Sleepy Hollow: Time-Traveling Ichabod Crane

• Please log in to reply

4918 replies to this topic

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 4:10 AM

I really liked the episode.  It reminds me of Fringe as well but that's only natural considering the content and the same people working on both projects.  I think Ichabod and Abbie's relationship is progressing nicely.  I feel like their interactions and banter is easy for knowing each other for such a short period of time.  If Ichabod is willing to go so far for Abbie now, I can't wait to see what it will be like when they know each other even better. 

I didn't miss Katrina but I didn't not miss her either if that makes sense.  I just think her connection is with Ichabod and this episode wasn't really about him so it makes sense that she wasn't needed.  I too found the Sandman's line about not being the one to judge Ichabod for his sins very intriguing as well.  I wonder what that is foreshadowing?

The only think that bothered me as a black person is how different Jenny looked as an adult compared to when she was a child.  Black people get darker as they get older and she got lighter.  Abbie's younger counterpart was spot on but I found Jenny's very distracting.

Plethora

Plethora

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 4:37 AM

Has anyone had the theory that Icky isn't a witness?, but Abbie and her sister are the two witnesses and Icky was never meant to be there. But since Katrina linked him to the Horseman, he came along for the ride.

I really dug the costume design for the Sandman, so creepy. And if they ever wanted to make a prequel to this show, holy crap Ichabod back in his original time,  turning to the side of the Colonies and aligning with them and Native Americans while battling supernatural forces, you would have me in a heartbeat.

I hope at the end of season Icky has developed a taste for donut holes and energy drinks.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 5:10 AM

The only think that bothered me as a black person is how different Jenny looked as an adult compared to when she was a child. Black people get darker as they get older and she got lighter.

Heh ... Orlando Jones on Twitter:  "Young Jenny got so angry when Abbie lied she grew up to have lighter skin."

sunrise65

sunrise65

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 5:27 AM

Also, I didn't get why, exactly, was the demon doing what he was doing. Maybe I just haven't noticed, but he had to come from somewhere. Throughout most of the episode I was thinking Jenny summoned him to get revenge at the people who had wronged her, but it seems Abbie and Icky, at least, never made that connection, so I was probably mistaken.

I'm believing that now Sleepy Hollow has become like Sunnydale sitting on a Hellmouth.  Evil is going to just be drawn to the place with the coming of the Headless Horsemen and the apocalypse. What self respecting demon wouldn't want part of that action?  Especially when he had 3 such delightful candidates to screw with?  It seems like for the first 2 they couldn't admit their sins to avoid the Sandman, which is so sad that in a moment like that you just can't come clean: I was a coward, I lied, I let someone suffer for my lies.

Happy Harpy

Happy Harpy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 5:39 AM

I loved this episode,again.

The reference was used before, and indeed I don't think I've seen as much chemistry between characters/actors since Mulder and Scully. I love every single interaction between Ichabod and Abbie. I love it when they banter and when they snark, when they smile and when they agree, when they're serious and when they support each other, when they talk and when they say nothing.

The plot can be a complete mess and turn into a more complete mess and all (although actually, this episode COTW made a little bit more sense than the others imo) but I'll still watch the whole hour with a smile on my face.

And OK, it was probably the point of the ritual scenes but now I see how they could be romantic. If he wasn't married anymore. And down the road. But I see it.

I still love badass Jenny. I'm curious to see how this will turn out.

I hope that Abbie's ex isn't going so jealous that he turns to the dark side or puts people in danger. I like the actor and I think he has presence, so I'd prefer he becomes Ichabod's frenemy.

I really liked that the boss doesn't ask Ichabod and Abbie to justify their supernatural investigations anymore.

Edited by Happy Harpy, Oct 1, 2013 @ 5:41 AM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 5:41 AM

I'm believing that now Sleepy Hollow has become like Sunnydale sitting on a Hellmouth. Evil is going to just be drawn to the place with the coming of the Headless Horsemen and the apocalypse. What self respecting demon wouldn't want part of that action? Especially when he had 3 such delightful candidates to screw with? It seems like for the first 2 they couldn't admit their sins to avoid the Sandman, which is so sad that in a moment like that you just can't come clean: I was a coward, I lied, I let someone suffer for my lies.

But there were probably other people feeling guilt in the town. Why did he target only the people connected to Jenny's past?

