9-23: "Readiness is All" 2013.05.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

251 replies to this topic

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

Can someone help me? I missed an epi or ten, but was it 100% proven that Jo is in fact from this horrible background like Alex? Just wondering. And also, idk if I'm the only one, but I thought I saw her push Alex when he came back and started asking questions about Peckwell. I totally flinched and thought she was going to go all Rambo in him, too. Oops.

Wow, didn't think Az was going to do it. Surprised. All I need is for Callie to walk in and catch her, and then cope with it by talking to Marks ghost. Not.

Can MerDer's kid just be okay. No more baby drama for them, ever, would be a-okay in my book.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Owen is truly a filthy and grotesque character. But, now we see how he is: no matter how precious and how much he claims to love someone, once that person no longer gives him what he wants, he responds with vicious cruelty. That man has been in a coma and is delicate condition (despite what Grey's shows, people do not wake up and start interacting from that level of unconsciousness 6 hours post-op). Owen sees the kid's real dad is awake, that the kid is happy to see him, and he wants to ship him off away from the shiny and new hospital when he is still probably pissing into a bag. There's no reason to move him. Owen had no intention of moving him before. Just because he's awake doesn't mean he's stable. Great, Owen. Maybe he's trying to take the dad out and finish the job. Owen should die in a fire set by Cristina.

Oh, Arizona. She goes from a "Good Man in a Storm" to a "Cheating Bitch in a Storm." Shonda has completed her assassination of Arizona's character. First it started with the ret-con of Season 7 and now this. It reminds me of someone slowly assassinating someone with radiation poisoning until they are just beyond hope and terminal. Callie has been done dirty by both of her spouses. Arizona is a married woman with a child! Callie has essentially been a single parent for almost a year, she's nursed her back to health (as much as Arizona helped her), and Arizona pays back her patience and love with some fucking floozie. Arizona can bounce along with her buddy Owen and they can both go to where ever it is to tout their fake military honor they never had. 

What really makes me angry is that the scene with Arizona's jump-off was sexier and hotter than ANYTHING she's had with Callie. Maybe that's the point? However, I don't know that celebrated sex bomb Callie would be anything less than amazing (in her word's and sexpert Mark's). Arizona and Callie have been chaste even when they are being intimate. Arizona burns up the sheets with this broad but not Callie? Maybe Shonda is commenting on Lesbian Bed Death. 

Of course Meredith can't have an uneventful pregnancy. Ugh.

I knew I shouldn't have come back to this show for the last two episodes. 

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

I thought it was predictable and kind of boring.  So much so that I found the flash mob silly but didn't outright hate it because at least it was something unexpected.  I agree that Matthew being toast was the first thing I thought of too, he'll probably die next week.  It did show that Owen is a lousy COS.  He not only approved the flash mob to take place (where ambulances enter the level 1 trauma center!) but also while the hospital is supposed to be preparing for this massive storm.  Maybe I just liked that everyone standing around actually looked kind of happy.  When was the last time almost all of them looked happy at the same time for even 5 seconds?

I feel so bad for Callie.  For a minute I thought that Jackson saying how good he felt being in the OR with Lauren would have Arizona realizing that feeling good around Lauren didn't have to be sexual.  Of course once the on call room was mentioned the cheating was a given.

I am glad Ethan and the father are gone, never cared about the whole storyline.

So Meredith was all willing to stay in an OR that might explode while being 3 weeks away from delivering her son?   Then later she says she wants to stay at the hospital in case surgeons are needed.  What about Zola, staying with her daughter during what is described as this massive superstorm?  I guess she truly is Ellis' daughter.  Surgeries trump babies.

Poor Zola will be raising the new baby soon.

LOL!  I'd rather watch her do it.  I love Zola, she's adorable.

I love Justin Chambers and Alex and I'm always glad when he gets any kind of story.  I wish they would have explained exactly what happened between Jo and Peckwell.  She looked like she had been hit and not just someone grabbed her arm.  She told Alex she shoved Peckwell, he fell and hit his head and was fine when she left.  She may be batshit crazy in the end but I thought it was a lot of he said/she said regarding the actual events.   Alex telling Peckwell how his friends own the hospital is blackmail because he was threatening his job but Peckwell has to believe that the owners of the hospital would actually go through with it.  Peckwell not even attempting to speak to anyone other than Alex left some doubt that he was telling the whole truth either.

I'm very pleased that Derek is there with Meredith.  For a few seconds there I thought Cristina was going to be stuck being there for the delivery.

