4-22: "The Walking Dead" 2013.05.08 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

87 replies to this topic

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I still maintain that Elena winning her fight made no sense, however. Katherine was able to hold at bay both Damon and Stefan after being staked, no way Elena can overpower her.

Although there are enough plot-holes this season that fanwanking explanations for all of them would required a near religious devotion, I can get past this one (if not Elena and Jermey taking on Kol).  The only explanation for Elena being alive at all is Kat not really wanting her dead.

It's not that unreasonable.  Katherine is self-serving and all about survival, but she isn't generally unnecessarily homicidal. And, though she clearly finds Elena irritating and useless, she doesn't really have a reason to kill her.  Plus, Kat may well view her as sort of distant family, all she has left.  Or just find it weird to actually kill her double.

In any case, if Kat doesn't want her dead, then she may not be fighting harder than necessary to prevent Elena from succeeding, which baby-vamp to half-millennial is probably not very hard.  But being Katherine, she's pissed enough to still knock the shit out of her and kill her if it comes to it.

goodnight

goodnight

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

Damon has the cure. He'll hold on to it until he knows if vampire Elena is into him. If not, down the hatch!

Loved seeing Jeremy and Lexi. Kinda glad Bonnie "died," but sorta wish it would have been Elena. Human, vampire--super annoying victim in any form.

FireFoxy

FireFoxy

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

Lexie/Stefan and Damon/Alaric...My feels! Can Lexie and Alaric stay?!? I want Kol to live and be on The Originals. Rebekah still continues to be awesome. Meh on everything else.

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 4:55 AM

The only explanation for Elena being alive at all is Kat not really wanting her dead.

I could buy that, if not for the fact Elena was going to kill her instead.

Damon has the cure. He'll hold on to it until he knows if vampire Elena is into him. If not, down the hatch!

I doubt it. If anything, I think he'll be the one trying to convince Elena to take it.

Edited by Vedder, May 11, 2013 @ 4:56 AM.

Aoibheal

Aoibheal

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Urban Fantasy books, mystery books, historical books. Greek, Roman, and Celtic mythology. Almost every music genre. Jogging every morning. Camping. Sunny Beaches. All night rock concerts. Dogs. Jensen Ackles! Alexander Skarsgård!

Favorite shows:
    Buffy, Firefly, Seinfield, Veronica Mars, Arrested Development, Friends, Frasier, That '70s Show, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Gilmore Girls, The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, Alias, Scrubs, 30 Rock, House, Big Love, True Blood, Glee, Vampire Diaries, pretty little liars, justified, breaking bad, banshee, game og thrones, vikings.

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

Jenna died "pure" according to Esther, and wasn't trapped in the Other Side.  Uncle Jon was a human when he died, so he went to ... wherever non-supernaturals go on this show.

I was kinda hoping that because he was a hunter and not a bonafide supernatural creature like a vampire or witch, Jeremy would just go to normal people heaven and get to be with his parents. Because wouldn't that be the happiest ending for him? 

I love how no one in the shocares their dead loved ones are trapped as ghosts and unable to find peace. No one seems to care that Jeremy and Alaric are forever trapped and can’t be with their dead loved ones.? Jeremy’s parents or Jenna? I can’t believe no one in the show ever points out how horrible it is that those thousands (millions?) of souls are condemned to purgatory all because of one petty, bitter witch. Silas's is the evil one? Servers of nature my assWitches are the Worst.

Bonnie could at least try to find a way to help all those souls to move on without bringing them back to life, but it seems no one cares about that.

3) I'm pretty sure that if the world was coming to an end, at its epicenter would be Elena, talking about her feelings.

Jeremy’s death is all about Elena. I love how Bonnie wanted to bring Jeremy back because Elena needed him, not to free his soul. If Elena was the one trapped in purgatory you know everyone would be horrified.

Edited by Aoibheal, May 11, 2013 @ 10:27 PM.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

Some parts of the episode I enjoyed, others pissed me off.

So I'll start with what annoyed me the most tonight: Elena overpowering Katherine. WTF? Katherine could be surprised, injured, whatever, she would still beat the crap out of a newbie vampire. None of the excuses work. She sees Elena as family and didn't want her dead? Erm, no. Kat never saw Elena as family, and what good would it do wanting Elena alive when she kills you. She was injured? That didnt stop her from beating Damon's and Stefan's ass in the past after being staked. I seriously hope they send Katherine away before Elena sucks the awesomeness out of her, ugh, can't stand that bitch. Also her comment "I dont care about Bonnie" just really did my head in, she's such a selfish cow.

I admit it was nice to see some of the characters return, Alaric back with Damon, Jeremy finally saying goodbye to Elena (ND deserves props for her graveyard scene), Lexi with Stefan (normally I dont like Lexi but I liked her scenes this time), and of course my favorite return was Kol, wanting to kill precious snowflake Elena.

