Reign: Gossip Girl Goes to the Ren Faire

• Please log in to reply

1097 replies to this topic

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Hidden between the lines of the history books is the story of Mary Stuart, the young woman the world would come to know as Mary, Queen of Scots. Queen of Scotland since she was six days old, the teenage Mary is already a headstrong monarch; beautiful, passionate, and poised at the very beginning of her tumultuous rise to power. Arriving in France with four close friends as her ladies-in-waiting, Mary has been sent to secure Scotland’s strategic alliance by formalizing her arranged engagement to the French king’s dashing son, Prince Francis. But the match isn’t signed and sealed, it depends more on politics, religion and secret agendas than affairs of the heart. Prince Francis is intrigued by the fiery Scot, but like most young men, he resists the idea of settling down into marriage, especially when he has a history with a lady of the court and his own point of view on the wisdom of an alliance with Scotland. Still, an attraction between Mary and Francis is ignited. Further complicating things is Bash, Francis’ roguish half-brother, who has a history of his own: despite his illegitimate birth, Bash is his father’s favorite. And now that Bash has caught Mary’s eye, a royal triangle may be forming. While at French Court, fierce foes and dark forces conspire to sabotage Mary’s marriage to Francis and even threaten her life, until a mysterious shrouded guide becomes her ally. With danger and sexual intrigue around every dark castle corner, Mary rallies her ladies-in-waiting and steels herself, ready to rule the new land and balance the demands of her country and her heart.

Sneak peek and preview here:

http://www.tvwise.co...-the-cws-reign/

The CW must think this has promise, because they've surprisingly given it the coveted timeslot on Thursdays at 9 p.m. after the Vampire Diaries.

This looks like a total hot mess (lol, "a royal triangle may be forming"). But I'm sure I'll be watching for the trainwreck factor at least. You history buffs should have fun with this one.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

This looks like a total hot mess (lol, "a royal triangle may be forming"). But I'm sure I'll be watching for the trainwreck factor at least. You history buffs should have fun with this one.

I was thinking I might watch just to see if they tried to do accents. Would they have a sixteen year old get married or age her up? Would they have first cousins marry or make that union distant cousins or not related?

However, I watched the clip and that is an accident so horrible that I can't rubberneck it. I won't be watching.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

Is this what "The Tudors" has led to? Mary, Queen of Scots, the CW years?

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

Mary, Teen Of Scots.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

If Mary still had her head to see this she'd probably turn in her grave.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 4:52 AM

So the premise of the show is a love triangle between Mary, Francis and his bastard brother. I can see why they put this after The Vampire Diaries.

I was kind of surprised The CW picked this over their latest attempt at The Selection, but apparently Reign came in much stronger. So instead of a The Hunger Games/Game of Thrones/The Bachelor mash up we do indeed probably have Showtime's The Tudors to thank for Mary, Teen of Scots. (Great name).

It will be a trainwreck but a cracktastic one so I'll tune in for a few eps at least.

divinecomedy

divinecomedy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 5:14 AM

he resists the idea of settling down into marriage,

Ehm, that's what people did at that time, especially if they were a child of a monarch. Stupid.

Further complicating things is Bash, Francis’ roguish half-brother

Bash? Are they serious? What kind of name is it? He didn't have any half brother with that name.

Okay, this is going to be unintentionally funny. And the costumes look awful and nothing like people actually wore in that period of time. 

Edited by divinecomedy, May 19, 2013 @ 5:16 AM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 7:39 AM

Oh, wow.  There are stuffed animals that aren't as fluffy and empty as the promo makes this look...then again, it was probably just a matter of time before The CW leveraged their Pretty People With (Prettier) Problems action plan against a historical/quasi-genre template.  That said, I may have to check out the first episode or two just to see how much of a hot mess it turns out to be.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

If anyone's interested, the script is posted here:

http://www.spoilertv...ead-script.html

So far its about what you'd expect.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

I am going to be all over this show, because I haven't seen anything so hilariously awful actually get to series in years. Everything that could possibly go wrong with a histoical drama is here - low budget, terrible costumes, dumb dialogue. It's clearly got nothing to do with history - Mary spent her whole childhood at court and grew up with Francis, she didn't leave when she was little and then later come back. 

This is going to be so, so terrible. And so funny.

Oh, God. I just read that script (thanks Featherhat). Mary, Queen of Scots. Playing football. With nuns. I love to hate this show already.

Bash - such a traditional French nickname for Sebastian. Right. Plus... Hank. Oh, God. There's a French prince named Hank. Mary's ladies, Beaton, Seton, Fleming and Livingston (who's first names were all Mary too) are now called Kenna, Aillie, Greer and Lola.

The storyline is horrible, but I won't spoil it. The people making this show are clearly fighting the historical setting as hard as possible. Why can't France in 1557 just be exactly like 21st century America anyway?

As to the trailer - Mary shouldn't be complimenting Francis on his height - the real Mary was around 6ft tall herself. And ginger. The only good thing is that they didn't make the actress do a terrible Scottish accent (instead of a terrible English RP accent) - because Mary never did sound Scottish at all. She sounded completely French. That was one reason for her lack of popularity after she moved back. So that's actually ok.

