• Please log in to reply

1290 replies to this topic

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Paired with Arrow on Wednesdays next season. Official description:

9:00-10:00 P.M. “THE TOMORROW PEOPLE”

They are the next evolutionary leap of mankind, a generation of humans born with paranormal abilities — the Tomorrow People. Stephen Jameson stands at the crossroads between the world we know and the shifting world of the future. Up until a year ago, Stephen was a “normal” teenager — until he began hearing voices and teleporting in his sleep, never knowing where he might wake up. Now, Stephen’s issues have gone far beyond the usual teenage angst, and he is beginning to question his sanity. In desperation, Stephen decides to listen to one of the voices in his head, and it leads him to his first encounter with the Tomorrow People — John, Cara and Russell — a genetically advanced race with the abilities of telekinesis, teleportation and telepathic communication. The Tomorrow People are being hunted down by a paramilitary group of scientists known as Ultra. Led by Dr. Jedikiah Price, Ultra sees the Tomorrow People as a very real existential threat from a rival species, and the outcast group has been forced to hide out in an abandoned subway station just beneath the surface of the human world.

Trading in secrets, Jedikiah offers Stephen the chance for a normal life with his family and best friend, Astrid, if he will help in the struggle to isolate and eradicate the Tomorrow People. On the other hand, Cara, John and Russell offer Stephen a different type of family and a home where he truly belongs. Unwilling to turn his back on humanity or the world of the Tomorrow People, Stephen sets out on his own path — a journey that could take him into the shadowy past to uncover the truth about his father’s mysterious disappearance, or into an unknown future with THE TOMORROW PEOPLE. The series stars Robbie Amell (“Revenge”) as Stephen, Luke Mitchell (“H20: Just Add Water”) as John, Peyton List (“Mad Men”) as Cara, Aaron Yoo (“Disturbia,” “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist”) as Russell, Mark Pellegrino (“Lost,” “Supernatural”) as Dr. Jedikiah Price, and Madeleine Mantock (upcoming “All You Need is Kill”) as Astrid. THE TOMORROW PEOPLE is from Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “Green Lantern”), Julie Plec (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Kyle XY”), Phil Klemmer (“Political Animals,” “Chuck”) and Danny Cannon (“Nikita,” “CSI: NY”). The pilot was directed by Danny Cannon.

Trailer and sneak peek

I think it's the most appealing show from the CW's batch for next year and I'm looking forward to checking it. It looks a bit like an X-Men rip-off but I personally like X-Men movies and wouldn't mind seeing a weekly show that resembles them.

Edit: LA pilot screening promo

Edited by LisaJ, May 30, 2013 @ 8:56 AM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

They gotta go with Ziggy Marley for the theme, right? Or is that just me?

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

It looks a bit like an X-Men rip-off but I personally like X-Men movies and wouldn't mind seeing a weekly show that resembles them.

Or indeed...it looks an awful lot like The Tomorrow People, a British mid-70's series about teenagers discovering they were the next stage in human evolution, as they battled humans who wanted to exploit them, and an evil shouting robot called Jedikiah.

I truly would not have expected this series to get a second reboot, after the mid-90's reboot fizzled out like a damp squib. Certainly, both of the earlier versions of this series would have chewed their own feet off for the production values we're seeing here, and it does look as though this version is avoiding the god-awful tweeness that affected most of the original series. But can this reboot give us a villain as evil as a table on wheels being pushed by David 'Darth Vader' Prowse? I suppose the only way to find out is to tune in!

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

This was the only new CW offering that looked halfway decent to me.  It would be nice if Mark Pellegrino could have a steady gig. 

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 12:40 AM

Or indeed...it looks an awful lot like The Tomorrow People, a British mid-70's series about teenagers discovering they were the next stage in human evolution, as they battled humans who wanted to exploit them, and an evil shouting robot called Jedikiah.

I truly would not have expected this series to get a second reboot, after the mid-90's reboot fizzled out like a damp squib. Certainly, both of the earlier versions of this series would have chewed their own feet off for the production values we're seeing here, and it does look as though this version is avoiding the god-awful tweeness that affected most of the original series. But can this reboot give us a villain as evil as a table on wheels being pushed by David 'Darth Vader' Prowse? I suppose the only way to find out is to tune in!

Are they acknowledging that this is a reboot in the press kit? I've only seen one article mention the fact that this is indeed a remake. I missed the original 70s version but I used to watch 90s version as a kid. Naomie Harris was in it. I even remember Christopher Lee being in a few episodes. 

Edited by Turkish, May 17, 2013 @ 12:40 AM.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 1:39 AM

Even the 90's version was not keen to acknowledge it's pedigree, and that was produced by the same person, at first. I can't see the CW wanting to explicitly tie themselves to something as...basic as the original.

blueray1

blueray1

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

sounds interesting, I've never seen the 70's or the 90's version. And anything with Mark Pellegrino tends to be good.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

Seems like a rip off of Mutant X, what with them being hunted, but fine with me.. cause I always thought that show had a good premise that should be used.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

I'm gonna need a new show this fall to become addicted to and I always give the CW shows a shot (especially the sci-fi ones), so I'm looking forward to this.

Edited by Stinger97, May 18, 2013 @ 11:21 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

sounds interesting, I've never seen the 70's or the 90's version. And anything with Mark Pellegrino tends to be good

This.  I'm not a fan of the CW but the premise sounds interesting and I'm Mark Pellegrino's bitch(although he'll always be Bishop to me).

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 11:58 AM

The script leaked and its link was removed now..

Edited by LisaJ, May 20, 2013 @ 8:47 AM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 6:43 PM

Lots of years of the genre experience with the producers is encouraging.