Hopfully (and most likely) Bonnie isn't dead. I do like her character and there is so much they can do with a witch on this show, and explore her background, but I guess Julie is too busy with the triangle of doom to care about anyone else.

Still loving Rebekah, and I like her dynamic with Matt. Although I don't see it being longterm, there's just so much that can go wrong with those 2.

I know no one cares about her, and probably few remember her, but I was sad not to see Pearl back. I know she wasn't a main character, and she has no business in MF again, but she was just too awesome to be killed that early, especially by friggin' John. I'd love to see a Pearl and Kat reunion, the two besties back together, and maybe throw a little Isobel in the mix. Perfect.

mimicall

mimicall

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 12:50 AM

Maybe they had Elena be a bitch to Caroline again to pave the way for Stefan-Caroline? If she'd apologized and made nice then some bro-code variation would still be in play?

My main problem with TVD is that a lot of dialouge seems really repetitive. Like everything Elena says. Or what everyone else says about Elena. Its just a time suck.

The rest of the time I don't try and make too much sense of the plot. That being said, I don't understand why Bonnie didn't open the veil, kill Silas/let him die and put it back up again? Seems like she has the power to do it... you know, die trying'

Edited by mimicall, May 12, 2013 @ 12:52 AM.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 4:48 AM

Did anyone else think that the way Damon knew Alaric wasn't Silas actually made no sense?

I thought that was awesome. A bottle hidden in the locker that only they knew about? If that's not proof then nothing is.

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 5:48 AM

I thought that was awesome. A bottle hidden in the locker that only they knew about? If that's not proof then nothing is.

It can't work. If Damon knows about it, Silas does too. If Damon doesn't know and it was just Alaric showing that he was the only one knowing about the bottle it doesn't work as well because it doesn't mean the bottle really exists.

Simply put, Silas is too powerful. He can read other people's mind and show them whatever he wants, the only way to figure him out is if he appears as someone that absolutely can't be there (like he did with Damon the second time).

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

Simply put, Silas is too powerful. He can read other people's mind and show them whatever he wants, the only way to figure him out is if he appears as someone that absolutely can't be there (like he did with Damon the second time).

I don't beleive the show has given him that much power. He can read minds, but from what we've been shown, he at least has to be in the vicinity of the victim. Otherwise even he would suffer from information overload with all those thoughts.

Direwolf33

Direwolf33

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Otherwise even he would suffer from information overload with all those thoughts.

It would be funny, though, if Silas was found curled in a fetal position because he gets the thoughts of everyone in Mystic Falls and thus there is just a neverending cacophony of "Elena, Elena, Elena, Elena, Elena" in his head.  

As for the scene with Damon, Ric and the locker, I can see why it works in this context. I think Silas can get what a person is currently thinking. And it seemed to me as if Ric brought up locker 42 on his own, without Damon "prompting" Silas to make that happen by thinking about it in this very moment. 

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

I don't beleive the show has given him that much power. He can read minds, but from what we've been shown, he at least has to be in the vicinity of the victim. Otherwise even he would suffer from information overload with all those thoughts.

This is probably true, but what I meant is that they made him too powerful for other people to be able to understand if the person in front of them is Silas or not. Except for some very specific cases, they've made it basically impossible.

Pucklady

Pucklady

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

I didn't get the Kol neck snap. He's still a vampire, right? He's just going to heal up and be even more pissed? Don't they have to stick him with a magic dagger to incapacitate him?

Also, Cindy - the reason Bonnie linked Katherine to herself was so that she would be able to tell that it was really Katherine and not Silas. Or Elena, for that matter.

Edited by Pucklady, May 12, 2013 @ 2:00 PM.

Ptzop

Ptzop

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

The Kol neck snap just knocked him out for a couple minutes (and annoyed him), like any vampire.
I wonder what would happen if you beheaded or otherwise very seriously incapacitated an original?

I didn't buy how Damon knew Ric was Silas..... it would have made sense if he was human, but Ric's a ghost. Not clear if the regular rules of time and space apply. They didn't all immediately come when the veil dropped, Lexi and Jeremy took their time in making an entrance.

Ferrari

Ferrari

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

I wonder what would happen if you beheaded or otherwise very seriously incapacitated an original?

I don't think they can be beheaded. I think they tried everything to Elijah's body when they had that dagger in him.

I didn't buy how Damon knew Ric was Silas..... it would have made sense if he was human, but Ric's a ghost. Not clear if the regular rules of time and space apply. They didn't all immediately come when the veil dropped, Lexi and Jeremy took their time in making an entrance.

