Sleepy Hollow: Time-Traveling Ichabod Crane

• Please log in to reply

4918 replies to this topic

Bussy

Bussy

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

What if you suddenly woke up from the throes of death 250 years in the future to find the world is on the brink of destruction, caused by unimaginable events, and you are humanity’s last hope? Welcome to SLEEPY HOLLOW, the thrilling new mystery-adventure drama from co-creators/executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (“Star Trek” and “Transformers” franchises, “Fringe”). In this modern-day retelling of Washington Irving’s classic, ICHABOD CRANE (Tom Mison, “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”) is resurrected and pulled two and a half centuries through time to unravel a mystery that dates all the way back to the founding fathers. Revived alongside Ichabod is the infamous Headless Horseman who is on a murderous rampage in present-day Sleepy Hollow. Bound to the Headless Horseman by a blood spell cast on the battlefield of the American Revolution, Ichabod quickly realizes that stopping Headless is just the beginning, as the resurrected rider is but the first of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. As this re-invented Ichabod finds himself in present-day Sleepy Hollow, he discovers a town and a world he no longer recognizes. All that is brutally familiar are Headless and Ichabod’s determination to annihilate this immortal being. It’s a mission he must complete quickly, as Headless already has viciously slain Sheriff AUGUST CORBIN (guest star Clancy Brown, “Cowboys & Aliens,” “Carnivale”). Grey served both as mentor and father figure to Detective ABBIE MILLS (Nicole Beharie, “Shame,” “American Violet”), a young cop whose own supernatural experiences help her form an unlikely bond with Ichabod. But Sleepy Hollow’s head of police, Captain FRANK IRVING (Orlando Jones, “The Chicago 8,” “Drumline”), isn’t buying any of this. In fact, the only person who is on Abbie’s side is Ichabod. His extensive first-hand knowledge of our secret American history, coupled with her superior profiling and modern threat assessment skills, will make them a formidable duo as they work together to triumph over evil. The complex pasts of Ichabod and Abbie, from Ichabod’s inclusion in the powerful and secretive Freemasons Society and the ghostly appearance of his late wife, KATRINA (Katia Winter, "Dexter"), to Abbie’s childhood visions, will help them solve the intricate puzzles of Sleepy Hollow in order to protect its future. As history repeats itself, the oddly-linked pair will draw on the real stories and hallowed secrets this nation was founded on in their quest to stop an increasingly vicious cycle of evil. SLEEPY HOLLOW is from K/O Paper Products in association with 20th Century Fox Television. The series is co-created by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Phillip Iscove and Len Wiseman ("Hawaii-50" “Underworld” and “Total Recall”). The series is executive-produced by Kurtzman, Orci, Wiseman and Heather Kadin. Iscove serves as supervising producer. Wiseman directed the pilot.

The trailer from upfront week is here.

It looks utterly and completely daft, but I'm rooting hard for it.

Kurtzman and Orci usually know what they're doing and the two leads have good buddy cop chemistry (in fact, they remind me of a sci-fi version of the leads on Elementary, with a ridiculous Englishman and his more normal female partner). There's plenty of plot here, but also potential for procedural elements. Most importantly, everyone seems to be having a pretty good time and a sense of humour; I think what often kills high-concept shows like this is an overabundance of angst and mythology at the expense of entertainment and character bonding. Also, (apart from the attractive Colonial flashbacks, which I doubt they'll have in every episode), I got the feeling that this show could withstand the budget/production value decrease between the pilot and the subsequent episodes, since most of it is this enjoyable dynamic between Ichabod and the cops.

I think the real challenge will be the marketing. I don't know how they'll make it appealing without seeming overwhelming. Maybe if they just focus on the main duo, with bonus machine gun-wielding headless man, and keep quiet about Washington's Bible and the dream witches and whatnot for a little while.

RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:44 AM

I'm a sucker for fish out of water scenarios and I was practically raised on the Sleepy Hollow story (I'm a local) so I hope it's a lot if fun.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

My major problem with this is that it sounds too serialized, and like it could fit a mini-series more than a 13 episodes TV show.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

I think the plot sounds kind of dumb, but the trailers sure make that actor playing Ichabod look appealing. I love his accent. I'll try the pilot at least.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

This show will either suck HARD or arguably be the best new show of the year.  It'll be interesting to find out which.

