Renovation Raiders

• Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

From HGTV:

Imagine leaving home for dinner and a movie only to return to an astonishing room makeover. Amy Matthews and her crew make it happen! Renovation Raiders premieres Tonight 9/8c.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they pull this off.

The ads say the move walls and plumbing, which sound like things that require inspection.
I believe this is in Minneapolis, at least the casting call is for there.

Suzy123

Suzy123

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

I didn't watch this, but when I saw the commercial, it reminded me a little of that TV show called "While you were out."

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

It sounded that way to me, too.

But this is with a lot less time.

I can't see how this really works, because at one point, Amy asks the electrician if the electrical work is done, he says what sounded to me like "done and passed."

This was supposedly done within the course of 5 hours, while a couple was at dinner.  They had to have his keys lock in his car to buy time, after some snags, including an injury and an escaped cat.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

I call bull hockey on this. It's like an extreme version of the crasher shows. Don't believe for one second they were done in 3 days - the day after they meet someone at the box home improvement store??? No way - permits are needed, etc. So I don't believe this will be done in hours. Fakey, fakey, fake, fake. If it's not - HGTV - prove it.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

My take on it (and I've only seen the first 15 minutes of the 1st episode so far!) is that they do the prep work, ahead of time.. from touring the site with the family member who's put this into motion, to taking all the measurements etc, then go pull permits for the work, do the design, order the supplies and book the workers, and have inspectors on stand-by and then at the prescribed time, they show up and do the work.  

At least that is how I understood it, HGTV typical fakery notwithstanding.

Edited by callietwo, May 31, 2013 @ 10:47 PM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

I must admit, that when Amy was telling the cousin they needed to buy more time, my thought was to have the police do a breathalizer test on the

guy, because  they kept telling them to go back in, and have yet another drink.

That would probably give you most of the night.

And I hope you're right, callietwo.

I know Minneapolis is strict about inspections, at least they are with Nicole.

Edited by lu1wml, May 31, 2013 @ 11:16 PM.

Suzy123

Suzy123

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 12:25 AM

Done anyone else that Amy Matthews face is super creepy? It looks as if she has had a lot of boxtox/injections of some sort pumped through her face and lips. I couldn't even recognize her from the commercial, I had to rewind it.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

Okay- so I finally finished the episode.  Found it a bit anticlimactic.  Lots of frenzy, frenzy, frenzy and then......nothing, really.  Did we ever find out what was wrong with that guy that was sent to the hospital?  

And did I miss something- that black guy with the really ridiculous wig & glasses, was that a friend/relative or part of Amy's crew?

I do wonder if the homeowner is licensed to do nails in her home, though.  They put it off as she has friends over, yada yada but that looked more like she was running an illegal nail salon, since there would be some serious regulations she would have to follow esp regarding sinks, and safety.   

I looked at Amy's face Suzy123, I didn't see anything unusual.. thought she looked the same as I'd seen her before.

Edited by callietwo, Jun 1, 2013 @ 11:14 AM.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 10:23 AM

I haven't watched yet but I suspect I will some time in the future but I have a hard time picturing how they can do all that they do in a short amount of time.  How does taping on new drywall dry enough to be painted in time?  What about new floors?  I'm perplexed.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

And did I miss something- that black guy with the really ridiculous wig & glasses, was that a friend/relative or part of Amy's crew?

He was the husband's cousin, and helping with the surprise.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

Done anyone else that Amy Matthews face is super creepy? It looks as if she has had a lot of boxtox/injections of some sort pumped through her face and lips. I couldn't even recognize her from the commercial, I had to rewind it.

This ad is driving me crazy because it's nothing I'd want to see and this woman, whoever she is, and her horrendous plastic surgery, are grossing me out.  There's eye work, lips collagened and botoxed, and something weird going going on with her nose.  

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

I didn't watch the show (stupid premise) but I did see the commercial and Amy does look different. I used to watch her on her other show when she had blonde hair. It's been a few years since that show has been on and she definatly looks like she had some (bad) work done to her face. It's a shame because she was really pretty back then.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 8:40 AM

Well I got to watch the first episode last night after HHI and I have to say I was impressed.  I like the way they plan and I especially enjoyed the pictures against the wall creating a skeleton room in the warehouse.

I will watch again but I have to say Amy is very hard on the eyes.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

Just watched.  Probably won't again.  Too much DRAMA!!  Amy had a show where she did wood turning years ago.  Mr Cgr really enjoyed that show and it was quality work.  She has been turned into another HGTV/DIY pawn and lost her appeal.  I thought she looked her age.  

And what if anything was wrong with the guy sent to the hospital?  I know he got hit in the head and was bleeding.  But what did he say when he got back?

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

But what did he say when he got back?

IIRC it was "Hey..."  

And that was about it.  And yeah, I don't think I'll bother to watch unless I'm *desperate* for something in the background, as it was so frenetic.  Not at all enjoyable.  

redogue

redogue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

I was looking forward to watching this show, but after two episodes, I won't tune in again.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 7:27 AM

All I can think about is how many corners are being cut in order to make the artificial deadline. It took me two hours yesterday just to cut perfect miters in some cabinet trim...okay, it's true that I am really, really slow and a total amateur, but still. Paint won't even dry in the amount of time they have.

