Who Gets the Last Laugh?: So THAT'S What Happened to Turk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5 replies to this topic

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

Prank show by Punk'd co-creators Jason Goldberg and Ashton Kutcher, with Donald Faison as the host, and three guest celeb comedians each week contriving and carrying out pranks on the general public with the assistance of a troupe of actors.  Then the studio audience, having viewed the three pranks for that show (with the celeb there to introduce them) votes on the funniest/most successful prank.

I've just watched 5 episodes of this back to back.  Its not bad as prank shows go, mostly because I like the touch of having someone different in charge of each prank (although I bet the show probably cheats and assists a celeb if they aren't quite smart enough to plan something good enough). 

The only really lame thing is that the winning person is

Spoiler

I DO love Donald's bowties though.

P.S. - Alan Thicke was the worst person on this by far.  What an unfunny ass clown.

Episodes online:   http://www.tbs.com/v....jsp?cid=970849

myscrubs

myscrubs

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

I hadn't noticed what you mentioned under the spoiler section. But yeah, I kinda get the 'rigged' feeling too. Honestly, the only reason I watch this is for Donald Faison and I leave most of the episodes just wishing they'd give him more to do besides ham it up for the audience/cameras (and man, that studio audience laughter feels like they're being held at gunpoint and told they'll get shot if they don't react with riotous laughter every time Donald raises an eyebrow or quirks his head). It also seems kind of unfair that the celeb guests get the credit for the improvisational skills of the people executing the pranks. Most of the laughs I get come from the actors (or the prank target's reactions) rather than the pranks themselves. Most of the celebs barely get involved at all, judging from the editing at least. And some of the ideas are just too mean for my taste. (I did appreciate that Donald seemed to feel at least a little sympathy when one of the pranks made a girl cry, because god knows 90% of them would make me cry. I've never been pulled over in my life; I'm pretty sure if a "cop" planted "weed" on me and told me I was going to jail, I'd have a mental breakdown.)

I also feel kind of bad for the people who, even after the celeb comes out, don't really seem to get what's going on. They're not all household names and obviously the show itself is brand new. There've been a few times when the person didn't even say the title correctly during that "I'm So-And-So and I'm on Who Gets The Last Laugh" part at the end of the prank. I don't know why that hasn't bothered me on other not-so-famous prank shows (basically anything other than Candid Camera or Punk'd) -- maybe others have made it more clear that it's a joke as soon as the cameras come out, or maybe I'm just getting more sensitive over the years.

Overall I do enjoy this as a bit of late-night, try-to-turn-off-my-brain-before-I-watch comedy, but it has some problems.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

Yeah, the the tagline said to the victims is asinine.  Like it would mean anything to anyone.  They're counting on the presence of the camera crew to tip people off to what happened, basically (the sign of some grade B or C comedians, or even the occasional grade A ones they've had a few times, won't be the tipoff).

My guess is that Faison got involved because of his own reputation as a prankster.  I recall hearing that anyone on the set of Scrubs for any reasonable period of time got pranked by him.  Which of course makes his mere hosting duties here kind of a disappointment, but I think that rep is just how his name got tossed in the ring for this at all.

I really WOULD like to know how much or little the guests have to do with the actual planning of the pranks.  The likes of the lame-ass Alan Thicke made it clear that they don't ACTUALLY have to do anything, but at the other extreme Charlie Murphy actually seem to have done a lot (which is interesting, since despite being Eddie Murphy's brother and being on Chapelle's show, I think very few people actually know who he is, or care--that actually made his "I'm a big star getting hookers and drugs" stuff funnier in a way).

hnygrl808

hnygrl808

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 7:38 PM

I don't see this lasting past the whatever amount of episodes already in the can. Prank shows are just plain mean, and Mean, in the 21st century, just ain't that funny. TBS just can't seem to get it RIGHT with it's show choices.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

I watch one episode.  It wasn't bad, but there was not enough original or new about it to make me want to watch again.  This is a 50 year old premise being performed by B and C list celebrities.  And I too doubt the celebrities actually do much on their own for the show, its some writer and they present it as "their" idea. None of them seemed like great ideas though, its like a comedian doing knock knock jokes.  I don't think the show is mean, its just not original enough. 

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

Episode 6.  Guess what?

Spoiler