The Bridge (2013 FX Series)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

15 replies to this topic

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

I've been seeing a bunch of teasers for it lately, but it looks like they released the first trailer for it.  It's a crime show about a body being found on a bridge that connects El Paso, Texas and Juarez, Mexico, that leads to an American detective (Diane Kruger) teaming up with a Mexican detective (Demian Bichir).  It will debut on July 10 and is based off a series by the same name in 2011 that was set on a bridge between Demark and Sweden.

I'm automatically going to be watching because FX is really becoming one of my favorite networks (The Shield, Justified, and, recently, The Americans.)  Haven't seen Bichir's work, but I know he's been nominated for an Academy Award, and have heard a lot of good things about him.  On the other hand, I do know Kruger and am a bit more mixed.  She was pretty good in Inglorious Basterds, but awful in the National Treasure films; then again, I think Justin Bartha was the only person who came out looking good.  Even Helen Mirren and Sean Bean were just meh.  Wasn't a fan of her version Helen in Troy either.  Maybe she'll be a better fit here.

Edited by thuganomics85, May 14, 2013 @ 2:11 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

I haven't seen the trailer and don't want to spoil myself so I try to avoid trailers of shows I intend to watch, but I will say the promos had me intrigued enough to want to tune in.

On the other hand, I do know Kruger and am a bit more mixed. She was pretty good in Inglorious Basterds, but awful in the National Treasure films;

IMO you're being too nitpicky, just enjoy the pretty. :)

Edited by bulldawgtownie, May 14, 2013 @ 2:24 PM.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

This is based on a Swedish series, kind of like The Killing is based on a Danish series.

So will the US version do the original justice?  Or will they botch it like The Killing season 1?

Jamie38

Jamie38

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

The mini promos were intriguing, and I liked the Americans so I'll be tuning in.

As far as Diane Kruger goes, I'll reserve judgment. National Treasure was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, but there was certainly lots of blame to go around for that piece of crap.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

I'm interested.

National Treasure sucked, but I thought Diane Kruger was doing a good job playing a non-neurotypical woman (as I believe her character is supposed to be).

We might at the very least get a season of good TV out of it.  At least there's less opportunity for there to be some kind of tortured "forbidden romance" bullshit that consumes the plot (*ahem*Homeland*ahem*).

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up about this. I'd read the remake was being made, but I had no idea it was airing this year. 

My friends in Denmark didn't enjoy Forbrydelsen (The Killing), so I didn't bother to watch the American remake, but I've been curious about the Scandinavian shows (The Killing, Borgen, The Bridge) that have been so popular in the UK, so I'm going to check this remake out.

The trailer was creepy. It may not be my cup of tea.

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

I'm in.  I've been catching the previews.  Very creepy.  I'm not sure what to make of it yet.  Let's hope it's nothing like the American The Killing.  (bad memories.)

noisack

noisack

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

So will the US version do the original justice?

If you're at all in the position to do so, e.g. as the owner of a region-free DVD/Blu-Ray player, I urge you to catch up with the original before taking a chance with the remake.

Bron consists of 10 tight hour-long episodes that move like a train and tell a coherent story with a definite conclusion.

While it's hard to imagine that anyone could screw it up as badly as Veena Sud did Forbrydelsen (at least the half of The Killing that I endured), I still have my concerns. For one, I can't abide Diane Kruger. She definitely has the hard shell needed for her character, but unfortunately she's all shell. She's never shown me that she's capable of the layers that Saga Norén slowly reveals. And while Demian Bichir is a fine actor, he's not an icon like Kim Bodnia. Bichir can turn on the charm required for his character, but that charm is supposed to be easy. He simply can't match Bodnia's unforced charisma.

I barely made it through the Homeland pilot -- before running off to fall in love with its inspiration Hatufim -- so I have no reference point for Bridge showrunner Meredith Stiehm's abilities. Still, I can safely say that there is absolutely no down side to checking out Bron before having it spoiled by what's likely to be a paler copy.

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

Having loved and adored 'The Bridge' in the original Scandinavian form, as well as having seen the horror that is the US Killing, I feel more than a little anxious about this.  Not to mention that any former of Saga Norén would be a tough ask for any actor (and I loved Sofia Helin in the role - and I actually have Asperger's, like Saga's, high functioning - I think she nailed it).  And I doubt they could out-do that finale, what a kickass way to end a show!

We shall see....

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

I'm watching Bron now, and I like it very much. Curious to see how the premise translates to a North American context. 

retrograde85

retrograde85

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

I loved Bron / Broen, so I'm willing to give this a go. I'll also be watching the French/English version, The Tunnel. One cool thing about the original that neither will have is that Danish and Swedish are mutually intelligible languages. But I think there are some interesting opportunities in the US series to explore the vast differences between a developed and a developing country that the other two can't. The only thing I'm concerned about the US version changing from the original is

Spoiler

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

In reference to the spoiler tag - 'Tis my fear too.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 6:41 PM

Well, God knows what would happen if

Spoiler

kimberella

kimberella

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 4:21 AM

Regarding the spoiler,

Spoiler

I'm looking forward to this show. It looks good and the cast is great.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

We have a full forum for this show now, so please continue your discussion there.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:26 PM

Glad this is getting a full forum, FX has been on a good run lately and I'm definitely checking this out.