Once Upon a Time in Wonderland: Alice, a Genie and a CGI Rabbit

• Please log in to reply

1020 replies to this topic

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

The spinoff from ABC's Once Upon a Time to air Thursdays at 8, this fall.

Official trailer. Official website.

“ONCE UPON A TIME IN WONDERLAND”

In Victorian England, the young and beautiful Alice (Sophie Lowe) tells a tale of a strange new land that exists on the other side of a rabbit hole. An invisible cat, a hookah smoking caterpillar and playing-cards that talk are just some of the fantastic things she’s seen during this impossible adventure. Surely this troubled girl must be insane, and her doctors aim to cure her with a treatment that will make her forget everything. Alice seems ready to put it all behind her, especially the painful memory of the genie she fell in love with and lost forever -- the handsome and mysterious Cyrus (Peter Gadiot). But deep down Alice knows this world is real, and just in the nick of time the sardonic Knave of Hearts (Michael Socha) and the irrepressible White Rabbit (John Lithgow) arrive to save her from a doomed fate. Together the trio will take a tumble down the rabbit hole to this Wonderland where nothing is impossible.

“Once Upon a Time in Wonderland” stars Sophie Lowe (“Beautiful Kate”) as Alice, Michael Socha (“This Is England”) as Knave of Hearts, Peter Gadiot (“The Forbidden Girl”) as Cyrus, Emma Rigby (“Hollyoaks”) as Queen of Hearts and John Lithgow (“3rd Rock from the Sun”) a The Voice of the White Rabbit.

“Once Upon a Time in Wonderland” was written by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz (“Once Upon a Time”), who serve as executive producers. Steve Perlman and Zack Estrin also serve as executive producers, and the pilot was directed by Ralph Hemecker. “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland” is produced by ABC Studios.

Also note the trailer calls Emma Rigby's character the Red Queen, not the Queen of Hearts.

Edited by Aliasscape, May 14, 2013 @ 9:10 PM.

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

I am adding this show to the must watch list. It looks dark and interesting, the cgi looks solid and I love fairy tales/sci-fi.

I had no idea there was a difference between the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts.

Edited by Arynm, May 14, 2013 @ 9:56 PM.

nix21

nix21

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

I had no idea there was a difference between the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts.

If memory serves, the Queen of Hearts was the playing card from "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and the Red Queen was the chess piece from the sequel, "Through the Looking Glass". They're usually conflated together in adaptations, along with the Duchess who was a third completely unrelated character (in the Disney version for example, the Queen of Hearts looks more like the Duchess of Tenniel's original illustrations).

Does anyone know if there'll be any cross-over with the original OUAT?

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

From what I understand, we may see Jefferson (depending on Sebastian Stan's availability), Cora (depending on whether Barbara Hershey agrees to reprise the role  -- and we may even see young Cora as well), and possibly even Regina. 

According to the showrunners, Wonderland is set post-curse, so it will actually be concurrent with the parent show, beginning in earnest at about the time that the curse was broken in Storybrooke and showing how the wraith wrought havoc in Wonderland.  The idea, however, is that both shows are independent of each other, so viewers won't have to follow one in order to keep up with the other one.  In other words, Wonderland is going to be less of a true spin-off and more of a companion series, if that makes sense.

I'm glad that I'll have something to look forward to again on Thursday nights!  :)

Edited by legaleagle44, May 15, 2013 @ 12:19 AM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 12:59 AM

Apparently, Entertainment Weekly had the same question about crossovers.

I have to say Sophie Lowe at the moment is strongly reminding me of Fringe's Anna Torv (in a good way!)

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 1:18 AM

I'm glad that I'll have something to look forward to again on Thursday nights!  :)

Then again, many ABC shows have been dying in this time-slot, so they better hope they can break that trend.

Despite being very underwhelmed with Once this season, the trailer for this was intriguing enough to at least give this a look.