I can't wait until Elizabeth Tudor, AKA the Ultimate Mean Girl turns up to be nasty to Mary. You know it's going to happen.

Edited by Lebanna, May 19, 2013 @ 10:47 AM.

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

I can't wait until Elizabeth Tudor, AKA the Ultimate Mean Girl turns up to be nasty to Mary. You know it's going to happen.

YES! They'll probably have to battle it out in field hockey!

I assume that they'll all be communicating via ittle notes carried by pigeons that they'll refer to as 'tweets'.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

And after reading that script...Paratroper's on to something, methinks.  And I want to wash out my brain with some episodes of Kings.

All hail Mary, Teen of Scots!

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

Bash - such a traditional French nickname for Sebastian. Right. Plus... Hank. Oh, God. There's a French prince named Hank. Mary's ladies, Beaton, Seton, Fleming and Livingston (who's first names were all Mary too) are now called Kenna, Aillie, Greer and Lola.

I know, I groaned out loud when I saw "Prince Hank" I really hope someone changes it to Henri in the actual show. And the ladies-in-waiting and the football....I absolutely think Elizabeth's going to turn up for a banquet at some point.

I assume that they'll all be communicating via little notes carried by pigeons that they'll refer to as 'tweets'.

Grin, perfect.

I really hope this show is as cracktastic as it seems on paper, I'm going to have a lot of fun with it. If it's just bad I won't bother.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 1:46 AM

Why couldn't they make this show some kind of quasi-historic fantasy (say, GoT-lite) rather than a straight-up historical drama? It's not like this has anything to do with real history, from the looks of it.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

Hidden between the lines of the history books is the story of Mary Stuart, the young woman the world would come to know as Mary, Queen of ScotsQueen of Scotland since she was six days old

When you get it right the first time don't then keep digging and screw it up - Queen of Scots  right  ,Queen of Scotland wrong .

Oh, God. I just read that script (thanks Featherhat). Mary, Queen of Scots. Playing football. With nuns. I love to hate this show already.

Historically not that much of a stretch - fitbaw playing penguins sounds hysterical though .

As to the trailer - Mary shouldn't be complimenting Francis on his height - the real Mary was around 6ft tall herself. And ginger. The only good thing is that they didn't make the actress do a terrible Scottish accent (instead of a terrible English RP accent) - because Mary never did sound Scottish at all. She sounded completely French. That was one reason for her lack of popularity after she moved back. So that's actually ok.

But they have done the whole moving back to Scotland and then back to France bit though .So given that they went that way, as a Scot it pisses me off no end that they couldn't cast a Scots actress in the role (there has never been a potrayal of Mary by a Scot in any of the versions on TV or in film) but they go for some Aussie actress (from the other Perth) who can't do accents - and I do have a problem with her having a RP accent ,even Jessica Lange's horrendous effort would have been preferable and I'm guessing that none of the '4 Marys' will be Scottish either .I mean its not as if we don't have 3 languages of our own outside of English .

Mary's mother's Regency ,the terms of her marriage contract with Francis(which basically ceded Scottish independence to France),the constant state of warfare and political machinations between pro French Catholics and the Protestants (many of whose leaders and ministers were sent off to be slaves in the French galleys) backed by the English ,her refusal to sign the peace treaty between Scotland/France and England that brought the fighting to and end as she had to give up her claim to the English throne( the claim that eventually led to her losing her heid) are what led to the initial distrust of her not her accent .And her downfall was her decision to marry the guy who murdered her husband within weeks of the act .

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

This actually looks like the worst TV show in all of TV history.  Being a big English history fan, particularly the Tudors and Stuarts, I think Mary's story could have made for great television, but Mary Teen of Scots is not the way to do it.  What a shame.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

Mary, Queen of Scots. Playing football. With nuns.

Oh dear.  Now I'm going to have to watch the pilot, at the very least, just to see this. 

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

Probably, and I'm sure they will leave out the part where Mary tells virtually everyone that Elizabeth is just a bastard and has no right to the throne of England and that Mary should have it instead. And then Mary was shocked, shocked I tell you when she went to Elizabeth for help after the Scots threw her out and Elizabeth put her away where she had less chance of taking over the throne. (Not a Mary fan. Go Elizabeth!).

I will say that there is a potentially very interesting story here.  Mary did have an interesting life, but I really doubt we will see any of the real stuff.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 6:10 AM

E! has named this one of their top fall shows, as does TVline:

http://uk.eonline.co...-the-cw-s-reign

http://tvline.com/20...w-cw-fall-2013/

And more about how they're going to take elements of history and create their own versions. 

http://www.hollywood...her-show-595499

I’m embarrassed to admit how much I’m looking forward to this, but in an extremely cracked, hot mess way, considering that was my opinion of the pilot script (And not just how it played with history). I’m just fascinated about how the CW will do this. But if it does have a charismatic lead in Adelaide Kane it could become guilty pleasure status.

Not a Mary fan. Go Elizabeth!

