26-13: "Don't Say Anything About My Mom" 2013.05.08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

354 replies to this topic

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 5:24 PM

I think it's pretty easy to see why Lisa was a fan favorite while Dawn isn't. First; Lisa is a beautiful person and we all know that influences popularity at all ages and in all genders. Studies have shown that even men tend to hire handsome men with less qualifications over less attractive, more qualified men. Second and most important; Lisa came into the game with an entire segment of the population already in love with with Blair.

I'm on record here as disliking both of them for the same reason. They both played back-stabbing, ruthless games while telling themselves and everyone else that it was far harder for them than for their competitors -- the underlying message being because they're much nicer people.

Thank you Judy the Obscure.

This is exactly the reason I don't like either of them.

Also they both have a lot of the "helpless female" going for them. Lots of tears and lots of turning to others for help for emotional support. Neither of them repay any of that, and in terms of the game of survivor, that's fine. I just don't want to hear what good people they are or about there children etc.

musica

musica

Fanatic

• Interests:I am musica, and my BIRTHDAY is every day! (I don't know how to write that in the proper space.) My age... I am not young, but I'm a not old. <br /><br />I joined because I love So You Think You Can Dance. I was told about this site--that it was very strict. I'm afraid of the other sites because there is very little authority. The Fox board seems very out of control!<br /><br />I also love music, too. I love Bebel Gilberto and Vanessa Paradis.<br /><br />My favorite tennis player is Rafa Nadal.

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

I must admit that I think Brenda is completely adorable. I got a kick out her cheerleading at a team challenge mid-season, enjoyed the smiles and winks, but her excitment at the possibility of apple pie at the loved ones challenge earned several rewinds of the ol' PVR.

I think Brenda is very pretty, and yes I really she seem to enjoy herself.

I just think  "the game" can be very stressful.

And you know maybe Dawn say to herself, "I appreciate Brenda help me a lot, but I have to keep focused on "the game."

In a way, I feel very badly for Dawn.  She is not old, but an older woman with her teeth missing.  I wonder if she got her teeth knocked out somehow because she is not that old where she would lose her teeth.  And you know, she is attractive for an older lady and in shape, too!  But she is still not on same level as Brenda and Andrea.  Then Dawn cry all the time, and get caught in an embarassing situation losing her retainer, freaking out, and Brenda come to help her. 

And then Dawn get all pissed because sharing barbecue with her husband was taken away. 

In her defense, I do not think she considered voting-out Brenda until Cochran mention it.  Sherri say she thought of it, but I do not think Dawn did.  So I would imagine she was still frustrated at missing out, and maybe that leaked through a little bit, or she just could not go against Cochran because then he would know she is shifting her alliance.

And then there is goddess Brenda just a beautiful girl, trying to be a be beautiful in spirit, yet she is a fierce competitor, too, not liking to lose.

She enjoy everything Survivor have to offer, and I think she really is probably the strongest competitor next to.... wait for it.... Cochran this season at least.  Brenda is beautiful and enjoys just being there.  And she is smart and strategic even though she let-down her guard for a moment.

I just do not think Dawn can even compare to Brenda except Dawn is still there by a miscalculation on Brenda's part. 

Edited by musica, May 10, 2013 @ 6:11 PM.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

I have a feeling Dawn would've pulled out that immunity win even if Brenda had dug deep like she said she would've if it was Eddie.  There have been a couple challenges where she's proved that she's really strong and tenacious.  In her original season, she won individual immunity once so I don't know why Probst was going on about her getting the necklace for the first time.

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

lalalal

I'm on record here as disliking both of them for the same reason.  They both played back-stabbing, ruthless games while telling themselves and everyone else that it was far harder for them than for their competitors -- the underlying message being  because they're much nicer people.  

I didn't like Lisa W. and I don't like Dawn for just this reason.  And the fact that they both cried buckets over their "fate" makes me wonder why they even bothered to play Survivor.  They're both hypocrites who thought that people would fall over for a godfearing Christian woman.

