thoughts that pertain to the book specifically and differences from the show once it starts.  I'm honestly not sure if I should spoiler my sentence above.  Pretty general but possibly too much?  I know I'm sensitive to this in other shows where I haven't read the books (hello Game of Thrones and True Blood).  I'll happily go how you non-readers feel is best on that one.  I'm only 30 pages into the thing right now, so after the first couple of episodes I doubt I'll have to worry much about accidentally giving out spoilers. 

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

Verrrry interested where they're going with Barbie re: Peter Shumway.

DesiJ

DesiJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

I thought that was an excellent start.  The hour really flew by.

Junior is creepier than hell.

Barbie is an interesting character.  He's apparently a murderer, but he also gives the appearance of being a decent guy.

Can't wait until next week!

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

I'm happy to see significant changes from the book, so that the show is its own entity and hopefully can't get spoiled like GoT.  The kid from "We bought a zoo" has sprouted a couple of feet since the movie.  Big Jim and Jr. are already owning the show. 

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

I was really hoping they wouldn't show the the poor cow and the woman become victims of the Dome, but no such luck.

Well they’ve certainly changed up a few things from the book. Some things I like. Somet hings I don't.  The guy they cast as Barbie is perfect. I already like the little bit of background they’ve added to his character. Looks like he might be some kind of law enforcement, perhaps FBI or DEA? Considering how he interacted with the firemen and the notes he was reviewing while sharing them with whomever he was talking to on the phone. However, him burying the body at the beginning is kind of throwing that speck off, unless he's dirty. Or perhaps he didn't kill the man he was burying at the beginning maybe he found the body? But why bury it, and not report the person dead?

I’m not feeling Big Jim at all. I like the actor, but right now he just doesn’t embody the antagonist that is Big Jim. Junior is cute, but definitely bringing the cray cray. Jim already seems a bit suspicious of his son.

Now that I've watched the premiere I'm slightly intrigued. I may tune in next week. So far though it's not blowing me away.

Edited by Enero, Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:22 PM.