I'm not that much of a Mary fan either, but her life is interesting. 

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

What amuses me to no end is that the pilot was largely filmed in Ireland--and the series itself is being shot in friggin' Toronto.  That can only enhance the hot messitude of the whole thing, IMO, though the fact that they're blatantly saying they're going off on a The Tudors-esque tangent from history is a sort of mitigating circumstance.  If nothing else it might be an interesting diversion from the telenovelas running in that timeslot...

AzraelKay

AzraelKay

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

I was kind of surprised The CW picked this over their latest attempt at The Selection, but apparently Reign came in much stronger. So instead of a The Hunger Games/Game of Thrones/The Bachelor mash up we do indeed probably have Showtime's The Tudors to thank for Mary, Teen of Scots. (Great name).

Ugg, I am still bitter about that one.  I really liked the Selection books.  But then again, I don't think I was all that jazzed about some of the cast choices so maybe it is better that the pilot didn't get picked up.

I'm not sure if I will give this show a shot or not - basically will come down to whether I have anything else to do or not!

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

It was a surprise that they passed on The Selection, especially as this was the 2nd go round. I can’t say I thought much of the book when I read it but it seems to be popular. The first go was apparently too Disney/fluffy even for the CW and this year’s was supposedly just bad. The script tried very hard to be more “GOT” and “Hunger Games-y” than “The Bachelor” but it was still only so-so IMO. IT started with a sex scene involving the prince a chambermaid and his mother walking in and kept up the same tone from there. This one had

Spoiler
all in the pilot so I guess it came down to actors maybe?

I'm surprised they didn't keep filming in Ireland, The Tudors did, but its probably a cost consideration, especially as they hope to go the full 22. Does Toronto have any houses they can even pretend are French/Irish castles? Or are we having a stock of establishing shot and/or green screen. 

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

E! has named this one of their top fall shows, as does TVline:

The early reviews have been surprisingly positive. I was planning to watch for the trainwreck factor, but now I'm thinking this might be a trashy guilty pleasure. I just hope it's not one of those shows that starts off as a good guilty pleasure, then starts taking itself too seriously. I hate that.

Adelaide Kane was surprisingly decent on Teen Wolf, especially considering the paper-thin material she was given to work with.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

As a history nerd, no idea how I missed this one. I'd far rather we got an Elizabeth I series, but I'm in.

waving feather

waving feather

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 1:14 AM

Adelaide Kane was surprisingly decent on Teen Wolf, especially considering the paper-thin material she was given to work with.

I thought Adelaide Kane was horrible on Teen Wolf. Granted, her character is a cypher but her acting is still not up to standard (even by Teen Wolf standards!) I'm willing to give her a second chance though.

OMG, that preview clip is hilariously bad. It'll be another good show to snark on, following the footsteps of The Following & Under the Dome. I'm willing to catch a few episodes as long as it doesn't become boringly bad. First of all, that blonde girl on Mary's right looked like she just walked off the set of Gossip Girl during one of their fancy dinner parties. Right down to the make-up, clothes and hair.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

What amuses me to no end is that the pilot was largely filmed in Ireland--and the series itself is being shot in friggin' Toronto.

That explains all the Canadian actors in this :  Megan Follows, Torrance Coombs (who I believe was also in The Tudors), Rossif Sutherland (who I could listen to for days and is nice eye candy) and I'm sure more that I can't be bothered to check out.

I'll be checking this out at least for the pilot.  They've been running promos of this endlessly on MuchMore Music up here in Canada with Royals, at least I think that's the name of the song in the background. 

Zima

Zima

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

I just saw a commercial for this show, and I have to say, I'm both pissed off and curious. I love historical dramas, even if they are somewhat inaccurate with events and such. However, CW shows are mostly plain awful, and to throw history into the mix has me cringing in fearful anticipation. I will definitely be watching the pilot at least. I do love watching beautiful people, as long as the acting, script, setting, etc are decent. 

Souris

Souris

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

This actually looks like the worst TV show in all of TV history.

Well, no, that would be "Super Fun Night." But this is dreadful. Or at least the 15 or so minutes that I managed to sit through were dreadful. Apparently they're retooling the pilot a bit, but I can't see how they can fix it without rewriting and reshooting the entire thing. The thread title has it pretty spot-on. Except instead of the Ren Faire, the Gossip Girls go to a generic princess prom. The costumes are not even remotely historically accurate. I doubt much of anything is, besides a few character names. When

Spoiler
, my brain almost trickled out of my ear. It's really bad. If you must watch, watch only to mock.

Edited by Souris, Sep 23, 2013 @ 4:46 PM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 1:31 AM

Yeah looking at these promo photos they're going for a generic pretty princess prom look for everyone.

http://www.tvguide.c...1071152/1071159

I still have hopes this is going to so cracked out its awesome rather than just bad.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

Right there with you, Featherhat<looks at pictures>  Oh, dear lord, it IS Gossip Girl Renaissance.  Even Nostradamus kinda looks like he should be tooling around in a Porsche bitching about #prophecyproblems or something.