Ric is supposed to be an Original vampire. It didn't make sense to me either since he could have used his super speed to get there fast.

Edited by Ferrari, May 12, 2013 @ 5:21 PM.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

The recap is up. I hope you enjoy it.

Direwolf33

Direwolf33

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

Another great one.

Oh, on the question of Silas mentioning he defeated the hunter`s curse in minutes, I took that to mean when the curse was place on him after killing Jeremy the hunter. Like he was haunted for five minutes before he fought the spell off permanently on his own.  

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Oh, duh. I should have realized that. Seeing Rebekah's ex threw me off. Thank you, Direwolf33!

seric26

seric26

Couch Potato

• Interests:shoegaze music; Dune; David Lynch; Samuel Delany

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

Kiki is easily distracted, the last thing she expected was a stealthy Elena, I don't mind Elena getting the drop on her once. The fight wasn't allowed to go on very long. I don't want Bonnie dead, but I do want Jeremy back, so I don't know how that's going to work out next week. Fewer Originals has already improved the show. Okay, just the absence of Klaus then. Tyler, come home!

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

Why did Elena cry and apologize right when she see Bonnie and then basically tell Caroline to fuck for the same thing? She tried to kill both of them, Caroline's mom, and said a lot of nasty things to Caroline. The way Caroline wont ever stand up to Elena is so annoying, it's fine because a different part of you said. She doesn't hold back when Klaus's dark side comes out. Ugh.

I liked the way Rebekah has sort of wormed her way into Matt's life and other than Caroline, is the only who is actually looking out for him proactively.

Ptzop

Ptzop

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:33 PM

Elena enjoys exerting power over Caroline, and has since episode 1.  Sometimes she is friendly and supportive, but she is never apologetic or puts herself in a position of weakness where Caroline is concerned.  Bonnie she respects, especially Expression Bonnie, for a variety of reasons. And probably not unrelated to the fact that Bonnie can kick her ass.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 1:07 AM

Kiki is easily distracted, the last thing she expected was a stealthy Elena, I don't mind Elena getting the drop on her once. The fight wasn't allowed to go on very long. I don't want Bonnie dead, but I do want Jeremy back, so I don't know how that's going to work out next week. Fewer Originals has already improved the show. Okay, just the absence of Klaus then. Tyler, come home!

Look, I can sorta buy this for the initial attack, even though Katherine was clearly on guard for the whole thing, but whatever, but the fight went on for a bit after that and Katherine should have been easily able to overpower her, instead of begging for her life. Seriously? I mean, granted, the whole older vamps are stronger thing only happens when the plot needs it to, but it's still idiotic that Elena could take Katherine out. Plus, it does make the other characters seem stupid for insisting Elena let it go, because she would lose that fight. Apparently not!

Katherine herself was able to fend off BOTH Salvatores even when she was already injured and they weren't in Season 2, when there was still some sense of continuity.

Why did Elena cry and apologize right when she see Bonnie and then basically tell Caroline to fuck for the same thing?

Well, the show sort of explained that by having the Caroline confrontation first, when Elena was still suppressing her feelings because she couldn't deal with them and she apologised to Bonnie AFTER she came to terms with them. But I agree that it was very jarring and I hope they include an apology to Caroline in the next episode, because she absolutely deserves one. And Elena's non-answer when Caroline asked her if she really thought those things about her did make it look like, yeah, she does.

It's like the show is going out of its way to make me hate Elena. I've stopped revelling in it already, now I kind of feel like I'm being trolled.

missbonnie

missbonnie

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 3:38 AM

Vicki. Lexi. Jenna. Alaric. Jeremy. Bill Forbes. Andie. Logan Fell. Pearl. Anna. Isobel. Uncle John. Elena's parents. Mr. Mayor Lockwood. Mrs. Mayor Lockwood. 

And therein lies my biggest compliant with this show. Quit killing off half the damn cast every season. It's annoying as fuck and I would like to see some of these people develop and grow a little more before they just kill them off for ratings.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Reading the recap just makes me love this show even more.  I really don't care if Bonnie is dead.  The writers haven't known what to do with her since the early days of Season 1.  I like the actress, but the character just needs to move on.  They can get a new witchie friend when they all go to college next year (you know, before they discover the military monster hunters living under a frat house on campus).  Even with all the Buffy rip offs, I really did enjoy this episode.  And I really did not see Bonnie's death coming.

If we get to keep any of the ghosties, my vote is for Jeremy, Alaric, Lexie  and Kol (so he can join the cast of The Orginals).  All the rest can go back where they came from.  I am still angry Anna didn't make an appearance.  I can swallow whatever bull they pulled out there butts for why Jenna didn't turn up, but I cannot imagine Anna not feeling a need to return to Mystic Falls, especially when Jeremy was running around there.  Hmmm...and on that topic....I wonder if he and Anna are a couple over there on the Other Side?  I hadn't really thought about it before, but they are both in the same place now so perhaps they have finally got to be together.  Happy thought!

