7-14: "The Name of the Doctor" 2013.05.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

244 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 8:44 PM

This is getting off the topic of the episode.

Since older threads are archived, I'm going to start an "All Seasons" discussion thread. Please take further discussion of multiple eps/seasons/Doctors to that thread. Thanks.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

I figured it was coming, but when the Doctor grabbed River's hand, I still got a lump in my throat.  I loved that send off, very emotional.   I'll miss that insane chemistry between Alex and Matt.

In regards to the Hurt Doctor, he was wearing the leather jacket so I'm figuring he is 8.5 or 9 or whatever.  It's going to be a mess sorting all this out due to the upcoming regen.

So we've set up the Doctor's death, will we ever see it?  I'm reeeeaaallllyyy curious as to what went down and what the planet was like before the "little skirmish".

When the Doctor died, he just managed to turn himself into a bright timestream thing?  Or is his actual body buried under there?  I didn't quite get that.

MarkHB

MarkHB

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

I think Time itself did that to him; it's probably common to Time Lords, although most didn't travel as extensively as he did.

geillis

geillis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

As for Hurt playing an older version of Eight . . . makes sense, but the audio range has Paul McGann in a leather jacket, and he'd be the one going into the Time War. Can't have that Doctor going into the War To End All Wars, No, For Reals in a foppish costume, right?

ETA: I know . . . audio isn't the canon. I just like Eight's new look. And, in brief: ten regenerations, eleven Doctors. That's what I believe.

The Big Finish Audios may not be canon, but as far as the new look for the Eighth Doctor on the covers, Paul McGann said in an interview I saw on YouTube that the look was ok'd by the BBC.  It makes sense anyway that the doctor would go into the Tardis and change clothes after leaving Grace.  He only was wearing the late 19th century garb because he was naked in a shroud when he regenerated. Those were the clothes he found in the locker of the the guy who was going to a New's Year's Eve party that was also a costume party.

I also cannot believe that the John Hurt character is an older version of Eight.  Paul McGann also has said in interviews that he has never been approached for any involvement in the 50th anniversary specials. Since he was most likely available, why would they recast him?  He has aged (and he still looks great) so he would be an older version of himself from the 1996 movie.

Edited by geillis, Jul 17, 2013 @ 11:33 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

I also cannot believe that the John Hurt character is an older version of Eight. Paul McGann also has said in interviews that he has never been approached for any involvement in the 50th anniversary specials. Since he was most likely available, why would they recast him?  He has aged (and he still looks great) so he would be an older version of himself from the 1996 movie.

I'm doubtful he is an older version of Eight. I wonder why he wasn't approached? Eight needs some rehabilitation imo because most people I think only remember the tv movie. He was a guest star on Ripper Street recently. He's aged well, and his acting chops are still very good.

I'm assuming we're all wrong about everything, but it seems like for a 50th anniversary special, only the last 15% of show is being featured, if in fact Ten is there and it's about the Time War.