Between that and all that blood the first episode...just no.

Edited by Oldernotwiser, Jun 8, 2013 @ 7:30 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

I did like that they showed the inspectors this time.  I wonder if they've read remarks and realized that people know that has to happen.

And still they they stall the marks with "have another drink."  I'm waiting for the DUI arrest, or worse, an accident.

Edited by lu1wml, Jun 8, 2013 @ 5:44 PM.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing about the dui.  They seem to always make a stalling tactic by using their car in the parking lot and the manager of the restaurant then buys them another drink or so at the bar.  I agree ..there's got to be a better way.

crazy4dec

crazy4dec

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

I watched one episode and was annoyed by all the 'drama' and I didn't like the constant check-ins with the cousin to see what the couple was doing. I really don't care about them eating, although I too was concerned about all the drinking they were doing.

Paint won't even dry in the amount of time they have.

This bugged me more than anything else though. There is no way anything resembling a quality job was done, the homeowners are going to discover all kinds of things that aren't right later.

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:29 PM

And the "trying-to-make-love-to-the-camera" look ain't helping. It looks likes she's competing with the "Cat Lady" (the woman who had dozens of plastic surgeries to resemble a cat). http://plasticsurger...ic-surgery.html

I remember her from a DIY network show that happened to be broadcast on HGTV and she was a really pretty woman that could use power tools...

Was she afraid of the Big 4-0??? Did part of contract require that she never look any older than she did the day she signed it? WTF?????

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

Maybe because the restaraunt was in on it, they were giving him non-alcoholic drinks?  I really hope so.

I agree- how does the paint dry? I think a lot of corners that seem like they would be cut are taken care of with all the pre-assembly work, since they do that full staging, but there are some things that just take time.

I like the idea of the show, but I think a weekend trip would be better.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

Tonight's episode was very nerve wracking!  The spy was an idiot but he did look funny in that wig.

I think that they really didn't connect anything in the short amount of time they had.  I bet they had to come back and finish off...they had too much to do in that last hour and there's no way they got it done.

That being said I loved the renovation, especially the kitchen!

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

The first episode was an absolute snore - one of the most boring hours (or 44 minutes) of television I've ever encountered. Haven't taken the time to view another episode - from your posts, it sounds like another formulaic offering from HGTV.

Amy's face is distracting, too. It appears she had the whole enchilada, i.e. plastic surgery and not simply a few injections. Too bad she apparently believed it was necessary at her (relatively young, IMHO) age to further her career.

Anyone ever see the cat or the tow truck on camera in the first episode? Nope? If not, it didn't happen, IMHO. The cat running to or from the house would have been dramatic footage, IMHO. Sounds like MN cats know better than to leave their warm nest.

When that first wife blew past the reno, wondered if they'd staged her little snit. Then, when they brought her into the kitchen, however, it didn't appear she liked the result and was truly disgusted with all the play-acting.

They'd have to make multiple, advance visits to plan the renos. Someone has to provide access to the home. None of the neighbors would notice a large crew and probably camera/sound equipment and chat with the (supposedly) unsuspecting spouse in advance of the final taping??

Edited by diydude, Jun 14, 2013 @ 4:46 PM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 5:27 PM

Not sure why they stage these fake dinners.  Why not send these people to some day long event?  Concert?  Live performance?  We live in the fricken boondocks and there's always some live performance going on somewhere near here that would easily take up four+ hours, add in a dinner and travel and it's a good six-eight hours.  

I watched a couple of episodes on demand (yeah, I know...) and they were better than that first horrible episode but not really all that much better.  The mostly underwhelming reaction of these people gives way to my belief that the one partner being unaware of what's going on is BS made up for the sake of a 'story.'

Edited by callietwo, Jun 14, 2013 @ 8:16 PM.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 6:41 PM

I guess you're right.  It never seems like the spouse is very surprised when they come into the house.  If someone redid one of my rooms I'd be gushing all over the place.  These people are meh

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

The closest to surprise I've seen was the man whose basement was renovated from a fairly boring, though neat & clean family room into a pretty nice family room and library (with hidden door!!)   When he walked in and saw evidence of something (lights/camera?) he knew something was up but he at least seemed shocked to see what they'd done.

At least the couple I watched this afternoon were far less frenetic though...  but I just watch for the revel, for the most part anyway.   

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 10:07 AM

I started this thread because I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new WYWO. 

Now, I'm disappointed and underwhelmed, and not sure exactly where the differences lie, that this should be so.

I think it's because more of the show is about "will we make it in time," than about the actual remodeling.  And the time is way too short. 

If they were to make it a weekend, it would work a lot better.

Redneon

Redneon

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

Who goes out to dinner for FIVE HOURS!!!   Even when I go to a buffet and have little breaks in between filling my plate yet again, I can't stretch it longer than 2 hours.  And even when I take my brother, who is a salesman and can talk your ear off, we've never been more than 2 1/2 hours.  I don't get the premise, but I have to assume it's like HHI (fake, fake, fake!!)

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

One show they spent time dropping off the kids with the grandparents, then they decided to leave the kids there, so were getting home early.

I'd have had words with the spouse over allowing that.