13-12: "One of Us Will Win, but Not by Much" 2013.05.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

165 replies to this topic

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

The point was about the Blue Man Group -  in the previous season, Penn had said that the integrity of the artistry would be compromised because the Blue Men were "not of this world" (or some such crap)  and therefore could perform, but could not donate money. 

So this season,he proved that it was a lot of B.S. since a Blue man donated money.

Actually, what Penn said about the Blue Man Group on his podcast was slightly different.  The gist was that money isn't part of the Blue Man Group's "world," in character.  Not that they couldn't donate money, but that, to them, U.S. currency is just colored paper that they might use as a prop or object.  Thus the presentation of the money as folded up triangles in jello earlier.

He also made an interesting behind-the-scenes revelation about the Blue Man Group - they basically have a hidden "director" who communicates with them from the crowd in public events like this.  To do their kind of synchronized movement, it's necessary to have someone like that, apparently.  Anyway, you can apparently see this guy in the "celebrity art" episode and see a little bit about how they work.

All that being said, yeah, if it was just a Blue Man with a check, that would seem to be inconsistent with earlier explanations.  Maybe it was part of a bit we didn't see, or they just said "Eh, we don't have a bit for this, so here's a check?"

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

All that being said, yeah, if it was just a Blue Man with a check, that would seem to be inconsistent with earlier explanations. Maybe it was part of a bit we didn't see, or they just said "Eh, we don't have a bit for this, so here's a check?"

Yeah, there seemed to be a lot going on at that party that the camera glossed over.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if the delivery was part of a bit.  But I have to admit Penn got a little preachy about art after all that, when all he had to say was "They wanted to stay in character.  Deal with it."

Caty

Caty

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

No one is going to replace Trump without his blessing.  He's an executive producer of the Apprentice shows along with Mark Burnett.  He loves the limelight and it's his show.

Martha Stewart found that out in the cruelest way.  She and Donald were good chums until she launched The Apprentice in 2005.  Then a cold chilly windstorm blew in as Donald deeply resented that Martha produced a knock off  from his concept and even worse, attaching her own brand to it.  The Apprentice lasted only one season and it seems that their relationship has since healed.

So this season,he proved that it was a lot of B.S. since a Blue man donated money.

Remember last season when BMG was responsible for losing cash for team Unanimous.  What a gaffe, stuffing balloons with cash and bursting them.  Aiken was pissed as quite a bit of that was never recovered!   So, for this season's finale, Penn didn't go for any tricks or theatrics accompanying BMG's presentation of the stash lest it blow up in his face. http://vimeo.com/39611452

Edited by Caty, May 25, 2013 @ 12:56 AM.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 8:40 AM

Penn's summation of "the Blue Man Group" incident from his book, Every Day Is an Atheist Holiday:

The “boardroom” didn’t matter. Clay lowballed the amount of money we were able to gather, but I didn’t argue. Clay said that the Blue Man Group’s money that Clay wanted to go to our TV charity had ended up going to some homeless people. Trump joined him, disgusted by the idea that some of the Blue Man Group’s money might have gone to people who needed it instead of the people Donald Trump would get credit for giving it to who needed it. Trying to explain to Donald Trump that beauty and art can be more important than money is like trying to explain to Donald Trump that beauty and art can be more important than money. The “contest” was revealed to be very close (in terms of money, beauty wasn’t discussed) and Donald Trump tried to make me say that I regretted what the Blue Man Group had done. Clay tried to get me to say that I should have gotten the Blue Man Group to be more responsible, and by that he meant, give us more money so he could win his game.

It was during this episode that Donald Trump understood that he didn’t understand me, and feeling misunderstood by Donald Trump and Clay Aiken is its own kind of joy.

Jillette, Penn (2012-11-13). Every Day is an Atheist Holiday!: More Magical Tales from the Author of God, No! (p. 255). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 10:18 AM

Mod Reminder: Stick to talking about this episode in this thread, please. Thanks.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 10:31 AM

Sorry, I thought it seemed pertinent on the discussion point of "So what factors might have made Penn lose in this episode?"

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

Was in Walgreens yesterday, thought I'd ask about the Apprentice flavors. They will not be restocked. If you can still find them, grab 'em now.

RealityJunkie10

RealityJunkie10

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

Was in Walgreens yesterday, thought I'd ask about the Apprentice flavors. They will not be restocked. If you can still find them, grab 'em now.

How odd!  And after they paid all that money to be on Celebrity Apprentice....makes me wonder if something went wrong.  I could barely find Penn's flavor before the finale so I'm sure its all gone at this point.

Snapple still sells Bret's super delicious diet snapple flavor which is on my top 5 list of diet drinks.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 5:32 AM

There did seem to be some quality control issues with the Swirtle ice cream, as I think was noted above.  Both pints that I bought had one really large hunk of chocolate (like, bigger than a teaspoon) mixed in.

I happened to buy Bret's Snapple a few weeks ago when I felt like having an iced tea, but they didn't have the diet raspberry or lemon I usually get.  I didn't even realize it was a "celebrity creation" until I bought it, and I don't believe the bottle indicated any association with Celebrity Apprentice.

Are there any supermarket-available ice creams that are kinda-sorta like Penn's flavor?  I really like that sea salt chocolate....

Edited by dconner, May 27, 2013 @ 5:33 AM.

mayaroo

mayaroo

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

How odd!  And after they paid all that money to be on Celebrity Apprentice....makes me wonder if something went wrong.  I could barely find Penn's flavor before the finale so I'm sure its all gone at this point.

According to Penn on his Sunday School podcast, the ice cream was only meant to be available for the week after the task episode aired, so yes -- if there are any in your local, buy them.

Edited by mayaroo, May 28, 2013 @ 12:19 AM.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 3:32 AM

The clerk at Walgreen's said these special flavors would be available only until May 29th, so get 'em while you can.  I loved the maple macadamia, and hated Penn's for its ordinariness.

RealityJunkie10

RealityJunkie10

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

dconner - was thinking about you when I was at Target in the grocery aisle the other day.  Hagen Daaz seems to have something like Penns flavor called "Sea Salt Caramel Truffle"  Its a limited edition flavor so I hope you find it and like it!

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

RealityJunkie10 - Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

A little more specialized, but Schwann's is offering Sea salt caramel and cashew. Limited edition Edy's for summer Salted Caramel Pretzel, not sure if that's sea salt though. And apparantly sea salt ice cream is a thing in the Kingdom Hearts game so there are lots of recipes online to make your own

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

Guys, this is not a general ice cream thread.

EmeraldRose

EmeraldRose

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 4:34 AM

Did Penn and Trace each get to keep the $$ for their charities or was it combined for Trace's charity?