The Crazy Ones: Mork and Buffy Run an Ad Agency

• Please log in to reply

593 replies to this topic

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

A new comedy coming to Thursdays at 9 this fall on CBS. Robin Williams, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Hamish Linklater and James Wolk.

The Crazy Ones — Academy Award winner Robin Williams returns to series television in THE CRAZY ONES, a single-camera workplace comedy about a larger-than-life advertising genius whose unorthodox methods and unpredictable behavior would get him fired… if he weren’t the boss. Simon Roberts (Williams) is the head of a powerful agency, with the biggest clients and brands in the world, but even more important to him is that his daughter Sydney (Sarah Michelle Gellar) is by his side. As his partner, Sydney is Simon’s exact opposite – focused, organized and eager to make a name for herself, but also too busy parenting her father, which she’d resent if he wasn’t so brilliant at what he does. Joining them in the firm are the dashing and talented Zach (James Wolk); art director Andrew (Hamish Linklater), who’s as hard-working as he is neurotic; and the beautiful and deceptively smart assistant Lauren (Amanda Setton). With his team and his daughter behind him, Simon continues to set the advertising world on fire, and it looks like they are definitely buying what these crazy ones are selling. Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner David E. Kelley (“Ally McBeal” and “The Practice”), Bill D’Elia, Emmy Award winner Jason Winer (“Modern Family”), Dean Lorey, John Montgomery and Mark Teitelbaum are executive producers for Twentieth Century Fox Television. Jason Winer directed the pilot.

Preview:

http://www.youtube.c...eHdNJXftHncYjDP

I'm looking forward to it. Mostly because James Wolk is very, very pretty.

Edited by 2MuchTV, May 15, 2013 @ 5:50 PM.

buck1

buck1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

Looks good to me but I'm a sucker for Williams.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:03 PM

In the preview 2MuchTV linked, we got to see our first Easter Egg. Their client is McDonald's. When SMG was around five, she did a commercial for Burger King comparing the size of the burgers between BK and Mc'Ds. It was almost unheard of, at the time, to mention a rival in a commercial. McDonald's sued various people, including SMG. http://dereksfastfoo...ichelle-gellar/ (Don't be fooled by the headline.)

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

Thanks for the link to that commercial. I can't believe that's SMG.

I didn't like the clip, so I'm not sure whether I'll watch. I love SMG. I watched the entire season of The Ringer to support her, even though I didn't enjoy the show. I guess I'll give this a few episodes to see if it grows on me.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

Man, I'm usually not a fan of CBS' comedies but a Robin Williams-Sarah Michelle Geller show sounds intriguing.  It's going to be tough deciding whether or not to watch..

Edited by bulldawgtownie, May 16, 2013 @ 12:33 PM.

Snow Apple

Snow Apple

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

I like SMG and have fondness for Robin Williams (I watched Mork and Mindy during it's first run as a kid!).  But I no longer enjoy his comedy style as an adult; it's seems so forced now.  That preview is not helping.  But with rest of the cast and crew, I may try a few episodes.

amyslayer

amyslayer

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

You guys think that preview had enough product placements? It seems like there wasn't enough product placements.

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

I love SMG. I watched the entire season of The Ringer to support her

That's how I feel about Wolk. When I read that he would be doing a guest run on "Happy Endings" I started watching it. I labored through the Just OK "Political Animals" for him. And imagine my surprise when he showed up unannounced on "Mad Men"! (And his character and I are fellow college alums.) So, please be better than Just OK, show!

AnnaRose

AnnaRose

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

I wish I could watch this for Sarah Michelle and Hamish who I love, but I really can't stand Robin Williams.  He tries so hard to be funny, and to me, he just isn't.  Ever.

The preview looked awful to me anyway though, so I guess it's no big loss.

Edited by AnnaRose, May 17, 2013 @ 11:52 AM.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

This could be awesome. A cross between The Office and Boston Legal with talent and pretty to spare?

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 3:45 AM

You guys think that preview had enough product placements? It seems like there wasn't enough product placements.

It's an ad agency and they have to use real products. Mad Men does but it's set in the past so I guess it can get away with it.  I personally hate when shows use fake brand names.

As a Buffy fan I like SMG too but not sure. I like Robin Williams riffing only when he's a cartoon genie. I'll just watch the pilot for Kelly Clarkson. Love her.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

I'll try it for SMG and hope that maybe the preview was aiming to pull in rabid RW fans but doesn't accurately portray the whole show. Because I couldn't watch a whole episode of RW "riffing" and SMG looking exasperated. 

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:56 AM

I used to enjoy Robin William films when I was a kid, but every week on tv will probably be a bit much for me. I find his comedy quite one-note and stale now to be honest, he seems to go through the same routine in every comic role

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 9:10 AM

Hamish who I love

Me too! I'll watch just for him!

