Intelligence: The Lost Robot

• Please log in to reply

472 replies to this topic

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:15 AM

I could be totally wrong, but I had first thought that the final scene with Lillian and the kid, was suppose to reveal that Amelia set this whole thing up, and wasn't actually dead.  She wanted Gabriel to believe she was gone for good, and the explosion we saw was something else.  But I guess it would make more sense that she simply is dead, and the tag scene is Lillian not wanting Gabriel to know she wasn't a traitor.  On one hand, I'm find with her being dead, because it's a different direction compared to just dragging this out like most shows would do.  On the other hand, damnit!  What does Zuleikha Robinson have to do to get a steady gig?!

So, I ended up watching this instead of The Blacklist, and I think I'll continue to do so, despite it's weaknesses.  Better then the pilot, so that's a good sign, but interestingly, the two leads swapped with me this time around.  This time, I found Gabriel annoying, cliched, and at times even stupid, while Riley was kind of awesome.  Not perfect, but I like that she doesn't back down from Gabriel or Lillian, and doesn't doubt her gut reactions.  And, again, comparing it to it's time-slot rival, Meghan Ory can at least match Josh Holloway, IMO, while The Blacklist is just James Spader walking all over Megan Boone, without even trying.  But I do wonder how is Gabriel/Riley going to be like moving forward?  It will be weird if they're already back to playfully bickering with each other, after what transpired in this episode.

I continue to love Dr. Cassidy, even though I still want to call him Dr. Phlox.  But did they just hire his son back?  They never really explained what he did in the pilot,  Was he always working there, or did he quit with his dad, but now both of them returned?  

The opening credits still are incredibly lame.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:38 AM

Not a huge deal, but twice in the episode Riley had the "Button" dead to rights and twice she lost him. "Halt!" He doesn't halt, then clicks the detonator, and she STILL doesn't shoot? Huh?

Ariah1

Ariah1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 4:13 AM

I think it was pretty good of them to actually kill the wife (however I adore the actress). They've got rid of that plot line pretty quick (I'm still waiting for Sleepy Hollow, a far superior show, to get rid of their "wife" character).

The show moves at good pace for me. It seems that the Chinese agent will appear in the next episode. A few years ago, the show would drag that story till mid-season.

I feel kind of weird, because i really like this show - like a guilty pleasure sort of thing.

But I don't know why, i couldn't shake the feeling how much Lillian looked like post-surgery Michael Jackson.

JayKay

JayKay

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 5:03 AM

I unexpectedly enjoyed it. Gabriel's personality is still more smarm than charm and I do. Not. Care. About his wife!angst, but I thought the rest of the cast and the environment was low-key charming and naturally gelled well. And the odd but sad scene where Gabriel replayed catching sight of his wife at the end piqued my interest about the premise and what the chip can do. I think I'm going to enjoy watching the mentorship and mutual respect between Lillian and Riley, too. This show could shape up to be something I genuinely look forward to every week.

I don't buy that Amelia is dead, though. We didn't watch her die and didn't see a body. I don't know how she could have escaped that explosion but this is a show with a guy who can GPS track cabbies in his head. I don't think that story is over yet, as trite as it is. There was a line of Lillian's to Gabriel about how she wished that Amelia wasn't involved and she very sincerely and pointedly stressed "you know I do," and it made me think that Lillian might have known Amelia fairly well before she "disappeared." Maybe I'm reading it wrong, though.

I could be totally wrong, but I had first thought that the final scene with Lillian and the kid, was suppose to reveal that Amelia set this whole thing up, and wasn't actually dead.  She wanted Gabriel to believe she was gone for good, and the explosion we saw was something else.

I suspected that at first too, and I could see Lillian maybe working with Amelia in some capacity to either convince Gabriel of her death as you theorized and/or some broader collusion that involves Amelia's deep cover. And I have been a sufferer of Helgenberger Syndrome in the past, but there was some warmth to her here that caught me off guard. I actually like her character more than Josh Holloway's, also unexpectedly.

Finally, for some reason I found Riley's immediate taking to the term "Button" for the perp to be adorable. It was like a lightbulb went off over her head and she couldn't wait to use this cool new spy word. She seems kind of dorky under all of the professionalism and I enjoy that quirk in badass female agents.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 7:48 AM

Ouch - this has some plotholes that even I can't wave away and I am usually Magician Level at that.

How does the top Delta Force dog ever end up in an extended elevator fight with some bent-on-revenge suicide bomber who has no special ops training as far as  I know?  It should have been one of those insta-choke holds and Mr. Terrorist is done.  The rest of the CBS Special Forces Fraternity should be very put out.

