11-11 & 11-12: "Ten Chefs Compete/Nine Chefs Compete" 2013.05.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

28 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

From Zap2it:

The chefs compete to participate in a photo shoot and host a dinner for members of the Army; one team falters during another dinner service.

This thread will open at 10:00pm EDT on Monday, May 13th. Please note the move to Monday.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

To Be Continued...yet again! How many times have the episodes been ended in a cliffhanger?

Also, why was Chef Ramsey mad that the ladies decided who would go over to the blue team by pulling a name out of a pot? I get that he wanted them to come to a decision, and technically they did. Just not in the way he wanted, but I don't think there was a reason for him to become so worked up about it. Would he rather they argue about who gets to go to the blue team and not come to a decision? For me pulling the name out of the pot seemed a rather drama free and easy way to go about it. 

I'm so ready for Zack to leave. I'm honestly surprised he has lasted so long. Only because he's proven time and time again that he lacks integrity. I thought that was a big no-no to Chef Ramsey, and was likely to get you tossed out of Hell's Kitchen.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

Agree- Zack is unbearably annoying and he didn't exactly have a great service so his ego is just not even justified. This must be a record season for TBC. I guess Chef Ramsay was annoyed that they came to a consensus based on random picking rather than who would actually bring something to the Blue Team's table. Why couldn't Ja'nel just shut up and say Cyndi volunteered to go over? And why do they reveal when there's a tiebreaker? Just pick someone! They should realize by now that he looks at you like you are a bunch of incompetent morons if you say you couldn't come to a consensus on something so simple. I'm looking forward to the next episode where it looks like Nedra tells Ramsay off.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

I think Gordon was right to be mad at the teams when he specifically ASKED them to arrive at a consensus.  At least in theory, he should be thinking about the contestants as his possible future employees for a position that's not only culinary, but inherently managerial as well.  If one of these guys is running Gordon's restaurant, and their #2 chef quits, I don't think he'd be happy if the head chef just put the names of 3 junior chefs, the bartender, and a busboy in a hat.  I think he wanted to test their decision-making ability, and both teams punted, avoiding the tough decision.

Zack pretty much *has* to still be there solely because the producers want him there for "conflict" or reality-show-vermin backstabbing antics or whatever.  There's no way Gordon would ever give this guy a job.  I've noticed on Gordon's other shows that he'll tolerate a lot of mistakes (if there's at least some hope of improvement), but the one thing that drives him absolutely nuts is a chef outright lying to him, which Zack did on one earlier show, and didn't even get called out on.

Michael's the one who's always surprised me.  I think he has the most professional demeanor of any contestant, and at least sounds like he knows what he's doing in the kitchen, but he seems to keep failing at execution, repeatedly.

Edited by dconner, May 13, 2013 @ 10:45 PM.

enoki

enoki

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

I must have missed it.  Who is "Grant Banks", who Zak is channeling?

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 1:06 AM

Why couldn't Ja'nel just shut up and say Cyndi volunteered to go over? And why do they reveal when there's a tiebreaker? Just pick someone! They should realize by now that he looks at you like you are a bunch of incompetent morons if you say you couldn't come to a consensus on something so simple.

Because Ramsey would have known it was a lie, the only reason Ramsay got pissed is because the women didn't have any yelling or drama in their decision and the producers think that it's necessary for the show so they had him through a fit.

Poor Steve Sanders!

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 1:19 AM

How could Zack think that he's ever going to get hired when he's laughing about sabotaging another chef? Only one person is going to win this (and I don't even know how long that person really lasts) but the rest of them could use this show as a stepping stone. 

In a real kitchen, do chefs really touch the food as much as Ramsay does? I was shuddering at the sight. 

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 1:58 AM

So that 2 hour episode was about 1 1/2 hours too long. This show has become completely predictable & boring. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

The girl who wants to go to the blue team seriously needs to lose some weight. I am no skinny minny, but that is just downright unhealthy in someone who is a chef ...... handling my food.

I'm ready for Zach to leave. Now. He is obnoxious as hell, and he can take Nedra with him. She is batty. And loud. Why do the two of them shout all the time when doing their interviews? Reminds me of that girl last season who couldn't talk unless she was screaming. They have both proven to be malicious and will sink their other team members at any cost. NO way either of them would get hired to work in a high-end restaurant.

Dan's lobster really did look like something from a sci-fi movie. I immediately thought of the thing in Alien after they got it off the guy's face.

