Resale Royalty

• Please log in to reply

125 replies to this topic

orangepop

orangepop

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

Got so tired of hearing "it's on trend! It's on trend!" Really? Floral, black and white (I forget the rest) are so basic, that I think the clothes the models were wearing  came from the last time these trends were "in", about a few years ago. If it's not floral, it's animal patterns, if it's not black and white, it's color. Calling these things trends is a generous definition.

My favorite part of this episode was when the show was over, and Molly Ringwald peaked out, then Sue pushes her out onto stage. Molly protests, "we're not designers!" and Sue snarls Yes we are! haha

In retrospect, this show would have been a lot better if the producers didn't try to package these women as fashion experts. They all look like they need makeovers to me. Sue lecturing me on Prada is like hearing Ron Burgundy describe investigative journalism.

carrier76

carrier76

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 5:24 PM

In retrospect, this show would have been a lot better if the producers didn't try to package these women as fashion experts. They all look like they need makeovers to me. Sue lecturing me on Prada is like hearing Ron Burgundy describe investigative journalism.

Exactly. They dress like background extras from "thirtysomething."  Also, reciting designer labels every time you go through a closet, etc., doesn't mean you know fashion--it means you can read labels.  Well done.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 1:59 AM

I finally got around to watching the season finale, & I'm also confused as to the purpose of the fashion show. For one thing, the models sucked, they seemed to bobble a lot, & they all did a weird turn at the end. Were the people supposed to buy the clothes? I don't understand why they had to have a fashion show just to prove that they know what's fashionable, if they just hung stuff in the window people would be able to see if the clothes were fashionable. It just seemed like a useless exercise.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

In regards to the fashion show, way way way back in the day they used to do a fashion show at my college.  They'd partner with the co-ed business fraternity and would give tips to the kids on how to dress professionally on a budget using resale.  Then they'd have the fashion show to demonstrate the kinds of outfits you could put together and they'd have a few racks of business suits, blazers, dresses, etc that you could buy on the spot.  It worked out really well because that's actually what brought me to their store years and years ago - thinking that I could find something to wear for internship interviews or entry-level job interviews.  I remember a friend of mine found a great suit and bought it on the spot for like $30 - something very cheap. So it was good in the sense that it raised awareness to a new group of potential clients and gave some business fashion tips.

But this was weird - people who are really into fashion already know what the spring trends are and their VIP group likely can afford to go into Saks or Neimans and just buy the trendy stuff right when it comes out.  An educational "this is how you dress for work" fashion show makes sense.  A "these are the hot looks for summer" fashion show makes very little sense.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

That kind of fashion show sounds like a really good idea crazy_girl, & it makes sense. You're right about the VIP people too, unless the store was trying to get customers that would sell to them, instead of customers that would buy from them?

LadyScorpio

LadyScorpio

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2014 @ 2:48 PM

So are you saying the whole big store versus small store thing was a big fake out and just filler?  I guess I'm not surprised.  Also, the whole drama about lending out the items from the boudoir trend for the fashion show was boring as hell.  Were the black gown and Chanel shoes part of that trend?  It was boring and didn't make sense. 

I think some people appreciate them for their shapes, some of which are iconic.  I have a non-logo LV and I think the shape is the coolest thing ever.  But I agree with you, I think the brown on brown plasticized canvas logo bags are ugly, and I have to agree some of the appeal is that people know how much they cost.  I would always feel like I might get mugged because even the criminal element probably knows the LV logo bags and what they cost, in contrast to a really exclusive bag that only another fashionista would know. 

The closet visit -- that house was a sea of beige with dark wood in room after room.  That was so odd.  No personality at all.  Of course, Sue and Laura loved it. 

I thought Sue kind of offered way too little for that collection of stuff from the mom  They were drooling over the vintage Gucci and the Chanel tote and a couple of really expensive pairs of shoes and some nice dresses. 

Me too!

I also think the brown on brown bags are ugly, I've always thought that. I wonder if people really think they look good or if they like it just because it's expensive? I liked watching this show, does anyone know if it will come back on again?