1-20: "A Picture from Life's Other Side" 2013.05.15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

137 replies to this topic

Corralenos

Corralenos

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

I yearn for a return to the writing and character development from the pilot and first few episodes, which was nuanced and layered. We seem to have "progressed" to something else entirely: caricatures instead of characters, soap instead of drama.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

The unlocked box was ridiculous. Who keeps crucial secret papers in an unlocked box?! Interesting how Maddie overheard each of her parents saying ILY on the phone to someone else.

I figured out early on that Jolene would off Dante to save Juliette from the sex tape reveal. Although I can't stand her, I liked Scarlett singing at the Opry. Glad she wished up and dumped Gunnar. Hope she doesn't make a play for Will.

Juliette really needs someone like Bucky in her life. Perhaps Glenn will come back?

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 4:32 PM

I yearn for a return to the writing and character development from the pilot and first few episodes, which was nuanced and layered.

Me too.  I think that was my problem with the Juliette/Dante/Jolene storyline--it was just too soapy to care about.  They seem to be hinting that Avery will try to win back Scarlett.  I don't see Avery getting together with Juliette, at least unless their degree of success levels out.  She would have all the power and wouldn't hesitate to use it; I can't see that working for Avery.

Perhaps Glenn will come back?

I agree Juliette really needs someone who's willing to stand up and keep her from going off the deep end, and I'd love to see Glenn come back.  They would both need to compromise some but it would benefit both of them.

Edited by shron17, May 19, 2013 @ 4:33 PM.

Vickilyn

Vickilyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

I don't see Avery getting together with Juliette, at least unless their degree of success levels out.  She would have all the power and wouldn't hesitate to use it; I can't see that working for Avery.

I don't agree. I think Avery is going to continue working with Juliette professionally, and they're going to become close friends, who slowly evolve into something more. It may be that he will reunite with Scarlett temporarily, but I have a feeling Gunnar is going to re-enter the picture at some point. The writers seem to be rather un-subtly making Gunnar and Scarlett into Deacon and Rayna 2.0.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

The unlocked box was ridiculous. Who keeps crucial secret papers in an unlocked box?! Interesting how Maddie overheard each of her parents saying ILY on the phone to someone else.

I really wish that Maddie, who had something of a habit of pausing to overhear something rather crucial (another trope) had been told by Rayna at any point, "Maddie, you need to stop eavesdropping there, kiddo."  Just a mention would have been nice because it was cracking me up that this divorce/scandal/parentage plot kept developing over Maddie overhearing her parents being really careless about what they said to their "at least secret for now" paramours.   So I agree with an earlier poster, at least this was in character for Maddie.  

Also, I personally laughed my butt off over the big honking box of paternal secrets (that had a lock she apparently had to bust her way through, we saw the tools on the bed), because just last week in the episode thread I had told the story of a person I know finding their own adoption papers while going through dad's study and that kids get curious about things. 

At least they attempted to set it up a bit.  Maddie specifically said "Thirteen years ago" and "you dated him right before you married dad" (or words to that end) so it was kind of clear she was giving the math of it all a sidelong glance as it was.  

I can see keeping important papers locked away. Or just forgetting about a test taken twelve years ago.  Or not catching the hints from Maddie that she was doing a little gestating math and coming up with suspicious as the sum.   

The part I can't see is keeping the test in the first place.  Adoption papers?  You bet.  That's an important thing in case anyone or anything ever comes along to contest the legality of a particular individuals ties.  What if a birth mother shows up and wants her baby back?  The papers need to be there, and a safe deposit box is a better idea, and maybe multiple copies are an even better one.  This scenario though?     

I can't think of a scenario in the world where the "Teddy isn't your dad" paternity test is something worth keeping considering the big promise of never, ever telling we keep hearing that Rayna made. 

I think that was my problem with the Juliette/Dante/Jolene storyline--it was just too soapy to care about.

That's a little bit of my problem with the Paternity Drama.  The girl playing Maddie is so musically talented, she not only looks like an actual kid, she's a remarkably pretty girl and she clearly has a lot of gifts in life.  All that said?  The actor is too young to really sell this story much, she doesn't quite have enough life experience, it's just not the kind of stuff a thirteen year old singer who is primarily an untrained actor can embody.  She's trying her heart out and she's adorable, but between the straight-from-soap-opera "now seriously, why would any human being ever do THAT....let alone a group of these things..."  and the young actor trying but sort of clearly acting vs. experiencing this situation.  

Oh my goodness do they ever need to hand it over to the adults to play for it to stand a prayer and then it only has to overcome being fully absurd as it is.  

