14-22: "Poisoned Motive" 2013.05.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

13 replies to this topic

staveDarsky

staveDarsky

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

Two surprise sniper attacks on the NYPD leave the SVU squad scrambling for answers. When the link between the shootings appears to be Detective Tutuola, he reconnects with his former Narcotics partner in order to uncover a possible motive tied to their old cases. As the violence continues, Lieutenant Eames joins the investigation and the Special Victims Unit races to hunt down a killer no one saw coming.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 8:05 AM

Okay, so why did she want to kill the woman and her son?  Just because they happened to be living in her father's old house?

Xantar

Xantar

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

She seemed to be trying to commit suicide by cop at the end. Then again, maybe we shouldn't try to understand her motives. This is the person who decided to shoot Rollins just because...Finn paid too much attention to her or something? I did like how it seemed to strengthen their parttnership though.

Also, what was the point of having Eames there? She didn't do anything except provide some surveillance footage. That was disappointing.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:04 PM

So SVU came in second to Blue Bloods in the ripped from the Chris Donner Headlines case. With more time then even added details like a burned out vehicle being found.

Why she went to the old house? Without the FBI Special Agent/doctor on the team now lets just say because she was off.

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

Okay, so why did she want to kill the woman and her son? Just because they happened to be living in her father's old house?

Well, it was a foreclosure, so presumably they got it cheap!

Saw them as taking advantage of her family's misfortune?

I also figured she was trying to commit suicide by cop.  And hey, who else called it as soon as we saw her dad & her?

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

well as soon as they gave her bio. Army instead of Dorner's Navy service the episode was just the hunt. All suspence over who did it was gone.

Well Manicured

Well Manicured

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 7:56 PM

Predictible episode, and I didn't find any of it believable.

It's just another reminder that a lot of the time, SVU doesn't feel like SVU anymore. I like Rollins, but I miss Munch and Stabler. And Amaro, while nice to look at, is a characture of an alpha male. He might as well just puff out his chest in every scene. I want to like and consider him as great replacement for Stabler, but I mostly just find him kind of lame.

Maybe he just hasn't had time to grown on me yet, IDK.

Also, what was the point of having Eames there? She didn't do anything except provide some surveillance footage. That was disappointing.

I agree, she was sorely underused. If they're going to hype up her appearance, they need to actually give her something interesting to do. It was a ridiculous waste of the actress and character.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

First of all, I agree with all of you re: Kathryn Erbe/Alexandra Eames. What a bummer.

Where was Munch? He had been Fin's partner much longer than Rollins has been.

At least Fin - and to a lesser extent, Rollins - was the focus of this episode. At least wasn't "Olivia in Peril: Part 193,524,464,574".

Speaking of Rollins, she really has had a rotten year - first that whole drama with her no-good sister, and then she ends up shot a few months later. Poor girl.

Edited by catlover79, May 9, 2013 @ 9:24 PM.

seric26

seric26

Couch Potato

• Interests:shoegaze music; Dune; David Lynch; Samuel Delany

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

I also figured she was trying to commit suicide by cop.  And hey, who else called it as soon as we saw her dad & her?

Yeah, called it right then. She shot Rollins because she saw Tutuola protecting her in a way she thought he didn't protect her dad. And the new family was living in the house they should never have lost. Losing their mother to cancer was probably the straw that broke her, as she lashed out at Moriarty's character for messing up their insurance.

I've warmed to Amaro and Rollins, even though one is stubborn and the other can be willfully blind.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

I'd like to know who wrote this unflattering picture of Fin? I refuse to believe that he would ignore his former partner and his daughter. Fin has always had a soft spot for kids despite his tough attitude. I also agree that Eames was sadly underused.

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 1:48 AM

This episode was nonsensical. I know that post-Stabler they've been trying to focus more on the detectives' personal lives as a way to freshen things up but I don't think it's working. Even when there actually is a sex crime I think they're trying too hard to shove too many different things into an episode at once. It's high time this show was put to pasture. 

God, Rollins just has the worst luck. Although I thought she was moving around a bit too much in that hospital bed - wouldn't getting shot in the torso hurt too much for her to be gesticulating like she was, even with the drugs? I've broken both arms before and it hurt so much I could barely move my fingers. I also didn't like that Rollins apparently hasn't learned her lesson about not 'taking care of things' herself - she gets threatening texts from her bookies and some friend of Jeff's and decides not to tell anyone? What an idiot.

Oh, and I was not a fan of all the racist 'dragon lady' stuff the detectives kept spouting, or Fin and Amaro beating up that guy in jail. Basically this episode made all the detectives look like grade-A assholes. 

did like it when that guy's girlfriend snapped at Olivia about how difficult it is to work minimum wage and support a child by yourself. Actually this entire episode was a good commentary on how the system completely screws you over if you're poor and can't work. 

BruceMO

BruceMO

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

Let me preface this by saying that Mariska is a total MILF, but wow, that bulletproof vest did her no favors. It made her look as big as a house. She must have pissed off someone in wardrobe.

glitterintheair

glitterintheair

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 7:30 PM

Wholly, enjoyed the episode more than usual.

Didn't believe Fin woud blow off his partner; totally opposite of they character they've built. Are they just trying to run Rollins crazy? Called the dtr as soon as I saw her. What a run of bad luck for the expartna :/

Also, Rollins is probably my favorite these days!

MorbidPet

MorbidPet

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

I fell in love even before the opening credits - common! he carried her! my Finanda heart melted omg! - so I don't have much creative critique at all. They could have all been carrying clown masks for the rest of the episode and I would have loved it anyway.

But it's been a few days now and I've calmed down some and after have watched it about ten times now I guess I can say a few things;

* I do agree Eames/Erbes was underused. I like that character so it's a shame

* The sniper was quite obvious from the start, that's the trouble when you're a tv-holic, you recognize a familiar face and know she/he won't just be used in a single scene

* Ice T will not win any Emmys but I still love him

* I actually felt bad for Escobar getting the news of his gf's death right after/during taking a beating from Fin & Amaro

* Quite surprised Rollins was holding so many secrets (hey, S14 really was the season of secrets), threaths from people she owed money, her sister's & Jeff's friend and the Dragon lady. Ouch

But he carried her! Awww. Now if there only could've been a hug too...