Interesting that the lead (Robbie Amell) is the cousin of Arrow's lead (Stephen Amell)--might make for some innovative marketing.

I liked Mark Pellegrino best in his non-scifi role in The Closer, when his character was more low key and behind-the-scenes in his power plays, with a bit of dry humor thrown in. It doesn't look like that's going on with this show.

The trailer reminds me of Kyle XY.

Edited by shapeshifter, May 20, 2013 @ 6:44 PM.

Zanne

Zanne

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

after the mid-90's reboot

Megabyte! Man, how do I still remember that? It seemed like that show was here and gone faster than you could blink.

Cantis

Cantis

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

I loved the 90's version of this show, so I really want to love this one too...but I'm not feeling Robbie Amell in the preview.  He looks like a pretty bland actor.  Disappointed with what I saw of him in the trailer, sigh. 

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

The FutonCritic's short review:

#TomorrowPeople: like #Arrow, emerges fully formed, slick out of the gate; well cast, directed; easily one of this year's strongest pilots

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 5:34 AM

That’s exciting to hear, I loved the 90s series. It probably would not even stand up in a hooky way if I were to revisit it (There was a character who went by the nickname Megabyte for gods sakes (In a show not called Reboot!) how much more dated and "90s hip" must it have been!?  But I liked it at the time; I wonder if I should revisit it so my expectations of the new show adjusted correctly.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

TVwise also reported on some good feedback for this show:

Buzz on The Tomorrow People has been solid. It’s been generally well received and described as a “highlight” of the screenings by one source. Interestingly, I’m not hearing many comparisons to the originals. It’s not the hottest title, but on the whole The Tomorrow People seems to have impressed and should do well for Warner Bros. International Television Distribution.

IgnaMom

IgnaMom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

New 4 minute preview

http://youtu.be/gZmYU-l-l8c

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

From the CW Blog (blog.cwtv.com), evidently at Comic Con:

Fans can catch screenings of the pilot episodes of highly anticipated new drama series Almost Human, The Tomorrow People and The 100, and hear from producers and stars of the shows during panels and autograph signings

Does that men they're likely to also be available shortly after via On Demand, Hulu, cwtv.com, or any of the above?

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

Are they acknowledging that this is a reboot in the press kit? I've only seen one article mention the fact that this is indeed a remake.

I don't know if they're ackowleding it but they are pretty openly referencing it by naming the lead Stephen Jameson, like in the 1970's version, naming another character "John" like in the seventies version, along with giving John the last name Young, after the actor Nick Young who played John in the seventies version, staging the Tomorrow People's hideout in an abandoned subway station like in the seventies version, calling the developement of powers "breaking out" like in the seventies version and naming the head bad guy Jedikiah after the major bad guy in the seventies version....

But I've named a number of clues that yes, someone involved in the production has watched the 1970's version at least as much as I have.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

Megabyte! Man, how do I still remember that? It seemed like that show was here and gone faster than you could blink.

I loved the 90s version, never saw the 70s version (I don't think it aired in the U.S.) - the 90s version actually lasted three years. It was some sort of Canadian/British/Nickelodean cross production that filmed 10 episodes per year (five the first year) so it was probably hard to keep going with all the different cooks in the kitchen. That's just the nature of most British/Canadian shows - the seasons are so short, they call five episodes a "series" and if they do another five episodes a year later it's called a "second series."

Promos and trailers look promising, I'm looking forward to this.

TyranAmiros

TyranAmiros

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

From the four-minute preview, I think they also remembered that Tomorrow People can't kill others, which I'm happy about.  Also, they seem to be keeping the powers more or less the same as the original and 90s versions--teleporting, telepathy, telekinesis.  I'd love to see Megabyte or one of the other characters from the 90s version have a cameo role or a shoutout.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

I loved the 90s version, never saw the 70s version (I don't think it aired in the U.S.)

The 1970s version *absolutely* aired in the United States on Nickolodean in the early to mid 1980s when Nick was running all sorts of creepy shit like The Tomorrow People, and The Third Eye, which had some seriously fucked up shit... Including Children of the Stones, often cited as one of the scariest children shows ever, Into the Labrynth and the one that gave me nightmares, Under The Mountain.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 4:16 AM

Yeah most of Nick's early programming was pretty much entirely imported from the U.K. and Canada.  It seems like it settled down to mostly just Canadian imports by the late 80s and then they started making their own stuff eventually.  Oh how rabidly I watched The Third Eye.  Then it scared the crap out of me and so I switched over to Wonderworks on PBS for one day and happened to catch the episode where they did Ray Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day" and I kind of couldn't watch TV for a week (hey for a six year old that's eons).  I think that week may have been the beginning of my obsession with seriously messed up TV. 

I hope this one stays true to form.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 5:46 AM

TVLine's preview

The show premieres at October 9th.

Does that men they're likely to also be available shortly after via On Demand, Hulu, cwtv.com, or any of the above?

Judging by last year's Comic Con previews, I think the answer is no.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

It is on the CW, they put all their shit on Hulu and Netflix.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

It is on the CW, they put all their shit on Hulu and Netflix.          

The question was whether it'll be available shortly after the Comic Con, and the answer for that it is no. It'll obviously be available in Hulu and Netflix eventually but that won't happen before October..

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 8:54 AM

This may be based on the DC comic book Jack Kirby created after he was fired from Marvel back in the late '60s. Super-hippies. It didn't last long.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

I have to disagree. The 4 minute teaser I saw seems very clearly based on the 1970s show. Same main character names, similar terminology and setting ("breaking out", a secret base in an abandoned subway).

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

Interesting, I assumed this was just a twist on the X-Men (obviously non-Marvel related) but I read the description of the 70's British show and it's very different. I wonder if this one will involve alien adventures? Now, I'm more interested in this show than I already was.