Bussy

Bussy

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

There's a new behind the scenes video, with more footage and interviews with the main lead and the two showrunners: here

This makes me like it even more, actually. It's definitely like a sci-fi Elementary, which I got before, but the main actor's interview and the new bits of footage underscore it, saying that yes, it's ludicrous, but it's grounded in the real-world partnership between Ichabod and Abbie. And the two showrunners seem incredibly self-aware about the fact that it is ridiculous; they want it to be fun while being scary. The actor seems like a cool guy (very snarky).

Also, the official Fox Youtube channel seems to be trying out other taglines besides the (kind of horrible) "Heads will roll". So hopefully the marketing campaign will use something else. 

This show will either suck HARD or arguably be the best new show of the year.  It'll be interesting to find out which.

This is how I feel, too. I remember a couple of years ago at upfronts, the Once Upon a Time trailer was just as reviled as this one is, for seeming over-the-top and ludicrous, but it ended up being one of very few breakout shows that year. 

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

I recognized Nicole Behaire from "42" she played Jackie Robinson's wife. I think this could be interesting. I loved the Starbucks jokes.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

My first reaction was literally yelling "Clancy Brown!", only to follow it with "Well, shit!", when his character gets killed off.  Bummer.

I might give it a go still.  Only actor I'm really famailar with his Orlando Jones, but I do enjoy the Sleepy Hollow story, and curious to see how this version will fare.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

I agree this looks like it could be totally awesome or totally awful and I'm completely infatuated with Tom Mison so he alone makes me want to check it out.  We read Sleepy Hollow for my American Lit class a few semesters back and I don't remember Ichabod Crane being quite this sexy. lol. Am I completely imagining it or did they try to make a tv show based on Sleepy Hollow before?

nix21

nix21

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

The whole premise of this show sounds crazy enough to work.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

The whole premise of this show sounds crazy enough to work.

Crazy being the operative word here. Embrace the crazy, show.

Lugal

Lugal

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

This show will either suck HARD or arguably be the best new show of the year.  It'll be interesting to find out which.

Kind of what I was thinking too.  Sort of an Elementary meets National Treasure meets Highlander.  Speaking of which...

My first reaction was literally yelling "Clancy Brown!", only to follow it with "Well, shit!", when his character gets killed off.  Bummer.

From the look of things, beheaded no less.  Apparently there really can be only one.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

If it's a regular series, I'm not sure how there's enough story for 20+ episodes a season, but count me in. I'm not going to turn down Sleepy Hollow with a cute Ichabod Crane (I just saw that actor this weekend in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen--not too shabby).

bros402

bros402

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:59 AM

Perhaps Sleepy Hollow will have 13-15 episode seasons, like The Following?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Am I completely imagining it or did they try to make a tv show based on Sleepy Hollow before?

Johnny Deep did a movie called Sleepy Hollow" with him as Ichabod Crane and Christopher Walken as a hessen who eventually becomes the Headless horsemen, you may be thinking about that.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

I'm a sucker for fish out of water scenarios and I was practically raised on the Sleepy Hollow story (I'm a local) so I hope it's a lot if fun.

Its understandable, but the clips DO seem to imply they mess up the geography of that area a lot.  Despite being so close to New York City, geography conspires to make it a very smallish area, with few roads and a limited population (which isn't what's conveyed by the clips).

I also imagine "Irvington" (population 6000 or so) won't exist, since they don't dare admit to Washington Irvings existence in a take about Crane and the Horseman being real.  Of course, North Tarrytown is now "Sleepy Hollow" (pop. around 10,000 I think), but they swiped that because Irving is buried there (Irving LIVED in what's now Irvington, so its more likely the story was supposed to be happening there--even the clip acknowledges that since they namecheck Dobbs Ferry, which is on the other side of Irvington from Tarrytown).

Edited by Kromm, May 16, 2013 @ 12:08 PM.

Bussy

Bussy

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

Perhaps Sleepy Hollow will have 13-15 episode seasons, like The Following?