I like Mary more each week. She is a team player, always helpful without being obnoxious and her food looked good this week. Congrats to her getting a page in People magazine.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

I would've liked to see more of Gordon evaluating the individual chefs' personal creations.  Assuming his reactions were honest ones (and not exaggerated for television purposes), it suggested some interesting things about the chefs' abilities.  It seems like, for all that they've been screwing up, the blue team might have more "creative" cooking talent, while the red team is better at execution, but apparently less "inspired."

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Let's not forget that anyone who has an "alter ego" will not/should not be taken seriously enough to be hired in a high-end restaurant. Unless you're Beyonce, leave your "alter ego" out of it.

Edited by BogoGog24, May 14, 2013 @ 10:13 AM.

preeya

preeya

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

I must have missed it.  Who is "Grant Banks", who Zak is channeling?

Grant Banks is Zak's alter-ego.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

I just remembered, what about the whole secret service thing? Wasn't there something about that in the previews last week?

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

Mystery - In real life chefs do touch the food quite a bit, especially to test for degree of doneness in beef, chicken, etc, but nowhere even close to the amount that GR does. I thought about it a bit, and realized that he probably HAS to touch all of the food because of the inconsistencies. 

I don't understand how a chef can produce 9 perfect med-rare steaks but then screw up the 10th. It's almost like they do a big bong hit halfway through service and when it kicks in they just lose their minds. 

How is Zach stil here ?!? He admitted, on camera, no less, to lying and sabotage, and though he is dramatic, he's not "fun" dramatic like Nedra. Neither of them seem likely to win, and their on-screen presence is just grating to me. 

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

How many of her body parts has Nedra called hoohas at this point? 

Zach has to know that he's not going to get the job no matter how well he cooks after all the times he's talked back to Ramsay in his talking heads. I'm kind of feeling Ja'Nel now.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

Another To Be Continued.

At this rate, the final episode will be the final two chefs at the doors about to be revealed... and TBC will show and the credits will roll, and the winner won't be announced until the next season of Hell's Kitchen starts.

I know I'm giving Fox ideas at this point, but frankly at this point I'm expecting this to happen now. 

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 4:44 AM

I was reading somewhere that (for some reason unexplained where I read it) Gordon doesn't believe in using thermometers to tell when something's done.  I imagine you have to use touch a fair amount if that's the case.

NitroFishBlue

NitroFishBlue

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

At this point it appears that Ja'Nel hasn't been screamed at by Gordon. She is the only one that is consistent. Since I said that she will probably be the one picked on next week. There isn't one person on the blue team that I think is qualified to led anything. Hope the final two will be Mary and Ja'Nel.

marie caroline

marie caroline

Couch Potato

• Interests:Brit soaps, reality shows,miniseries, reading biographies, mysteries and classic fiction, walking and people watching, particularly in NYC.

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

I would love a finale of Mary and Ja'Nel.   I watched the latest on Hulu - so is a chef coming back?   Or is this another false advertisement.  I assume chefs will come back for the finale to help the two finalists.

This is my least favorite season, but I think mainly because it is getting tired.  Same old, same old.  They need a facelift!

CrashTextDummie

CrashTextDummie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

I actually thought these two episodes where fairly novel by Hell's Kitchen standards:

- Last weeks TBC actually payed off with a second elimination! If Ramsay has sent home 2 chefs after the same service before, I don't remember it.

- The military dinner was a nice and conceptually interesting change of pace. Having each team member in charge of a whole course gave everyone a chance to really shine or falter (except for whoever had desserts...).

- The second episode didn't have a challenge (and by extension no reward/punishment) at all

- I don't think the dominating team has ever been given a choice in who they send over to the losers.

Of course this season is still same old, same old, but not to the degree of the last several couple.

I really enjoy Mary this season, she's developed into possibly her team's best asset, and I didn't see this coming at all based on the first couple of episodes. She also has a pleasant personality. I'm rooting for her.

Zack dodged a bullet both times. I wasn't surprised at all to see Ray go, but his elimination showed how little the contestants pleading their case on the chopping block really means to Ramsay, because Ray was absolutely spot on with his.

Edited by CrashTextDummie, May 15, 2013 @ 4:30 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

How many hoo-hahs does Nedra have?

