The Girl With The Yellow Umbrella

• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

I WAS going to call the topic "The Mother", but I figured that might necessitate renaming the whole subforum!

Plus, there's at least SOME possibility it could be a trick, us being LED to think she's The Mother.

But we DO know she's a character who is now appearing.  We even know who's playing her now.  Cristin Milioti.

A Tony nominee (for Once).  Coincidentally playing ANOTHER character referred to with "Girl".

Most of us might recall her from 30 Rock.  Just a single episode, but an AWESOME one.  If I knew nothing of her other than what she did in the "TGS Hates Women" episode, where she was both hilarious and versatile, I'd STILL think she was an inspired choice for The Mot... er.. the Girl with the Yellow Umbrella who Ted meets.

Edited by Kromm, May 15, 2013 @ 1:44 PM.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

Cristin Milioti has done musical theatre. She received a Tony nomination for Best Leading Actress in a Musical for Once. I actually think Tony acting nominations/awards are more meaningful than the corresponding Emmy accolades. If they do any more musical episodes in Season 9 she might contribute a true (unenhanced) female singing talent to complement Neil Patrick Harris, as there isn't one to be found in Cobie Smulders or Alyson Hannigan.

On the big screen she will be appearing opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in the upcoming movie The Wolf of Wall Steet. Once again, I hope the creative team of HIMYM chose right...

Edited by watcher1006, May 15, 2013 @ 10:36 AM.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

The creators have confirmed that she's The Mother.

I was happy to hear that she's from New Jersey. Given Ted's past feelings about the state (the two girls from West Orange who claimed to be New Yorkers, and Stella expecting him to move there after their wedding), it'd be kind of funny to see this as a plot point.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

If she is the girl with the yellow umbrella, and The Mother, she's beautiful and so, so talented. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KfeRdH4Q_sg

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

She is. they said as much in the first episode of the current season: "...and that's how Aunt Lily met your mother..." For you Robin-as-mother shippers, it's too late.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Cristin Milioti is on the big silver screen this month in The Wolf of Wall Street starring Leonardo DiCaprio. I saw her this past Tuesday in a short interview on David Letterman where she talked about both the movie and her role on HIMYM. The thing she said that stuck out most for me is that she had never watched the show, even through her appearance in the Season 8 finale. Finally, she said she caught up on all the seasons of the show in a burst of viewing this past September. She said she had no idea how high the expectations for the mother had been built (no kidding!) -  and what she had taken on with the role.

I doubt anyone could have been cast as the mother who could live up to all that the long time viewers would have hoped from her but I'm confident that the show's creators didn't choose badly. CM is articulate and easygoing in person, talking freely to David L. with humor and a dose of self-deprecation. They showed a clip from her upcoming movie where she plays a young Italian woman and she does a Metro area - working class accent while wearing a big-hair wig.

I suspect her first love is and will remain the live stage but it's nice for such actors to get gigs making serious money.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

I'm guessing we ARE going to see her singing at the wedding and not just playing her instrument:

One.

Two.  

Three.

samus

samus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 3:42 PM

Considering how much they had built up the mother over the years, those where not easy shoes to fill. But from what I am been reading on various blogs and discussion forums, Milioti has pretty much pulled off the impossible and make everyone adore her. Well alright, not everyone. That's impossible. But pretty damn close.

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

I agree, it's impressive, though having seen her in Once I'm not surprised, the most adorable, sincerely non-cloying presence I've seen since Michelle Williams' turn in "The Baxter".  I'm not sure Zooey Deschanel got this much praise and goodwill from the audience at the start of "New Girl".  And the funny thing is, Milioti doesn't read her own reviews or fan reaction (so she says), so she's not getting a swelled head over any of this.  If I were the folks at CBS (or, well, anywhere that is in charge of casting), I'd be paying very close attention to her in future, because that's some powerful screen appeal.

Edited by QueenAnne, Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:32 AM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 1:27 AM

If I were the folks at CBS (or, well, anywhere that is in charge of casting), I'd be paying very close attention to her in future, because that's some powerful screen appeal.

I'd originally been wondering if they knew and "How I Met Your Dad" was simply going to be the reverse of this show, starring her.  Except back in November the show creators claimed not (plus the HIMYM actors would be ancient by the time a sequels show ended if they had to come back to reshoot the wedding scenes).

But I suppose someone will find a new vehicle for Milioti, and it likely will be at CBS.

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 12:17 PM

At this point, I really just want to know The Mother's name!

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 12:38 AM

Well, we learned it. And technically, we learned it way back in season 1.

I was originally really against the idea of spending lots of time with Tracy onscreen because I thought it would make her a bland Perfect Ted-clone if we have to see her as the love of his life. And she WAS a bland Perfect Ted-clone but somehow I ended up totally buying the two of them as perfect for each other and being invested in them together. And I didn't need it to be a happy ever after and I'm glad it wasn't. I though the scene where they have the final party in the apartment before Marshall and Lily move out was the best scene between Ted and Tracy. Partly because having Tracy as a 2000 Florida voter was a genuinely funny punchline to the hanging chad vote, but also because it showed the Mother got, and appreciated, the kind of person Ted was. It had a Marshall-and-Lily vibe.