Edited by ladyrott, May 16, 2013 @ 12:38 PM.

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

She tried to kill both of them, Caroline's mom, and said a lot of nasty things to Caroline. The way Caroline wont ever stand up to Elena is so annoying, it's fine because a different part of you said.

The most annoying thing about that scene, to me, was that it was Caroline who asked Elena if they were still friends. Are you kidding me? Elena should be the one groveling, not the other way around.

Oh but I forgot, she wasn't herself :rolleyes: .

billibee

billibee

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

I love how no one in the show cares their dead loved ones are trapped as ghosts and unable to find peace. No one seems to care that Jeremy and Alaric are forever trapped and can’t be with their dead loved ones.? Jeremy’s parents or Jenna? I can’t believe no one in the show ever points out how horrible it is that those thousands (millions?) of souls are condemned to purgatory all because of one petty, bitter witch. Silas's is the evil one? Servers of nature my ass. Witches are the Worst.

Bonnie could at least try to find a way to help all those souls to move on without bringing them back to life, but it seems no one cares about that.

This! 

I have generally thought this in all stuck spirit situations. I once went on a ghost tour in Savannah (the ghostiest town in the USofA I think) and I felt so sorry for all those innocents that died and supposedly hung around due to their pain. I don't really believe in ghosts but those stories still haunt me. Just the thought of it. It is funny how no one else I was with thought it and I kept thinking that is the power of otherness. It isn't happening to me so it doesn't register. Again, I don't actually think it is true but they make money off of telling such horrible stories and it seems that the point is to scare people but the point should be to treat people fair and right in this world or be haunted by the memory of what some humans, just like us had to endure.

That's why I hate seeing such disregard for these souls on the other side. I mean, within this universe, killing a supernatural being is 10 times worse than killing a human. And for those seeking solace in the fact that maybe Jer and Alaric are hanging out on the other side or Anna and Jer have the chance to rekindle something think again or re-watch S3. They are not having any fun. It is lonely and depressing as heck. I wish the concern could be about removing the veil between the real after life and supernatural after life. Don't these guys realize that with even originals biting the dust, eventually they will all end up in this hell? Waaaayyyyy more important than who loves who in this world. Please writers, pelase address this over the next few seasons. Before the series ends at least or I will seriously be disturbed. I'm almost watching the show just to be sure this awful element of the supernatural world is "fixed". And so yeah, seriously, losing a loved one sucks but Bonnie being worried about how Elena needs Jer and that's why she wanted to try and keep him there? No! Jer needs to be saved from the worst purgatory imaginable. That's why he and many others need to be saved.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

I can’t believe no one in the show ever points out how horrible it is that those thousands (millions?) of souls are condemned to purgatory all because of one petty, bitter witch..

Especially considering Queezy wasn't very discriminating with the net she cast; it not only would trap Silas and other immortal vampire-types, but it also traps people who are guaranteed to have limited lifespans: witches, werewolves, and hunters.  It begs the question of whether potential werewolves that never activated the curse (Tyler's dad for example) and potential hunters get caught too.  And some poor unsuspecting, non-practicing witches. "Yeah, so where am I again?"  "Oh, your great-great grandfather was a werewolf; you never killed anyone, but since you have the gene, welcome to a lonely afterlife."

If there were any justice, the veil would stay down inside the Expression triangle long enough for every supernatural creature who ever lived to get at least one chance to punch Quesadilla's ghost in the mouth.

billibee

billibee

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

Especially considering Queezy wasn't very discriminating with the net she cast; it not only would trap Silas and other immortal vampire-types, but it also traps people who are guaranteed to have limited lifespans: witches, werewolves, and hunters.  It begs the question of whether potential werewolves that never activated the curse (Tyler's dad for example) and potential hunters get caught too.  And some poor unsuspecting, non-practicing witches. "Yeah, so where am I again?"  "Oh, your great-great grandfather was a werewolf; you never killed anyone, but since you have the gene, welcome to a lonely afterlife."

Don't know why I hadn't thought of that but you're right! What a disgusting b!tch. The thing this show has done to the reputation of witches and their lore is terrible. And they keep doing it. I was even annoyed at grams this time. She seemed to know that using that kind of power could kill Bonnie and all she did was say something like, don't do this child just indicating it would be wrong and upset the balance not be lethal. I like to think if she knew she could die she might act differently? Well, no, a normal person might. The nutty Bonnie is always willing to risk her life for her "bestest fwend". The one who nearly killed her and totally just uses her.