Edited by WindSprints, May 9, 2013 @ 10:57 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

I hope beyond all measure that Callie catches Arizona cheating, and boots her to the curb while taking Sofia away from her forever,

I hope not.  Callie is impulsive and I'm sure she'll do something stupid....but using Sofia is a big no-no. Right now I'm riding the fence even though I guess I should be on "team Callie" by default, but if Callie were to try to take Sofia away, I would lose my shit.  Arizona is her mother too, and being a loosy wife doesn't negate that.

What really makes me angry is that the scene with Arizona's jump-off was sexier and hotter than ANYTHING she's had with Callie.

Hmmm.  I noticed that too.  Thought the visuals were nicely done.  Maybe that's why I wasn't as upset about what I watched as I feel I should be.  I've been so desperate for hot lesbo action, I guess 'llI take it in whatever form it comes. 

ETA:  meant to say "lousy", but loosy seems to work in this instance too.  Heh.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, May 9, 2013 @ 11:02 PM.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

My DVR cut off at the very end-did the storm actually do anything? What happened? Alex is my favorite character and I hate this story arc. Somehow, he will blamed for this or will do something even more stupid to protect Jo. I kind of get why he was trying to protect her: He is pretty much from the streets and street people try to not call the police and protect each other. I just don't feel we can trust Jo; I think she has some serious mental issues which Alex doesn't need. 

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Can someone help me? I missed an epi or ten, but was it 100% proven that Jo is in fact from this horrible background like Alex? Just wondering. And also, idk if I'm the only one, but I thought I saw her push Alex when he came back and started asking questions about Peckwell. I totally flinched and thought she was going to go all Rambo in him, too. Oops.

A while ago it was confirmed that she had a rough past similar to Alex, they were talking in a bar.

I love Justin Chambers and Alex and I'm always glad when he gets any kind of story.  I wish they would have explained exactly what happened between Jo and Peckwell.  She looked like she had been hit and not just someone grabbed her arm.  She told Alex she shoved Peckwell, he fell and hit his head and was fine when she left.  She may be batshit crazy in the end but I thought it was a lot of he said/she said regarding the actual events.   Alex telling Peckwell how his friends own the hospital is blackmail because he was threatening his job but Peckwell has to believe that the owners of the hospital would actually go through with it.  Peckwell not even attempting to speak to anyone other than Alex left some doubt that he was telling the whole truth either.

It's a nuisance storyline.

It did show that Owen is a lousy COS.  He not only approved the flash mob to take place (where ambulances enter the level 1 trauma center!) but also while the hospital is supposed to be preparing for this massive storm.

Well, he did waste time playing soccer with him, he's already proven time and again he sucks at chief.

I thought it was predictable and kind of boring.  So much so that I found the flash mob silly but didn't outright hate it because at least it was something unexpected.  I agree that Matthew being toast was the first thing I thought of too, he'll probably die next week.  Maybe I just liked that everyone standing around actually looked kind of happy.  When was the last time almost all of them looked happy at the same time for even 5 seconds?

Maybe they did that because of the coming disaster next week.

Owen is truly a filthy and grotesque character. But, now we see how he is: no matter how precious and how much he claims to love someone, once that person no longer gives him what he wants, he responds with vicious cruelty. That man has been in a coma and is delicate condition (despite what Grey's shows, people do not wake up and start interacting from that level of unconsciousness 6 hours post-op). Owen sees the kid's real dad is awake, that the kid is happy to see him, and he wants to ship him off away from the shiny and new hospital when he is still probably pissing into a bag. There's no reason to move him. Owen had no intention of moving him before. Just because he's awake doesn't mean he's stable. Great, Owen. Maybe he's trying to take the dad out and finish the job. Owen should die in a fire set by Cristina.

He's getting worse and worse the more time we see him.  He's so unbearable.

Oh, Arizona. She goes from a "Good Man in a Storm" to a "Cheating Bitch in a Storm." Shonda has completed her assassination of Arizona's character. First it started with the ret-con of Season 7 and now this. It reminds me of someone slowly assassinating someone with radiation poisoning until they are just beyond hope and terminal. Callie has been done dirty by both of her spouses. Arizona is a married woman with a child! Callie has essentially been a single parent for almost a year, she's nursed her back to health (as much as Arizona helped her), and Arizona pays back her patience and love with some fucking floozie. Arizona can bounce along with her buddy Owen and they can both go to where ever it is to tout their fake military honor they never had. 

What really makes me angry is that the scene with Arizona's jump-off was sexier and hotter than ANYTHING she's had with Callie. Maybe that's the point? However, I don't know that celebrated sex bomb Callie would be anything less than amazing (in her word's and sexpert Mark's). Arizona and Callie have been chaste even when they are being intimate. Arizona burns up the sheets with this broad but not Callie? Maybe Shonda is commenting on Lesbian Bed Death.

