The Apprentice (Asia)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

Mark Burnett is at it again...

AXN’s latest original production, The Apprentice Asia, is set to make waves across Asia this May 2013! The Apprentice, created by reality TV guru Mark Burnett (The Voice, Survivor), with multi-billionaire Donald Trump as host and co-executive producer, has been a worldwide runaway success since its debut in the United States in 2004. The Asian adaptation of the mega hit reality series, The Apprentice Asia will be hosted by aviation tycoon Tony Fernandes; with the production helmed by Fremantlemedia Asia, a leading global entertainment production company which also produced the Indonesian and Australian editions of The Apprentice.

The elimination competition format will now pit 12 Asia-based business executives against each other for the lucrative opportunity to work for one of business magnate Fernandes’ businesses.

I'm a little perturbed at this show treating Asia as a country instead of a diverse continent. Can't we have 'The Apprentice India' or 'The Apprentice Malaysia' just like there's an Apprentice US, Australia and UK?

I do love that in the first 10 minutes of the first episode, the men brought up Americanism when choosing their team name. It's unfortunate that they ended up choosing a very American name - Mavericks - instead of choosing a name that represented them. I liked the name "Gempak". Same for the women's team - I wasn't excited about "Apex".

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

OK, this I've got to see.  Hopefully, Tony Fernandes is less Donald Trump and more Lord Alan Sugar.

stereohype

stereohype

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

So, they scoured all of Asia, and the one person they found to represent China is... a French dude? Come on now.

I thought Fernandes and his two advisors were pretty good though.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

You have to admit, though, Alexis makes for some nice eye candy.  Actually, a lot of the male candidates do -- and I'm not normally attracted to Asian men.

Hendy was the right one to fire, in my opinion.  The only reason he brought Alexis and Sam back into the Boardroom was that he was clearly trying to get rid of one of two strong players who posed a threat to him, and Tony saw right through his smug little act.  This is old-school, first-season Apprentice  the way the US and Australian versions used to be (and the way the UK version still is, thankfully), and I'm so glad to see it here!

Oh, and as for why it's called The Apprentice Asia, even though it's clearly taking place in Malaysia?  The cast is simply too diverse to call it The Apprentice Malaysia -- to me, it makes more sense to use the generic "Asia" because the cast comes from all over the continent.  It's the same reason that we originally had The Amazing Race Asia before China, Vietnam, and the Philippines started doing their own versions.

Edited by legaleagle44, May 28, 2013 @ 12:26 AM.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

I thought Fernandes and his two advisors were pretty good though.

I absolutely loved Fernandes and his advisors. They seem to have higher ethical standards than any other panel I've seen in the US, UK, and Australian versions. Their boardroom also seems calmer and more business-like. I think the contestants contributed to this atmosphere as they kept the boardroom discussion to things about the task instead of making personal attacks on one another.

Oh, and as for why it's called The Apprentice Asia, even though it's clearly taking place in Malaysia?  The cast is simply too diverse to call it The Apprentice Malaysia -- to me, it makes more sense to use the generic "Asia" because the cast comes from all over the continent.  It's the same reason that we originally had The Amazing Race Asia before China, Vietnam, and the Philippines started doing their own versions.

Oh, I get that they have a diverse cast, what I'm saying is that I believe Malaysia has enough talented businesspeople to fill a cast of 'The Apprentice Malaysia'. Same for the other countries represented amongst the contestants. The way it's done now, it gives off the impression that the producers couldn't find enough talent in one country, so they had to pull from all over the continent - which couldn't be further from the truth as I personally know enough Indian businesspeople to fill an 'Apprentice India'. They could have easily cast from one country instead of treating Asia like a country.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 5:36 AM

Maybe they simply wanted to be able to sell the program to multiple country, see if it was popular and then make the country versions of them like they did to Top Model or The Amazing Race?

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

The program airs on AXN-Asia, which is a satellite channel that is broadcasted to different countries across Asia. Hence, why this is Apprentice Asia. I don't think they would want to do a show with just one country, because that would limit the audience that they serve that would watch the show. So usually (like Amazing Race Asia, which is also aired on AXN), they would rather make a pan-Asian version.

It is different than if a local station create their own version (like say, a local Malaysian or a Singaporean TV station), they would then cast just the people in their country.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by argrow, May 28, 2013 @ 11:46 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

I just got around to watching the second episode, and for the second time, Tony got it right with regard to the firing.  Maverick's video was horrible and completely tossed the client's brief out the window (seriously, i never did get the part about Richard Branson and what he had to do with Expedia), and Hanzo was definitely the right one to go for lack of teamwork.  When are the men ever going to learn that trying to do the tasks strategically for personal reasons is never going to fly with Tony?