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 6:10 AM

This show is getting good. It is doing a lot of things right. It is right on the edge of good scary and bad scary for some of us, as someone noted.

Nicole is killing it as Abbie. I love how her and Crane share one little moment each week. They're so freaking cute together!

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 6:17 AM

They are so freaking adorable together that I'd watch them just run errands for an hour, if it came to that.

"I requested some coffee from the charwoman at the entrance."
"She's called a re-cep-tion-ist. Or, Wendy."

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

Has anyone had the theory that Icky isn't a witness?, but Abbie and her sister are the two witnesses and Icky was never meant to be there. But since Katrina linked him to the Horseman, he came along for the ride.

You know that thought crossed my mind.  I also wondered if perhaps Jenny had grown so bitter over not being believed and her sister's betrayal that she ended up going Dark Side.  I like that this show keeps me guessing.

Last night's episode was OK, it had some nice character development for Abbie and the humor was good but I thought it was a little slow.  I did like the Sandman, he was very creepy.  I also jumped at the eye popping scene at the beginning so the show gets extra points.  I also like Jenny, she's gone all Sarah Conner which is cool.

rese1975

rese1975

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:03 AM

I am still enjoying this show. Although, I thought that last night's show skated some cheesy and too convenient areas but managed not to cross them for me. I like the fact that there are a few players whom I am wondering if they are good or evil (Jenny, Orlando Bloom, the ex). Jenny, although very pretty, her elongated face makes her look sinister. And I agree with Orlando Bloom's tweet that made a joke out of her becoming lighter as she aged. I thought at the moment that we saw young Jenny that she became so scared that she became biracial. Anyway, I know that we have already met other darkside folks other than Cho thus far but don't know who yet.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:09 AM

Black people get darker as they get older and she got lighter. 

Not all, I think, according to pictures, that I've stayed the same color, but I didn't get lighter.  I did notice that too, because I was kind of confused as to who the little girl was, since Jenny looked SO different than she did as a child.

I thought at the moment that we saw young Jenny that she became so scared that she became biracial. 

Confused.  Why is it that whenever people see a lighter skinned black person, they assume they are biracial?  That confuses me; I mean no one ever called a light skinned person biracial when I was growing up.

I liked this episode a lot.

Sweeney555

Sweeney555

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:12 AM

I loved this episode. It was a nice twist having the Sandman be based on a Native American monster.

I like Tom Mison better every week. He's completely nailed the part. I could hardly take my eyes off him this week, and that's all the credit to his acting, as I don't have a crush on him. Well, I have a little crush on Ichabod.

I trust Irving a little more this week. He was cool when Luke pranked him, and he promised Abbie and Ichabod a key to the room ( I just think of it as the Buffy library) with very little questioning.

I didn't mind not seeing Katrina this week, but Ichabod could be a little more focused on the fact that she's trapped in some kind of netherworld. 

I agree with a poster upthread that Jenny got loose from the asylum too easily, but I'm glad that she's presumably out, and can't wait for her first meeting with Abbie.

I know it seems like very little time has passed in the show, but for the love of Pete, get Ichabod some new clothes. Even if he's been washing out his shirt in the sink, his coat and trousers must smell. But he needs to keep the boots. Definitely keep the boots.

Can't wait until next week's ep. I haven't been so anticipatory over a show in a very long while. And if Anthony Stewart Head is in it, as was mentioned upthread, makes it all the better. Giles!

rese1975

rese1975

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:16 AM

Why is it that whenever people see a lighter skinned black person, they assume they are biracial?

Not to get too far off topic, but it is an innocent observation. I am black. She does not look like my light skinned family members, who are fairer than she is. She looks like my biracial family members. I could be wrong but basing it on the personal people that I know and it is more than her skin tone that I make that observation from. 

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

Was I the only one who cringed when Ichabod used the term "Native American"? It felt really off, in a "political correctness gone mad" way. Yeah, he had just heard Abbie use the phrase, but still, he's from 18 century. Nobody talked like that then.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:21 AM

He heard Abbie say it so he used it - he has not been portrayed as slow on the uptake.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:22 AM

I really enjoyed this episode, but I think I might want to start watching it during the day. 

I've considered this as well, but then I wouldn't be able to live-tweet with Orlando Jones and the rest of the sleepyheads!

amazinglybored

amazinglybored

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:36 AM

I've considered this as well, but then I wouldn't be able to live-tweet with Orlando Jones and the rest of the sleepyheads!