Edited by thuganomics85, May 15, 2013 @ 1:19 AM.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 3:09 AM

It looks so much better than Once Upon a Time that I have trouble believing it's the same creators.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:10 AM

It looks so much better than Once Upon a Time that I have trouble believing it's the same creators.

OUAT had some very good episodes (Red's origin story, The Miller's Daughter, Hat Trick), they just could never rise above this level to good serialized storytelling, which was plagued by a lot of problems. I'm not sure this show will be free of them, but at least it won't be initially bloated with a lot of unnecessary characters, one would think.

Although I'm a bit sick of Wonderland stuff, it's become too overdone lately.

Edited by FurryFury, May 15, 2013 @ 7:11 AM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:54 AM

I used to watch OUAT and liked it in the beginning but somewhere along the way I lost interest.  Still, I'll give this a shot.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

This look absolutely brilliant. Great casting here, though I suspect Red Queen is gonna be quite Regina-esque at times though.

Michael Socha looks pretty hot as the Knave Of Hearts though.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

It's a bad sign that I'm shipping Alice with the Knave of Hearts instead of Cyrus, but it's probably just my Michael Socha love showing. I'm glad it's a limited run, though. Easier to get invested since (IMO) Once fell apart so quickly.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:52 AM

Not a big fan of Socha, but hell, they're asking for it just because of the description naming the other dude her love interest (srsly, too obvious). I won't be surprised if this Knave is Mad Hatter's last minute replacement, as well.

Not sure if it's a spoiler, but it seems

Spoiler

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

The trailer seemed long, until the fight scene, it made me want to cheer. I can see myself rooting for Alice.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

It sounds like it will be similar to when Stargate Sg1 and Atlantis were both on. The two shows occasionally referenced each other, and there were a few crossovers, but the shows remained mostly separate.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

I'm glad it's a limited run, though.

It was originally planned to be a limited run and replace Once during its hiatus on January, but then ABC decided to launch it at the fall instead, so it could potentially get the back 9 if it does well enough.

This is one of the best trailers I saw for next season and I'm personally looking forward to it. The timeslot is an issue, but then Flashforward did start its season on the same timeslot with good ratings, so it is possible..

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

I tried to watch Once Upon a Time when it first aired but I wasn't able to get into it.  Hopefully that won't happen with this show since the premise sounds very interesting.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

I've been thinking that beyond the problems OUAT has been having this season, a lot of the reason I'm disappointed in it is because its on a 8PM. I think a lot of what they gloss over is the stuff that families with kids would be less interested in.

I would really rather no crossovers at all and that they put one of the series (this one would be fine) at 9PM or 10PM so they could have one version of a fairy tale show that families could watch together and another where they didn't have to worry so much about being kiddie friendly.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

It was originally planned to be a limited run and replace Once during its hiatus on January, but then ABC decided to launch it at the fall instead, so it could potentially get the back 9 if it does well enough.

But it's still just for one year, right? And then, if the ratings are good, it's a new story with new characters next year? Like "OUaT in Neverland" or whatever. Or is Alice now a multi-year series?

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

I don't think anyone's thought that far ahead yet, coppersinWonderland was only just picked up this past week.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 4:40 AM

I've been thinking that beyond the problems OUAT has been having this season, a lot of the reason I'm disappointed in it is because its on a 8PM. I think a lot of what they gloss over is the stuff that families with kids would be less interested in.

I would really rather no crossovers at all and that they put one of the series (this one would be fine) at 9PM or 10PM so they could have one version of a fairy tale show that families could watch together and another where they didn't have to worry so much about being kiddie friendly.          

Well this is Thursdays @ 8pm so I think they're still going for the same audience. The trailer does make it seem a bit darker than OUAT though, with the sanitorium scenes. I wasn't going to watch this because OUAT completely lost my interest a few eps into this season but I'll give it a shot now, the trailer was pretty good, very atmospheric and Alice seems perfectly cast.

They were using a lot of OUAT shots and some stock footage in there though, because the original presentation was only 20 minutes long.

