12-33: "Top 3 Perform" 2013.05.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

45 replies to this topic

themadman

themadman

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

Having said that, however, I really didn't like her rendition of "Somewhere". "Somewhere" is a wistful wish; a hope that there's more ahead for us than the tough life and circumstances we find ourselves in now. 

Completely agree. Screaming it out isn't the way to handle the song. It's like she didn't read the lyrics properly.

And there were plenty of bum notes in her performance, including right at the end with the "where" of the final "somewhere". How come so few people noticed?

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

Completely agree. Screaming it out isn't the way to handle the song. It's like she didn't read the lyrics properly.

And there were plenty of bum notes in her performance, including right at the end with the "where" of the final "somewhere". How come so few people noticed?

Maybe if she'd built the song, so that the big notes at the end were more of a payoff, it might've been better.  But yeah, there were some bum notes in Somewhere and One as well.  Not enough that to make me not like her performances, but enough to make me a little resentful of the overeffusive praise from the judges.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music--Mandolin
    History
    Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Having said that, however, I really didn't like her rendition of "Somewhere". "Somewhere" is a wistful wish; a hope that there's more ahead for us than the tough life and circumstances we find ourselves in now.  Candace really tore it up, but it just wasn't right for the song.

Candice's accomplishment, if it could be called that, was not in interpreting the song, but in holding her own against the over the top orchestration, which would have drown out the other singers. It felt to me that she was being pushed, and I would be surprised if some in production thought it was their opportunity to thumb their noses as HCJ.

But yeah, there were some bum notes in Somewhere and One as well.  Not enough that to make me not like her performances, but enough to make me a little resentful of the overeffusive praise from the judges.

The other singers, notably Angie, had flat notes at the beginning of their songs. And I wonder if anyone actually listened to Angie's clumsy comping in the last song.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

I am a big Candice fan, but I didn't think her vocals were the best she's done--I also heard issues with the others songs.  I can't imagine this week for them--three songs to learn, the trip home and singing there for the crowd--their voices may be just shot from all that.

I think all three are really good--I like Candice and Kree the best, but no question Angie fits the mold that Idol aims for.   

I would love to see Candice win it but I will be ok with any of the three--they have all been good all season.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

Rd 1: I give this round to Angie and for me "Sorry seems to be the hardest word" was the performance of the night.  I thought Angie had her two best non-piano performances of the season last night.   Candice was ok on "One" but I think U2 is difficult on these shows because the songs really need to build and the less said about "Perfect" the better for Kree.

Rd 2:  I'd probably give rd 2 to Angie as well although I don't think anyone truly WON the rd.  Nothing was tremendously good but I thought Angie sang well and showed some real improvement so that gives her the edge for me.  And as I originally thought "Next to Me" was never going to allow Candice to have a moment.  And my unpopular opinion is that I thought "Here Comes Goodbye" sounded strained whenever Kree reached for those big notes.  I thought she was poor on that song.

Rd3:  I'd give this rd to Candice because she gave the best performance but I'm not sure it is going to catapult her to the finale.  I'm just not sure that was a true breakout performance that will generate votes from people not already inclined to vote for her.  I also thought this was a good rd for Kree.  I thought she sounded much better on this Band Perry song than her first two performances.  Angie's final performance was a take it or leave it type for me.

Prediction: Candice & Angie but the only surprise for me would be if the finale didn't include Angie.

Chocorokoroko

Chocorokoroko

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

Two weeks later, I watch the performance night again. Top 3 now, and it's a definite top 3 to say the least.

The homecomings we're really heartwarming, and easily my favorite part of the night. The singing was either mediocre or just not interesting to me. However, Candice sounds the most enchanting than the rest. Angie sounds as though she beatened up P!nk's song, but her first round sounds was tremendous.

Kree got train wrecked with Perfect. Poor girl. What was even more heart wrenching was her homecoming. Man. That girl still has my respect as a person.

For my prediction tonight: Angie is a lock for Top 2, and my wild guess (as to whose joining her) will be Kree.

It's so close, though, but not too the point where I care who makes it by now. Angie is just the only one who I can easily see making the Top 2.

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:36 PM

It seemed as if Kree didn't give Perfect a real chance.  I didn't see much effort. That song can be performed with a lot of emotion and be very touching. Where was her passion?  Her other songs were better, but I detest that song about the wife who will kill her husband and herself if he ever leaves her.  Terrible message when we are trying to decrease domestic violence, but her delivery was good.

Angie's first song bored me to death, but the second one was better.  The last one was so much like all of her songs that I couldn't take it.  I wish I heard this great voice with her that so many hear, but don't. She may have Marie Osmond's mouth, but Marie has a much better voice, especially when she was Angie's age.

I didn't like Candice's first and second songs, but the last one was okay.  I wish she had nailed it, but she didn't.  She could have. I guess nerves or emotion impacted the performance, but that's okay.  I don't think it cost her votes.  At least I hope not.  I tired to give her all my support. 

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

I did not see the whole show, but no matter - I know Angie is going through It's been preordained since the beginning. She has a pretty tone, but unlike the judges, I think she sounds best in her mid-range, and thin-to-shrieky in her upper range. A common problem on this show. Why they encourage that type of singing is anybody's guess. I don't think it's wildly popular in the real world.

