16-18: 2013.05.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

73 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sewing, reading, yoga, performing arts, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

TV Guide sez:

The ninth-round results show features performances by the Wanted and Avril Lavigne. Also: a 10-year-old dancer who set a world record for consecutive pirouettes.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

Well, no big surprise there, I briefly had my hopes up when they put her in jeopardy, but knew it was just a ploy.   

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

Holy (string of expletives that would make a sailor blush) Sharna and Gleb and that bed were HOTTTTT!!! Oh my lord. Bring her back, please!!! And I shall miss Ingo and his devil may care attitude!

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

Well now that they have scared Zendaya's  fan base, she is gonna run away with it if she has a good freestyle and reprises the AT next week.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

DNW more super-sized freestyles. This season it feels like an excuse to use the troupe. Sorry, DWTS, but no amount of pimping is going to make me care about those stranger bitches.

I wanted to hug Zendaya when she was announced as being in jeopardy. She looked like she was about to either cry or throw up. Probably both. Sometimes it's easy for me to forget that she's only 16 years old. (Right up until she opens her mouth, anyway.) 

"You remind me of my brother. He's 12." LOL. Kellie's funny. As much as her dumb hick act can get on my nerves sometimes - I loathe how "acting stupid" is supposed to be cute, although to be fair I don't know how much of it is acting on Kellie's part - she just seems so nice with a good sense of humor. Too bad she's paired with Rosemary's Baby. 

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

Somehow despite the bad edits he was given throughout the season, Ingo still comes across as a super nice guy.  I am glad that at least by the end they showed him and Kym having fun together.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

I like Sharna and Gleb, but any dance that features an actual bed just becomes automatically cheesy for me. 

Predictable.  Ingo/Kym clearly knew it would be them.  Ingo was a class act.  No surprise that they would make Zendaya be the one to sweat it out after last night, though they were clear with the not necessarily B2, so still no indication of voting regarding the Top 4.  

Should be a competitive finale, I'll say that much.  It might be the predictable Top 4 since the beginning, but it's the most deserving celebs IMO.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

Hear Hear, they were so hot in the wind machine. I was also impressed with the young singer covering a drake rap song.

Holy (string of expletives that would make a sailor blush) Sharna and Gleb and that bed were HOTTTTT!!! Oh my lord. Bring her back, please!!! And I shall miss Ingo and his devil may care attitude! 

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

Ingo leaving was a no-brainer, as was Zendaya being put in jeopardy which I don't think for one minute means she actually was in the bottom 2. I continue to love that kid, mature and classy as always. She was disappointed and a little nervous, it was obvious on her face but she maintained her composure and easy-going nature.

But that also looked like fire in her eyes - I for one am looking forward to her coming out with a vengeance next week. Oh and no whining by either her or Val about their scores and performance in the confessional. Val really is amazingly different from his brother, at least when it comes to this show.

Edited by dancingonmyown, May 14, 2013 @ 9:10 PM.

superdeluxe

superdeluxe

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

I hate that they put Zendaya "in jeopardy" even though it was obvious that they were going to do that.  Her fans are too young and too stupid to understand that she wasn't really in the bottom two.  That may have just sealed the win for her.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

Val really is amazingly different from his brother, at least when it comes to this show.

I don't know if it's good or bad, but both Zendaya and Val seem to internalize everything.  I've never seen them complain about scores, even in the interviews last night, but Val was a tad distracted.  Which is what seems to happen when he's in his head and thinking too much.  I think he felt like he let her/them down with the quickstep routine, which he pretty much confirmed tonight.   Though I very much appreciate that Val doesn't talk back the judges, rarely complains about scores, and generally encourages his celebs to do the same.  He's very un-Maks in that way.

I hate that they put Zendaya "in jeopardy" even though it was obvious that they were going to do that.  Her fans are too young and too stupid to understand that she wasn't really in the bottom two.  That may have just sealed the win for her.

It's not just young fans.  I don't think many at home ever hear the "B2" or "not necessarily B2" announcements.  Heck, often when they do a B3 people assume that the 3rd person is really in jeopardy.  I don't think it has a thing to do with young or old fans.  Nor do I think stupid only pertains to young fans.

Edited by spanana, May 14, 2013 @ 9:20 PM.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

I was surprised to see what a stunning dance couple Peta and Dmitry make - I don't usually like Peta's dancing or physical appearance, but she and Dmitry seemed made for each other.

