Marvel's Avengers Assemble

• Please log in to reply

29 replies to this topic

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 12:41 AM

The successor to the cable channel’s popular The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest HeroesAvengers Assemble will receive a preview Sunday, May 26 at 11 a.m. ET/PT before making its official premiere in the same time slot Sunday, July 7. 

The pilot episode is up for free on iTunes (along with a season 1 trailer).

I'm not impressed. 

Edited by superboy, May 21, 2013 @ 12:44 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

I think the sneak preview airs on Disney XD next week. I'll give it a chance, though I still think Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes will go down as the definitive Avengers cartoon.

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

I think the sneak preview airs on Disney XD next week. I'll give it a chance, though I still think Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes will go down as the definitive Avengers cartoon.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was a great cartoon, definitely worthy of being the definitive cartoon.

There's just something off about this. The animation is almost reminiscent of those horrible motion comics/cartoons that Marvel has made with Astonishing X-Men and Black Panther and is just not to my liking. I also thought some of the voices were miscast but I admit that those can always be off putting when first hearing them. It took me a bit of time to get used to the voices on A:EMH too. Snap judgement is that I do not like the Thor or Iron Man voice actors.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

This has two things going against it...

-Jeph Loeb is in charge of Marvel's Animation Division

-Disney canceled the superior Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes so they could have their own Avengers show that they could control completely.  It was Disney and Loeb that wanted Avengers EMH gone.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

First, I do think Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was better. Of course, that's after only two episodes. I'm not a huge fan of the animation style, but Tony called MODOK Modork so I'll continue to watch.

I hope we get some Bruce Banner as well as The Hulk. I find Bruce to be more interesting than Hulk.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

Official Motto: "We're Trying. That's Something, Right?"

I try not to rip into Man of Action for anything . . . but after two episodes, the spark isn't there yet. It could happen, but A:EMH may have set the bar too damn high. Too many "panels" and cuts, and I think trying to replicate "Hulk smacks Thor to the side" ad nauseum with Thor and Hawkeye might be a mistake. At least Falcon is a good addition to the team, and I don't think he screams "token." And seriously . . . Tony Stark should lead the team in everything but on the battlefield. Cap is King Arthur of the Avengers . . . the once-and-future Warrior King that always leads his armies to victory.

Dungeonwriter

Dungeonwriter

Just Tuned In

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 12:52 AM

I wanted to love it, because I love Man of Action and I love Avengers and it just...didn't work for me. 

None of the characters sizzled like in the previous show.

In AEMH, Hawkeye was much funnier, Tony seemed brighter, Cap more fish out of water righteous, Natasha more deadly mysterious and we have characters like Ant-Man and Wasp and Black Panther who had their own agendas.  We also had a clearly better pilot in a mass prison break than the "Bwahaha, Red Skull is stealing your identity" which got repetitive. '

I also wish that they had learned from Joss Whedon that Bruce Banner is a lot more interesting in large doses than the Hulk. Thor seemed less...I don't know, he just didn't seem as interesting. 

I'll give it time, but not happy. And amen to Cap being the once and future Warrior King. I half expected Steve to take charge as the Red Skull and the others to quip about being morally conflicted. Stark's the tech guy, Thor and Hulk the raw muscle, Widow and Hawkeye the info guys, but Cap is the leader. 

gale6482

gale6482

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 4:06 PM

Ok.....but not at all great. Right off the bat I was super bummed that they changed Iron Man's voice, in AEMH Iron Man actually sounded like RDJ.....he had that cocky, sarcastic quality to his voice that really lended to the character. This Iron Man feels so lifeless in comparison, took me right out of it. 

My five year old stood there for about 5 mins into it, saying, "everyone looks different," which was to be expected, but, if you are going to change a character's appearance, at least make it better.....this kind of worked for Hawkeye who now looks more like his movie counterpart but Thor was just different, and not necessarily in a good way. 

I will really miss some of the characters from AEMH, like Ant Man, Wasp, and Black Panther :(

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

After finally watching the pilot two-parter I think I've figured it out: AA is basically a (somewhat) more serious mashup of Ultimate Spider-Man's sensibilities and The Super Hero Squad Show, skewed towards the latter, and loosely mirroring the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  It refreshes my bitterness over A:EMH's demise, though, which is probably the worst thing about it; this isn't horrible, but it's so unnecessary it hurts.

CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

Not as good as A:EMH but I'll keep my season pass for the time being.  The intermittent widescreen shots were . . . different, not sure if they qualify as an improvement, though.  Feel the same way about the animation and the voices.  There was quite interesting writing and characterization in A:EMH that I have yet to see here but, again, it's only been two episodes.

One plus for me is that Iron Man is team leader.  This mirrors my first Avengers comic books and I like it.  Unpopular opinion:  Not a fan of the Captain America hagiography that's happened over the last decade, e.g., The First Avenger, et al.  The Avengers were, and always have been, Tony Stark's team.  Besides if Marvel is going to ape the movies in terms of characterization, costumes, etc., then Iron Man, with the last installment making a billion dollars in a matter of weeks, should be the big cheese.

Redred

Redred

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

There is something very underwhelming about the animation and characterisation. The story is pretty standard stuff, not really interesting. It's sad that politics ended A:EMH, it's what got me into the Marvel universe.

Edited by Redred, Jun 30, 2013 @ 7:55 PM.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

I don't know. I'm just not really feeling it. (And I watched The Avengers movie 4x in the theatre.) But EMH was better.

I did like Falcon getting to save the day, and the beginning with Iron Man snagging Falcon's box. 

I'm not quitting the show, but my expectations are pretty low. 