So the guy at the Muslim Community Center (sorry - missed the proper name) did not see Amelia only the two men, but the kid talked her there?  And apparently anyone can wander in there and have a one-on-one with a child and no one raises an eyebrow.

Riley's pantsuits did not make it to episode 2.  I'm undecided on her shoes - they aren't the classical impractical high heels that TV action type women often wear, but they do seem to be booties with pretty substantial clunky heels.

I think it was in the previews for the next ep that they had Holloway doing the voiceover.  The voice sounded substantially more Sawyerish than Gabriel's does on the show.  Of course, Josh Holloway spent some time growing up in Georgia, so Sawyer's voice may pretty much be his normal speaking voice (don't know - never saw him outside of a role).

ETA:  I'm guessing Gabriel's comment in bed about "always being connected to the internet" when his wife's smartphone went off was supposed to be a sly foreshadowing statement for him.  Fail.

Edited by cosmom, Jan 14, 2014 @ 9:27 AM.

Homo_Sapien

Homo_Sapien

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 8:21 AM

Seems like a run-of-the-mill, standard CBS gimmick procedural : main character with baggage, partnered with potential love interest, tough but caring boss, and lab geeks. 

I do like the irony that even with a chip in his head Holloway doesn't come off as the smartest person in the room. 

Maybe they can nickname him Suri and ask where is the closest Starbucks when they are out in the field. 

At least we don't have to spend the entire series looking for his wife (hopefully). Looks like they will just spend the entire series trying to clear her name and figure out the vast conspiracy that led to her death (cause you know there has to be one).

Edited by Homo_Sapien, Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:50 AM.

miracole

miracole

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

After being disappointed by most of the scifi offerings this season I will say this show is one of the better ones(so far). I like the characters and their interactions, also the plot executions have been serviceable. Added bonus it keeps me from hate watching The Blacklist.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:00 PM

This feels like I'm watching Person of Interest.   I'm not a big fan of POI and so far this isn't even as good as that.   CBS has a formula for most of their shows and it works ratings wise but as a viewer its just so ho hum.  

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:05 PM

How does the top Delta Force dog ever end up in an extended elevator fight with some bent-on-revenge suicide bomber who has no special ops training as far as  I know?  It should have been one of those insta-choke holds and Mr. Terrorist is done.  The rest of the CBS Special Forces Fraternity should be very put out.

This bugged me too. Gabriel is supposed to be the elite of the elite right? And he was kinda getting his ass kicked by random terrorist until he kicked him down the elevator shaft.

Not a huge deal, but twice in the episode Riley had the "Button" dead to rights and twice she lost him. "Halt!" He doesn't halt, then clicks the detonator, and she STILL doesn't shoot? Huh?

My other major problem with the show. She really needed to take the shot. Compare it to The Blacklist where Agent Keane shoots first, says halt second.

Ratings were abysmal last night, unless CBS moves it, it's done.

Bezerker

Bezerker

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:08 PM

Hard to believe how much the ratings fell

16M on Tuesday, repeat on Friday gets close to 5M, last night 6M.  I was expecting a fall to like 10M viewers but wow.  Question is not will it get cancelled but will they let it run it's coarse for the rest of the season

Edited by Bezerker, Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:09 PM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

Are there any examples of a show that premiers on one night, is moved to another, and then succeeds?  Do audiences actually know to follow shows when networks pull this?

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 5:14 PM

Well, it did get adjusted up in the finals, but still: those ratings are just plain awful.  Clearly a lot of the viewership for the pilot was just Nielson viewers not changing the channel after NCIS.  Without that and it going against The Blacklist and Castle, this show is clearly going to be doomed. I'll keep watching, but I'm already preparing for this to be short endeavor.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

Aside from the axiom of no body = not really dead, I was still confused as to what team the wife was playing for. If she was, as Gabriel insisted, deep undercover, wouldn't luring him to the hospital likely be the end of him??

Edited by shapeshifter, Jan 14, 2014 @ 6:56 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 6:55 PM

It was better than the pilot, and I'm glad the wife is (maybe) out of the way, but it's still kind of boring. Glad to see Dr. Phlox and his son are back to work for them. I might stick around just for him.

shura

shura

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 8:25 PM

I was still confused as to what team the wife was playing for. If she was, as Gabriel insisted, deep undercover, wouldn't luring him to the hospital likely be the end of him??

Also, if you go ahead and blow up innocent people (or assist with doing so), what difference does it make whether you are undercover or not? You are a terrorist by definition.