The judging of Candice bugged me so much. It was so OTT that I worry it'll keep her out of the finals. We can hear, that song is famous, and for Randy to say that was one of the all-time best performances was absurd. Candice is my pick, but they aren't doing her any favors by over-praising her. Anyway, with Kree having the strong country voting bloc sewn up, I have worries about tonight. Because, like I said, we know Angie's going through.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though.

marie caroline

marie caroline

Couch Potato

• Interests:Brit soaps, reality shows,miniseries, reading biographies, mysteries and classic fiction, walking and people watching, particularly in NYC.

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

Not happy about the manipulations done with the singing order last night.   Especially not happy with the contestants NOT getting a chance to choose their own song or favorite from the season.

I think the second place and third place finishers from what I heard last night will be Angie/Kree.  To be honest, I think the vote is not skewed as it was when the show was more popular.  I kind of doubt anyone out there is do or die for any of the contestants.    Candice got the pimp spot, Candice cried, Candice did well but not as fantastic as the judges thought - but I do NOT see her going tonight. 

Between Angie and Kree, I would pick Angie.  But I would not be overly shocked if Kree squeaked past her.  I am sure the judges would be happy with that, because between Kree and Candice, I see Candice winning.   Either way, as has been said in previous posts,  all the girls are terrific so I will be happy with whoever makes it into the finale and wins.

sorry2004

sorry2004

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

Like the judges said Candice can sing anything...totally agree.  Kree can sing almost anything (just needs some emotion) and I would prefer that Angie sings NOTHING!

Edited by sorry2004, May 9, 2013 @ 2:19 PM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

The show spent a lot of time talking about Kree's late parents and then they give her a song called "Better Dig Two"?  That's a bit inappropriate.

Sure, but only in terms of the song title.  The actual lyrics of the song are about spouse murder!

Okay... good thing this board doesn't allow smileys.  There's NO smiley which could possibly encompass the awkwardness of that statement.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

But yeah, there were some bum notes in Somewhere and One as well.  Not enough that to make me not like her performances, but enough to make me a little resentful of the overeffusive praise from the judges.

My husband wouldn't stop commenting during "One" about how awful he thought it was.  I wasn't too impressed, either.  As for "Somewhere", yeah, I heard the bad notes, too. She was obviously trying to do the Barbra version, in which she really belts out the end, but I found Candice to be a bit screechy.  She has the potential to have a big, Barbra-type of voice--I've heard it from time to time during the competition, but I didn't hear it last night.  MMV, of course.

I thought Kree showed the most emotion during her second song, but I also felt she hit the notes better on the other two.  The second one seemed flat to me and I was surprised that the judges didn't say anything, but I suppose that could've been because of her home-coming package that they'd just watched.  It was pretty emotional. 

Angie was pretty good.  I'd be satisfied with any of the girls winning, but there's something about Kree that I just like--and I can't explain it because I do understand the criticism from others.  But, I do want to see her in the finals. 

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

I wonder if its fair to say the show was pimping Angie.  They didn't give her a SINGLE final performance in any of the three rounds.  And while it may have just been Nicki causing trouble, or being her usual blunt self, it didn't do Angie ANY favors to once again mouth the laundry list of bad qualities she's been called out for again... LOADED terms like "pageanty" and "fake", and dropping a comparison to Miley Cyrus (really, Miley doesn't look like Miley anymore, so Angie is like Miley two years ago... well.. except that Angie sings better than Miley).

Candice got the big pimping.  And in some ways deserved it (and in other ways it was just too much). 

I won't be surprised if its ANY of them going.  Angie comes from a voting base that historically doesn't show up for this show, then again she will get a lot of "Boston Strong" tribute votes.  Kree will get the Dead Parents votes, and the HUGE country base, but the downside with her in terms of voting is that America may be a bit tired of that, plus she really HAS generally had a bad second half of the season, comparatively.  Candice has the best voice, even accounting for the mistakes they DON'T call her out for, but this show's audience hasn't responded to anything approaching her vibe since Fantasia.  It skews old, even at its best or purest.

JanaMaria

JanaMaria

Just Tuned In

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

I honestly feel that all the girls are good and at this point, people will vote for the one whose style they like the most.  Country fans will vote for Kree, fans of powerful belters will vote for Candice, and those who appreciate Angie's singing style and songwriting ability (even though she only got to perform one original song) will vote for Angie.  I voted for Angie and hope she wins, but I don't think the others are at all undeserving.  I have voted for Candice in the past.  My only complaint about Kree is that I don't think she has the superstar potential that the other two have. 

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

My prediction is that she (Kree) goes home next week.

After tonight, there is no more "going home"; next week, one will win and the other won't.

Especially not happy with the contestants NOT getting a chance to choose their own song or favorite from the season.

It is "Promote Emilie Sande Week" on television. ;-)

Edited by LennieB, May 9, 2013 @ 6:38 PM.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

Especially not happy with the contestants NOT getting a chance to choose their own song or favorite from the season.

It is "Promote Emilie Sande Week" on television

This.  And not even a particularly effective "promote Emile Sand Week" at that since Candice should've been singing "Maybe" instead of Angie and "Next To Me" could've made for a really good country performance by Kree.  (In fact, when I first heard that song on the radio, I thought it was by Sugarland or someone like that.)