10-1: "Audition City No. 1" 2013.05.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

From zap2it: http://tvlistings.za...0000&aid=zap2it

Dancers perform for the judges.

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

I am utterly enthralled with that dancer who wore the tutu around his neck. Can't remember his name right now, but... wow. Utterly gorgeous movements. He's going to be one to keep an eye on.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 8:06 PM

Their treatment of the Haka dance was bizarre - it was like they'd never seen or heard of it before (believable for the two Americans; not so believable for Cat or Nigel) and they did not tell the audience what they were watching when I bet dollars to doughnuts that the guy explained it.  Maybe I'm wrong and it wasn't a haka - maybe it was some other type of dance, but how am I to know if they don't explain what I'm watching? And if Nigel included it because he thought the tongue display was amusing, that is just another example of his ignorance.

Edited by crowceilidh, May 14, 2013 @ 10:38 PM.

donnamarie

donnamarie

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

am utterly enthralled with that dancer who wore the tutu around his neck. Can't remember his name right now, but... wow. Utterly gorgeous movements. He's going to be one to keep an eye on.

Elijah. I cannot wait to see him progress through the competition. I also loved Paul, the Latin Ballroom dancer who won SYTYCD Armenia. He was stunning. With all the contemporary dancers that will inevitably be in the competition, I just feel he will bring something polished and different to the show.

I thought they sent the little short haired blonde through to Vegas because she was cute, little and blonde.

Also didn't like Fiction. There's a huge difference between street entertainer and dancer IMO.

gik910

gik910

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

Elijah was mesmerizing.  While I love big tricks as much as the next person- his was really just  beautiful art made of pure movement.  The little touches were just so perfect.

Oh man- that softball player knee collapse was horrible.  There was no need to add sound editing monkeys!  It was bad enough.  Bravo for her going on still ... 

The little asian ballerina looks cute- I would like to see more of her.

Most important- I am so glad to see Cat Deeley back on my screen

And the thing I love most about the auditions is how supportive all the dancers are of each other.

Armen Way was a decent enough dancer (not Pasha or Dimtri good) but may have some serious douche tendancies so my jury is out on him.  I did like Paul--I hope we have a good crop of ballroom people this year.  It also seems like there might be a decent amount of good hip hop dancers on hand this year (good as in cross-trainable)

I would have sent the brothers to choreo.

Edited by gik910, May 14, 2013 @ 9:00 PM.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

Also didn't like Fiction. There's a huge difference between street entertainer and dancer IMO

He may have said "street entertainer" since that's what he wanted his hook to be, but I thought it was clear he's pretty strong in hip hop - he was executing some pretty difficult glides, and his isolations were sick.

That blonde girl (Elise?) won her way into my heart after messing with Nigel about being partially deaf. You could practically see him light up when he thought she had a disability he could exploit. I loved her dancing though; her legs looked amazing.

I felt bad for the dancer who's knee dislocated, but I wouldn't have sent her to Vegas. Everything she was doing looked really labored to me, and the look on her face was distracting - like she was trying to suppress a smile and was failing.

Elijah was absolutely fantastic, and I liked the SYTYCD Armenian winner who's name I'm blanking on right now. Strong start to the season.

Edited by bparhad, May 14, 2013 @ 9:40 PM.

Janie1130

Janie1130

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

So happy my favorite show has returned!!!

presto

presto

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

I loved Elijah, but overall I thought most of them were impressive.

Seeing that "the Exorcist" returned to try again makes me happy. I hope we won't have to wait long for his audition city to be shown.

kaberi

kaberi

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

My two favorite aspects to this show: (1) No more time wasted on people who Think They Can Dance but Really Can't, and (2) Not spending the entire show building up to the girl who dislocated her knee. They still left her fate up to the end, but they didn't preview every commercial break with that footage of her falling.

And, although I understand why they didn't put the 818 brothers through to choreography, I wish they would have. The outcome would likely have been the same, but they would have been paying a bit more respect to them. Nigel said, "Anything this show can do for you to help your cause, we'll do" but apparently giving them a few seconds more screen time wasn't an option.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:26 PM

I hope Malece gets cut early because I don't know how much I can take of her mother.

Why did they send Fick-Shun straight to Vegas instead of to choreo?

morgankobi

morgankobi

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

Nigel...sigh. Why do you have to say someone is "really good at what you do" and can't just say you were really good?

I thought the Armenian winner was going to be pompous, but he seemed really grateful and impressed to be compared to Benji.