What an odd season (as people have said before) for totally unsurprising eliminations.

I love Zendaya and Val.  They are an awesome partnership.

Sharna is just all kinds of awesome too.  I loved her face at the beginning of that dance.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

Little Sophia was just adorable. Smart of the producers to surround her with the generic blondes of the Troupe so the focus would be on her. I heard though that doing all those  pirouettes isn't actually healthy for a dancer her age who is still growing?

Loved seeing Anna again.

I don't buy for a moment that Zendaya was really in the bottom two but I felt bad for her still. She looked like 12 in her hip hop outfit.

If this is the penultimate Tuesday night results show it was pretty meh. The paltry attempts to celebrate the 300th show kind of fell flat too.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of another season of "supersized" freestyles. I love Gabby Douglas and Kyla Ross but I hope to God Aly's teammates aren't invited to participate in Aly's freestyle. Same goes for Shawn Johnson.

Edited by sintin, May 14, 2013 @ 9:18 PM.

peacefulsong

peacefulsong

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

Zendaya always looks terrified when waiting to see if she's safe or not. She seriously looked like she was going to throw up when they said she wasn't.  Not that I believe for a minute that she was in the bottom two.  But her fans are pre teen girls largely, and if there's anything pre teen girls know how to do, it's rally behind their idols.  Fine by me, I'll be voting for her. I love that kid, and I love Val, and I want them to win.

LOVED Gleb and Sharna's dance.  Sharna is awesome and I am pretty fond of Gleb, too.  For as gorgeous as he is, he's got a funny kind of awkwardness off the dance floor that I find really endearing.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

I heard though that doing all those  pirouettes isn't actually healthy for a dancer her age who is still growing?

I think it might only be a problem if you're doing the pirouettes en pointe? I wasn't paying enough attention to Sophia to see if she was en pointe or not. 

Bavct

Bavct

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

Well, who would have thunk it?  Those four in the finals.  Pardon me while I yawn my surprise. 

Too bad they didn't save the most shocking elimination ever for tonight, then at least something this season would have been interesting. 

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Whew Jesus thank God Zendaya made the finals. I called these finalist from the beginning. I think this competition is between Kellie, Jacoby and Zendaya. 

simba12

simba12

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:22 PM

Jacoby isn't gonna win...he has third place written all over him...

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

Whew Jesus thank God Zendaya made the finals. I called these finalist from the beginning. I think this competition is between Kellie, Jacoby and Zendaya. 

I don't know, I feel like TPTB all but reassured her that she wouldn't come in 4th in her package last night.

Well, since it seemed to work so well for Kellie and Derek I guess they thought they'd try that trick again.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

But her fans are pre teen girls largely, and if there's anything pre teen girls know how to do, it's rally behind their idols.  Fine by me, I'll be voting for her. I love that kid, and I love Val, and I want them to win.

I'm not a pre-teen girl, not by a long long shot, but I'll rally behind her too.  I had never even heard of her before this show started but she wowed me with her first dance and every week since.  The girl is majorly talented and she's such a sweetie.  I wasn't fond of Val before and especially didn't like his and Kelly's faux love affair last year but he's really impressed me with how he's treated Zendaya and his choreography for her has been stunning.  I so hope they can win next week.

superdeluxe

superdeluxe

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

With the way they've been pimping Zendaya all season and Aly the last few weeks, you figure they want them as the top 2 since they're trying to court that young demographic.  I hope Kellie and Jacoby put a wrench in those plans.

Edited by superdeluxe, May 14, 2013 @ 9:32 PM.

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

DNW more super-sized freestyles. This season it feels like an excuse to use the troupe. Sorry, DWTS, but no amount of pimping is going to make me care about those stranger bitches.

I wanted to hug Zendaya when she was announced as being in jeopardy. She looked like she was about to either cry or throw up. Probably both. Sometimes it's easy for me to forget that she's only 16 years old. (Right up until she opens her mouth, anyway.) 

"You remind me of my brother. He's 12." LOL. Kellie's funny. As much as her dumb hick act can get on my nerves sometimes - I loathe how "acting stupid" is supposed to be cute, although to be fair I don't know how much of it is acting on Kellie's part - she just seems so nice with a good sense of humor. Too bad she's paired with Rosemary's Baby. 

Stranger bitches and Rosemary's Baby are two of the funniest things I've ever heard. You literally just made my night.

