The Last Ship

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 2:11 PM

I just saw a trailer on this show and it looks amazing! Eric Dane is the lead with Michael Bay producing. So I'm sure this means explosions!

Jane (Adam Baldwin) from Firefly is in this as well, so I was in before I even saw the trailer.  I saw the trailer on The Futon Critc, and I dont want to give the secret away, even though its in the trailer, because its that good!! I am psyched about this show and can't wait for 2014.

http://www.thefutonc.../20130507tnt01/

Edited by Arynm, May 7, 2013 @ 2:20 PM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

So... we're going to have rampant misogyny and sexism, anemic plots with unlikable lead characters, and extraneous explosions shoehorned in to distract us all from the idiotic writing?  Yeah.... I don't like Michael Bay.

Also, what the fuck?  A pandemic?  Whatever happened to nuclear war (the apocalypse in the original book)?

Still, it has Rhona Mitra and Adam Baldwin, so I'll check out an episode or two at least.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

Adam Baldwin? That's enough to get me to at least give this show a chance.

Michael Bay? Um... right.... Shit. Well I guess I'll give it a chance anyway. Who knows, maybe he just put his name on it and had absolutely no input in the making of the show.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

This sounds like a mixture of 'Last Resort' and a Spanish show called 'El barco' (about a boat containing the last of humanity after a black hole destroys all the land on the planet - so, so terrible), both really crappy, both very cancelled.

I get that this is based on a book but I've probably watched enough apocalyptic boat shows to last a life time in the last year or so. I seriously doubt this super original idea will be any better.

Edited by Lebanna, May 7, 2013 @ 7:24 PM.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

I get that this is based on a book but I've probably watched enough apocalyptic boat shows to last a life time in the last year or so. I seriously doubt this super original idea will be any better.

Reading the description here sounded familiar, so I Googled the title.  I actually read the book years ago - well, I slogged through the first chapter before I couldn't take any more. One of the few times I quit reading a book before the end, but damn it was boring and drawn out.  Just on that alone, I don't expect I'm going to watch this.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

Still, it has Rhona Mitra and Adam Baldwin, so I'll check out an episode or two at least.

That's about the only reasons I'll be giving it a go because:

Michael Bay? Um... right.... Shit. Well I guess I'll give it a chance anyway. Who knows, maybe he just put his name on it and had absolutely no input in the making of the show.

Yeah, Michael Bay's name on any project now automatically make me give it the side-eye.  I can only think of one film of his that I would ever consider good (The Rock.)  One or two that are OK (first Transformers film, first Bad Boys), a few that have moments (Pain & Gain; mainly because of Dwayne Johnson), but the rest?  At best, stupidly entertaining.  At worst... oh, boy.

And it doesn't help that the trailer gave me Last Resort vibes, which sadly was one of my biggest disappointments of this season.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 12:40 AM

And it doesn't help that the trailer gave me Last Resort vibes, which sadly was one of my biggest disappointments of this season.

Yeah... they really need to stop trying to do Naval shit on TV.  Why? Well, budget aside (destroyer sets are either very expensive, require lots of CGI, or tons of stock footage which gets noticeable really quickly) TV is inherently a visual medium.  And naval warfare is inherently not.  Which leads to the kind of idiocy where a US Navy destroyer actually lets two helicopters get to within point blank range and fire (no doubt killing a few seamen) before taking them out with point defense.  Even if the Nathan James didn't want to spend a few SAMs to wipe that threat out from well over the horizon, the CIWS on those destroyers could reach out and touch them both from over 3km away.  Those things are used to take out cruise missiles, for chrissake.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

Man, I was kind of excited about this show despite getting burned on The Last Resort but several posts have depressed me.  It's a REALLY bad sign when the book, a show or movie is based on, sucks.

I'll probably tune in for the premiere because that's how lame I am but I'm not expecting much.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

A little Last Resort, a faint whiff of Crusade...I'm willing to give it a chance, though I'm not expecting really great things from it either.  OTOH, we could probably start a betting pool on how long before the terrorism card gets played in this thing...

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 3:46 PM

It premieres June 22nd! I vote the tag line as, "Michael Bay Sure Loves Ships" heh.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 3:55 PM

This better be really fucking good in order to justify taking Rhona Mitra from Strike Back.

(Ok, I know the actual causation is probably the other way around, but that's how it feels emotionally.)

Edited by Mars477, Mar 10, 2014 @ 3:56 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 7:54 PM

So... we're going to have rampant misogyny and sexism, anemic plots with unlikable lead characters, and extraneous explosions shoehorned in to distract us all from the idiotic writing?  Yeah.... I don't like Michael Bay.

Also, what the fuck?  A pandemic?  Whatever happened to nuclear war (the apocalypse in the original book)?

The Cold War ended and now we have the hope for a cure. So it is not completely hopeless like Walking Dead