Jessica didn't even know wtf was going on until she got the script.  There was no set up at all, it was non stop flirting from the very start.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

I hope not.  Callie is impulsive and I'm sure she'll do something stupid....but using Sofia is a big no-no. Right now I'm riding the fence even though I guess I should be on "team Callie" by default, but if Callie were to try to take Sofia away, I would lose my shit.  Arizona is her mother too, and being a loosy wife doesn't negate that.

I kind of see your point and other hand I kind of don't.  As soon as she made the decision to cheat on her spouse she kind of lost a lot of her rights imo.  It just seems wildly out of character from what I have seen for her to make this kind of decision.  PTSD does not mean you are brain dead or dumb enough to know that sleeping with someone other than your spouse is wrong.  It's even more wrong when children are involved.  Did she even think about Sofia especially during a storm like this?  She's obviously in the hospital along with her wife.  I hope she does get caught for being dumb enough to cheat on her wife when at their place of work while she's there.  Where all your friends work.

Billsby

Billsby

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

Alex telling Peckwell how his friends own the hospital is blackmail because he was threatening his job but Peckwell has to believe that the owners of the hospital would actually go through with it.  Peckwell not even attempting to speak to anyone other than Alex left some doubt that he was telling the whole truth either.

They really should have been much more clear. Right now it just seems like Myers grabbed her arm,Jo freaked out thinking that he was about to attack her,then set about beating him very badly. The reason I don't think Myers would say anything is because A.) Those are Karev's friends and he is very correct in assuming that they would take Karev's side and B) Like Alex said he hit Jo hard enough to leave a physical mark and whether it was in self defense or not they could,and will,easily paint him as an abuser. As of right now the only victim I see in all this is Myers and so they have to do something else to make him the bad guy,because no amount of vulnerable Alex and sad backstory will make it okay for Jo not to be in jail.

Edited by Billsby, May 9, 2013 @ 11:09 PM.

Rae Spellman

Rae Spellman

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:10 PM

Peckwell not even attempting to speak to anyone other than Alex left some doubt that he was telling the whole truth either.

Meyers was in a hospital bed. Who knows what he did after Alex left. The fact that a black man asked for the police after he was involved in an altercation with a small, attractive, educated white woman leads me to believe that he was probably telling the truth. And, for a moment it didn't occur to him that his employer might protect the small, attractive white lady who almost killed him.

Before I didn't really care about Alex and Jo. Now, I'm actively rooting against them and hoping Jo will disappear forever and ever.

After Matthew's proposal, I'm hoping he marries April and remains mostly off-screen. It would be nice for someone to have a simple, happy off-camera romantic relationship.

Edited by Rae Spellman, May 9, 2013 @ 11:17 PM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

Meyers was in a hospital bed. Who knows what he did after Alex left. The fact that a black man asked for the police after he was involved in an altercation with a small, attractive, educated white woman leads me to believe that he was probably telling the truth. And, for a moment it didn't occur to him that his employer might protect the small, attractive white lady who almost killed him and fake cries at the drop of a hat.

Before I didn't really care about Alex and Jo. Now, I'm actively rooting against them.

They really should have been much more clear. Right now it just seems like Myers grabbed her arm,Jo freaked out thinking that he was about to attack her,then set about beating him very badly. The reason I don't think Myers would say anything is because A.) Those are Karev's friends and he is very correct in assuming that they would take Karev's side and B) Like Alex said he hit Jo hard enough to leave a physical mark and whether it was in self defense or not they could,and will,easily paint him as an abuser. As of right now the only victim I see in all this is Myers and so they have to do something else to make him the bad guy,because no amount of vulnerable Alex and sad backstory will make it okay for Jo not to be in jail.

It's sickening how they turned this contrived relationship into a toxic one full of abuse and threats.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

They really should have been much more clear. Right now it just seems like Myers grabbed her arm,Jo freaked out thinking that he was about to attack her,then set about beating him very badly.

This is why you should never put your hands on ANYBODY unless you are pulling him or her out of danger. You never know where that person has been in life or what has happened to him/her. Jo may not have been right to beat him down or shove him down a flight of steps, but if he put his hands on her first, even in what might seem an innocuous grab to some of us, can trigger someone I think is a rape victim, into a feral animal. Peckwell may not have meant her ill-will, but when you come close to violating someone's physical integrity, you can catch a fade. And, he's much bigger than her. Why the hell would he have grabbed her anyway? When a conversation escalates to a fight that way, you leave. Alex was in the wrong and this sends a pretty shitty message about partner-on-partner violence.

