Intelligence: The Lost Robot

• Please log in to reply

472 replies to this topic

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

So, I didn't see this anywhere else.  I wasn't sure if it should go in the Drama or the Sci-Fi section, but the major conceit is pretty science-fictiony.  A 13 episode first season will air on CBS Mondays from 10:00-11:00pm starting in 2014.  Official description is as follows:

Josh Holloway (Lost) stars in the dramatic thriller as a high-tech intelligence operative enhanced with a super-computer microchip in his brain. With this implant, Gabriel (Holloway) is the first human ever to be connected directly into the worldwide information grid and have complete access to Internet, WiFi, telephone and satellite data.  He can hack into any data center and access key intel in the fight to protect the United States from its enemies.

Leading the elite government cyber-security agency created to support him is Director Lillian Strand (Marg Helgenberger), a straightforward and efficient boss who oversees the unit’s missions. Strand assigns Riley Neal (Meghan Ory), a Secret Service agent, to protect Gabriel from outside threats, as well as from his appetite for reckless, unpredictable behavior and disregard for protocol.

Other skilled members of the Cybercom team include Chris Jameson (Michael Rady) and Gonzalo “Gonzo” Rodriguez (James Martinez), two resourceful federal investigators. The brains behind the design of the chip is Dr. Shenendoah Cassidy (John Billingsley), whose son, Nelson (PJ Byrne), is jealous of Gabriel’s prominent place in his father’s life. As the first supercomputer with a beating heart, Gabriel is the most valuable piece of technology the country has ever created and is the U.S.’s secret weapon.Michael Seitzman,

René Echevarria, Tripp Vinson, and David Semel (for pilot) are executive producers for ABC Television Studios in association with CBS Television Studios.

And a behind the scenes/fall preview is here.

Initial impressions are that it contains three of my favorite things: Josh Holloway, Meghan Ory (who was criminally underused in Once Upon a Time this season), and spy fiction.  Second impressions are that it smacks of Chuck as a drama (technologically augmented male lead, badass female minder) or a Six Million Dollar Man for the information age (Combine your SIGINT and your HUMINT into one Josh Holloway-shaped package!).  It would be nice to see an actual trailer, but there's your basic conceit.

Between this and SHIELD, the 2013 Fall season seems to have something for 3D holographic reconstructions.  Hey, they are pretty.

I will also say that the fairly ridiculous technobabble is likely to get tiring if overused.

Edited by Mars477, May 16, 2013 @ 9:15 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

Meghan Ory alone is a reason enough for me to see it.  I'm annoyed at Once for how they underutilized Ruby/Red this season, so I'm all for her being free from that show.  John Billingsley is another bonus: Dr. Phlox was one of the few things I loved about the disappointing Star Trek: Enterprise (granted, that's a small list including on him, Trip, Shran, and Porthos.)  I like Josh Holloway enough, but I have to confess I wasn't that wild about Sawyer; he was entertaining, but I thought overrated.  Still, I think he'll be a good lead.

Right now though, it does kind of feel like a serious version of Chuck, and doesn't seem to be that all original.  But as long as it's entertaining, I'll probably be fine.  But isn't actually not going to air till mid-season?

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 7:48 PM

Basically call it "The Six Billion Dollar Man" (minus the strength and super-fast running).

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

You're right.  It's premiering in "2014", which means its a midseason show.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

This may need a subtitle there was a two year Canadian series Intelligence  about 6 years ago about a RCMP officer moving from police work setting up a spy service with a marijuana smuggler as her major asset.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 10:51 PM

It has Josh Holloway in it.  That's enough for me.  

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 12:31 AM

Meghan Ory alone is a reason enough for me to see it.  I'm annoyed at Once for how they underutilized Ruby/Red this season, so I'm all for her being free from that show.

I couldn’t agree more. Meghan is such a convincing badass; it was criminal not using her to the fullest.  

Although, I hope the show has a good reason why someone who is apparently a highly trained operative on his own right needs a babysitter from the Secret Service, no matter how awesome she may be.

Edited by ElymianDucat, May 18, 2013 @ 12:33 AM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

It does seem she may be installed in the Scully role to his Mulder. 

Spotted Reptile

Spotted Reptile

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 6:35 AM

Unimpressed so far with the trailer. It feels like John Reese with the Machine in his head and about one tenth of the personality of either. Holloway's character seems smug and unlikeable at first glance. 

Machine-like female Head of Department (check), super awesome lead character with fatal flaw (check), smart, wisecracking sidekick (check) who is immune to his charms but you know they are both off to WTWT land almost immediately, and lots of pretty gadgets. 

POI with JJ Abrams deciding to take over the reins and get his hands dirty. I had some hopes for this show but the trailer pretty much crushed them.  Pass.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

I don't watch alot of CBS but i'll give this a shot because of Holloway.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

So this is CBS, does that mean it needs to get something like a 3.0 rating just to avoid getting cancelled?

I never watched Lost or Once Upon A Time, so I don't really care about Josh Holloway or Meghan Ory, but this show sounds like it could be interesting (which generally means it won't be around for long).