Am so surprised at the lack of joke auditions. It was nice, but then I somehow felt we didn't see that many auditions total. Weird.

sonk

sonk

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:36 AM

I really loved the fact that weren't any joke auditions and I hope that's a lasting trend through the auditions. I don't mind a few of them (mostly if they're in a montage) but I hate how they usually take up way too much time on this show and others like it (and thus take valuable time away from "real" dancers). 

I didn't think Malece was an incredible dancer, but she was good, and I LOVED her personality. Her messing with Nigel about being partially deaf was just so funny and she's completely adorable. I'll be happy if she gets through Vegas. 

The girl with the injury seemed sweet but I wasn't too impressed by her dancing (although props to her for pushing through and dancing despite her knee). Also, I was a bit confused--she said she gave up softball a year or two ago for dancing, but I was unclear on how long she'd actually been dancing (since she said she didn't have any childhood pictures of her as a dancer). It almost sounded like she's only been dancing for a few years, but that seems impossible.

I also love Paul and I bet he'll make it onto the show. 

Gardencrown

Gardencrown

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:49 AM

Wow, I think that my cynical, tired self needs to rewatch this episode because I was fairly unimpressed with everyone.

I agree that Malece (is that even a name?) had a sweet personality, and she was fine, you know...fine...but she didn't make me sit up and take notice.  And I'm getting tired of the "My mom worked 67 jobs, and we never ate anything but baked beans for 8 years," stories.  They never say, "And jeebus, my siblings hate me because they're damned sick of baked beans in exchange for my dance lessons."

Paul was good, though I kind of wonder if someone who has won in another country should be eligible.  I didn't like Elijah.  The tutu?  Eh.  I just didn't see a lot of vocabulary of movement.  But it will be interesting to seehim in Vegas -- he seemed like a sweet enough guy.  That Armen dude was good, but yeah at the level of douchery.

So happy my favorite show has returned!!!

Honestly, I feel this way too.  Maybe I'm just grumpy and my mood will improve tonight.

I'm gonna go yell at some damn kids to get off my lawn!

presto

presto

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 6:35 AM

Malece is a name that my iPad wants to auto-correct to Malice. Anyway, she makes me think of what a judge, probably Adam, said to somebody in a previous season: "You're sooo So You Think You Can Dance." She has the elfin quality of Melanie, the blondness that Nigel loves, and something that just makes it easy to picture her in the final two girls. Oh, and her dancing is good, but I don't exactly remember it. What I remember is her cuteness and her personality, two things that Nigel finds irresistible. The back story she got does suggest that we'll see a lot of her. I'm not sure if I like her yet, but I can easily see her going far.

njbarmaid

njbarmaid

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

I rewatched Armen Way's music video, I swear Iveta (S8) is the blonde washing the car.  Is it just me?

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

If Malece wasn't partially deaf before her audition I suspect she was afterwards when her mother kept screaming as she hugged her.

Elijiah's "That's what I was going for! Androgyny!!" was the highlight of the episode, although I'm still surprised Nigel's head didn't explode.

FluteGirl

FluteGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

Anyway, she makes me think of what a judge, probably Adam, said to somebody in a previous season: "You're sooo So You Think You Can Dance."

That was Mary last year, after Megan Branch's audition.

I may be a little obsessed with this show.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

Also didn't like Fiction. There's a huge difference between street entertainer and dancer IMO.

I'm like 75% certain I've seen that guy performing in Vegas.  I believe it was out in front of Bally's and Paris.  And there were a group of guys doing the same thing he was doing.  And they were all really good at this style.

shortpplfedup

shortpplfedup

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

Actually, Adam said it to S5's Jason.

Electruck

Electruck

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

I rewatched Armen Way's music video, I swear Iveta (S8) is the blonde washing the car.  Is it just me?

I agree that is Iveta. Jaymz from season 2 is also in it, as is at least one other dancer from the DWTS Las Vegas show (Irina, the blonde washing the car with Ivetta).

I think Armen auditioned for SYT last season, too, as I could swear I'd spotted a very fast shot of him. I was surprised he was never shown again, as his DWTSLV program bio said he'd trained in a variety of styles.

I'm thrilled we've already seen some good ballroom dancers! I hope it's not an LA fluke and we get to see more.

Edited by Electruck, May 15, 2013 @ 12:05 PM.

BensBritches

BensBritches

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

So happy to have this show back, but it seemed so short. I think my brain had planned on a 2-hour show so when it ended I felt slighted. 

Elijiah's "That's what I was going for! Androgyny!!" was the highlight of the episode, although I'm still surprised Nigel's head didn't explode.

Hee... me too!  I sort of thought Nigel was throwing it out there as a bit of a negative, but Elijah was just so happy to be recognized for his androgyny.  It made me smile and love him all the more.  I am really looking forward to what else he can do, but in truth I'm really looking forward to seeing more of his body!  Man that was a thing of beauty.