Jo needs help and by "help," I'm not using Grey's Speak for a white knight and boyfriend. She will get a patient who's drunk, high, or crazy who will put his or her hands on her. She can't just go beating down everyone. Based on her experience, it seems reasonable, or at least understandable, that she is skittish about having someone touch her that way. But, she's also unstable in many ways. Alex has made it okay for her not to address those problems, just like Cristina made it okay for Owen not to get help for his PTSD after he nearly killed her. "You're all I need to get through my ages old mental trauma" is a theme of this show and it is not a good one. I was never down with this couple and now that they've made the worst possible setting for Alex to "white knight" her, I hate it almost as much as I hate April.

Speaking of April, are flash mobs even a thing anymore. Owen has turned the hospital into a playground, a stage (I also hope no one needed help), clogged the ambulance bay with a bunch of strangers and all of the staff abandoned their posts. The only time he could be bothered with making decisions was when he wanted to take vengeance on a recently comatose man for reuniting with his son (his meaning the father's not Owen's creepy object of obsession). Maybe Owen can go to April's farm and adopt a pig. 

Crystelle

Crystelle

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:27 PM

Jo didn't say that he hit her first, what she said was that he grabbed her arm and then she just went off on him. I don't advocate hitting women but if you beat a man so much that his brain bleeds then I'm going to give him a pass on getting one hit in after you started hitting him.

She didn't beat him until he got a brain bleed. The brain bleed was a result of Jason falling and hitting his head on the fireplace. Jo said he was still yelling and apparently fine when she left. It's obvious by Jo's injuries that Jason got more than one hit in and even if it was only one hit he doesn't deserve a pass because it's not a fair fight anyway (he's much bigger and stronger than Jo). That's why Alex said if Jason pressed charges he would always be seen as the guy who beats women.

Didn't expect Arizona to go all in like that with Lauren. When the flash mob scene started I actually thought someone (April) was dreaming it because there was drama all around and then music comes up and people started dancing. It was a bit jarring. I'm now expecting Matthew to die in the next episode and Jackson will console April much like a rehash of Denny/Izzie/Alex (season 2).

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

Speaking of April, are flash mobs even a thing anymore. Owen has turned the hospital into a playground, a stage (I also hope no one needed help), clogged the ambulance bay with a bunch of strangers and all of the staff abandoned their posts. The only time he could be bothered with making decisions was when he wanted to take vengeance on a recently comatose man for reuniting with his son (his meaning the father's not Owen's creepy object of obsession). Maybe Owen can go to April's farm and adopt a pig.

He just sucks at everything, he may as well go to the farm.

Jo needs help and by "help," I'm not using Grey's Speak for a white knight and boyfriend. She will get a patient who's drunk, high, or crazy who will put his or her hands on her. She can't just go beating down everyone. Based on her experience, it seems reasonable, or at least understandable, that she is skittish about having someone touch her that way. But, she's also unstable in many ways. Alex has made it okay for her not to address those problems, just like Cristina made it okay for Owen not to get help for his PTSD after he nearly killed her. "You're all I need to get through my ages old mental trauma" is a theme of this show and it is not a good one. I was never down with this couple and now that they've made the worst possible setting for Alex to "white knight" her, I hate it almost as much as I hate April.

The last thing these people need is any white knighting.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

I'll comment on the random moments to save myself from reliving those Arizona/Lauren scenes.

1. I knew immediately that it was a flash mob/ proposal scene... Well i did say "WTF" but i just knew. It wasn't suppose to be funny but i laughed at the ridiculousness. In the end i didn't mind it.

2. Died with laughter when Callie ran for the hills at the first sign of sparks! That was funny!

3. Bailey is back?

4. Mousey is all kind's of awesome. Pacman? Please stay for S10.

5. Something doesn't add up with Peckwell and Jo. Something needs to come from it. IDK what but repercussions need to be had.

6. Christina just can't get a break can she? I was blind to it before but i don't like how Owen treats Christina. He needs to be more in control of his emotions. He flips out on Christina like its nothing and i hate that Christina just takes it. Blames herself even. Come on Christina, stand up for yourself.

7. Arizona Arizona Arizona, why? Just why? -__-  How will Callie recover from this? It was bad enough when George cheated and not so bad because their love wasn't mutual. I was glad it ended, it wasn't meant to be and Callie deserved better. Arizona was her better. Their love was real. I just can't see a plus side to this. Even if she forgives Az, will she ever forget? Ugh.

Lastly, i got chills when Meredith fell down the stairs. Tears even. Not because i thought anything was going to be wrong with the baby but because of how real the acting felt in the moments right after. Ellen knocked it out of the park! Totally on point with the delivery of emotions. The realization the devastation. You knew she was crying not because she was in pain or hurt but because of her concern for her baby.

Still can't get over Arizona. Next week is going to be hard to watch. Hate that i am so attached to her and Callie. Moreso Callie. A show like Grey's i've learnt it's best to just detach but sometimes you can't help it.