CTMSW

CTMSW

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Upon rewatch, I recognized that Juliette has the worst bodyguard ever.  They walk into the condo with a gun on the floor and two dead bodies in the room and he just stands there like a statue.  Fight-Flight-Freeze... Guess that bodyguard did not go to the same school as Kevin Costner.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

I really hope that all of this misery for Juliette could leave an opening for Sean to come back. The character has his issues, but I thought he could be good for her. Plus, I've always thought that it was kind of odd to bring him on in such a big way to drop him.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

The writers seem to be rather un-subtly making Gunnar and Scarlett into Deacon and Rayna 2.0.

That was probably the original plan, but I just don't see it lasting. The actors don't have enough chemistry together to pull off a romance at that level.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 4:03 AM

The unlocked box was ridiculous. Who keeps crucial secret papers in an unlocked box?!

The box wasn't unlocked. Amongst all the scattered papers were a nail file, a paper clip, a screw driver and other tools.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 7:07 AM

When this is all said and done, especially since we saw Maddie doing some math, Deacon's stupidity is so profound I see only one way out: what if he can't read or write? He doesn't need to, the way he plays guitar! Even then it's kind of a stretch that he has expressed absolutely no clue, and his comment about having a family with Rayna reinforces his not knowing. So maybe when he gets told that Maddie is thirteen and his affair with Rayna ended 13 1/2 years ago, he starts counting on his fingers or something. 

Maddie and the eavesdropping has become quite a thing, hasn't it? If they're going to continue with it, I hope they start making it funny. Same thing with the Scarlett Vortex. It took a guy like Will for a man to be able to resist her...

I can't stand unfounded moral superiority.

This has been my problem with Rayna all along. And she always gets of Scot-free. 

It's like, in life, when bad stuff happens to our leads, Rayna is Teflon and Juliette is Velcro. And it's not all because Rayna is lucky. The show does a great job I think showing that at least in part it's because Rayna handles things with grace and trusts people appropriately while Juliette is still bringing the trainwreck with her. 

bantering

bantering

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

Part of the reason Rayna keeping the paternity lie makes no sense to me is that Deacon and Rayna still spent so much time together. 

Even on  soap operas where paternity lies happen frequently the person lying about paternity usually tries to find a way to avoid the person they're keeping the secret from.

When Deacon was spending time with the girls singing on the guitar, I was a bit surprised Rayna wasn't freaking out that Deacon might notice some kind of physical resemblance. I know I would be.

The fact that Rayna hung around Deacon and was lying to his face is something I find great difficulty wrapping my head around. That's the hardest part of this storyline for me to fathom (that Rayna could lie so cool-ly about it without ever getting anxious). Deacon's inability to ever suspect anything is also difficult to understand, but I wonder if he sees Rayna as a much better person than the audience does and, as such, gives her the benefit of the doubt on everything.

That was probably the original plan, but I just don't see it lasting. The actors don't have enough chemistry together to pull off a romance at that level.

I think Scarlett is too different from Rayna.

On a tangential note, Scarlett has a lot more integrity than Rayna, but for whatever weird reason the former is greatly annoying to watch. (I have nothing against the actress though. I figure she's doing exactly what she's being directed to do).

As for Rayna, Connie Britton is the one that makes that character work. I've wondered how I'd react to Rayna if someone else played her, and chances are if that were the case I'd full-out hate the character. But since I can't hate Connie Britton...

Edited by bantering, May 20, 2013 @ 11:13 AM.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

They were totally going for it- I remember the anvils where it was expressly pointed out that Scarlett and Gunnar could be the next Rayna and Deacon, but the show seems to be backing off that.

I do find it pretty hilarious that Gunnar has more romantic chemistry with Will than he ever had with Scarlett, when Scarlett and Gunnar were supposed to be the Young Tentpole Couple of the Show.

Edited by MethodActor05, May 20, 2013 @ 10:39 AM.

Vickilyn

Vickilyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

I just hope they don't reunite Avery and Scarlett. They work as friends, but not lovers. They have no romantic chemistry, IMO.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

I think that the actor playing Will has a lot more charisma than does the actor playing Gunnar. Surprised that Scarlett hasn't begun to see it too.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 4:21 PM

The fact that Rayna hung around Deacon and was lying to his face is something I find great difficulty wrapping my head around. That's the hardest part of this storyline for me to fathom (that Rayna could lie so cool-ly about it without ever getting anxious). Deacon's inability to ever suspect anything is also difficult to understand, but I wonder if he sees Rayna as a much better person than the audience does and, as such, gives her the benefit of the doubt on everything.