And the wedding was kind of off. If you're going to spend half the episode underlining how Ted and Tracy live together and have two children, it's just odd that such a big, endlessly talked-up, milestone moment is . . . Ted and his buddies. Not the kids of the bride and groom. Not Marvin or Daisy or # 3 or Ellie. When the point is your life changes and as you hit your forties you aren't the same people hanging out at a bar, you're . . the same people hanging out at a bar.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 3:44 AM

Goodbye plot device.

You were on the verge of being such a good character, because you were played brilliantly, but the moment they decided that you were never the endgame (in other words in Season 1 when they shot that footage with the kids) it should have been sealed that we never SHOULD get to know you.  The story DEMANDED you be a cipher if you weren't the endgame. 

The greed of the extra year did that.  Of course making the REAL endgame, Robin, such a waste of space for years before that already doomed the whole plan.  You being wonderful only made it worse.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 7:42 AM

And technically, we learned it way back in season 1.

We did? When did they say her name in season 1?

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 7:52 AM

We did? When did they say her name in season 1?

I believe we learned it in the episode (not sure if it was season 1 though) where Ted met a stripper(?) named Tracy, told the kids "and that's how I met your mother", the kids reacted by being in complete shock, and then Ted told them that he was just joking.  The kids wouldn't have been surprised if the mother's name hadn't been Tracy as well, so I think that's why some fans have believed that to be her name all along.

Edited by politikgirl, Apr 1, 2014 @ 8:57 AM.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

Thanks- I remember that now.

Lolita Swann

Lolita Swann

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 12:48 PM

Her pilot is "A to Z" and is kinda the opposite of this show (which is ultimately about going from meeting Robin to ending up with Robin). It's about a relationship "from meeting to breakup." 

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

Damn it, I really liked Tracy!  And now I realize that everything great about her -- especially the well-written episode "How Your Mother Met Me" -- was all part of the writer's sadistic game to manipulate our emotions just for a contrived Ted and Robin endgame. 

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 4:19 PM

Yes...that story of her fiance dying is obviously now seen as some sort of attempt at cosmic love symmetry by the writers. Stupid

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

Yes...that story of her fiance dying is obviously now seen as some sort of attempt at cosmic love symmetry by the writers. Stupid

Which is just...I mean, her fiance dies, she finds love and then she dies. Shit.

That's a really, really odd choice for a sitcom plot.

tobiatoo

tobiatoo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 7:13 PM

Which is just...I mean, her fiance dies, she finds love and then she dies. Shit.

That's a really, really odd choice for a sitcom plot.

Oh, come on--she served her purpose in life as the chick who popped out the kids Ted's twu luv (who never loved him) could never have and then conveniently died so that Ted could pursue that woman, who he had realized multiple times didn't fit with him. Best.Love.Story.Ever.

(Two days later, and I'm still pissed over what utter bullshit that finale was. Thomas and Bays should never be allowed to write for TV again.) 

Edited by tobiatoo, Apr 3, 2014 @ 9:26 PM.

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 10:54 PM

And she WAS a bland Perfect Ted-clone but somehow I ended up totally buying the two of them as perfect for each other and being invested in them together.

I keep reading similar sentiments. I'm still wondering if it was the actress or the character, though. I really didn't care for either one. I didn't see anything in the show that made her out to be anything more than a sickeningly sweet Mary Sue. I can see that people like the actress even if I don't. 

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 8:28 PM

The best way I can explain it is the story is about Ted's life that gets him to the happily ever after. The happily ever after is in this case, represented by meeting the mother in the title. Ted's like Cinderella, and she's Prince Charming. Now, the details of Prince Charming's life don't matter. We don't need to know if she hates olives or likes coin collecting or thinks Radiohead is pretentious or works as an economist or whatever.

Because she isn't the point. We don't have to learn anything about her other than she makes Ted happy and is exactly what he wants. (Instead of a way for him to have kids while waiting for Robin to come around).

And for the record I don't think she was a Mary Sue. Just once, in her scene where she doesn't fall for Barney and instead urges him to go to Robin. But besides that, she was flawed. She let Darren push her around. She stayed with Lewis even though she wasn't in love with him. She seemed a little annoyed she wasn't married because Ted had some silly idea about a French castle. The point wasn't that she was perfect in general, but perfect FOR TED. That's why I liked the scene at the rooftop party at the apartment where Ted's wearing his hanging chad costume and she's a Florida voter. It was sweet. She gets him in a way none of his other girlfriends did.

Edited by clear, Apr 3, 2014 @ 8:52 PM.

samus

samus

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 2:36 PM

In general the writers sometimes probably overdid their similiarities (she didn't have to use driving gloves, collect coins, AND been a detective as a kid, one of those things would have been enough), but that is no slack against the actress.

Chemistry-wise, I really feel Ted and Tracy worked. I found them cute together in what we saw of them. I agree 100% with clear about the rooftop party. They nailed their connection there. If nothing else, the finale was nice because it meant spending more than 2 minutes of time on them as a couple.

I am only left wondering why the writers went to such great effort to find a great actress for the role and do all these preparations like chemistry testing her with Radnor and writing a super-sweet train station scene, if the end game was Ted and Robin all along. I realize her inclusion might have been the only way to get people to stay with them to the finale, but they also increased the risk of a backlash by potentially allowing the viewers to endear themselves to the mother's character.

Edited by samus, Apr 13, 2014 @ 2:38 PM.