Oh and whats'sup with the look Arizona gave Hilarie when Matt said "i knew from the first time i laid eyes on you..." *rolls my eyes* GMAFB!

Edited by Clairelle876, May 9, 2013 @ 11:40 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

I kind of see your point and other hand I kind of don't.  As soon as she made the decision to cheat on her spouse she kind of lost a lot of her rights imo.  It just seems wildly out of character from what I have seen for her to make this kind of decision.  PTSD does not mean you are brain dead or dumb enough to know that sleeping with someone other than your spouse is wrong.  It's even more wrong when children are involved.  Did she even think about Sofia especially during a storm like this?  She's obviously in the hospital along with her wife.  I hope she does get caught for being dumb enough to cheat on her wife when at their place of work while she's there.  Where all your friends work.

I'm not disputing any of that. It is totally out of character, but I'm used to dealing with OOC behavior from both Arizona and Callie since season 7. I hope/expect Arizona to get caught as well. And I also expect there to be consequences in some form or fashion, but having Callie take Sofia away is not it. Using a child as punishment only hurts the child. I feel like the fact that this is even being discussed means that Arizona's position as Sofia's mother legally/emotionally/morally isn't respected the way it would be if we were discussing some other couple. If Arizona is supposed to be on equal footing when it comes to being Sofia's mother, then what right does Callie have to take her away? Unless we're talking about abuse or neglect, then Sofia is off limits.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

6. Christina just can't get a break can she? I was blind to it before but i don't like how Owen treats Christina. He needs to be more in control of his emotions. He flips out on Christina like its nothing and i hate that Christina just takes it. Blames herself even. Come on Christina, stand up for yourself.

She shouldn't have to put up with him.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

She didn't beat him until he got a brain bleed. The brain bleed was a result of Jason falling and hitting his head on the fireplace. Jo said he was still yelling and apparently fine when she left. It's obvious by Jo's injuries that Jason got more than one hit in and even if it was only one hit he doesn't deserve a pass because it's not a fair fight anyway (he's much bigger and stronger than Jo). That's why Alex said if Jason pressed charges he would always be seen as the guy who beats women.

100% agree.  Jo felt physically threatened and defended herself and he appeared fine when she left.  

The fact that a black man asked for the police after he was involved in an altercation with a small, attractive, educated white woman leads me to believe that he was probably telling the truth.

He's just as, if not more, educated than Jo.  He is also more professionally accomplished as he's an attending physician.  He's in the position of power, being both physically stronger than her and also her superior at work.  His asking for the police could have easily been to cover that he hit her so I won't make the assumption that race had anything to do with it.   Its not uncommon for the victim to be blamed as a way of trying to appear innocent.

Edited by zenyatta, May 9, 2013 @ 11:43 PM.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:45 PM

Wait, the Grey Sloan Seven: Derek, Meredith, Cristina, Arizona, Callie, Jackson, and.... Richard?  Since he kicked some cash in (and he mentioned it in passing tonight)? 

Crystelle

Crystelle

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

she almost killed somebody and she lied about it on top of everything else, constantly changing her story.

I didn't detect a lie or Jo changing her story. The first scene with Alex she told him why she and Jason were arguing (Jason didn't trust her) and said things got so bad. In the scene with Alex/Mer/Cristina she just went into more detail about what happened (they were fighting, he grabbed her arm, she fought him off, he fell and hit his head on the fireplace, he seemed fine and she left). In the last scene she told Alex this wasn't the first time someone "grabbed" her the way Jason had and she promised herself no one would do that to her again. I don't see any inconsistencies in what Jo said.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

Jo didn't say that he hit her first, what she said was that he grabbed her arm and then she just went off on him. I don't advocate hitting women but if you beat a man so much that his brain bleeds then I'm going to give him a pass on getting one hit in after you started hitting him.

That's a pretty grey area(no pun intended) it possible he grabbed  her in a way that was threatening and really did hurt her and that he really did mean it as a threat. Even if he didn't he clearly hit her pretty hard and was more than just defending himself. Personally I don't think Alex did anything wrong all he really did was remind of the truth. Jo is a hundred pound girl the cops probably would have laughed in Peckwells face.  The board probably would have had to take action because they are both hospital employee's. They could actually be have to fire him because he a liability issue. Abuser is a label that sticks particularly given his speciallty. Alex may have actually done the guy a favor.

Somerset

Somerset

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

I think my favorite part of the whole episode was the scene when Meredith told Jo that she loves Alex.  Really, all those scenes where the fab 3 were acting incredibly close were wonderful.