This is actually why, no matter how much chemistry they have, I cannot is all seriousness ship Rayna and Deacon. Usually I can let a lot go for the sake of chemistry, but her lying to him in such a major way while maintaining a close personal relationship, one in which it seems she sometimes relied on him as an emotional crutch while he got little out of it except his addiction to her, is hard to accept.  And his corollary inability to count to nine is just icing on the dysfunctional cake.

I actually have less issue with the original lie.  We were specifically told that Deacon had been in and out of rehab 3 or 4 times before the last time which apparently coincided with Rayna’s pregnancy.  She really had no reason to believe that time would stick and could not have be comfortable that he would not quickly relapse for at least 2 or 3 years after he got out. (There is always the potential.) 

It also seems that whatever sent Deacon into rehab the last time was something really bad involving a friend (see his conversation with the reporter while in bed).  So Deacon was apparently completely out of control.  So I get Rayna deciding not to raise her child with someone so unstable.  Fine.  It’s a lie and probably not right, but is not the worst thing ever done.   She was protecting her child.

What baffles me is that she continued the lie and also continued her relationship with Deacon.  She can’t have it both ways.  You can’t decide that you want him in your life and have this close, near [ or possibly actual] co-dependent relationship with the man and LIE TO HIM EVERY DAY.  It's just not right.  And it's even worse in the context of their renewed intimacy. But again, Deacon and his Rayna-addiction apparently participated in this charade through diligent willful stupidity.

Edited by RachelKM, May 21, 2013 @ 10:26 AM.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

Mod Reminder: Do not post about previews in episode threads. They are off-topic, and this is covered in the FAQ and the Dos & Don'ts. I have deleted all the posts in the thread from last night through this morning because they were doing this.

You may certainly discuss previews, but in the Speculation thread.

FAQ:

Please note that previews and commercials for the next episode are not about the current episode, and therefore should go to the speculation thread.

Dos & Don'ts:

Spoilers and Speculation Dos and Don'ts
DO
put spoilers in spoiler tags
DO know what is and isn't a spoiler
DO be aware of show-specific spoiler policies
DO double check your spoiler tags after you post to make sure they worked
DON'T use spoilers tags for anything but spoilers
DON'T discuss the previews for the next episode in the current episode topic; take it to speculation.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

This is a big part of the reason I barely had any reaction to this week's episode.  Even when I gladly extend the elastic quality of my disbelief for the sake of "hey, it's a nighttime soap, stuff is going to be a little bit overblown on the most restrained of days, 'cause that's the genre" this one is baffling me a bit.  It's clear that Deacon was meant to be a nightmare drunk at the time, because that's the only reason on this verdant Earth that he could have failed to do some very simple math.  

So, okay, that part I accept.  At the time, it was the best thing to do according to Rayna who had lost a parent and thought she knew that it was best to  have two and furthermore, had an actual character reason for that. Okay, done and doner.  However, it's stuff like "But Deacon was in her band for the next ten years plus."  Perhaps even more importantly, Teddy, who doesn't seem to be all that secure about the situation, never said "And part of our 'forever and ever never tell, pink swear, spit and poke me in the eye while wishing for death, Amen!' deal is that you cut ties with this, the most toxic of men who you do not deem fit to be a father to his kid."  

It's just that there is stuff in the story that kind of defies how the minds human beings work.  It's not just Rayna, or Teddy or Duncan or any of them.  The plot is sort of held together by bailing wire and chewing gum as it is...and they are apparently hanging the moon on it in terms of story importance.  Bad call, methinks.  

Plus, the other part is that she's terrible at this deception.  Super "let me just shine a spotlight on the 'I'm not telling you everything' of it all."  because when Maddie asks, she practically says, "But wait, there's more to it.  Be curious, be suspicious.  I am a really bad poker player, by the way."  

It's just sort of lacking in human sense.  Usually nighttime soaps and soaps in general, take a believable human behavior and play it for the back rows in outer space.  Just magnify it to hell and gone.  This storyline isn't like that. It's just not believable on every known level.  

As for Juliette's plot, almost as soon as she started repeatedly berating her mother for Dante's presence in her life (which is revisionist history, no one forced Juliette to get involved with him)...she might as well have been carving a tombstone.  So that became "well, I can see where this is going."  

Edited by stillshimpy, May 21, 2013 @ 11:00 AM.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 5:50 PM

The writers seem to be rather un-subtly making Gunnar and Scarlett into Deacon and Rayna 2.0.

I don't think Deacon and Rayna pull it off, either.  I find Rayna so cold and superior I don't like her chemistry with anyone, though. 

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 21, 2013 @ 6:20 PM.
fixed tags/formatting