That's what it looks like right now. Sleepy Hollow is supposed to cede the time slot to The Following in midseason. However, I wonder if they'd give ti a back 9 order if it does incredibly well, and air The Following in some other time slot when it returns.

It is interesting that the schedule has repeats of Sleepy Hollow scheduled for Fridays, starting immediately. There's been a precedent in recent years of putting the more out-there fantasy fare on Fridays. I wonder if the strategy is to start Sleepy Hollow on Monday nights and Friday nights to give it an opportunity to grow a fan base, and then wholesale move the show to Fridays (Bones can occupy another time slot, where some other new show will have failed by late fall). That actually wouldn't be a terrible thing in terms of the potential longevity of the show, since ratings pressure is lower on Fridays. It doesn't seem like this show will require a massive budget (there aren't that many cast members and the CGI work doesn't seem like it'll cost more than Supernatural's stuff), so if it does even passably okay in the ratings, it could live on Fridays for a couple of years and still make a profit.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

I agree it looks like it could be really awesome or suck.  Cool concept although Ichabod has some cringe-inducing moments in the trailer and not the good kind.  I wonder if they'll have enough story to get past 13 episodes.  I have a feeling it will go the way of many of Fox's other sci-fi shows.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

Johnny Deep did a movie called Sleepy Hollow" with him as Ichabod Crane and Christopher Walken as a hessen who eventually becomes the Headless horsemen, you may be thinking about that.

No that wasn't it, but I did some checking and there were a couple of tv films made. One in 1980 and one in 1999. So it was probably the one in 1999 I was thinking about.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

This premise sounds like total crack, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 2:35 PM

There was a recent movie, "The Hollow", I think it was called, set in modern times (saw it on cable) and in the town of Sleepy Hollow (don't think there was a character named "Ichabod", though).

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 3:28 AM

Wasn't one of SyFy's awful Saturday night movies about the Headless Horseman?

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

There was a recent movie, "The Hollow", I think it was called, set in modern times (saw it on cable) and in the town of Sleepy Hollow (don't think there was a character named "Ichabod", though)

That was about the Headless Horseman seeking revenge on one of Ichabod's descendants for Ichabod getting away. The main character was named Ian Cranston because Ichabod changed his name after leaving Sleepy Hollow.

Cantis

Cantis

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

Yea, I was alternately excited and then bummed out when I saw Clancy Brown too.  Dang it, that guy needs to get a show.  Another one, not one that will be cancelled and left on a cliffhanger! (Damn you, Earth 2!)

Count me in.  I really enjoyed the set up in the trailer. 

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 9:51 PM

Another one, not one that will be cancelled and left on a cliffhanger! (Damn you, Earth 2!)

And here I thought you were referring to Carnivale. Damn you, HBO!

Cantis

Cantis

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 10:52 PM

And here I thought you were referring to Carnivale. Damn you, HBO!

Well, that ending sucked too, LOL!  But I had started getting burnt out on that one before it ended, whereas with Earth 2, I was still invested when the show was cancelled!

Maybe we can get Clancy in flashbacks...

From the look of things, beheaded no less.  Apparently there really can be only one.

LMAO, Lugal!  I totally missed this!  Hilarious!

I still get a kick out of the scene of Ichabod asking the female cop if she has been emancipated and that look on her face, LOL!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

Of course, North Tarrytown is now "Sleepy Hollow" (pop. around 10,000 I think), but they swiped that because Irving is buried there (Irving LIVED in what's now Irvington, so its more likely the story was supposed to be happening there

Nope; the events of the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" indeed take place in North Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow. The bridge in the climactic scene in the story IRL spans the Pocantico River on Route 9/Broadway (what used to be the Albany Post Road in Irving's time), just near the Old Dutch Church and the graveyard where Irving is buried.

I have hopes that this show won't suck, but I...think those hopes are misplaced.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

Has the premiere date been set yet?  I'd like to give it a try.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

I'm still only seeing "Coming This Fall" so I don't think so, but they will be at Comic-Con on July 19, so maybe a date will be given then.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 4:56 PM

Okay, thank you.  I'll check in here from time to time for updates.