Rent or Buy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6 replies to this topic

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

Did anyone else catch this show?  

This was the first episode airing on Friday May 17th on HGTV.  It featured a couple in Austin TX, Pete & Kelly.

She was so freaking annoying, I wanted to smack her.  They were looking in downton Austin and she wanted to rent, he wanted to buy.  She wanted a building with a concierge, gym, pool, etc etc.  And she was SO rude to Pete when he said he didn't want to waste their $$ on renting and she slaps him down with 'You're a cop, I'm a finance major".. Yeah, because cops are too stupid for words, right Kelly?  *eyeroll*

At least she had the decency to say she couldn't say much about the kitchen since she never uses one.

I thought the place they ended up with was completely ridiculous esp. considering the price.  And then they show that since the place has no storage, she stores her shoe collection in the kitchen cupboards.  Really- the entire pantry was filled with shoes.  So, I guess the money they are 'saving' by renting a smaller unit was to eat out every single meal.  OY

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

This really isn't a show about renting or buying.  It's really about how the strongest personality in a relationship wins.  It was clear from the giddyup that this couple were going to rent.  Girlfriend was definitely not buying.  She's allergic to smoke, she needs to be able to walk to restaurants, she needs a concierge.  She's such a catch!

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

This really isn't a show about renting or buying.  It's really about how the strongest personality in a relationship wins.

This was it, exactly.. at least for this first episode.  I hope it gets better.  I had high hopes for the show, as there are so few that deal with renting.  

She's such a catch!

Throughout the entire show, I kept thinking Pete, honey... you could so much better!  

zenme

zenme

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

Throughout the entire show, I kept thinking Pete, honey... you could so much better!

I found the Austin couple to be a very odd pairing.  At  first my volume was down very low, and I didn't realize these two were a couple! I thought she looked much older than he and thought his sister or mother tagged along to help him find a place.  Boy was I surprised when I realized these two were an actual couple--as in, they have sex! Yes, callietwo, Pete could do so much better.  Even my husband and 20 year old son, who never comments on such matters, noticed.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

Sounds like another HH clone on RE-TV - oops, that's HGTV.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

Yep, DIY dude, it's definitely a clone of the HH genre.. the twist is 'do we rent or do we buy?'.  

With this first couple, their buy budget was 470,000 and rent budget was up to 2600/month.  She insisted, even though she's a finance major, that renting was the more sound financial decision.  In the end, they went from a 1700 square foot condo to a 700 Sf rental condo so her shoes took up all the cupboards in their kitchen but was 500/month under budget.  Also, their 'one bedroom' had a half wall that was open to the rest of the apt and no door (so really more a studio)

It was just all so........ strange.   

Edited by callietwo, May 20, 2013 @ 5:33 PM.

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

She insisted, even though she's a finance major, that renting was the more sound financial decision.

It can be, depending on the market.  I haven't crunched the numbers to know if she's actually right.

Losing more than half your living space is quite an adjustment, especially if you're not an empty nester.  And while an extra $500 per month is nice, it all depends on what you do with the extra money.  Hopefully she won't buy more shoes...