8-23: "Something Old" 2013.05.06

• Please log in to reply

66 replies to this topic

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

I kind of missed any details on the big meeting he was missing

It was about him getting the opportunity to design another building.

DreadPirate

DreadPirate

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

The stuff doesn't literally disappear.  Pickers come along and take it.  In this case, Lily and Marshall were the pickers. Ted left it there in the end, not them.

I wasn't saying that stuff left there is taken by aliens or unicorns. But it's always been a totally anonymous thing; one of the quasi-magical results of living in NYC, according to this show.

Not only did they not show M&L taking it back inside, they didn't even show any significant glances or body language to indicate that they *might*.

To me, the end result seems like a huge continuity error. Or perhaps they left out some of the behavioral hints on the cutting-room floor. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it. (But if it turns out that some portion of this episode was a dream, I totally called it.)

avenger314

avenger314

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

Regarding Marshall and Lily taking it back: I think I can fanwank it.  Marshall and Lily were watching from the window and saw how much it meant to Ted.  When he left, Marshall went and grabbed the beanbag chair again.  Someone was always looking at it.  Thus, the 'magic' in-universe didn't have time to kick in.

It occurs to me that mostof them are pretty jerky people.  The only ones who try to treat their friends well with any consistency are Ted and Marshall

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

I wasn't saying that stuff left there is taken by aliens or unicorns. But it's always been a totally anonymous thing; one of the quasi-magical results of living in NYC, according to this show.

I'm sure Ted was exaggerating while he was telling his story.  The items probably don't disappear as soon as no one is looking, but they just get taken so soon after putting them out that the three of them made up a joke about it. 

Edited by Dilandau, May 8, 2013 @ 3:10 PM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

As much as I'd love for Ted and Robin to work somehow, they never kissed or anything.  I think the writers aren't going to go into Ted and Robin again.

This episode bugged me. I think the only saving grace about the Ted/Robin thing is that there is probably going to be some huge Ted/Robin issue at the wedding that creates a huge scene (remember Ted is looking pretty shitty at the train station on his way home where he sees the mother) and the mother being in the band is going to witness it. And then it is going to tie things back to explain why Ted started telling his kids the story of how he met the mother, with the story of how he met Robin. 

ScriptLover

ScriptLover

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

The only ones who try to treat their friends well with any consistency are Ted and Marshall

I so agree with this. I am not saying these two have not had their bad moments but compared to other 3...well they are the epitome of selfishness. I cannot stress enough how badly these characters (especially Robin and Barney) have been written. No writers, it is NOT cool to have two jerks simply jerk around all the time and then have them kiss or wear sexy clothes and make their romance legen...dont want to wait for it! Not anymore.

It is their wedding time already and I just fail to see ONE single good moment between Robin and Barney. Given the way writers treat us with shitty non-funny screechy character traits again and again and again, I would not be surprised if Patrice shows up at the wedding with a well thought-out gift, Robin screams her lungs out, Lily gets super aroused by her screaming, declares her lingering feelings and acts all attracted to Robin for the 171th time, and marries Robin. Barney meanwhile would be shown tricking Ted into tricking a bridesmaid to have some sympathy sex. Marshal would be taking care of Marvin. Mother plays "Its a wonderful life" with her band.

OPP

OPP

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2013 @ 2:58 AM

I missed this episode when it first aired, but I figured I'd catch up when it re-aired during the summer. But, even though I taped the episodes CBS aired in the summer, I must have missed this episode again. And, I realized this episode is not on the CBS website, or on demand.

I've taped Something New on my DVR, and the premiere episode for season 9. Should I just go ahead and watch those episodes without watching Something Old, or does this episode set up what happens in those following episodes? Since the title of this show was Something Old, it sounds like it should be connected to the season 8 finale episode Something New so I'm wary about watching those episodes without first watching Something Old.