16-20: 2013.05.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

190 replies to this topic

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

I don't buy that Zendaya grew that much in the 10 weeks that they were doing the show that she'd all of a sudden be too tall for Val. If she was too tall, she was too tall from the beginning and that was bad pairing on the show's part.

I don't think she really grew during DWTS either.  I think she's the same height she was when the show started.  Though I won't agree it was a bad pairing.  I just don't know who else the show would have paired her with.

That said Val even kind of addressed the height thing on Kelly and Michael today.  Mind you they were talking about his eye, but he made a comment that normally he wouldn't have gotten knocked in the eye so much because the female is generally shorter than the male in ballroom dancing, and he made Z demonstrate what the proper height difference should look like.  Hence, normally his partner's elbow wouldn't be in-line with his eye.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

As I said somewhere else, Anna said on Afterbuzz she thought Zendaya had grown during the show and asked her, and Zendaya was like "Could be."

I wonder if they started putting her in flats after the time she took out Val in rehearsal. He's really been beat up on this season.

LadyMustang65

LadyMustang65

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

To those who responded about the freestyles - I don't remember where I read it, and when I tried googling it, nothing came up in what I was searching on.  As best I can recall, I've seen the same thing in a couple of places - interviews or dancer's blogs, places like that.  It's entirely possible that what I'm forgetting is that they can't do a single ballroom dance as a freestyle.  That would make sense. But by that logic, it would also make sense to me that since they included contemporary as a style in the contest this year, then a contemporary freestyle would not be acceptable any more than a ballroom dance freestyle would be.  (And yes, I did see Maks' and Erin's freestyle but had forgotten about it until unfortunately reminded.)  In any event, it clearly was allowed, so it doesn't really matter, I suppose.  But I will say that I hope they stop with the contemporary and the jazz and all the weird styles next season.  We have SYTYCD for that stuff, and they do it much better, and most of the time I don't really like it there either.  If they want to include some new dances, there are plenty of actual ballroom styles they could chose from.

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

I think part of the controversy about Zendaya's footwear is that she wore sneakers, no just flat shoes.  If she'd worn 1" character shoes, or dressy flats with a strap,  fewer people would even have noticed, and most of them would have understood that it was a height issue instead of a Master P-type defiance of convention..

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

I just don't know who else the show would have paired her with.

Well, Maks is several inches taller than his brother, and he is usually paired with a tall athlete, or an actress/model type with some height (remember, Kirstie was a model when she was younger).  I see that as a bit of a handicap, because he ends up with the gangly woman who isn't as bendy and graceful. Mel B was used to performing. She was an exception. 

However, I don't think Maks would have worked well with Zendaya because of the age difference, which would be a couple years greater than the val/Zendaya age difference. Plus, Val has a more gentle quality than his hot headed brother and doesn't lose it and yell at his partner the ways Maks tends to. He is much more patient. He really came out from his brother's shadow this season. 

What does a deserving black female (MelB, Brandy) or a half-black female (Mya, Zendaya) have to do to win this darn thing?!

Don't forget Laila, too. 

You know, there were rumblings about this after Mel B, Laila and Mya got to the Finals, but didn't win their seasons.  I remember people speculating that this is why TPTB went out and got a ringer (Nicole Scherzinger) with extensive performance and dance experience, paired her with a male pro with a built in fan base (Derek), and threw them up against what they thought was relatively weak competition.  I don't think they bargained that Erin would bring in that many votes with her frat boy fanbase, and that Evan would actually be THAT good of a dancer. Sure, he's an Olympian, and they tend to bring votes, but he was their only real concern, I'll bet. That was also the first season that the judges got to vote on a third "insta-dance" on the final reveal night. They knew beforehand how far ahead Evan was in the fan vote, for example, and could judge to make sure that Nicole won. I'm not saying that she didn't deserve to, but IMO, she was the most choreographed winner, ever. They knew that if she finished second, that the simmering controversy would come to the forefront. 

If I remember correctly, the judges scores were NOT "30-30-30" like they were this time (as well as recent seasons, too), which rendered the final "instant" dance scores on Wednesday night, meaningless. 

I don't think she really grew during DWTS either.  I think she's the same height she was when the show started

It's possible. Females tend to have their growth sputs between ages 14-16 and then STOP, while males grow a few years later, and keep growing into their 20's, sometimes. Zendaya's mother is over six feet tall, according to family interviews. She could have had a growth spurt. My son grew 4.5 inches during his summer break one year, which was 12 weeks long. 

Maybe the shoe thing was more noticible because she was wearing brightly colored tennis shoe type things on her feet. During Katherine's season, she wore flats quite a bit, but they were more dress shoe types of flats.

Heh, Mark, there are only so many 4'11" gymnasts around who can look up at you! 

Edited by ChicksDigScars, May 24, 2013 @ 2:28 PM.

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

You know, there were rumblings about this after Mel B, Laila and Mya got to the Finals, but didn't win their seasons.

Of those three, the only one that seemed to be an outrage to me was Mel B, because she was so clearly a much better dancer than Helio. I really liked Laila, but she was not a better dancer than Apolo. Mya was better technically than Donny Osmond, but he was not undeserving, in my opinion. He did not just stand there and let Kym dance around him like Helio did with Julianne. And, it's not too surprising he could beat out Mya for popularity. I never thought there were any shenanigans going on there. Even for Helio, I think there was a lot of residual popularity for Julianne leftover from her partnership with Apolo the previous season.

