8-24: "Something New" 2013.05.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

185 replies to this topic

Atropos

Atropos

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading, writing, screenwriting, journalism, public relations.

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 6:54 PM

The kind of love she's talking about isn't a choice, but I'd argue that's not really love at all. It's infatuation - eyes meeting across a crowded room, electricity, etc. That stuff doesn't last forever, and people expecting it to is what causes so many good relationships to be thrown away, marriages to end, and so on.

MarenAte

MarenAte

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

So, I just caught the Intervention episode that came right before Ted's failed wedding with Stella.  Robin is completely bored by the idea of Ted marrying Stella.  The only thing she's upset about is moving to Japan and leaving all she knows.  So now with the re-write of Robin having some kind of meltdown about Ted marrying Stella looks even more ridiculous to me.  In fact, at the Intervention, Robin's attitude was classic Robin "I'm hotter than she is, so whatever, I win." 

undecideable

undecideable

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

Completely sober does not always equal the same thought process as weepy drunk. 

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

Unless New York has enacted recent changes in its laws, only Superior Court judges are elected.  When one of them retires or is ill or dies in between elections, there is a process for appointment (technically "The Governor" but I believe New York is like most states in having a Judicial Commission that recommends these temporary judges.

But Municipal Judges (of whom there are many, many, many more - such as traffic court judges) are like rent-a-judges.  Here in California, even some cases that might eventually get to Superior Court (child custody cases, restraining orders) may initially be heard by a specially appointed Municipal Court judge.  I've seen some pretty unusual/less experienced lawyers get appointed to the Municipal bench, although I will say that all of them were active in their professional associations, had "real jobs" in law firms and were not just out of law school.  Marshall falls within the outer edge of the type of person who would get a Municipal Court appointment in California (similar to the judge in Night Court).  

So yeah, Marshall as Superior Court judge - implausible; Marshall as Municipal Court Judge/Traffic Circuit - plausible, perhaps even likely if New York is on a budget and looking to hire cheap young lawyers for these positions (as we're doing here in California).  Our Municipal commission uses statistical patterns to judge the judge and they have to do on-the-job training.

The Mother does look a lot like Lily - no surprise to me, there.  That the wedding still hasn't take place - well, just 'meh.'  Have not watched the whole episode and can't bring myself to conduct the research to find it online.  The writing was making me dislike all the characters, after slowly warming up to them in the first years, then really liking most of them (never a fan of Robin, was surprised to find myself caring about Barney), now the show has killed it for me.

Thanks all, for all the comments - I may actually watch again when they start the marathon of reruns before the new season.

Bazinga1987

Bazinga1987

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

So, I was watching season 4's "Shutter Island" on Netflix, where *SPOILER ALERT*(just in case) Stella leaves Ted at the altar. There is A LOT of emphasis put on "never invite an ex to your wedding" and how it just brings up unresolved issues. I couldn't help but think of this episode and Ted's SO NOT brilliant plan with Robin and the necklace. I couldn't help but wonder why the lesson from that failed engagement/wedding wasn't mentioned and how parallels were not pointed out. Also; it made me wonder why Ted is going to be at the wedding at all if even he, in the future, says "never invite an ex to your wedding." I wonder if what is going to happen at the wedding will have anything to do why he is so adamant about it...

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 10:52 PM

So, I just caught the Intervention episode that came right before Ted's failed wedding with Stella.  Robin is completely bored by the idea of Ted marrying Stella.  The only thing she's upset about is moving to Japan and leaving all she knows.  So now with the re-write of Robin having some kind of meltdown about Ted marrying Stella looks even more ridiculous to me.  In fact, at the Intervention, Robin's attitude was classic Robin "I'm hotter than she is, so whatever, I win."

Robin is now the Queen of non reaction no matter who it is.If you have seen the Farhampton episode, she is standing right next to Barney and Quinn when Barney removes Quinns bra. They then proceed to have sex in the kitchen, they return from having sex in the kitchen and the only reaction from Robin is relief in getting what ever she was picking out of her teeth, out. The writers must have forgotten what they wrote in season 7.

A few episodes later Robin and Barney are engaged.

Edited by rosetattoo, Jul 6, 2013 @ 10:53 PM.