Also, Cristina freaking out when Derek bailed on the surgery was awesome.  I was pretty much reacting the same way.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:57 PM

I'm not disputing any of that. It is totally out of character, but I'm used to dealing with OOC behavior from both Arizona and Callie since season 7. I hope/expect Arizona to get caught as well. And I also expect there to be consequences in some form or fashion, but having Callie take Sofia away is not it. Using a child as punishment only hurts the child. I feel like the fact that this is even being discussed means that Arizona's position as Sofia's mother legally/emotionally/morally isn't respected the way it would be if we were discussing some other couple. If Arizona is supposed to be on equal footing when it comes to being Sofia's mother, then what right does Callie have to take her away? Unless we're talking about abuse or neglect, then Sofia is off limits. 

This was allegedly covered in Season 8 when the whole Zola/Case Worker/MerDer interfering thing came up. Alex set the wheels in motion, and back when they had good sense, Arizona and Owen told him to stay out of it because it would jeopardize the custody arrangement and that MerDer had no right, under the law, to make any medical decisions for her or be on her case. Alex said to Arizona in the OR, "You out of everyone should know how they feel? How would you feel if someone tried to take Sofia away from you? You don't have any rights to her." Arizona tells him to butt out, but she ran to that party begging Callie to make it official that Sofia is hers too. Seeing as it was never mentioned that neither Mark nor Callie gave up their parental rights and granted Arizona the right to take that place, there has been nothing shown that she has any legal rights to her. Had Shonda bothered to remove her head from her ass to read an old newspaper, she would have known that marriage equality passed in Washington and C&A could have gone to the Justice of the Peace and gotten a civil union (I don't think their first wedding even had that), or, when marriage equality was signed into law in February by the governor of Washington, long before this episode was shot. Maybe Shonda's trying to leverage this into Callie's way of getting back at Arizona.

I would like Callie to go from comic relief to scorched earth. I also wish Callie and Arizona had friends, like real friends in whom they could confide. They could have kept Teddy and Mark, but cut almost all the interns (TM needs to stay). They are isolated from an emotional level from the rest of the cast. Callie can turn to Bailey. Maybe Arizona can too, but if the Real Bailey shows up, Arizona better find her heelies, learn to use them again, and run away from Bailey. FAST. Callie can throw so much shit at Arizona regarding Sofia, even if it they are half-truths and totally unfair. I want to see dark Callie. I say unleash her fury and hit below the belt. Arizona is grimy and shouldn't be permitted to bring Sofia around her microwavable bitches. 

Happy Harpy

Happy Harpy

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

I think that Hilarie Burton is great. I hope she sticks around. I felt sorry for Callie (I remember it isn't the first time she's cheated on) but Lauren and Arizona had crazy chemistry imo.

Loved how Mer and Cristina were there for Alex. Best scenes, with the Derek and student ones.

Engagement express, next stop, Dead Paramedic Junction, I guess?

The flashmob was ridiculous.

Strangely, Brooks and her strange (/annoying) quirks should be over the top...yet they make her very real. She reminds me of a couple of people I knew back in college, who lacked self-confidence so much that it made them weird and unbearable in public, whereas they were very funny and interesting in private. I thought that Derek was great with her, and a very good teacher. I wasn't always crazy about Derek, but I love him right now.

About Jo. When someone only grabs your arm, I don't think that you get huge bruises around the eyes and the mouth. You get those when someone's fist punches you in the face. Jo was hit, that's a fact. So, I believe until said otherwise that her version is the truth: she got a PTSD episode ("lost it") while fighting back, after he grabbed her first. Jason's heavy wounds were an accident, due to a fall. Considering Jo's physical strength, she wouldn't be able to hurt him this way (Alex didn't even move when she pushed him).

I never complained about Alex threatening/yelling at abusive characters (or Doug Ross on ER punching abusive characters etc.) so I'm not going to start now. Considering his history, his POV makes sense, imo.  And I'd say he knows an abuser when he sees one (YMMV, of course).

Nevertheless, Jo does have some violent reactions; that's dangerous for her and others and as other have said, she should go to counseling (was that idea always in the works? She got physical with a patient in one of her first episodes).

So far, I didn't like the background the writers gave her, mostly because it was way too sugarcoated. I found it unrealistic that she was so "unscathed" after supposedly such a hard life. I don't find it surprising or extraordinary that she was beaten and/or sexually abused...girls who live in the street rarely avoid such ordeals. The opposite was Mary-Sueish, and the character I saw tonight was all but that. Moreover, I think that Camilla L. did a great job at portraying the darkness hidden behind the happy princess façade.