So the show lost almost all of its viewers by the second episode, huh? I didn't think the pilot was good, certainly not 16 million good, but I didn't think it was THAT bad, either. Six million viewers seems a bit low. Talk about bloated expectations for the pilot. People basically got duped into tuning in to see Sawyer and maybe a good show, different from the rest of CBS content. Instead, it's just the same thing as everything else, the only difference being that the hero doesn't have to call anybody to look up stuff, he just knows it instead. Which, actually, may be more boring to watch than if he talked to people to learn things, and Gabriel surely is way more boring than Sawyer. I could watch Meghan Ory all day though, no matter what she does. Well, maybe this thing will right itself somehow.

wayne67

wayne67

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 9:01 PM

I honestly have no idea if I want to watch another episode of this show. I like/tolerate all the other characters except for Gabriel who just comes across as some whiny brat who throws a temper tantrum whenever he doesn't get his own way. At least Chuck and Jake 2.0 had relatively normal people being upgraded and then having to learn to adjust to the craziness that resulted and that made them at least partially interesting characters I could relate to. I dont like or get this character, he's a soldier in the US government who doesn't seem to like taking orders and seems to have trouble grasping the fairly basic concept of service to his country. I could understand if he was in his early 20's and he had let the chip power up go to his head but he's 30 something , managed to get through delta training and 7 years of dealing with having a chip in his brain and he should have developed a bit of maturity or at least the concept of bargaining. How about instead of whining and sulking and going off half cocked all the time, you actually try and prioritise the lives of citizens over your girlfriend that ditched you 7 years ago. Color me bored.

The premise isn't overly novel what with Chuck and Jake 2.0 and the likes of 6 million dollar man and bionic woman having already explored the super agent concept , I'm thinking I'll give it one more episode to find it's feet and then I'll just abandon it. I just cant handle another middle aged man acting like a teenager with self control issues , Almost Human already has that slot in my viewing schedule and I'm only watching that hoping that the robots rebel and try and conquer the world for comedic/novelty value. 

Myrrhine

Myrrhine

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:19 PM

Also, if you go ahead and blow up innocent people (or assist with doing so), what difference does it make whether you are undercover or not? You are a terrorist by definition.

I thought that she planted the ticket to tip off the USCC that the hospital was the next target, so that they would clear the hospital and casualties would be avoided. As to why she was helping the button at the office building or why she apparently ate a bunch of explosives or if she really was brainwashed into an alliance with the terrorists, I have no clue.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:23 PM

That makes sense, Myrrhine.  I'm guessing she isn't really dead either.  

This episode was better than the pilot, but there isn't really that much to look forward to in terms of intrigue/payoff.  The wife thing isn't enough of a draw.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:35 AM

I wish the person in charge were consistent about whether or not Gabriel is allowed to look for his wife. Last episode she traded valuable enemy agents for 'Hey, Amelia might be alive according to some other people.' 

shura

shura

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 9:03 AM

I thought that she planted the ticket to tip off the USCC that the hospital was the next target, so that they would clear the hospital and casualties would be avoided.

Yep, that's how I took it, too. A pretty half-assed attempt to avoid casualties if you ask me. She could not realistically be sure that Gabriel was going find that kid and clear the hospital in time. Or did she monitor him somehow and only went to the hospital and started ticking when she was certain Gabriel is on his way there?

What's USCC, by the way? Cyber Command? Google helpfully offers "US Composting Council".

Edited by shura, Jan 15, 2014 @ 9:03 AM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 10:11 AM

She could not realistically be sure that Gabriel was going find that kid and clear the hospital in time. Or did she monitor him somehow and only went to the hospital and started ticking when she was certain Gabriel is on his way there?

I couldn't figure out how she might possibly know he'd be on the case.  And if she was monitoring him (in whatever mystical fashion they wish to create), his being tied into all things electronic should tip him to the fact that he's being monitored.

I'm hoping we only have residual Amelia angst from this point on (although not chronic manpain).  I'm fine with her being MIA and now DOA.  Move on please.

Edited by cosmom, Jan 15, 2014 @ 10:11 AM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

I kind of hated this episode which is too bad since I liked the pilot alright. I thought the doctor guy was Gabriel's surrogate father? He certainly didn't act like it tonight. 

I didn't like the son insisting that his father get to the point. The father had said that there was .5 in the explosion, .6 in the attempted explosino, and 1.1 still missing. The doctor was clearly assuming everyone in the room wasn't an idiot and could understand that there was enough for two similar explosions or one even bigger one. 