This fandom has the most adorable name, I love it.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:38 AM

I thought this episode was a lot better than the second episode. The writer was stronger and there wasn't as much coincidence driving the plot. There was still some annoying coincidences, like Ichabod happened to know Mohawks and the demon's legend? That seemed way too easy.

It bugged me that when Ichabod and Abbie were about to go into the dream realm two guys appeared out of nowhere to help the used car salesman. I wish they had explained a little bit about who they were and where they came from.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

I only went 'aw, c'mon!' at the last scene where Abbie's sister had escaped.  If someone could just climb into the ceiling and get away, they didn't have much security to speak of.  If I were locked in a room and wanted to escape, I would check the doors and windows first and then check out the ceiling--especially when it was made of accoustical tiles.  (Of course, once you get into the ceiling, you still have to get out of the building and off the grounds--maybe that's why Abbie seemed to be admiring her sister's actions--she figured that she had gotten away.)

Actually, it is shockingly easy to escape from a mental hospital assuming it's not a maximum security facility; nothing about Jenny's crime leads me to believe that she'd be in max security. In most states, you can't restrain a patient unless they are a danger to themselves or others. The windows are secured and fixed for suicide risk, not an unauthorized departure. When people leave, they usually hop a fence or walk out the front door. We don't have more than a handful of people leave every year, which speaks to just how psychotic they are. Jenny is not mentally ill, not taking meds; I'd imagine she'd be could almost waltz out the door without being caught, especially if she left in the early evening when the staff to patient ratio drops and there aren't a ton of classes or programs to watch all of the patients.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

The only think that bothered me as a black person is how different Jenny looked as an adult compared to when she was a child.  Black people get darker as they get older and she got lighter.  Abbie's younger counterpart was spot on but I found Jenny's very distracting.

I"m assuming that was down to the fact they cast younger Jenny way before they landed the adult actress, it was easier to cast a young Abbie when they had Nicole Beharie already in place. They could have reshot those scenes but I'd guess they are already at or busting their budget given all the kick ass cgi/creature work.

I did have that thought, but I can't remember if the Witness thing was tied directly to the Horseman, if so Jenny wasn't really part of that.

Abbie and Ichabod are so utterly delightful together, they give me Moose & Squirrel fuzzies, especially Abbie all episode talking out her trumped up sister ish, but even so there is something wonderfully UN-angsty about these two. Get stung by a scorpion so you can go on a vision quest to kill a demon? Down the hatch, and BAM, bring it faceless demon bitches!

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

Jenny is not mentally ill, not taking meds

Only because she's cheeking them, based on what we saw last week.

sunrise65

sunrise65

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:46 AM

But there were probably other people feeling guilt in the town. Why did he target only the people connected to Jenny's past?

Well it could be because there were 3 tied into the same "crime".  Or it could be targeting Abbie specifically to get her out of the way of stopping the apocalypse.

NickyJean

NickyJean

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:56 AM

I agree with a poster upthread that Jenny got loose from the asylum too easily, but I'm glad that she's presumably out, and can't wait for her first meeting with Abbie.

I don't totally agree with it being too easy.  When I look at her I see Faith (maybe I shouldn't but I do) when Faith needed to get out, she just dove through the glass and jumped a few stories and took off.  I kind of see it the same way, Jenny feels to me like she's just biding her time and waiting.  Where else is she going to go where they feed you free food and just let you sit around watching cartoons all day.  I don't think she got caught on purpose but she just saw no reason to rush off, so she didn't.  I think her playing the institution was kind of set when she wasn't really taking her medicine.  Then some stranger came and told her all hell was breaking loose, so then she decided to leave and prepare. 

When it comes to the Sandman haunting these 3 people.  These attacts do look like suside so who knows how many he kills at a time.  I honestly didn't think Jenny had anything to do with it, I actually figured the Demon actually set it up becuase the 3 people who saw him were the ones being attached.  Or maybe the hellmouth attracted him, and you have to believe in supernatural to actually have him haunt you. 

Either way having it deal with Abbie's guilt over her lies, was the best way to continue character development. 

Kudos to the person that mentioned maybe Abbie and jenny are the actual witnesses and not Abbie and Crane.  That is a nice twist but supports my therory that when the Horeseman goes Crane will also go.  I'm waiting for crane to get shot or something and then become "Better" at night fall because the Horseman rising from the lake fully heal, heals him too. 