It's certainly not the first time that a serious issue is used on Grey's Anatomy for other purposes, so back to very superficial considerations:

-Jo wouldn't have let Alex take the fall for her

-Jo thinks that Alex is a good person, and admires him

-Jo cares about what Alex thinks about her

She can be a dark and twisty character, as long as it isn't directed against Alex, as long as she is loyal to him, as long as she's here for him the way he is for her. I like her, but I'm in only if the story is about her getting over her problems and following Alex's path, overcoming her past like he did his. I don't think that Alex is ever going to get a truly normal girlfriend (who does on this show?) as his reaction here showed I think he'll always be a anti-hero. I think that he could understand, and be understood, by someone like Jo. But the minute the relationship becomes toxic for him, I'm off the Alex/Jo train.

Edited by Happy Harpy, May 10, 2013 @ 12:03 AM.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

Callie's been so insufferable against Jackson for so long, didn't really mind Arizona cheating. I prefer the new baby doctor myself just like her and Jackson do. She's not a bitter bitch 24/7 like Callie is.

Does Meredith think to put her unborn child first at all?

April's flash mob was nice, hope she marries that guy.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

It's really unclear what happened to be honest.  All we have is Jo's word and the fact that both of them are bruised because of whatever happened.  I wish they had showed us the scene so that we could be certain for ourselves what happened.  I think that Jason and Jo were arguing and maybe she tried to walk away and he grabbed her arm to keep her there and she reacted badly.  She obviously went into overkill mode and hurt him more than she intended.  I said her story changed because first she acted like he just started beating her up out of nowhere to she was hitting him and he hit her back.

I can't see that Jason really did anything wrong because he was just defending himself.  He probably didn't mean to hurt her, he doesn't seem like the type despite what the show keeps trying to tell me.  I think Alex was wrong because he didn't need to threaten Jason to protect Jo.  He basically used the hospital and its owners to blackmail someone into hiding a truth.  I would have liked him and Jo a lot better if they had been honest about what happened and dealt with the consequences.  If she was really only defending herself there should be nothing to worry about.

If I'm being perfectly honest it's not even the fact that she isn't Sofia's mother or that she is part of a lesbian couple that makes me think this way.  I would think that way if it was Meredith and Derek or Cristina and Owen.  When you do something like that it changes things.  I'm not saying it's right and hopefully Callie wouldn't do that to Arizona but if she wanted time away from Arizona and she decided to keep Sofia with her I wouldn't hold it against her.  I don't think that Arizona's place in Sofia's life is less than Mark's or Callie's.  But I have seen it happen in real life lesbian couples involving children.  And like an earlier poster stated, does Arizona have legal rights to Sofia?  If her and Callie got a divorce could she file for custody?  It's hard to say.

Edited by blugirlami21, May 10, 2013 @ 12:11 AM.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

He probably didn't mean to hurt her, he doesn't seem like the type

There's a type for an abuser?

Does Meredith think to put her unborn child first at all?

She doesn't seem to.

Agree with your entire post Happy Harpy.

Rae Spellman

Rae Spellman

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:41 AM

He's just as, if not more, educated than Jo.  He is also more professionally accomplished as he's an attending physician.  He's in the position of power, being both physically stronger than her and also her superior at work.  His asking for the police could have easily been to cover that he hit her so I won't make the assumption that race had anything to do with it.   Its not uncommon for the victim to be blamed as a way of trying to appear innocent.

Dr. Meyers is a resident, not an attending.

As so many people have said this plot is absolutely ridiculous. Jo and Jason could have simply broken up over the fact that she lied to him. Next season Jo and Alex could become a think, or she could fail her intern exam off camera and disappear forever.

Jo is a hundred pound girl the cops probably would have laughed in Peckwells face.

Even if we assume that race is irrelevant, men tend not to make domestic violence reports. They are probably even less likely to make false domestic reports precisely because the cops would laugh in their faces. The fact that a bigger, stronger man wanted to call the police, Meredith's conversation with Jo, and the fact that Jason's story doesn't even contradict Jo's story leads me to believe that he wasn't lying. 

About Jo. When someone only grabs your arm, I don't think that you get huge bruises around the eyes and the mouth. You get those when someone's fist punches you in the face. Jo was hit, that's a fact. So, I believe until said otherwise that her version is the truth: she got a PTSD episode ("lost it") while fighting back, after he grabbed her first. Jason's heavy wounds were an accident, due to a fall. Considering Jo's physical strength, she wouldn't be able to hurt him this way (Alex didn't even move when she pushed him).

Both descriptions of what happened support the theory that Jo had a "pretty extreme PTSD episode" and went off on Peckwell. Jason didn't deny hitting Jo. He said he was defending himself. Alex didn't even deny that Jason was defending himself. Alex's argument was that you don't defend yourself against a woman.