The slot is the ABC Death Slot, but I guess they're hoping Wonderland and the Once connection will give it more of a chance.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

Per tweet from the official source, thirteen episodes have been ordered.  I'm guessing that we'll know fairly quickly whether it gets the back nine once it starts airing (see what I did there?).

Edited by legaleagle44, May 18, 2013 @ 2:31 PM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

According to the showrunners, Wonderland is set post-curse, so it will actually be concurrent with the parent show, beginning in earnest at about the time that the curse was broken in Storybrooke and showing how the wraith wrought havoc in Wonderland.

Was this another Wraith from the one that went to the Enchanted Forest and took Philip's soul?  

PCFan

PCFan

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

Is it terrible that I want this to just be a one and done 13 episodes? The trailer looks really awesome and I'm (hesitantly) looking forward to it. Adam and Eddy didn't do so hot with just one show this season. I worry about what having two could mean for both shows. I'm overly paranoid, it happens.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 2:53 AM

Is it terrible that I want this to just be a one and done 13 episodes?

No, I'm hoping for the same. One year, one story with a beginning, middle and end. As a long miniseries this concept is fantastic. As an ongoing series it just becomes a rewash of the original, which is already struggling after two seasons.

I want to be able to watch this and get invested enough to finish all 13 (or 22, if it's a full year). But that won't happen if they decide to drag everything out for 4-5 seasons. Write a good story and give it a decent ending, and if the characters are really that popular, let them show up on the original series.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 9:16 AM

The trailer may look good, but parts of it is just reused Once clips.

What happened to Paul Reubens? I thought he was gonna be the White Rabbit?

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

Write a good story and give it a decent ending, and if the characters are really that popular, let them show up on the original series.

If it's successful, they can also have Once Upon a Time in someotherland too a year later, and some of these characters could appear there too.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 1:21 PM

If it's successful, they can also have Once Upon a Time in someotherland too a year later

This is what initially piqued my interest, because I thought that was the plan all along. Wonderland this year, Neverland or Oz or whatever next year, and so on. Like a miniseries each year. I can commit to that.

Edited by coppersin, May 19, 2013 @ 1:23 PM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

What happened to Paul Reubens? I thought he was gonna be the White Rabbit?

I'm glad he's gone. The guy is just a creep to me.

I feel like ABC had entirely different ideas about what they were going to do with OUAT Wonderland until the they saw the 19 minute presentation. Then, compared to a lot of what ABC's coming out with this fall, this seems the most interesting and buzzworthy. The broadcast model doesn't really like to limit anything. If it does well, you find a way to make more.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

I feel like ABC had entirely different ideas about what they were going to do with OUAT Wonderland until the they saw the 19 minute presentation. Then, compared to a lot of what ABC's coming out with this fall, this seems the most interesting and buzzworthy.

Personally, it makes me wonder how bad the rest of their pilots were that made them choose a 19 minutes presentation, filled with material from the mothership that reached new lows in ratings next season, over them.

I'm personally hopeful regarding the odds of this show. I think it will get sampled and will probably get higher ratings for its premiere than Last Resort and Zero Hour last year, and from there I think it'll be dependent on the quality of the following episodes.

nix21

nix21

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

This is what initially piqued my interest, because I thought that was the plan all along. Wonderland this year, Neverland or Oz or whatever next year, and so on. Like a miniseries each year. I can commit to that.

Also, would they have the copyright to Narnia? There are tons of Disney references in OUAT and doesn't Disney own the Narnia films as well?

If so, I doubt they'd be able to include Aslan, aka Lion Jesus, but the setting is expansive and there are plenty of huge time-skips in the books that they could explore without treading on the original stories. I recall CS Lewis was open to the idea of people playing in his sandpit - when a boy wrote to him and asked for more Narnia stories, he encouraged him to write his own.

Seeing Narnia from a completely new perspective might be fun, and it's got that fairytale quality that Oz, Neverland and Wonderland have (and it's not like they haven't already explored literature before).