“It’s my call.” Really? It's Gabriel and Gabriel alone who gets to decide if his wife is in any way inconvenienced for being a terrorist? MAYBE she's deep under cover and no one told them? If she was them not treating her like she's really bad hurts her cover. I know that he's supposed to not be thinking rationally since it's his wife but it's too early in the show and not earned so I don't feel like he's a normally levelheaded guy getting in too deep here but he's just reckless and irresponsible on the whole.

He accused Riley of having her first instinct be to shoot? Really? Like when she had her gun and said 'drop it or I'll shoot' and he didn't and even pressed the button and she just chased after him without shooting? And whens he only shot at the car after it was safely driving away? Why is Riley so useless? She's supposed to be really good. And why so obsessed with Gabriel after five  minutes? It's not been long enough to explain why she'd hesitate to kill his wife if he couldn't if she was literally in the process of killing people and can't handle the thought of him losing her again. 

They asked if the guys at the mosque had a woman with them and were told no. So Gabriel decides to describe the woman and see if they got a different answer. What. 

Gabriel didn't want Amelia to die alone? Well it's what she wanted and she wouldn't even have e to die alone because the bomb went off five seconds later when she was still processing Gabriel was gone. 

HerRoyalHighnes

HerRoyalHighnes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:56 PM

Sigh.  I just don't know.

I really want to like this show (mostly for the actors involved) but....

I liked bad tech guy much more than the doc's son.

I guess as long as they keep throwing in shirtless Josh every 20 minutes, I can stick around a bit longer.

:o)

ElleR

ElleR

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

I'll keep watching "The Blacklist" live but it's not horrible. I like seeing Marg Helgenberger back in a leadership role; I was irked when CSI brought in Ted Danson and demoted her. I remember Meghan Ory from her "Vampire High" days, and missed her on OUAT so that's fun.

I was pleased - surprisingly pleased - that they ended the missing wife story in the second episode. I was with everyone else who said "oh, no, not ANOTHER show with this story" during the pilot.

MH's line after asking Riley if she could shoot Gabriel's wife - "That hesitation? That's when she detonated the bomb" was great, especially when Riley later didn't hesitate when she tackled Gabe out the window. For a second I though she was going to let him try to save wifey. Of course, tackling the 6-Billion Dollar Man out of a second (or third) floor window is probably not the best way to keep him alive.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 10:09 PM

Really? Like when she had her gun and said 'drop it or I'll shoot' and he didn't and even pressed the button and she just chased after him without shooting? And whens he only shot at the car after it was safely driving away? Why is Riley so useless?

It was almost laugh-worthy.  I get her first instinct seeing Gabriel's wife was not to shoot.  But how about shooting the tires, so the car can't get away?  Plus when she encountered that guy with the button.  Slowest reflexes ever, and apparently she protected the President.  He's probably thanking his lucky stars that Riley got the call to protect the government's dumbest weapon.

Edited by Camera One, Jan 18, 2014 @ 11:31 PM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 11:30 PM

I was pleased - surprisingly pleased - that they ended the missing wife story in the second episode. I was with everyone else who said "oh, no, not ANOTHER show with this story" during the pilot.

In the Pilot I was so sure she was played by the same actress who played the White Collar wife, who also didn't last too terribly long (emphasis on terribly).

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:13 PM

One thing that takes me aback on this show, and this may be a nitpick, is that the U.S. Cyber Command is a real organization. However, that organization is a military unit, a sub-unified command in fact, and therefore it is 100% military. There is no such thing as Director, Cyber Command. Instead it is Commander, Cyber Command, a 4-star general / admiral who is also the Director of the NSA. As such, USCYBERCOM can not conduct domestic operations, not with Posse Comitatus Act restrictions.

bella1013

bella1013

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:46 PM

Funny little show this is.

So you're telling me that a highly sophisticated bomb ingested in the stomach can withstand a fist fight and a fall down an elevator shaft. Yet requires hazmat suits to remove them post mortem?

I just...what?

I agree about the bombing attempt in the very crowded building. Just shoot the damn tires, shoot the walkie talkie out of his hand, shoot the guy when he's wondering why nothing is happening. Don't shoot after it when there are still so many people running about.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:47 PM

Chuck had lousy ratings too, but it was on a network where that was (borderline) acceptable. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes... will CBS?

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2014 @ 12:00 AM

On most new shows, there is a lot of room for the characters to grow.  I'm not sure if Gabriel even has any character development to undergo.  We're seeing him after he has already adjusted to the chip.  His entire family is involved in the agency, so there are no secrets.  It's weird, like we skipped all the interesting parts, and now what?  Procedural save-the-world every week?