I remember people speculating that this is why TPTB went out and got a ringer (Nicole Scherzinger) with extensive performance and dance experience, paired her with a male pro with a built in fan base (Derek), and threw them up against what they thought was relatively weak competition. I don't think they bargained that Erin would bring in that many votes with her frat boy fanbase, and that Evan would actually be THAT good of a dancer...They knew beforehand how far ahead Evan was in the fan vote, for example, and could judge to make sure that Nicoe won.

That was really the first season I thought there was something not quite right going on. Yes, Nicole was an excellent dancer--she should be, since she is a professional dancer. But the unfairly high scores for her, the Evan/Anna fighting edit they got for the finale, the declaration that Nicole had won before Evan and Anna had danced, and so much more. It was clearly orchestrated and manipulated and poor Evan had to make way for that, regardless of how the fans felt. For all that Nicole was praised, I barely remember any of her dances for the right reasons. I remember the 'I'm an artiste!' meltdown, the who-cares-about-rules 'quickstep', and the weird hairdo in the 50s paso, but not really the dances themselves, whereas Evan's dances made more of a memorable impact on me. I couldn't figure out why they were pushing so hard for an obvious ringer to win over an Olympian, but the previous controversy over ladies like Laila, Mel B and Mya might definitely be a factor.

Edited by MadameL, May 24, 2013 @ 9:15 PM.

Spishak

Spishak

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

Kellie partnered with anyone else doesn't win; Derek and his choreo won that trophy. She's a singer that remembers and does her instructed dance moves pretty well.

Zendaya partnered with anyone else would have been just as awesome, although I was absolutely impressed with Val; he's a stand up guy and totally believed in Zendaya.

I'm in complete agreement with this. 

Even during All Stars, I realized Val was to me head and shoulders above Maks as a choreographer and guy able to keep mouth shut, and quite better as a dancer too. Really enjoyed his work here; great choreography for most of the season, and he took advantage of Zendaya learning steps quickly by throwing the absolute hardest most intricate steps at her out of probably any contestant the show ever had. Her only weakness was a Bambilike wobbliness.

Their freestyle, however, made everything come to a screeching halt for me.

During the dancing night, to me it was obvious D/K's freestyle won. During the results the next day, Kellie's potential Mirrorball win was suddenly a huge possibility. I'd never before had the experience of what it was like to get up and vote for someone based on a freestyle, because out of the seasons I watched, I had favorites before the finale. I also never experienced stopping caring so fast as after Zendaya's freestyle. It was not bad by any means. I didn't hate it, hating would be way too much of a reaction. It was just meh, I just didn't care. I was surprised at my reaction.

I didn't hate Aly's or Jacoby's freestyles, maybe cause they were never contenders. So I patiently enjoyed them.

And then Derek pretty much stole the shiny ball from right under everyone's nose. Going last/pimp spot in this case may have also hurt V/Z.

but then made the idiotic mistake of doing the quickstep on finale night that got points deducted from him when he first did it (IIRC).

If this is what made him and Shawn lose last year, and I'm 99% sure it was (and not their freestyle which got the encore then too), then his freestyle this year is what left everyone else in the dust.

I remember the 'I'm an artiste!' meltdown, the who-cares-about-rules 'quickstep', and the weird hairdo in the 50s paso, but not really the dances themselves

She had meltdowns and I never really liked her, but thankfully for me that didn't overshadow the dances, cause I still like their AT and Foxtrot more than any other dance on the show ever.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

I just don't know who else the show would have paired her with.

I think Tristan is an inch or two taller than Val, at least.  Just sayin'

LittleDitty

LittleDitty

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 1:35 AM

Regarding Zendaya and wearing heels...I don't remember which judge was her mentor for the finals but I do remember in the clip package that judge asked if she (zendaya) was able, or ok,  to wear her heels.  I thought at the time there must be an issue, an injury maybe, with her wearing heels...

LadyMustang65

LadyMustang65

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

I believe, LittleDitty, that CarrieAnn just told Zendaya she should practice in her heels.  She asked if Zendaya had them with her.  She did, and she put them on for the rehearsal.

FullRetail

FullRetail

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 6:53 AM

Derek won.  Again.  Quelle suprise.  My eyes continue to roll at the absurdity of it all.  And no, he's never had a truly awful partner.  Ever.  If Lil Kim got as far as she did by not bothering to rehearse, one can only imagine how far she'd have gotten if she put even a bit of effort in.  Or if Joanna hadn't been gifted with a personality that made her so unlikable that no dance could save her. About the closest calls he's had over the seasons are Ricki Lake and Jennifer Grey.  It was as if the viewers were "thrown a bone" by also giving the golden boy an older girl and a big girl.  Guess TPTB figured the viewers were too ignorant to realize that Ricki had lost an astonishing amount of weight, making her a big girl no longer and that Jennifer Grey was already a trained dancer.  Hell, even his buddy Mark got saddled with Kim Kardashian at one point! 

If Derek could manage to win, place or show with a Nancy Grace, a Wynonna, a Wendy Williams,a Monica Seles or any of the other ladies who aren't dancers, then yeah, totally believable that he's THAT good.  But when you're given the ball on the 10 yard line with 25 extra downs to make the play, there's very little chance to not score.  And if they are giving him the best possible pick of partners in order to "showcase" his talent, then why not let him choreograph the pro routines going forward?

All of the other pros really end up with the luck of the draw each season.  A few have done well a couple of times (Cheryl, Mark, Kym) but the rest are generally used as cannon fodder.  They can only hope that their celebrity can manage to either keep up or are so popular that they can stay long enough to show some improvement. 

His lingering presence is making this long-time fangirl start to hate the show.