The American Baking Competition with Jeff Foxworthy

• Please log in to reply

1008 replies to this topic

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

I don't think Francine always had a favorable edit.  The three who had favorable edits were Darlene, Elaine and Effie, so my guess is it's either Elaine or Effie.  A university administrator and an attorney both have to be hard nosed in their jobs, so it's possible we didn't get to see that side of either one of them!!  

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

Should this show get renewed, I think Anna Olsen would be a great judge.  She had a baking show on Food Network Canada and really knew her stuff.  She is attractive but seems to have an iron spine.  She would be a much better judge with Paul Hollywood or perhaps another US male judge.  Plus as a Canadian perhaps a bit more familiar with american baking ;-)

SusieCue

SusieCue

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

As long as they don't use any of her recipes for the skills test.  :-)

On second thought, fixing her recipes might actually make for a pretty darn good skills test.  I actually got rid of Anna's recipe books after every single recipe I tried was broken - frequently tasty once fixed, but required way too much tweaking to be worth my while when I have so many other great dessert books where the recipes actually work as written.  It was a real disappointment because I loved the concept for Sugar and its sequel.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

I hope this is not true.  It's the only website that says it's canceled:

http://metro.co.uk/2...celled-3891828/

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

That seems sourced from the same place as some earlier links. Not that it's not cancelled, but I think you have to take any UK press on this with a dose of skepticism.

boilergal

boilergal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

Me, too, ari33! I'll start the gossip snowball with: Elaine! Just because she's a retired university administrator and I've never met one who wasn't an asshole. 

HA!!!!  When I read about the favorable edit, I had the exact same thought for the exact same reason!  

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

I'm such a nosy nose. I'm way too interested in what went on behind the baking scenes heh.

Note to self: Get a life.

hastings

hastings

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 20, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

It was Francine,who not only had a meltdown during the finale when her first bake failed. A screaming,cursing meltdown but actually also hid burnt macaroons at the bottom of the trash during the cookie baking. It wasn't discovered till later during the cleanup but that was why there was no penalty for Brian.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 5:14 AM

Ha! I am not surprised Francine was the one with the favorable edit. It always seemed to me she had the most to gain from doing well in the competition and would been more intense about it.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

Ha! I am not surprised Francine was the one with the favorable edit.

Me neither and I said as much a couple pages back.  I had the feeling during the show that Francine might be Krissi-lite in real life.  And a bit of a drama queen.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

I saw a Krissi-esque  undertone with Francine, but I didn't want to see it and was hoping I was imagining it. I didn't know there was anything buried in the garbage. How did I miss that?

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2013 @ 6:55 PM

"Krissi-esque"?  Who is Krissi?  

Edited by Zahdii, Sep 1, 2013 @ 6:56 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

Krissi is a contestant on MasterChef. I don't see much similarity between her and Francine, though. Other than they are both obese women. Krissi is from Philly and tries to be all street and tough and Francine is from the south and tries to be sweet and charming, but maybe is a stealth B. I'd say Francine is more a Paula Deen type than anything.

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

Thank you!  I don't know this Krissi, but I also thought I saw a resemblence between Francine and Paula Deen, which was unfortunate, since I've never really cared much for Paula Deen.

whyohwhy

whyohwhy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

Paul Hollywood opens up about his affair. Refreshing that's he's being a stand-up guy and not justifying or blaming anyone.

http://www.telegraph...of-my-life.html

Edited by whyohwhy, Oct 31, 2013 @ 1:35 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

This does not sound like he will be back for the US show, so this could be confirmation that it's not coming back.

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2013 @ 1:07 AM

It's a shame about the show, but if it did return, I was always in favor of two new judges anyway, plus a third guest judge each week to act as a tiebreaker.  JF should be invited back, though.  I thought he did an excellent job and was really likeable.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

There are tons of well known American bakers than could do the show if they decide to bring it back. Paul wasn't really needed.

Astriferous

Astriferous

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

I can't believe someone gave Jeff Foxworthy a TV show, and it was centered on baking of all things.  o_O