Armen Way was a decent enough dancer (not Pasha or Dimtri good) but may have some serious douche tendancies so my jury is out on him.

I thought he was only OK in terms of his dancing, particularly compared to Paul (who I really liked).  But the douche-o-meter in our house was pinging quite loudly for Armen.  I will also agree to reserve judgment on him... I thought it was sort of funny, in a naive way, he seemed to think the height of "cool" for a music video was bikini-clad girls washing cars.

I thought Malece was very cute, but I can't remember a thing about her dancing.  I think she's right up the SYTYCD alley, so I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of her.  The other female, the one with the dislocated knee- she didn't do much for me, but it's hard to tell if that was due to the injury or not.  I thought she looked heavy in her movements and did nothing that every other comtemporary girl hasn't done already, several times better.

Lurkey

Lurkey

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

I'm absurdly delighted that this is back; I shimmied all over the kitchen to the theme song while making popcorn. This season, I also cajoled my mother into watching in the hope she'd get hooked...so naturally she called me after the first knee-dislocation teaser and moaned "I'm going to be SICK." I don't think that won her over!

I share the overall impressions of much of this thread:

• Malece (and that is a made-up Mormon name if ever I heard one) is cute and blond and so a shoo-in, though her dancing immediately vanished from my head; I adored her for screwing with Nigel though.
  • Elijah, too, is most memorable for his delighted shrieking about androgyny, after all his evil-eye, badass tutu-headed slinking about. I'll enjoy seeing more of him.
  • Oh gracious, Armen Hammah, dial it down, hon.
  • I watch all the street, hip-hop, and b-boy dancers with total awe. It doesn't always mesh with the other styles on this show (I looooved Cyrus, would happily have watched him for hours, but didn't think he should've made it to the final last season if truth be told) but man, it is riveting.

I think I watch and love this show much like I do Project Runway: it's a serious competition, but in something I absolutely cannot comprehend. You can take some cloth and some two-dimensional drawings and then A MIRACLE OCCURS and it's a gown??? You, like me, have two arms and two legs and then A MIRACLE OCCURS and you can make them go like THAT?!? Holy shit, week after week. :) 

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

Somebody on facebook commented that we didn't need to see the girl's knee dislocate six times, and the person who does SYTYCD's facebook page snarked at them.  Not the way to win fans, I don't think.

zookeepertx

zookeepertx

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

I was really annoyed with the guy that won Armenia's version being allowed to compete. I don't think he should be eligible & hope he gets cut in Vegas. I honestly didn't even think he was really that good!

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

Why shouldn't he be allowed to compete?

Mertseger

Mertseger

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

Somebody on facebook commented that we didn't need to see the girl's knee dislocate six times, ...

Hey, if they didn't tease an injury 50 times, how would we know it's still SYTYCD? I must say, though, the main segment on her resulted in the strangest comercial return after an injury lead-into a break they've ever done. We've carried this dancer's story to the moment of her collapse, and then: we're back, let's talk about some other dancers for a bit. Two minutes later: what? Oh, her? Her knee's bandaged and she's good to go. Psych.

Did Mary have a moment of enlightenment where she has decided to resist her addiction to The Train Which Shall Not Be Named? It begins by admitting you have a problem, Mary. We're all here for you. You may wish to tackle your addiction to The Scream as well.

luvthepros

luvthepros

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

I replayed it three times. Yes, agree with you that is Iveta Lucociute.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

I'd like to see Fik Shun try Samba, with those hips of his. I fell in love with him. And Paul. Paul was so smooth and cute. And did like he could do contemporary like a champ. I hope both of them do very well. 

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 1:04 AM

I agree that Malece (is that even a name?) had a sweet personality, and she was fine, you know...fine...but she didn't make me sit up and take notice.  And I'm getting tired of the "My mom worked 67 jobs, and we never ate anything but baked beans for 8 years," stories.  They never say, "And jeebus, my siblings hate me because they're damned sick of baked beans in exchange for my dance lessons."

Yeah, I was wondering if they let her through because they didn't know how to say, "Your mom sacrificed your house so you could be just okay at dance." She was completely forgettable dance-wise and being a sweet pixie shouldn't get you more than choreo. And Mom's soooo living vicariously through her daughter while the other (at least) two kids are living out of whatever cardboard box they're currently in while the family cash goes to dance lessons.

SistaLadybug

SistaLadybug

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

My daughter and I rewatched this episode last night and she said (about Malece), "She's not dancing, Mom.  She's strutting around, posing, and flipping.  She's doing all those very well, but there doesn't seem to be any dancing happening."