I think the challenge actually favored a certain body type - people with long arms.  I would have failed miserably. 

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

I thought that drinking water was somewhat scarce - how is Dawn hydrated enough to keep producing all these tears?

Everyone I have spoke with feels very sorry for Brenda (until I point out a few things - but we all agree that Dawn is horrible). I wonder what their reaction would be if Brenda hadn't sobbed in her good-bye speech. What if she had been more like Andrea and basically said "Wow, I didn't see that coming." Or if she had gotten angry instead - "Dawn is a backstabbing *bleep* and I should have never given up a visit with my dad so those *bleeping" *bleeps* could have family visits"

I wonder if the reaction would be different if Brenda still sobbed, but she looked more like Sherry instead of a young, cute, daddy-honoring, waif...

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

This is exactly the reason I don't like either of them.

Also they both have a lot of the "helpless female" going for them. Lots of tears and lots of turning to others for help for emotional support. Neither of them repay any of that, and in terms of the game of survivor, that's fine. I just don't want to hear what good people they are or about there children etc.

Completely agree.  Been sick of Dawn's crying for weeks.  And if Brenda helped her stay in the game emotionally, she has a good reason to be ticked at Dawn for turning against her the moment it was to her advantage.  Not that Brenda shouldn't have known better, but she's hardly the only person this season who misjudged Dawn.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:36 PM

I thought it was odd when Sherry fell to the ground crying when she found out her son was there too.  Her husband just sort of pats her back a couple of times and then pays attention to Jeff while she is a sobbing mound next to him.  It was as though he has seen this sort of behavior from her many times. 

Speaking of the family visits - If I were on Survivor (which will happen after I win the Super Bowl), I would tell my husband to use crutches when he came for the family visit.  This way, we could just visit while everyone else was trying to win the challenge and no one would accuse us of throwing it.  Plus, he might get enough sympathy that the winner might pick him to stay (if Jeff doesn't give the same option he gave Brenda).   

renatae

renatae

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:26 PM

Every time they do the "family visit" show, I want to smack Jeff and everyone else involved in planning and endorsing this smug sadist fest.

It does go to show: never win individual reward.  Never.  Brenda got absolutely fucked over by production for winning that challenge.  No upside at all for her.  It's not even like she could eat or whatever.

Everybody who wins a food challenge or family challenge or anything that people really need gets messed over by this misanthropic cast of producers and general miscreants. No matter what you do, someone will hate you. Some people will get much needed food, while others continue to starve, after, of course, having wonderful morsels dangled before their eyes.

The producers are a bunch of sickos. I only watch this show anymore because my disabled son likes it and wants me to watch with him. Otherwise, I'd give this horror show the boot.

ETA for fashionista79 . . . didn't Fox Mulder's parents call him "Mulder"? Maybe Cochran is "Cochran" to his famiiy.

IIRC, in his first turn, Cochran asked to be called Cochran and told Jeff it was because "everyone you like and who is a strong player, you call by their last name." 

Edited by renatae, May 10, 2013 @ 9:52 PM.

BurnXFreeze

BurnXFreeze

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

That was such a cruel reward challenge. Whoever won that was going to lose.

You know what I really hate about the loved ones challenge? You make these people fly halfway around the world, take time off from their jobs or studies, for one of two things: (1) spending just a few hours with the person they came to see, or (2) serving as a psychological chess piece. Does signing up for the game mean signing up your family, too? That's not right.

I really think Brenda is more devastated because if she could have made it to final 3, she would have won--and everyone knew this.  Brenda knew it, too.  And she should have not have played the trust card when there is really no trusting in the game of Survivor.

That's really it.

Maybe she thought she had an ally in Dawn, but Dawn was also a tight part of somebody else's alliance and she made people disappear. Brenda wasn't a part of those moves. Maybe she had reason to question the bond she made relatively late with a player who had an active role in the dominant alliance.