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 7:58 AM

Well it could be because there were 3 tied into the same "crime".  Or it could be targeting Abbie specifically to get her out of the way of stopping the apocalypse.

At first I wondered if he was targeting these 3 as a result of Jenny wanting them to be punished.  I really thought we'd end up with a reveal that Jenny was bad.  With the way the episode ended I'm guessing it was all about Abbie and they just all shared the same crime of knowing the truth and keeping silent.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:16 AM

Yay for Wardrobe giving Abby an appropriate bra for the shirtless scene. And yay for Ichabod not making any sort of "Zounds, women's undergarments in this modern age!" comments.

Given that in his day, the only things worn under the average woman's gown was a thin shift, stays (sort of like a corset only with less support/coverage) and maybe a petticoat or two if she was wealthy, he probably was surprised by the bra.  But kudos to the show for not making a deal of it.

And can I just say: they need more reasons for shirtlessness on his part!  (Yes, I AM that shallow.)

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:37 AM

Nicole is killing it as Abbie. I love how her and Crane share one little moment each week. 

Agreed.  And I'm not sure if it's a credit to the actress or the writing, but I like that Abbie isn't just the straight man to Ichabod, or that she plays dumb so Ichabod can figure everything out.  She's smart and capable in her own right, and that's awesome.

And yeah, the show hit the jackpot with the chemistry between Abbie and Ichabod.  They are so natural together.

Does anyone know if Lyndie Greenwood is American or British?  I'm trying to figure out if I should be impressed by her accent on Nikita or her accent on this.  And her and Nicole Behrie really do look like they could be sisters.

Edited by bparhad, Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:38 AM.

rese1975

rese1975

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

Does anyone know if Lyndie Greenwood is American or British? 

I believe she is Canadian.

I agree with all who are praising Beharie's and Mison's chemistry. 

DearEvette

DearEvette

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:54 AM

I honestly didn't think Jenny had anything to do with it, I actually figured the Demon actually set it up becuase the 3 people who saw him were the ones being attached.  Or maybe the hellmouth attracted him, and you have to believe in supernatural to actually have him haunt you.

I wonder if maybe all the beings attracted to Sleepy Hollow aren't all evil?  The way they set up the Sandman mythology here, it is almost like a morality demon.  Do the right thing (tell the truth) and you live.  Do the wrong thing (lie) and you die.  So it seems counter intuitive for him to be on the side of evil horned guy.  If all three witness had recanted, then Jenny's case would have been made stronger.  There would have been 3 more believers out there in the world who now have a strong impetus to be heard. 

It would make sense that as a center of the impending Apocalypse the SH wouldn't just be a beacon for the bad guys, but that the good side will also send some supernatural help as well.  And maybe this was a test or trial for Abbie to see if she was worthy to be one of them?  And she passed.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:55 AM

Does anyone know if Lyndie Greenwood is American or British?

She's Canadian.

I liked this episode and I'm interested in seeing the sisters interact. Since it looks Jenny's been preparing for the end of days since she was teenager. She's also a loose cannon, I know she's not mentally ill and no longer taking her meds, but she was on meds and had people telling her she's crazy. So that has to have messed with her mind a little.

I loved Ichabod's reaction to the energy drink. That was my reaction to tasting them too, that first sip woke me right up so I guess they work. Abbie now needs to take him to a Starbucks so he can see how much coffee costs and how many different kinds there are, not to mention the cup sizes. Of course taking him to a movie for a bucket of soda aka a small size cup should shock him as well

The sandman was creepy looking. This show does remind me of early seasons Fringe and I like that. And I'm also guessing the Sandman demon was a judgement kind of demon. If you admitted your fault to him before your time was up, he let you go.

I'm not so sure about Orlando Jones' character. I believe he knows what's going on but I don't know what side he's on yet. Which I suppose is another mystery of this show.

Edited by Sakura12, Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:59 AM.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2013 @ 8:59 AM

I have enjoyed the first shows, however, it is just going to be a "Demon of the Week" show where a new one shows up and they kill it each week?

Why can't television have shows where they have a tight story that flows and is over in 8 to 12 episodes? I know why, money, advertising, blah blah blah. But wouldnt' we all enjoy a great story told concisely?