Edited by Danny Franks, May 18, 2013 @ 2:45 PM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 1:08 AM

So this is CBS, does that mean it needs to get something like a 3.0 rating just to avoid getting cancelled?

No. Elementary and The Good Wife even had lower than 2.0, and they are still getting renewed. Although TGW is a critical darling, and Elementary is simply very good for a procedural.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

Reminds me a bit of Jake 2.0. Still, could be fun, and I'm quite fond of Meghan Ory.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

Basically call it "The Six Billion Dollar Man" (minus the strength and super-fast running).

Reminds me a bit of Jake 2.0.

In the TV pilot thread, I called this a (semi)serious Chuck. One of four pilots I'm definitely checking out.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

What it actually is, from what I can see, is a fairly blatant ripoff of the webcomic A Girl and Her Fed (http://agirlandherfed.com/1.1.html - link is to the first strip, the Fed comes in later). I'll probably catch at least an episode or two, to see how badly it's stolen (first time we find a psychic who can see the same things he can, I'm out).

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 1:24 AM

I've actually tried to read this comic (not a fan, dropped quite early), but the premise doesn't seem unique enough for the show (which we haven't even seen yet) to be called a ripoff.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 2:59 AM

Wow. Josh Holloway looks so different. And I still remember Meghan Ory from Higher Ground. She seems different.

Not sure my interest was peaked by that preview.

This is Chuck + Jake 2.0 + 24 + The Dead Zone, possibly + John Doe. They seemed to have thrown everything into the pot.

Or they've thrown everything at the wall hoping something will stick.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 3:39 AM

The Dead Zone, possibly

How? Admittedly, I didn't watch the trailer too carefully.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Johnny was able to "stop time" and walk around a scene to see what's happening and what could be happening. I specifically remember an episode where he was on a plane and he started walking around to see the scene more clearly while everyone else is paused.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

Johnny was able to "stop time" and walk around a scene to see what's happening and what could be happening. I specifically remember an episode where he was on a plane and he started walking around to see the scene more clearly while everyone else is paused.

I don't think that's what was happening in the preview.

Stoicananess

Stoicananess

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

What are the odds that the science on this show is going to make me want to smash my face in as much as the science on 'Revolution'?

kimberella

kimberella

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 5:22 AM

It looks like the leads have good chemistry. This could be fun!

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

What are the odds that the science on this show is going to make me want to smash my face in as much as the science on 'Revolution'?

Not possible. There is no science on "Revolution". The writers just can't bring themselves to admit that they're using magic, and the Tower is full of wizards.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

The trailer looks terrible, but maybe that's just viewing it on my iPod Touch 4. Anyway, with Phlox, Sawyer, and Ruby, I will tune in.

According to EOnline, it premieres Monday, February 24, 2014 at 10pm Eastern, 9pm Central.

Edited by shapeshifter, Jun 23, 2013 @ 2:56 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

Looks like the show got bumped up.  According this, the premiere will now have a "special launch", airing on January 7th at 9 p.m., on Tuesday. It will then air at it's regular slot; Mondays at 10 p.m; next week (January 13th.)  I'm guessing they're hoping it will get a special post-NCIS "bump" fr for the premiere.  They also might be a bit concerned because of how it's current show, Hostages, has been getting it's ass handed to it by Castle and The Blacklist.  They're probably trying to get as many people to sample the pilot as possible, in order to remain competitive.

For what it's worth, assuming it ends up being decent, I'll probably start watching it live.  I'm currently watching The Blacklist now, but it's at the point that I'm more then willing to regulate it to On Demand status, if better options pop up.  James Spader can only care that show so far.  And as far as I'm concerned, it's Meghan Ory over Megan Boone, any day of the week.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 3:12 PM

Thanks, thuganomics. I will put that on my spreadsheet, which has gotten kind of sparse due to a lot of disappointing scifi shows that I deleted. I use the spreadsheet so I don't miss stuff, but it's also very satisfying to erase the unworthies. Here's hoping Not!Sawyer is as fun to watch as he was on Lost.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

So from the commercials, this is like Chuck, if Bryce got the Intersect instead. There's even a redhead female authority figure!

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

I'm still going to watch this, but I'm pretty sure it will amount to what would essentially be a 13 episode miniseries.

I still suffer from, 'stop trying to talk to me about fucking Lost! I'm not going to watch it, and I don't care!' syndrome, so I'm not particularly excited about the male lead. All I really know about him is that people were pushing for him to be cast as Gambit, in that shonky Wolverine: Origins movie, a few years back, and being glad when he wasn't cast.

JayKay

JayKay

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

If I didn't enjoy seeing Meghan Ory on my tv, I'd be mad that this sounds so much like Chuck. Never watched Lost, but I did like Holloway in his three minute scene in the latest Mission Impossible film and his ridiculous appearance on Community as a cowboy mercenary. Never cared for Marg Helgenberger for some reason, so she's a check in the "cons" column. I'll probably be watching this come Spring.

sammieberk

sammieberk

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 20, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

So is this just going to be Chuck with older actors and drama instead of comedy?