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

I'm not sure I can watch this. I can watch Robin Williams in any serious role, but I haven't been able to watch him in comedy since Mork reruns. He is so hyperactive that I can't even watch him do an interview.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

I'm sort of into this -- I enjoyed the trailer but it's like I didn't want to, because Robin can be so cloying.  To echo everyone here, I love Sarah Michelle Gellar (I thought Ringer was fantastic, so is Cruel Intentions -- I never watched Buffy!), I love James Wolk only because of Happy Endings, and I'm a huge fan of Hamish Linklater (New Adventures of Old Christine!).  I just wish these three actors were working with someone else..... SMG seems a big enough star to not need Robin, but unfortunately Ringer was cancelled......  Imagine if this show didn't have Robin? 

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

Imagine if this show didn't have Robin?

Then it would be Just Shoot Me

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

How so?  He's playing the George Segal character, is he not?

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

Lets see.  David E. Kelly show about an out of control wildcard, who's really good at his job, so he gets away with everything?   Hmm.  Where have we seen that before.

Transpose "ad agency" over legal...

I wonder if Robin Williams will repeat his character's name over and over to people?

Or there's (as has already been mentioned) the photocopied elements from "Just Shoot Me".   What a crappy place to copy from.

Sigh.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

This show sounds promising.  It will be interesting to RW back on TV.  He truly was iconic on Mork & Mindy. And James Wolk is very pretty.  So yeah, I'll check this one out.

amyslayer

amyslayer

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 4:07 AM

It's an ad agency and they have to use real products. Mad Men does but it's set in the past so I guess it can get away with it.  I personally hate when shows use fake brand names.

Fair point, but I don't remember Mad Men's previews delegating that much screen/character discussion time to the products Sterling Cooper were hawking. That said, the first previews I saw were from 4 years ago, I'm from a different country and the channel I watch Mad Men on could have shown different previews from the ones AMC showed.

I'm also concerned by the fact that the show clearly features a "comedy" ad agency. One where Kelly Clarkson can change an ad campaign's direction without the clients raining holy hell over the agency's ears. Ah, well. Good luck, Robin Williams, Buffy and Max Blum's boyfriend from Happy Endings. Oh, and Old Christine's brother.

Edited by amyslayer, May 22, 2013 @ 4:18 AM.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

I never watched Buffy!

I know you must hear this all the time, Bunny, but you really must change that. Especially since you love SMG. That's 7 seasons of SMG being kickass and insecure and confident and in love and just great fun. And in case no one has told you, start with season 1. Not the best season, but you really should fall in love with these characters from day 1.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

I adore SMG but this looks too cheesy for me. Here's a different, longer preview: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=pWEL-FqBW0o

Kelly Clarkson could be a decent little sitcom actress in addition to being a great singer. She just naturally has that bubbly, relatable personality.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

Good luck, Robin Williams, Buffy and Max Blum's boyfriend from Happy Endings. Oh, and Old Christine's brother.

LOL, and Penelope from Gossip Girl.  God, I'm finding Robin very annoying in this preview.

How is James Wolk allowed to be that hot?

All right Slade2, I may watch the pilot because of you.  ;)

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, May 23, 2013 @ 7:49 PM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

I have a life long allegiance to SMG because of Buffy as well, but I don't think I can handle her just giving Patch Adams the side eye every episode.  Since the entire cast is so strong, I hope the plan is to utilize them effectively.

cryyhavoc

cryyhavoc

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

I know you must hear this all the time, Bunny, but you really must change that. Especially since you love SMG. That's 7 seasons of SMG being kickass and insecure and confident and in love and just great fun. And in case no one has told you, start with season 1. Not the best season, but you really should fall in love with these characters from day 1.

I disagree, unless you really want to hate SMG, do not watch the last two seasons of Buffy,  some of the worst crap ever on television.  Buffy turns into a complete b**ch.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

I disagree. Seasons 6+7 of Buffy are also totally worth watching and Sarah is giving a pretty decent performance in both. The show was a little bit more rough around the edges maybe, but I thought those final seasons of Buffy were also watchable. It ended at the right time though. But that's a discussion for another thread.

I'm looking forward to The Crazy Ones. The trailer didn't blow me away or anything, but it doesn't look like something that would air on CBS and that has me intrigued. Plus there were some genuinely funny parts in there - most of them going to James Wolk though who I never saw as a comedic actor. Color me surprised. Sarah looks a bit stiff though. Should the show last, I hope she'll get more funny bits too rather than having to play the straight woman to everyone else around.

I can't see this turning into a success on CBS, but I look forward to it.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

The Buffy spinoff Angel in the first season episode "I Will Remember You" also had a pretty amazing performance from her at the end.

Peachy720

Peachy720

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

I'be loved RW since I was a kid with M&M. Loved SMG since I was a tween watching her play another Sydney on "Swans Crossing." (Confession: didn't find Buffy until it had been off the air for years, and knew way too many spoilers going in)

Wasn't ZOMG-crazy about the preview, but I'll be loyal to my faves and watch it as long as it lasts.. Bonus: Hi, Hamish!!

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:52 PM

The new sentimental promo is so odd, like CBS's idea is just to pretend the show is a classic hit right from the start instead of showing a funny scene or line.