Meanwhile, I don't hate Dawn, but I've lost all my respect for her. You can cry about how hard the game is OR you can make the game hard -- you can't do both.

Edited by BurnXFreeze, May 10, 2013 @ 11:33 PM.

kikaha

kikaha

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 12:55 AM

I think the challenge actually favored a certain body type - people with long arms.

Actually, I think it's the opposite.  While I don't know physics, the challenge gets harder, the closer Jeff lowers them to the water.  Someone with longer arms is closer to start with, more stretched out, closer to horizontal. 

IMO this challenge favors shorter arms and smaller, lighter bodies.  Shorter arms mean you're closer to vertical the whole time: less strain on your body.  Lighter means you have less weight to hold up. 

A bunch of challenges this season have favored smaller, lighter people -- i.e. the women. 

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 3:03 AM

Yeah, you want to be short and compact for that challenge.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 8:54 AM

I didn't have any problem with it.   If Brenda wants to take inside-the-game disappointment and transform it into outside-the-game pain, that's her issue.  It's even worse that Brenda has been trying to position the vote of the 3 as some sort of MORAL disappointment, saying she had wished people were "better" than that, but too bad, they're not.  Shove it, Brenda.

I can get behind that.

Not that Dawn didn't pull a crummy move on her, but I definitely didn't feel bad for Brenda. This is Survivor.

yazoodelta

yazoodelta

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

I wonder if the reaction would be different if Brenda still sobbed, but she looked more like Sherry instead of a young, cute, daddy-honoring, waif...

I wouldn't feel sorry for Sherry because Sherry comes off as smug.  Personally, I think if Sherry was Dawn's pacifier/ personal diver, I think we might hear her say in confessional, "I can control Dawn.  She is just my new Shamar. I'm in control of this game!"  

honeycocoa

honeycocoa

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 7:01 PM

Dawn and Brenda had a relationship that felt very different than Brenda and Andrea. Brenda wasn't having to constantly comfort and rescue Andrea, she didn't develope the emotional bond with her that she did with Dawn. Brenda and Andrea both knew they were competiors playing a game, they also seem to be pretty friendly. Dawn was constantly breaking down so people would take care of her, and making promises about not betraying each other. Brenda thoguht she had a really close emotional relationship with Dawn, she and Andrea had a relationship that felt much different.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 7:06 PM

Andrea was also really close to Dawn, both on and off show.  And was similarly guilted by Dawn in a secret scene (which is Dawn's worst showing of the show, far worse than anything in the last episode).  Dawn voted her out too.

Andrea's just pretty cool.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

Just moved a bunch of posts about Dawn's Twitter account into Dawn's thread, since that's where they belong.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

I wonder if the reaction would be different if Brenda still sobbed, but she looked more like Sherry instead of a young, cute, daddy-honoring, waif..

I wouldn't feel sorry for Sherry because Sherry comes off as smug.  Personally, I think if Sherry was Dawn's pacifier/ personal diver, I think we might hear her say in confessional, "I can control Dawn.  She is just my new Shamar. I'm in control of this game!"  

I wrote the top quote and I wouldn't feel bad if what happened to Brenda happened to Sherry, or to Dawn, or to many others.  However, that was the point of my post.  I was wondering if part of the reason so many feel so sorry for Brenda is because Brenda is a small, young, cute woman and, thus, give more of an impression that she is needs protection.  Would people feel the same if she seemed "older and wiser?"

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

This scenario actually reminds me of Big Brother last season.  Dawn is Danielle, the overly-emotional player who has been weaponized by the mastermind (Cochrane/Dan) to make friends and collect information while doing the worst of the dirty work.  Brenda is Britney, the loyal friend who got the worst end of the deal because she was a genuine jury threat.