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

Right there with you on the lowered expectations, Calliope.  Today's episode was more of a mashup of Ultimate Spider-Man and The Super Hero Squad Show than the pilot was (and while it was more serious than both, the humor was actually clunkier--initial-episode quirks, maybe?), and I'm still not crazy about that.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 12:04 AM

Well, at least the writers are trying . . . although the fighting over Ma Wilson's cookies was overkill. On the up side: Space Phantoms!

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

I've given up on this show. This is just such a downgrade coming off of the quality of the EMH cartoon. I just can't with this show.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 6:34 AM

Yesterday's episode kind of impressed me in one way: they've apparently written out Dr. Doom (for a while, at least).  The art design and execution still drives me nuts, but that specific plot point was kind of a surprise.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

Still pales to A:EMH. Also . . . does the canon Midgard Serpent have arms and legs? "Canon" means actual mythology as well as Marvel continuity. Also: Falcon using his wings to forklift Hulk? Kinda funny . . . but I miss Wasp. And Hawkeye with his cowl with the "H."

superboy

superboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

I really, really still dislike this show. It's just so bad. I think I'm officially throwing in the towel.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

Maybe if I'd never seen EMH I could be okay with this. But I did. And they were fighting Dracula this week. Dracula. And I know there's only been a handful of eps, but is the only plot the team getting taken over or replicated? I did like the female vamp trying to bite Iron Man and breaking a tooth. That's one good thing.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

Dare I say it, the plot I could actually deal with; Cap and Dracula fighting the Red Skull in WW2?  It's Marvel.  I'll take it.  It's (still) that execution part that throws me for a loop--this wasn't quite as serious as last week's episode, but it was close.  Or at least it was when it wasn't falling back on those mashup sensibilities.  A:EMH could have rocked this (and there's the rub, I think--this show is still way too close to its predecessor).

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

Ultimate Spider-Man has ended up being an alright show, but it pales in comparison to the Spider-Man show it replaced.

I think this show could be heading in the same direction if they can reign in the idea that the characters are all dicks to each other all the time, but it'll never live up to EMH.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

...and Perfect Xero's comment above is really ironic in light of today's utterly USM-ish episode, where Iron Man was a pretty big dick to Captain America over technology (to be fair, Cap was at least written as giving as good as he got) even in the face of being beaten by it in the form of Justin Hammer's (the Iron Man 2 version, I think) shiny new Super-Adaptoid.  Cap at least got to basically save the day, so one point to the show for that.

CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

Cap saving the day in every episode is something I can live without.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

I think we got our first good episode. Helps to have an opponent as powerful as Super-Adaptoid, and an enemy as dumb as Justin Hammer. Cap developing sarcasm was kinda awesome as well. And I can live with Hulk and Thor feuding over Hulk's 20-gallon tubs of peanut butter "off camera."

Kimmu

Kimmu

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2013 @ 7:57 AM

Dracula's been a character in the Marvelverse for quite some time. Just off the top of my head, during the Fear Itself event he had a limited series versus the Hulk, so there's that, so that really didn't throw me.

I wanted to like this show, but I have to say I hate it and I am not sure why I keep watching it. The way Thor is written....it's like they read the worst fanfic ever written where all Thor does is speak in capslock and demand poptarts and decided THAT is how Thor should be written. Like an idiot who screams all the time, when, you know, he's actually rather intelligent and a prince and full of wry humour. SMH.

The only bright part of the show is the continued Hulk and Hawkeye snarking. I will always, always ship Angry Birds.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

Today's episode: Hyperion, would-be savior of Earth...whether we wanted it or not.  And, to my surprise, it was a really serious episode for the most part--various guys winking at Hawkeye was a bizarre under-the-radar running gag--even with its USM/SHS sensibilities (yeah, the AA Thor really does sound so much like the SHS version most of the time).

Mysteris

Mysteris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2013 @ 12:21 AM

So I caved and watched this show at long last.

Is it bad that all I could think about was how much better A:EMH was and how they'd have made the episode a lot better than this? I was kind of hoping for some awesomeness and all I got was "meh." 

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

I'm hoping that's not the Hyperion. I got a copy of the Squadron Supreme trade paperback a few months ago. Basically, it's Kingdom Come before Kingdom Come. The team decides to make the world a better world by going all out, with stuff like "civil liberties" taking a back seat. The TPB is also known for its printing process . . . as per his wishes, the ashes of writer Mark Grunewald were mixed into the ink. I got a fourth printing which didn't have the ashes. Don't look at me like that . . . it was spelled out in the introduction. Anyway . . . there are two canon Hyperions, and one of 'em is a stinker. The Squadron made cameos as statues, and "Quagmire" was the name of one of the criminals-turned-heroes-through-brainwashing.

I know EMH is superior, but you can't go wrong with Thor breaking shit, while Tony sighs and hands repair money to the cashier.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

A writer's ashes being mixed into printing ink...well, I'm sufficiently weirded out for the day thanks to that...

Yesterday's episode with Molecule Man--er, Kid--and the MODOK-driven Super Adaptoid, while not being the best one so far (I think the Hyperion episode has that position), might have been one of the sanest.  Sort of, at least, since it loosely cribbed a plot thread from The Avengers: keeping something out of Tony Stark's hands because God only knows what he'd do with it.  Sure, even Tony had to go "Yeah, you're right" at the end, but still.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

Wound up catching that last night while waiting for new episodes. Watching Natasha and Clint carry on like an old married couple was tiring. On the bright side, there was Tony's tech boner over the wand. And there could be a Young Avengers/Avengers Academy down the line. I don't think the show directly links to Ultimate Spider-Man, so I don't expect Spidey to be making wacky asides about Molecule Kid.