Obviously it would have been better for Jason not to have grabbed her and not to have hit her after she did whatever she did to him. Jo still doesn't get a pass for accidentally hurting Peckwell. 

Obviously Peckwell was a jerk well before whatever happened that night. What happened between Jo and Jason was proof that Jo was right. She shouldn't have dated someone she worked with. Especially, if she had reason to keep parts of her life a secret. Therefore, she should never date Alex.

Also, I'm kinda over Callie and Arizona. Sure, the fact that Lauren so actively pursued a married woman is troubling. Nevertheless, I was happy that Arizona was happy and prefer Arizona and Lauren to Calzona.

Edited by Rae Spellman, May 10, 2013 @ 12:59 AM.

thelephant

thelephant

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

*sigh* This episode is an absolutely textbook example of the writers having a season of filler and saving up everything for the finale.  The only storylines that have had any gradual and consistent build up are Owen's desire for a child and Alex and Jo's relationship, and I wouldn't say that those have been handled well.  As for the rest, they could have been done so much better. 

We saw Arizona and Callie having difficulties at the start of the season, but they got back on track fairly early on.  I'm not sure what to make of this - did Arizona sleep with Lauren (?) because she reminded her of Mark?  Was it because she wants a fresh start, and her and Callie have had too much drama?  Was it to spite Callie for some unknown reason?  Was it simply because Lauren paid her attention and didn't care about her leg?  Some build up would have been nice!

I hate public proposals for the reason one poster stated above, but in this particular case, it's even worse because of the relationship itself.  I don't have a problem with people's religious beliefs necessarily, and a serious story about two intelligent professionals who just happened to be Christians could have been interesting, but in this context, getting engaged to someone that you have only been seeing for a little while, haven't been honest with, haven't been intimate with, haven't lived with, just because they sing and dance for you is utterly ridiculous, and I can't believe there were no dissenting voices.  To me, the flash mob just underlined the fact that both April andMatthewhave been written like they are 12 years old, and are in no way prepared for a real relationship and all that that entails.

I hope we can keep Brooks and Ross, because I think they have the most character out of all the interns, and a genuinely bitter rivalry would be an interesting departure for this show.  As far as I can recall, all the interns and attendings have had good-humoured rivalries and competition, with people trying to trick each other out of cool surgeries, but I don't think there's ever been malice before.  I think Jo is staying for the Alex storyline, but I don't think Leah and Stephanie really add anything at all.  We've seen the intern mooning over the attending so many times before!  We've also seen inappropriate bedside manner before as well.

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:50 AM

The fact that Jo supposedly did all that damage to Jason -- to me -- shows he WASN"T trying to hurt her and didn't hit her first, and it really was self defense. I know there are SOME women who COULD beat a man to within an inch of his life. But given the physicality of these actors -- unless she hit with an object -- then beat him while he couldn't really defend him self....no man--  even if he doesn't want to hit you back and tries NOT to -- is going to allow himself to get THAT beat up. The woman might get a couple of scratches and slaps in -- but even if a woman 'goes off, snaps and loses her mind -- ' she's usually just not going to be physically able to beat a guy like that. The damage to him looked like more than "he fell and hit his head, he was fine when I left." He looked like he was badly beaten, fall or no fall.

For that reason and the Alex "love" angle -- I'm out on that story line.

Arizona cheating -- really...really?

Mer/Der is the ONLY story line I'm caring about right now.

Edited by selhars, May 10, 2013 @ 12:55 AM.

Billsby

Billsby

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 12:52 AM

About Jo. When someone only grabs your arm, I don't think that you get huge bruises around the eyes and the mouth. You get those when someone's fist punches you in the face. Jo was hit, that's a fact.

Wasn't that the story,though? She started beating him and he hit her back in self defense which is why Alex said he should have just walked away instead. Which I don't see much logic in that since Jo would have obviously followed him to continue the assault. As sad as Jo's past is that is no excuse for attacking anyone the way she did. Just because there is a reason she attacked him for grabbing her arm doesn't mean consequences still shouldn't be suffered.

Jason's heavy wounds were an accident, due to a fall. Considering Jo's physical strength, she wouldn't be able to hurt him this way

When filled with fear and adrenaline Jo could very well cause the damage we saw on Meyer's face. I think the brain bleed came from the fall,but those bruises on his face was all her doing. Just because she's a smaller woman does not mean that she's not capable of doing major damage.

The worst is still completely dismissing the damage that Jo did to Meyer and forcing him to not want justice when he is owed it if it simply was him grabbing her arm. Again,they really should have showed it,because if he grabbed her arm and yanked her back forcefully I could understand the need to hurt him,but Jo only told Alex that he grabbed her arm and she took out her past monsters on Meyer.