The Goldbergs: Like The Wonder Years, Except Set in the 80s

• Please log in to reply

491 replies to this topic

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

I'm more excited for this than I probably should be. Check out the trailer here.

I wish it wasn't in the same timeslot that killed both Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- but I'll hold out hope that this can break the cycle. I actually think it would have fit better on Wednesday nights after Modern Family, but ABC seems hellbent on making Rebel Wilson's new sitcom a success. We'll see if that pans out for them.

buck1

buck1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

I hope it does well because I really enjoyed the trailer.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

No, just no.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

I saw the pilot a few weeks ago.  I liked the concept but didn't find the show to be funny at all.  I thought all the characters except for the kid who was videotaping everything were shrill and shouty and pretty unlikable.

Suzy123

Suzy123

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

I watched it on Hulu yesterday and I thought it was pretty funny. I liked the scene where the older son was running into the house all weird.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

Jeff Garlin is a big bag of win to me, but I don't think he has a creative hand in this. He's just a hired hand. Still, I'll probably give it a chance for him.

atomationage

atomationage

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

I started watching but stopped when I realized that the whole show was going to be set in the 80s.  I like Jeff Garlin, so I'll probably watch at least this one whole episode eventually. 

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 2:15 AM

Not impressed by the pilot. Really reminiscent of past shows, whether sitcoms or not, to the point it's distracting. Also, the cast didn't really do it for me.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

Wow, that trailer was really bad. Like a bad parody of The Wonder Years, except worse. Wow, just so, so bad.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

I watched the pilot and I guess I like the concept of the show more than the actual show itself. I loved the 80's but this just wasn't that funny.  Maybe other episodes will be better.  I did, however, like at the end of the pilot where you saw the actual family.  That was a nice touch added at the end.

atomationage

atomationage

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

I watched the episode and liked the mom best.  I thought the ending was cute, but don't think a whole series would be good based on family recollections.  He changed one brother into a sister for the show, so that would be different. 

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 4:22 PM

I love Jeff Garlin to death and the kid who plays the older son looks like his character will be funny so I'll give this a shot. I think it looks more promising than the new Rebel Wilson show trailer.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

How are people viewing the pilot?

Edited:  Oh, Hulu.  Dammit.  I'm Canadian.

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Sep 8, 2013 @ 5:37 PM.

juniorasparagus

juniorasparagus

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

It's available on the CTV website for the Canadians

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

I laughed a couple of times. I think maybe this show might work better in front of a live studio audience. I don't know. It's just got a cheesy vibe to it that would work best with an enthusiastic audience.  

andiepants

andiepants

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

I will be watching the premiere. I never much cared for "The Wonder Years," but I am a child of the '80s and I have been waiting for a show like this. 

I'm also a big fan of George Segal's film work: "Blume in Love" and "Where's Poppa?" are two of my favorite movies from the '70s. 

jbethea

jbethea

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

I honest to god thought Wendi McClendon-Covey was Shelley Long.

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

I liked it. I'm not sure what that says about me, but I liked it.

A hell of a lot better than the Trophy Wife show I'm watching right now that comes after it.

dXw

dXw

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

The Goldbergs beats out Mom who beats out The Trophy Wife.

Migzo

Migzo

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

I'm an '80s gal, so I look fondly on big hair, REO and all that, but this show was terrible.

It reeked of trying too hard, with zippy one-liners that sounded stilted and too many in-your-face "don't forget it's the '80s" toss-ins. Look, a Star Wars shirt, hey, check out that massive video camera, har har, now a Star Wars T-shirt. We get it.

And then the hair is all wrong. The teen son's hair should have been longer in the back, a bit of a mullet. And the teen girl's hair was way too smooth, should have been more perm-like and frizzy. What's the point of hitting the viewers over the head with '80s references and then they screw up the hair, a huge identifier of that decade?

DeepPoet117

DeepPoet117

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

I liked it. I'm not sure what that says about me, but I liked it.

A hell of a lot better than the Trophy Wife show I'm watching right now that comes after it.

I agree with this. Is the older son supposed to be gay?

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

There's still some kinks, but I enjoyed it. I especially liked the relationship between the George Segal character and the narrating grandson. 

Oh and Jeff Garlin was hilarious. He alone makes the show worth watching.

nycguy123

nycguy123

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

This was a total piece of unfunny garbage.

Apparently, the creators of this show think yelling equals funny.  Except for some fleeting references, there is no reason for this show to take place in the 1980's.

The good news is that Jeff Garlin will be available should Larry David do another season of CUrb Your Enthusiasm because The Goldbergs is gonna get a quick hook.  

DangerousMinds

DangerousMinds

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

I liked it. IMO it's no Wonder Years, but if it gets better I'll keep watching.

Gracepayz

Gracepayz

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

I liked it more than I expected that I would.  Then at the end when he showed his real life examples and it was obvious by the film that it was an old camcorder.  The real dad did talk/ act that way,  The Mom had big hair,  the young boy did bother the older brother. 

I know that for this episode things were a bit exaggerated behavior wise.  I will tune in to see if it settles down.

I do love that they showed the family fighting but then went on to say that they still love each other because this was true in my case.

blanchowens

blanchowens

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 4:38 AM

This show was not funny at all.  I am pretty rough on sit-coms; you have to make me at least crack a smile from time to time to make me watch it again.  I will not be watching this again, I predict a short run.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 6:24 AM

I didn't like it. To me seemed like a badly done mix of The Wonder Years and Malcolm in The Middle.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 7:02 AM

And the teen girl's hair was way too smooth, should have been more perm-like and frizzy. What's the point of hitting the viewers over the head with '80s references and then they screw up the hair, a huge identifier of that decade?         

Thank you!  I don't know why this always bothers me so much with shows set in the 80's but they never get it right.  I understand it's not a good look, but if you're going to commit, then commit!  Spray the bangs up!

Ugh, the Mother drove me insane.  Just shut up.

I didn't mind the youngest boy.  He was o.k.  I did have to question his use of the phrase, "S'up girl" to the waitress.  Was that slang going on in the 80's??

dancingforqueen

dancingforqueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

I laughed the entire time. The huge video camera was a staple in my house and we recorded everything. We still watch the videos now and laugh.

I liked all the references. Yes, they were in your face "I will burn you with my crimper" lines, but as a child of the 80's, I loved it. Even the father and son singing along to REO Speedwagon was great, and I wouldn't call myself a fan of that band. I'm in for now.

khreysigal

khreysigal

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

I liked the pilot, although except for the 80s references, the storylines (teen learning how to drive, mom having trouble with her kids growing up) seem like they could be done today (I'm reminded in fact of some episodes of The Middle, another underrated comedy).

Hope this sticks around.