I knew it was the 300th episode because obviously they announved it but I didn't KNOW due to their shitty approach to it. Wow, let's have an opening number with some familiar faces and that's it. Okay.
The B2 situation was a joke. I'm pretty sure 99% of us knew that Ingo was going to go home. Yes I liked him but I believe as far as ability goes, when left between him and Zendaya, it was his time. Now if it were between he and Aly? Whole different ballgame. And again...the hottnes that was Sharna and Gleb...ahhh.

peacefulsong

peacefulsong

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

I think he felt like he let her/them down with the quickstep routine, which he pretty much confirmed tonight.

I remember Val saying something about how he wished he'd done better for Sherri Shepherd too when she was eliminated.  He seems to take his role as teacher very seriously, and I think he feels like if his partner doesn't succeed it's not because they just weren't good enough but because he didn't give them what they needed to be successful.  I've always liked him for that.

JenCrush

JenCrush

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

Though I very much appreciate that Val doesn't talk back the judges, rarely complains about scores, and generally encourages his celebs to do the same.

He's very un-Maks in that way.

I've noticed that also.  I never liked Maks.  Val doesn't give me the arrogant vibe that Maks did.  I also think Val is an excellent choreographer and shows real artistry.

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Speaking as a 35-year old guy, I can't say I was surprised by or worried about Zendaya's being in the faux bottom two, but I'm glad she made the finals. She and Kellie are far and away the class of the season in terms of their dancing, and it would have made a mockery of the show had she been a shocking elimination.

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

What an odd season (as people have said before) for totally unsurprising eliminations.

Maybe they're saving it for the finale where we'll have an Aly win.

With the way they've been pimping Zendaya all season and Aly the last few weeks, you figure they want them as the top 2 since they're trying to court that young demographic.  I hope Kellie and Jacoby put a wrench in those plans.

The whole notion of one individual being "pimped" by the judges is so subjective to me. Because I don't understand how Zendaya has been pimped this season but Kellie hasn't? While Zendaya may have gotten the first perfect score and the first 10's, Kellie was never exactly dismissed by the judges. 

She's gotten good to great reviews from all the judges from WK. 1, save for Carrie Ann's one time saying she misses the emotional connection in her dancing and Len having a mental breakdown over their Paso for which he was more bothered by the choreography rather than their dancing. I think she's been incredibly overscored at times, particularly that Samba that got two 10's. And hell one week she didn't even have to worry about being eliminated and got a night off. 

Zendaya got 8's last night and this was the semi-finals. As for Jacoby, personally I think he's been overscored a lot so I just don't really buy the notion that Zendaya has somehow been unfairly pimped and Jacoby or Kellie especially hasn't. I will agree that I think Aly has been overscored a lot in recent weeks though.

Edited by dancingonmyown, May 14, 2013 @ 10:21 PM.

Janie1130

Janie1130

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

Could have done without a lip synching Avril Lavine. Wait maybe that was better than her actually singing. Thank God for fast forward.

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

Aww, I love it when the kids come home- Dmitry! Anna! Chelsie! I noticed that Anna was in about four dances tonight, a fact that I am totally okay with. I did notice a non-Pro, non-Troupe guy in the first dance; I wonder if he was a fill-in for Tristan. Weird that they wouldn't just use one of the troupe guys.

The elimination was obvious and Ingo was totally okay with it. But how did we not get one last segment with Peanut (featuring his buddies Andy Dick and Jacoby)?!

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Classy exit, Ingo -- especially considering that he's been wearing a big blinking sign of "Why bother?!?" over his head since last week.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

Loved Sophia.  She is supremely confident as a dancer, yet she is still a young girl emotionally.  I wish her all the best.

I also loved the huge "300" number.   For me, it was the smartest use of an oversize crew and it evoked an effervescence appropriate to the celebration.  It was also the best execution of a Busby Berkeley top camera the show had ever tried.  Really good.

Sharna is easily the revelation of this season.  I certainly hope she is retained, despite the likely downsizing of the cast for next season.

As others noted, there is no way Zendaya was truly in jeopardy.  I'd bet almost anything that we will get a precise re-do of these past two weeks:  A "surprise" first announcement that a low-scoring couple made it through, followed the next week by their ouster.  Mama Jacoby is not gonna be a happy camper next week.

The cast-with-camera gimmick worked well, too.  We got some glimpses of actual personality and not just the projected image so carefully hewn and adhered to.