That is all.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:53 AM

So, let's get this straight. Zack sabotages a teammate, on a dinner service for soldiers no less, and he gets a fucking pass? I'm not sure who is the bigger joke at this point, Ramsey or these chefs. 

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

I liked the military dinner service with each chef being in charge of a course - it gives Ramsey an early view on who can lead and who cannot.  And Ray can't lead, no question about it.  However Zach was delusional rating himself a 7 for his service and I wouldn't put it past him to purposely screw up to try and sink Ray.  That Zach survived two absoutely terrible services is a travesty, he's not entertaining with his alter ego (maybe he needs a puppet) and his cooking has gone downhill.

Dragon Suplex

Dragon Suplex

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

This show has such contempt for it's viewers, I just cant justify watching it again after this season. So the red team's courses aside from Nedra's were not serveable, and they had only 30 minutes. So what did they do to fix this? I sure as fuck don't know because all they showed was a couple of shots of people cooking followed by a variation of Ramsey's "Service Please!" It also happened when Susan and Zach were neck and neck with their courses at dinner service(?).  I have no idea how their food got out but they managed to do it. SERVICE, PLEASE

AnnaJul

AnnaJul

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

So much to say....

The alter ego thing, just no.  If you're not happy with yourself, fix yourself.  Don't make up another person.  How old are you?

Zach is just off the deep end.  He went Dan immediately after being put up two weeks ago, with the "I'm on team Zach now" stuff.  Then his alter ego.  Then claiming he made up the whole menu.  Sabotaging the lobster.  That makes Ray look worse than you how?  Ramsay knew who put up the cold food.  Yeah, it got past Ray, but you're not getting away with anything.  It's all so bizarre and he needs to go.

I KNOW Ramsay isn't keeping either Zach or Nedra forever, but he is keeping them for now, for entertainment purposes.  I personally am insulted by how much they show Nedra's talking heads vs. everyone else.  Her sassy personality is a stereotype and played up for the cameras, I'm sure.  So the producers think we want to see loud mouths who aren't afraid to yell "bitch!" over actual interviews about the food and the process?

And I don't understand how one portion of pasta was undercooked, when it looked like both kitchens cooked them in the same pot and plated them from the same bowl?

It DID look very elegant with the army of servers presenting everyone's plates at the same time.  Is there a name for that, does anyone know?

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 6:13 AM

I never thought Ray would win but having him go home as a result of Zach and the show's fuckery is insulting.  This show is so predictable.  It's true that as soon as Dan was gone all of a sudden Zach turns into a wacko, and then he doesn't even go home for it.  Not buying it.  It had all the signs of being manufactured.

What I would love to see is for Ramsay to put Nedra on the blue teem.  At least that would be good for a laugh.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 7:58 AM

What I would love to see is for Ramsay to put Nedra on the blue teem.  At least that would be good for a laugh.

That would be funny.  I wish her name had come out of the hat, because it would really point out the ridiculousness of using random selection.  Do they all seriously think they're interchangeable?  If so, maybe Gordon should just use the hat to decide who to throw out and who he's going to hire!

I was just thinking that this show could use some "web extras."  Obviously the edit we get on TV isn't really a "cooking show," but pushing the competition and personality aspects.  Which, y'know, I can't totally blame them for, though the producers could do it in a way that insults the audience's intelligence a little less.

But it might be interesting to see some supplemental material on the web or something, going into a little more depth on the actual cooking aspects brought up by particular episodes.  Like, for this show, 5 minutes of Gordon (or maybe his two "lieutenant" chefs) talking about what he looks for in "presentation", and the relationship between presentation and the "core" aspects of preparing a dish.

davidmf

davidmf

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 1:57 AM

Elimination Interview with Barret and Ray

http://cartermatt.co...enges-mistakes/

Worth the time to read - Barret does give the usual "its harder than it looks on TV" comment - and Ray talks about him and Ramsay being not far apart age wise 

ShadowSixx

ShadowSixx

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

I really hope Jon wins, I like him, he's been consistent and giving his team points during the challenges. He seems to do well at every station he's been on. I like Ja'Nel too I really would like a Jon vs Ja'Nel finale. 

I can't stand Zach or Nedra they are so annoying, I liked Nedra in the beginning but she just suddenly turned annoying and Zach was cool too in the beginning but then he started all his smack talk. Don't forget Susan she annoys me to no end too, talking about how she's not going home for this and that, then what the hell is she going home for? When Ramsay no longer wants to look at her.