1-21: "I'll Never Get out of This World Alive" 2013.05.22

• Please log in to reply

183 replies to this topic

jatg61

jatg61

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

As straight as Gunnar has been, in soapland he can be "turned" gay with proper writing. I'm all for it because he and Will click NICELY! Perhaps that wasn't the intention, but sometimes the unexpected happens. The chemistry is there so the writers don't even have to try IMO. Scarlett can have Avery, Will can have Gunnar.

A person can't be "turned gay".  One either is or isn't gay, and no amount of "proper writing", even on a soapy show like Nashville, would convince me Gunnar's "turning" would be anything more than a convenient turn of the screw, so to speak.  Nothing about Gunnar's recent confusion is remotely related to his sexual identity.  Such inexplicable character re-writes are part of what gives soaps their unflattering reputation.

Re the first point, I hope that doesn't happen because based on what I've seen of Gunnar,  he's neither gay nor bisexual. Gunnar deserves kudos for staying friends with Will despite the kiss, but IMO it shouldn't be anything more.  As for scarlett and Avery, been there, done that and hopefully, they won't go back. Gunnar and Will click in a platonic way and they should stay that way, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree.  The idea that the only way to exploit chemistry between actors is by throwing them together romantically is narrow and unimaginative.  Meaningful relationships exist beyond the parameters of romance, even on a soap, and Nashville would do well to cultivate such a relationship amid the chaos and unrest of the romances it attempts to juggle.  

I'm not especially in favor of a Scarlet/Avery redux either, but I wouldn't mind if their relationship matured in a platonic way.  

Are there any stable relationships on this show?  Besides the platonic Will/Gunnar friendship, I'd like to see the more familial Deacon/Scarlet relationship develop further.  And Juliette desperately needs a friend who will love her unconditionally yet still call her out on her crap (my first choice is her personal assistant, who has never been anything but supportive yet whom we hardly know, and who Juliette seems to notice only when she needs something).

But that the paternity test dated from a time when she'd have no reason to really believe that Deacon would get sober  and stay sober, so I cannot figure out why she would have kept it.  

Because that kept it real.  She loved Deacon.  She never stopped loving Deacon.  She just couldn't live with his addict.

I prefer to think it was because Rayna intended to tell Maddie the truth at some point, and she needed the proof.  This story is, or should be, about Maddie first and Rayna/Deacon second.  At the point of the season finale, it seems Rayna, Deacon, and Teddy are too caught up in their own drama to recognize, much less address, the pain and confusion Maddie must be feeling.

And, of course, I want to see more Maddie and Daphne period, with Rayna, Teddy, AND Deacon.  Lennon and Maisy Stella are more experienced singers than actors,but the only way to grow as an actor is to act.  Maddie is in the center of a drama created by the three most important adults in her life, and at some point she deserves to express a point of view.

Edited by jatg61, Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:26 PM.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

My opinion, and it's just my opinion, is that keeping the paternity test means NOTHING. Absolutely nothing.

The writers wanted a plot device. They wanted Maddie to find a smoking gun. This is what they came up with. It makes no sense- of course! It's purpose only extended to that episode, that the writers needed to solve a problem, this was their solution, damn making sense or continuity. 

It's part and parcel of the writing problems of the show, lack of continuity with events, situations, and characters. I really hope next season the writers are kinder to us by making more sense!

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 9:04 AM

I hope that Chris Carmack is back next season, I never thought about how unwelcoming country music might be for a gay man, I think it's an interesting storyline to follow.

They will need to cast a middle aged woman manager -- that's who the gay country boys marry to stay in the closet. 

peaceb2u

peaceb2u

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

I know some people don't want to label the show a soap, but that's what it is, a night time soap. Personally I like that.

Just finished Season 1.  I am at peace with myself that:  1.  It is a soap and 2.  I like it.  Not everything needs to be innerlekshual