I can definitely see that, although I think Cochrane has done a much, much better job of getting the blood on other's people hands and managing the jury.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

I wouldn't feel bad if what happened to Brenda happened to Sherry, or to Dawn, or to many others.  However, that was the point of my post.  I was wondering if part of the reason so many feel so sorry for Brenda is because Brenda is a small, young, cute woman and, thus, give more of an impression that she is needs protection.  Would people feel the same if she seemed "older and wiser?"

Dawn and Sherri may be older, but I don't think they've done anything this game that makes them look wise. And if anyone has given the impression that they need to be protected (outside of TC, where she seems like a dead-eyed shark), it's Dawn and her constant histrionics and demands for help and reassurance. YMMV.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 11:50 PM

So, Dawn used her in-game friendship with Brenda to hoodwink and vote her out.  That makes her a horrible human being, in the game and out of it.  Rob M. used his out-of-game, much more long term friendship with Lex to hoodwink him, and it's because Rob is super smart, knows it's just a game, and Lex is just bitter.  Dawn will probably lose for the same reason that Rob M. lost to Amber:  people don't like getting screwed over by those they think are their friends.  If Dawn is a bad player because of it, then Rob is the worst.  I don't like Dawn--or anyone left on this season--but if it has to be one of those who are left, I'd go with Dawn or Erik for my preferred winner.  Dawn would get the nod only because she's been more active, from what I've seen of the season.

Edited by BDArizona, May 11, 2013 @ 11:53 PM.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 3:16 AM

Or, she could have put Dawn on the spot. "I will let Dawn decide, and I will go along with whatever she says."

This, FTW.

Anybody else thinking of voting for Francesca for the Fan Prize? I'm thinking Cochran gets it, but I'd like to give it to someone who had the misfortune of getting fucked by Phillip. Twice.

I'm all for that, Lantern7.  I have all season been hoping one of those who voted with her would win.  That was Erik or preferably Brenda; now, just Erik (bonus: he did not backstab Brenda).  I will be psyched if he takes it down.

If Eddie wins, the show is fucked up. I mean, I understand where certain jury members would be coming from, but -- IMHO -- it would be even worse than Parvarti winning the original "Fans Vs. Favorites."

I get where you are coming from, but I think it would make a kind of useful meta-game sense for the long haul if he were to win. It would be a pushback on the idea that someone who is not part of the dominant alliance can just be allowed to skate through because others don't respect him and they have their sights set on bigger fish to fry (to mix metaphors).

People will almost always vote for who they like more, regardless of how much of a fan they are.

Right, and why shouldn't they?

Edited by neplusultra, May 12, 2013 @ 3:17 AM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 3:26 AM

I would be stunned if Cochran doesn't win fan favorite.  Doubly stunned if he doesn't and neither does Malcolm.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

I thought that drinking water was somewhat scarce - how is Dawn hydrated enough to keep producing all these tears?

I have yet to see any actual tears flowing, just a lot of angst.

Regarding the loved one reward ... back in the first season when Sean won what he thought was a night on a yacht, he had to wait 24 hours because it took that long to fly his dad out to be there and surprise him. I miss that simplicity. The huge feasts the contestants get now are way above and beyond the simple plate of pasta Kelly got at the end as the only real food reward in season 1. The contestants now expect huge parties when Jeff says "Wanna know what you're playing for?" Erik personified that when he asked Jeff if there was food in the offering during the last immunity challenge in this episode.

These people are spoiled. I wish they'd go back to having the people dig for tapioca root for food, instead of having a BBQ every week.

(getting off my soapbox now...)

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

I dunno...they still look to be getting skinny, and very hungry (look how far Erik went after coconuts).

LanceM

LanceM

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 1:04 PM

I think Malcolm is the clear front runner to win fan favorite at this point.  The other two in contention are Cochran and Brenda, whose support on social media has been surging since Wednesday night's episode.  I don't think anyone else has a chance.